• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Kweh

Do your AI team mates automatically use their talents when in battle? For instance, Wrex has Warp, and I noticed in the radial menu, i can use them manually in open play, do i have to in battles aswell?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kadey said:
I remember getting the Colossus VIII for Tali in Noveria from the hanar.

Damage-63
Shields-315
Tech/Biotic Protection-34

Far better than anything she ever got. I mean, she was dying more than Liara before getting it despite having better combat prowess.

Whoa even Tali has a colossus armor???

Kweh said:
Do your AI team mates automatically use their talents when in battle? For instance, Wrex has Warp, and I noticed in the radial menu, i can use them manually in open play, do i have to in battles aswell?
Go to the options -> gameplay menu and adjust it. You can set your squad to fully use their abilities, or only use defensive abilities (shiled boost/barrier) or you can turn it off completely and do all the input in combat by yourself (which is the most fun anyway)

Played a bit more tonight. Finally learning how to use the abilities, different weapons and party members effectively. Jesus, this game is so fucking cool. I love sci-fi stuff, and ME is just awesome.

Walshicus

affableamerican said:
Quarian armor *is* rare, but a properly leveled Tali (plus a few Shield Boost upgrades in a dual-slot armor) has some of the best shield levels of any character in the game. Tali is a must in my squad.
Makes sense though; there are supposed to be just 50 million Quarians in a Galaxy of trillions of people right? When we innevitably get to visit the Quarian rag-tag-fleet, in DLC or a sequel, I expect we'll have an abundance of Quarian armours to buy... :D

Sylar

Banned
I don't know how to level the noobs in this game, nor do I know who to pick for my party :(.

Soo I picked the guy who looked like arliss or w/e that spectre was in the begining and the hot chick (not the robot one) and just do auto level.

Am I borked?

Kweh

Hellraizer said:
Go to the options -> gameplay menu and adjust it. You can set your squad to fully use their abilities, or only use defensive abilities (shiled boost/barrier) or you can turn it off completely and do all the input in combat by yourself (which is the most fun anyway)

Thanks. Totally missed that option when i looked there before.

Walshicus

Sylar said:
I don't know how to level the noobs in this game, nor do I know who to pick for my party :(.

Soo I picked the guy who looked like arliss or w/e that spectre was in the begining and the hot chick (not the robot one) and just do auto level.

Am I borked?
Everyone in your party has the same level. None of them level any faster or slower because your XP pool is for the party as a whole.

Arliss? You mean Nihilus the Turian Spectre? Yeah you have Garrus and Liara in your squad. The other one - Tali - isn't a robot either.

Sylar

Banned
I have Garrus and Ashely in my squad. Also I meant as in which party members to pick to equally balance out the team, not level wise :p. I haven't unlocked the other girl yet.

As for not knowing how to level, I don't know how to correctly manage them, so I just have the game auto level the party members and I level myself.

knitoe

neojubei said:
Whoa even Tali has a colossus armor???

Everyone has every type of armor, including Colossus. Easiest way to get the armor, weapons and etc. you want is by using saving and reloading game option on the vendor that sales the armor type you need. If his / her / it does not change after inventory after reload, you will need to complete another step in the main quest.

Seems like I keep on having to repost this whenever anyone ask about finding items. :D

Walshicus

Sylar said:
I have Garrus and Ashely in my squad. Also I meant as in which party members to pick to equally balance out the team, not level wise :p. I haven't unlocked the other girl yet.

As for not knowing how to level, I don't know how to correctly manage them, so I just have the game auto level the party members and I level myself.
Ahh, Ashley... Hah, I'm a bit bemused that I've reached that "certain age" at just 22, but I think Tali's a lot sexier than Ashley. It's her figure around the waist I think. :s

Any squad with at least 1.5 worth of Soldier is going to do fine. If you have Ashley and Garrus in it you'll be fine, since that's at least 1 whole soldier and one half soldier.

Sylar said:

Am I borked?

I can't help but to be slightly sickened by this post :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
RubberJohnny said:
On my seond playthrough I found the Colussus X armour for her in Morlans shop in the Lower Markets.

I'll have to try that.

knitoe said:
Everyone has every type of armor, including Colossus. Easiest way to get the armor, weapons and etc. you want is by using saving and reloading game option on the vendor that sales the armor type you need. If his / her / it does not change after inventory after reload, you will need to complete another step in the main quest.

Seems like I keep on having to repost this whenever anyone ask about finding items. :D

ouch.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
is colossus supposed to be the best armor? at item level VIII or so, the 'predator l/m/h' series seems to have better specs, with the final letter corresponding to the armor weight. maybe that changes at the highest levels.

arhra

knitoe said:
Everyone has every type of armor, including Colossus.
Not strictly true - there are a few that only come in variations for particular races (Wrex gets Battlemaster, Rage, and Warlord, which are all Krogan-specific, and Garrus gets Phantom, which is Turian-specific, and matches the armour that Nihlus wears at the start of the game).

is colossus supposed to be the best armor? at item level VIII or so, the 'predator l/m/h' series seems to have better specs, with the final letter corresponding to the armor weight. maybe that changes at the highest levels.
Depends whether you prefer raw mitigation, or shields. They're both great, and it's not like the game is ever hard enough at high levels that that degree of min-maxing is required, so just go with which one you think looks better (or whichever one you actually have, if you can't be arsed searching out the other).

Hootie

Wow, just a simply amazing game; a masterpiece.

I just finished it up yesterday...COMPLETELY above my expectations, and I want more. :lol

There's something about this game...the atmosphere, the dialouge...it's too good. I've never even played a game close to this in terms of character interaction. Now every game I play seems inferior because of this. I keep thinking about the enviroments and the whole idea of the game too, it's taken over me the past couple of days. (Halp!)

As for the end, it was most definitely the high point of the game; amazing cut scenes, huge decisions, and a huge cliffhangar ending. For the decisions themselves, I chose
to save the Council. I believe, if Bioware/EA stays with their plan to "carry all of your decisions on to the next game", that it will be a good thing that the Council is still there. Even though my character didn't exactly like them throughout the story, they seemed to respect the humans a LOT more after the battle, going as far as to have Captain Anderson (I chose him) to join the Council. I also never realized what a dick Udina was until the end of the game. I tried to get on his good side the entire story, but I finally found out he's a dirtbag. I can't wait to see what happens with the Reapers in ME2...should be epic. One other thing is that I really hope the Citadel is open in the next game, I loved walking around there, seeing everything and talking to everybody. Hopefully Bioware will add a lot more places to visit in the Citadel, too.

Well, off to start my second playthrough, hopefully its just as fun as the first.

Quick question.

I just rented the game and am about to pop it in. I moved my 360 to a room without internet access for the better TV. Is there an automatic update that I should get first, by moving it back to the other room?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
This game continues to amaze and shock me.

Ashley just shot Wrex and I think I just sent Kaiden to die with the Salarians :(

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Two questions/concerns:

1) I'm taking a break from ME, but once I go back, I'm going to be starting my third playthrough, but this time on Insane. I was just wondering how Insane plays. Tougher than you expected? Easier than you expected? (Lvl 57 Vanguard, btw.)

2) I can't find the Battlemaster X/Rage X armor for Wrex to save my life. :( :(

SuperBonk

RSTEIN said:

Ashley just shot Wrex and I think I just sent Kaiden to die with the Salarians :(

Spoilers!

I was in the exact same situation and got pretty pissed off at Ashley. I chose Kaiden to go with the Salarians though. Continue reading only if you want to know what happens.

I thought Kaiden was going to die too, but the real choice comes at the end of the level. You can either stay with Ashley or go save Kaiden. Since Ashley killed Wrex, I went to save Kaiden and let her die. The cutscene of her fighting the geth while the nuke goes off is very nice though.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
RSTEIN said:

You could have saved the former.

BenjaminBirdie said:
"Come out to the coast, have a few laughs..."

Haha, was that a Die Hard quote?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
BenjaminBirdie said:
Is there any other kind?

;D

All you gotta do is go pick up a kid in New Jersey, and drive him down to D.C. How hard can that be, huh? Can't be that hard, no, can it?

FINALLY, after about 4 hours of playing I'm getting pulled into the game. I'm understanding how to upgrade weapons and ammo, and am finally caring about the story and characters. I knew it was only a matter of time. Great game now too.

Ventrue

Domino Theory said:
Two questions/concerns:

1) I'm taking a break from ME, but once I go back, I'm going to be starting my third playthrough, but this time on Insane. I was just wondering how Insane plays. Tougher than you expected? Easier than you expected? (Lvl 57 Vanguard, btw.)

Insanity is hard at first but it is pretty easy at the higher levels (40+ish). Once you get up there, it's not really very difficult because you rarely die, your gear being so good. It just takes forever to kill everything.

Ventrue said:
Insanity is hard at first but it is pretty easy at the higher levels (40+ish). Once you get up there, it's not really very difficult because you rarely die, your gear being so good. It just takes forever to kill everything.

This got me really thinking about the sequel in terms of bringing things over. I'm interested in how they handle your armor, skills, etc if they intend to bring that over. Some of the classes and such tend to get invincible, if not completely broken. A Bastion Adept is damn near invulnerable with infinite stasis locks and just destruction in general. Thats the only thing I'm concerned with for a possible sequel, is balance in terms of bringing over leveled characters, armor, weapons, etc. Either way I see it as a good thing to push the combat system to a new level for the sequel. It should get Bioware thinking hard.

Hootie said:
Wow, just a simply amazing game; a masterpiece.

I just finished it up yesterday...COMPLETELY above my expectations, and I want more. :lol

There's something about this game...the atmosphere, the dialouge...it's too good. I've never even played a game close to this in terms of character interaction. Now every game I play seems inferior because of this. I keep thinking about the enviroments and the whole idea of the game too, it's taken over me the past couple of days. (Halp!)

Glad to hear you liked it. And the upside is that if you've ever played a BioWare game, this is probably their worst work in terms of character interaction within your party and a few other things in general. I think we're in for a much better experience in the sequel.

hoos30

I finished my first playthrough the other day and I've been smilng ever since. This game is frakin' AWESOME.

Bioshock may be GOTY on technical merit, but ME is now one of my all time favorites. The cinematic feel of
Ilos
and beyond were worth every slog through an uncharted world.

I think I'm going to have the shakes every day until ME2 comes out. C'mon Bioware/EA! I need another fix!!!!!

Hootie

Dark FaZe said:
Glad to hear you liked it. And the upside is that if you've ever played a BioWare game, this is probably their worst work in terms of character interaction within your party and a few other things in general. I think we're in for a much better experience in the sequel.

Actually this is my first Bioware game I've ever played. I would've played KOTOR 1 and 2, but I can't stand RPGs that don't give you the ability to run around and fight without having to give the command. Games like ME and Oblivion are the RPGs that really appeal to me, I love the absolute freedom of it.

Mr.City

I just got this game yesterday, and holy wow at the graphics. The combat is a mixed bag though. It seems like I need to babysit my squad members, but the customization options make me want keep going. There's something I'm wondering about though. Can I trust the computer to apply the skill points of my other squad members to the proper attributes if I set to autolevel them?

Mr.City said:
I just got this game yesterday, and holy wow at the graphics. The combat is a mixed bag though. It seems like I need to babysit my squad members, but the customization options make me want keep going. There's something I'm wondering about though. Can I trust the computer to apply the skill points of my other squad members to the proper attributes if I set to autolevel them?

They'll do a decent job. I do it myself though, as its not to worrisome. The main issue I have with auto-levels is that the cpu typically will level up multiple weapons for your party members. If you'd like them to be more versatile in that way, then its fine, but I've never found a need for my party members to use more than their main weapons other than Garrus, who I had sniping quite a bit.

Ventrue said:
Eh, Jade Empire was worse.

I damn near forgot about that games existence :D .

RSTEIN

Mr.City said:

I haven't finished the game and by no means am I an expert but I wouldn't auto-level. There are certain skills that you can unlock when specific talents reach a certain level. For example, when you rank up with Assault Rifle you can unlock the overkill talent - which I'd say is a must for a combat-centric character (e.g. Wrex & Ashley). Another cool one is Carnage which gives your shotgun tremendous firepower (almost turns it into a rocket launcher!). The same goes for biotics/tech. You need lift/stasis/decryption/overload/etc. Master overload or sabotage is deadly!

I wouldn't want the computer giving my guys first aid, fitness, or whatever when these combat skills are essential in certain big fights in the game. Also, if you purchase the upgrade to cary more medi-packs then having your guys have 10, 20% more health is kind of a mute point (plus you get heavy armor with awesome shields).

Just my $0.02.

Wraith

I've put about 26 hours into this game since I first started it around 9pm on Thursday. So basically, it's hitting me like every BioWare game has aside from Jade Empire. I don't want to sleep, I don't want to eat, I just want to PLAY THE GAME. Really incredible experience so far. I've done every sidequest available, so I'm just about to hit
Vermir

My only issues with the game so far are the ones already mentioned: Side quests are kind of generic/repetitive; framerate is inconsistent; Character interaction seems way lower than it was in other Bioware games; etc. The main story is really fantastic, though. Can't wait to plug on through the end.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I loved my cold, nasty, cut-throat bi-sexual bitch Sheppard. Nothing topped seeing her
laugh in the face of the Asari consort, bump uglies with her
then leave, completely unimpressed. :D

JdFoX187

Banned
This has probably been asked already, but how many sidequests do you have to complete to get the completionists and allies achievements?

arhra

I wouldn't want the computer giving my guys [...] fitness
You realise that Fitness gives you the Immunity skill, right? Which basically becomes god-mode at high levels. Hell, even at fairly low levels and on Insanity, Wrex becomes basically unkillable if you spec him for tanking (concentrate on armor/fitness/barrier/krogan battlemaster talents).

Also, first aid counts the total healing granted by the first aid talent across all of your active party members, rather than just picking the highest, so it's a good idea for everyone to have at least a point or two in first aid.

As far as auto-levelling goes, though, i'd say avoid it. But remember that you can hit Y on the level up screen to see what it suggests (then clear the suggestion by hitting X and spend the points yourself, if you disagree with it).

RSTEIN

arhra said:
You realise that Fitness gives you the Immunity skill, right? Which basically becomes god-mode at high levels. Hell, even at fairly low levels and on Insanity, Wrex becomes basically unkillable if you spec him for tanking (concentrate on armor/fitness/barrier/krogan battlemaster talents).

Yes, I have the immunity skill. With respect to immunity in general, I find that I'm never really at death's doorstep enough to warrant an investment in it.

Finished it last night. Despite its many flawes. Awesome awesome game.:D

One thing however, I really couldn't get myself to playing the sub quests once
sovereign revealed the real plot. Suddenly the other missions just didn't seem to matter anymore once I knew the entire galaxy was at risk.
Did a few extra missions but then went on to the roller-coaster ride at the end.

Kastro

Banned
Mr.City said:
It's so much fun being a dick in this game.

Agreed.. I think it's because your main character speaks the negative dialogue options. I don't remember this being the case in KoTOR??

I think that's why I went Renegade in Mass Effect, while in KoTOR I was good.

IoCaster

DY_nasty said:
I loved my cold, nasty, cut-throat bi-sexual bitch Sheppard. Nothing topped seeing her
laugh in the face of the Asari consort, bump uglies with her
then leave, completely unimpressed. :D

I did something I usually never do. On my third playthrough, I made a custom female character to play. I almost always stick with male characters because I never really saw the attraction to gender switching in my gameplay. Here's the thing though, on my third playthrough I decided to experiment a bit. I created a renegade style female Shepard and it's been a hell of a ride playing this bitch. I did the Consort, but didn't bother romancing Liara with this character. I've killed just about anyone that has given me the slightest provocation and/or to further the advance of my cutthroat career path. I've bullied and intimidated everyone. I made the C-Sec guy release my old gang crony from lockup, double-crossed and back-stabbed everyone and told the Council to kiss my ass multiple times. It's been a blast to play this chick. I simply cannot believe the amount of hours that I've put into this game. It's just so addictive to experiment with different characters and abilities. So far, I can honestly claim that every playthrough has been a significantly different experience. Just an excellently crafted narrative. A totally awesome game.

PjotrStroganov said:
Finished it last night. Despite its many flawes. Awesome awesome game.:D

One thing however, I really couldn't get myself to playing the sub quests once
sovereign revealed the real plot. Suddenly the other missions just didn't seem to matter anymore once I knew the entire galaxy was at risk.
Did a few extra missions but then went on to the roller-coaster ride at the end.

The problem with Virmire is that it is a point of no return, you are pulled back to the citadel and once you leave you can't come back. I wish they told me that the first time.

Kweh

Who's the best member to accompany Tali in my squad? I really want to keep her in my team, really like her character - so is it best to get some Biotic skills? Liara or Wrex? I am just playing as Shepard the default soldier class.

Top Bottom