• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

JeremyR said:
Most of the loading in ME is masked by elevators (lots and lots of elevators), but the frame rate is a lot like KOTOR - good most of the time, but can get really choppy in combat when biotics (basically ME's version of the force) gets used. There were only a few battles that were really bad though, mostly just one where you fought a bunch of biotic *********.

Okay thanks, Orange Box it is.

TheDuce22

Banned
The framerate is nowhere near as bad as KOTOR and you can rent Orange Box and beat Portal in one sitting. Sorry to see you already made your choice. With no xbox live im sure you will regret it shortly.

Ventrue said:
Maybe the collection quests do count. I got the Asari achievement just before Virmire by doing every single side quest.

That's the thing, I DID do the collection side quests.

I'm thinking it's borked, because that's just crazy otherwise.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The framerate on the icy worlds is unbearable... especially that one where you have to take out a Geth outpost in a tiny valley surrounded by mountains. Ugh.

TheDuce22 said:
The framerate is nowhere near as bad as KOTOR and you can rent Orange Box and beat Portal in one sitting. Sorry to see you already made your choice. With no xbox live im sure you will regret it shortly.

I'll most-likely get it someday when the price drops. I'm too backlogged for a 40 hour RPG anyways, as I see it.

Mrbob

Orange Box on X360 is awesome. As much as I love ME, I can't really say to skip the Orange Box first.

I see you will buy ME eventually. Orange Box will keep you company for a long time.

TheDuce22

Banned
underfooter said:
I'll most-likely get it someday when the price drops. I'm too backlogged for a 40 hour RPG anyways, as I see it.

If you stick to the main quest, which requires basically no exploration, you can beat the game in 12. Im not sure why Mejilan has invested so many hours into Mass Effect if its so horrible in every way. Hell, even I didnt do all the side quests. Then again im one of those people who cant stand Halflife 2 so I know what its like to have an opinion that doesnt seem to fall in line with the majority.

Phthisis

underfooter said:

With no XBL for TF2, this is a silly decision, especially considering you're already played HL2. Essentially you're spending $60 on Portal and two 5 hour expansions.

Mass Effect was a better game, IMO. The technical flaws of ME are much more forgivable than people are making them out to be.

Mejilan

TheDuce22 said:
If you stick to the main quest, which requires basically no exploration, you can beat the game in 12. Im not sure why Mejilan has invested so many hours into Mass Effect if its so horrible in every way. Hell, even I didnt do all the side quests. Then again im one of those people who cant stand Halflife 2 so I know what its like to have an opinion that doesnt seem to fall in line with the majority.

You clearly haven't been keeping up with my impressions.

Mejilan

TheDuce22 said:
Seems more like nitpicking to me.

Only to someone who hasn't kept up with my impressions.

Edit - Not to mention, that pointing out some very obvious flaws to someone considering purchasing it, someone who specifically asked about those flaws, is quite called for.

TheDuce22

Banned
Mejilan said:
Only to someone who hasn't kept up with my impressions.

Edit - Not to mention, that pointing out some very obvious flaws to someone considering purchasing it, someone who specifically asked about those flaws, is quite called for.

The framerate was perfectly acceptable IMO. You call it an obvious flaw but I didnt even notice it after 40 hours of play. Some of your other complaints are just ridiculous. OMG, I FOUND 2 DATA PADS ON ONE PLANET, WHAT A JOKE!!!! To me thats nitpicking. But luckily this is an xbox exclusive and you are free to state your opinion without fear of the hive.

TheDuce22 said:
The framerate was perfectly acceptable IMO. You call it an obvious flaw but I didnt even notice it after 40 hours of play. Some of your other complaints are just ridiculous. OMG, I FOUND 2 DATA PADS ON ONE PLANET, WHAT A JOKE!!!! To me thats nitpicking. But luckily this is an xbox exclusive and you are free to state your opinion without fear of the hive.

It's not that relevant either, considering
SHEPARD JUST LANDED THE MAKO ONTO CITADEL SQUARE HOLY FUCKIN' SHIT!!!!

Jest kiddin, Meji...

;D

Mejilan

TheDuce22 said:

Eh, the framerate is inconsistent at best, but in SOME occasions, it drops down to game-affecting levels. He SPECIFICALLY asked about that, he got a couple of responses, and I chimed in with a very specific example. And in that example, when the shit framerate negatively impacts my ability to navigate, and especially my aiming, it REALLY bears mentioning. Get over yourself.

And it wasn't 2 datapads, but 3 Asari writings. Get your facts straight. And it's not like I pointed that out as some horrifying flaw, I merely mentioned it in my ongoing commentary of the game. Hell, I couldn't even tell you if most of these collection quest items were specifically planted by Bioware, or if it's something that's randomly generated (to a certain extent) when a new game is created. If that's the case, then this was merely an amusing RNG quirk, which I noted.

Speaking of the collection quests. All done. Excellent. Asari writings, mineral surveys, League of One medallions/ID tags, Prothean artifacts, Turian emblems. All done.

For the first time since the very beginning of the game, my number of outstanding sidequests is down to... 1. And I'm about to finish that right now by ripping this Geth outpost/bunker (#5) apart! Then, Noveria!

Edit - Also, and I'll mention this again, though I've mentioned it above once or twice, the sidequests not only get a bit better (more combat, less fetching/conversing) after that first massive batch of quests, and there's quite a bit less of them, so all in all, the pacing has improved quite a bit.

sangreal

I don't think its random, because I recall finding a similar camp with several asari writings. This was after I finished that quest too, which pissed me off.

Mejilan

Hmm, either way, it was a boon for me. I was missing 3, and found the 3 I needed all in one tiny abandoned camp. Good deal. Now I have like 6 extras, of course.

Anyone have a marginally specific number as to total sidequests? Now that I have 0 outstanding, I wouldn't mind knowing how many more I can expect.

arhra

Edit - Also, and I'll mention this again, though I've mentioned it above once or twice, the sidequests not only get a bit better (more combat, less fetching/conversing) after that first massive batch of quests, and there's quite a bit less of them, so all in all, the pacing has improved quite a bit.
I'd actually say the pacing of the sidequests is the biggest flaw the game has, overall - the fact that as soon as you leave the citadel, almost all the sidequests are instantly available, and they're all equally as accessible. I think they'd honestly have been better off pacing them so that you unlocked a chunk of them with each story planet (they do this a little, but not nearly enough), so that people wouldn't be tempted to go on what ends up being an utterly mind-numbing sidequest orgy, and only once they've finished that head off to the story planets (although if you have eliminated most of the sidequests before the major story planets, you've got a more-or-less uninterrupted mindnumbing orgy of awesomeness awaiting you).

Anyone have a marginally specific number as to total sidequests? Now that I have 0 outstanding, I wouldn't mind knowing how many more I can expect.
No hard numbers (because i can't be arsed loading up one of my saves to count), but a couple more clusters open up after you finish Feros and Noveria (not sure if you've done Feros or not, yet), and there are story-planet-based sidequests on both planets, along with possibly a few more UNCs to pick up on them (although if you've thoroughly explored everything, there's probably a good chance you've already done them).

Oh, and there's a couple of systems that pop up in an existing cluster if you hit 80% paragon/renegade, along with an quest that depends on which alignment you unlocked them with (i think you may have already unlocked those, though, as i think one of them was the planet with the three asari writings...).

Like i mentioned above, though, the vast majority of the sidequests are available instantly as soon as you get off the Citadel.

Mejilan

Yeah, the parceling out of the sidequests is very uneven. I'm very happy to have most of them out of the way now. I finished Feros (including the optionals within that main quest, and all of the ones that were spawned afterwards as well) and am in Noveria now. About 42 hours on the clock. And NO sidequests pending. Good feeling.

I think I might have done the Paragon quest(s) earlier without knowing it. I found a way to glitch up unlimited Paragon and hit passed 2000 before I finally decided enough was enough. :D

arhra

Kadey said:
I just beat the game, are there multiple endings?
4, roughly (well, between 2-8, depending on what you count as a 'different' ending), based on your overall alignment and your decision in the 'big' choice at the end, with variations based on your last, more minor decision in the closing dialogue segment.

To sum it up with a minimum of spoilers:
council lives or dies, alignment changes the overall tone of the dialogue in the final scene and the opinion the council expresses about humanity (if they survived), or the outlook/makeup of the future rebuilt council (if you let the council die), and Anderson and Udina have their own dialogue depending on who you choose to be on the council at the end (if you don't choose either, i believe it picks a default based on your alignment - Anderson for paragons, Udina for renegades)

IoCaster

Mejilan said:
The framerate on the icy worlds is unbearable... especially that one where you have to take out a Geth outpost in a tiny valley surrounded by mountains. Ugh.

Heh...that's the one with the Geth Collosus that gave me so much trouble. The visibility in that valley made it very difficult to pick out those rocket spamming geth grunts. Plus that narrow pass limited maneuverability for the Mako to such an extent that it was easier to hop out and use the sniper rifle. Of course all it took was one hit from an energy bolt to fry my ass. Took me a while to clear that outpost since I did so much dying and reloading.

dralla

ok so I got this for Christmas and I'm totally bored out of my mind so far. I'm not going to judge the story since I'm still early on, but I'm not really feeling any of the characters or the world itself, everything feels so static and life-less. plz tell me it gets better

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
arhra said:
4, roughly (well, between 2-8, depending on what you count as a 'different' ending), based on your overall alignment and your decision in the 'big' choice at the end, with variations based on your last, more minor decision in the closing dialogue segment.

To sum it up with a minimum of spoilers:
council lives or dies, alignment changes the overall tone of the dialogue in the final scene and the opinion the council expresses about humanity (if they survived), or the outlook/makeup of the future rebuilt council (if you let the council die), and Anderson and Udina have their own dialogue depending on who you choose to be on the council at the end (if you don't choose either, i believe it picks a default based on your alignment - Anderson for paragons, Udina for renegades)

What a letdown.

Mejilan

Last I heard, Bioware didn't do KotOR II, for what it's worth.

Haha, just got to Peak 15 on Noveria, and I was awarded the Completionist achievement, apparently for doing most of the game.

I guess they mean most of the sidequests! :lol

Mejilan said:
Last I heard, Bioware didn't do KotOR II, for what it's worth.

Haha, just got to Peak 15 on Noveria, and I was awarded the Completionist achievement, apparently for doing most of the game.

I guess they mean most of the sidequests! :lol

Well, the plot only consists of like six or seven "things" so it makes sense that you'd get it with only three or four out of fifty or sixty "things" to do.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So I just finished my Hardcore playthrough, got the achievement and it said I'd get a gamerpic. I did some Googling and found out that it's a pic of Saren, but when I checked my gamerpics, I couldn't find it. Do I have to wait for the pic to load or am I supposed to get it at a certain place or section in the menu?

Kittonwy

Banned
Just finished the game a couple of hours ago. A nice ending, the boss fight was alright but the framerate was CRAZY. I'm not sure if I'll go back to it.

Romance question:

So I'm on my 2nd Playtrough, on the first one I got Liara, now I'm trying to get Ashley but she is a pain in the ass, I feel like a complete freakin idiot always trying to be charming but the dumb cow always saying something stupid, so during one conversation (about her family/grandfather) I pick the Intimidating dialog option (red one) just for the hell of it, so my question, is there any chance to still get the romance plot with Ash. I was nice all the other times though :D

Hellraizer - Should be able to still romance Ash. I did a few renegade options on Liara and still got her.

On another note: am I the last person to realize the "kill X people with gun Y" or "use tech/biotic X, Y number of times" achievements actually enable great benefits on consecutive playthroughs?

IE, I just got the Assault Rifle achievement. I can now get any class to now to have assault rifle training in the beginning of the game :)

:) Very nice!

Walshicus

dralla said:
ok so I got this for Christmas and I'm totally bored out of my mind so far. I'm not going to judge the story since I'm still early on, but I'm not really feeling any of the characters or the world itself, everything feels so static and life-less. plz tell me it gets better
Did you press the start button on the title screen?

Mr Killemgood said:
Hellraizer - Should be able to still romance Ash. I did a few renegade options on Liara and still got her.
I have the feeling Liara is easier to get.

On another note: am I the last person to realize the "kill X people with gun Y" or "use tech/biotic X, Y number of times" achievements actually enable great benefits on consecutive playthroughs?

IE, I just got the Assault Rifle achievement. I can now get any class to now to have assault rifle training in the beginning of the game :)

Yeah, thats a nice feature. Also all those "Ally" Achievements give you status boosts (like +10% cooldown bonus), and the Level 50/60 Achievements give XP bonuses. Almost every (not main story specific) achievement has some bonus for the characters.

Mr Killemgood said:

Does that go for old profiles on a new playthrough??

:O

arhra

BenjaminBirdie said:
Does that go for old profiles on a new playthrough??

:O
No. The passive bonuses (xp bonuses for completionist/power gamer, etc) apply to every character (and as soon as you unlock the achievement), but you can only add bonus talents to new characters.

arhra said:
No. The passive bonuses (xp bonuses for completionist/power gamer, etc) apply to every character (and as soon as you unlock the achievement), but you can only add bonus talents to new characters.

Oh okay. Thenks....

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I just landed on
Feros
. This game is INCREDIBLE! I can't believe how some of you say it's boring... I am TOTALLY addicted to the story, the people, and the galaxy. I've played until 2:00 am two nights in a row now!

Also: Please be careful with spoilers. A lot of people got the game for Christmas so please be considerate.

Solo

CajoleJuice said:
I remember you being a massive fan of Bioshock, so for you to like ME better it has to be absolutely incredible. Gonna play some more now.

Yup. Bioshock was my front-runner for GOTY right up until Mass Effect. Its still and incredibly close #2 now, though.

And yes, go play!

Sysgen

I just finished the game last night. Purposely skipped many side quests since I'm going to play through again. The writing in Mass Effect is some of the best I've ever been exposed to. I've read Gene Wolfe and Peter Hamilton and the writng here is right up there with the greats of Sci-Fi / Fantasy.

RSTEIN said:
I just landed on
Feros
. This game is INCREDIBLE! I can't believe how some of you say it's boring... I am TOTALLY addicted to the story, the people, and the galaxy. I've played until 2:00 am two nights in a row now!

Also: Please be careful with spoilers. A lot of people got the game for Christmas so please be considerate.

Have you gotten to the part where
you find out that Shepherd is secretly an amnesiac?
That's honestly where I started to lose interest in the game.

Walshicus

Captain Glanton said:

What? That's not in the game...

Domino Theory said:
So I just finished my Hardcore playthrough, got the achievement and it said I'd get a gamerpic. I did some Googling and found out that it's a pic of Saren, but when I checked my gamerpics, I couldn't find it. Do I have to wait for the pic to load or am I supposed to get it at a certain place or section in the menu?

It is a pic of Saren as the
final boss. So look for a gamer pic with red glowing shit coming out of the eyes and mouth.

Azih

Captain Glanton said:
Whoah, what are you talking about? I didn't see anything like that.

Top Bottom