• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

arhra said:
My point was that if you have sidequests to do that eventually require handing in at the Citadel (Asari Diplomacy, Missing Marines, and Privateers being the ones that come to mind most readily, can't remember if there are any others), but which you haven't yet completed to that stage, there is no warning before landing on the fourth planet that you're about to be cut off from the ability to finish them (if you haven't got to the point where all you need to do is go back to the Citadel and talk to someone, you're screwed).

I agree. I think that's what I said.

So, word is someone made a hot blonde chick in the character creation, and posted the specs. Could someone point me in the right direction?

That is all.

arhra

BenjaminBirdie said:
I agree. I think that's what I said.
You said there IS a warning before being cut off from Citadel sidequests. I'm saying there ISN'T, for a certain subset of them.

You can go to the fourth planet without having completed the uncharted world portion of, say, Asari Diplomacy, and have no idea you're about to be screwed out of ever completing it.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
The game finally hit it's stride with me and I'm really enjoying it.

The only things that really suck about it is how it hitches at times and also the inventory. Oh the inventory management is horrendous. Trying to go through a long list of items and turn them into omni gel is a job.

Finished the game today, took just over 37 hours according to my save game. For me, its GOTY 2007, and quite possibly my new favourite game in the universe of all time. I got so wrapped up in it all.

It has its problems, texture pop-in, unstable framerates and one game ending bug (camera got stuck) but I can easily overlook those issues. I didn't find the texture pop-in annoying, but there are a few cutscenes where I thought "this would be freaking amazing if it was 30fps locked and Saren had facial features".

Inventory system is horrible, worst part of the game for me. I really hope there is a patch for it soon. I use to look forward to ending a mission so I could find a merchant to sell my excess stuff too. Having to scroll allllll the way back down the list to turn another inferno round into omni-gel probably added 5 hours of gameplay time! Not to mention that you can't sort items by type when you go to a merchants, instead you get one massive list, and if you want new armour for Wrex you often have to end the conversation, and start it all over again. Please, for the love of criminy, sort it out!

Anyway, I finished the game and started again as a female Infiltrator. I intend to do a renegade completion, but having checked my achievements list I'm tempted to just pick up with my Lvl 50 soldier and go for lvl 60 and renegade all-in-one.

Not sure what to do, start again or pick up with old Shepard...what did you lot do?

angelfly

Mashing said:
Oh man, I don't know if I'd have to stomach to play that character as a renegade. She looks llike an angel.

I started a new character to go through the game with her. Well worth it since I was getting used to only playing through as my high level Shepard.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I know this sounds crazy, but does anyone have a link to a YouTube video (or any other place) that has the conversation between Shepard and
Soverign on Virmire
?

Phthisis

sionyboy said:
Not sure what to do, start again or pick up with old Shepard...what did you lot do?

Created a new Shepard of the other gender, picked completely different psychological profiles, and proceeded to pretty much do everything exactly the opposite of the first play through. Being an asshole is incredibly hilarious and fun, but at some points it's also gut-wrenchingly depressing.

Phthisis

Watching that reminds me that I finished reading the novel the other day. It sets up the game nicely, and if you've found yourself newly-indoctrinated by Mass Effect's siren call, it is required reading. Gives a nice bit of backstory on Anderson, Saren, and how Saren came to find
Sovereign

dralla

what's the big sphere on the green planet do? it's on the planet with the monkeys, it says I need some Prothean key to put in it

dankir

dralla said:
what's the big sphere on the green planet do? it's on the planet with the monkeys, it says I need some Prothean key to put in it

Do both of Shiara the consorts quests on the citadel and she's supposed to give you the key.

edit: whoops

dralla said:
You get this key from Shiara (Asari Consort) when you finish her Sidemission. It basically is just only containing prothean text, how they spied and gathered information on humanity when we were only Neanderthals...

Kweh

Hmm need a bit of help.

I'm doing the UNC: Cerberus mission and have landed on Binthu and gone to all Research Facilities on the map i can see (3 in total), but my Journal still hasn't updated. Tali mentioned something about Admiral Kahoku and another facility still to clearout, but I can't find it...

angelfly

Kweh said:
Hmm need a bit of help.

I'm doing the UNC: Cerberus mission and have landed on Binthu and gone to all Research Facilities on the map i can see (3 in total), but my Journal still hasn't updated. Tali mentioned something about Admiral Kahoku and another facility still to clearout, but I can't find it...

His body is in one of them. You have to find it for the mission to end

I finished a second playthrough, as a Paragon this time. I did every mission I could find--and I was well over 50 total completed missions and got Wrex as fast as I could--with Ash and Wrex [what can I say, unbalanced team but I like both of them] that wasn't incredibly stupid [like scanning/collecathon missions] and got zero Ally Achievements. I still have great things to say about the game, but let's say I'm not very happy with it right now.

Captain Glanton said:
I finished a second playthrough, as a Paragon this time. I did every mission I could find--and I was well over 50 total completed missions and got Wrex as fast as I could--with Ash and Wrex [what can I say, unbalanced team but I like both of them] that wasn't incredibly stupid [like scanning/collecathon missions] and got zero Ally Achievements. I still have great things to say about the game, but let's say I'm not very happy with it right now.
You have to do about 55 to 60 to get it according to some people. However I hear different theories, the only thing I know: these are crappy achievements without a clear path/mission to complete...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Not sure if this was posted or not, but for those on their 2nd or 3rd playthrough, if you want the guy on normandy to have the best weapons armor, just buy only the licences of the makers of the best armor/weapons.

demifiend

Hellraizer said:
You get this key from Shiara (Asari Consort) when you finish her Sidemission. It basically is just only containing prothean text, how they spied and gathered information on humanity when we were only Neanderthals...

Kinda makes me wonder if the Protheans (if we ever end up seeing them) are greys (I know about the statues on Ilos, just saying...)

Banned
So, I finished Mass Effect back at the beginning of December, and I'm thinking of going back to it, but I'm not sure what to do next.

As soon as I
got control of the Normandy, I went and rescued Liara.
After that, I had her in my squad for the rest of the game, yet I didn't get the Asari Ally achievement. Strangely though, I did get the Krogan Ally one, even though I swapped Wrex out a couple of times for some character specific quests. (though I always had Liara) I've maybe not done all the side quests, but I did most of the uncharted worlds and cleared out the list of sidequests that I did come across. I spent ~40 hours on that playthrough, so I was pretty thorough. (I didn't get the scholar achievement either, so maybe I wasn't as thorough as I thought?)

I have a save before heading to the last planet - should I load that up and start exploring the rest of the galaxy that I had missed? (normally I would have done everything in a game like this, but the combat/uncharted world designs were just too repetitive, so I just wanted to get it done in the end)Will that allow me to hit Lv 60 and get the Asari achievement, or have I missed my chance if the only main thing I have left to do is go to the last planet?

Should I start over with a New Game + (is there anything else to do? do you get better equipment etc?) or should I just start with a completely new character? (is it possible to do the hardcore difficulty with one?) Frankly, I think the infiltrator class was a bad choice for my first time playing, at least with the way I levelled up (putting lots of points into things like charm and decryption) and I'd like to try something different.

arhra

andrewfee said:
So, I finished Mass Effect back at the beginning of December, and I'm thinking of going back to it, but I'm not sure what to do next.

As soon as I
After that, I had her in my squad for the rest of the game, yet I didn't get the Asari Ally achievement. Strangely though, I did get the Krogan Ally one, even though I swapped Wrex out a couple of times for some character specific quests. (though I always had Liara) I've maybe not done all the side quests, but I did most of the uncharted worlds and cleared out the list of sidequests that I did come across. I spent ~40 hours on that playthrough, so I was pretty thorough. (I didn't get the scholar achievement either, so maybe I wasn't as thorough as I thought?)

I have a save before heading to the last planet - should I load that up and start exploring the rest of the galaxy that I had missed? (normally I would have done everything in a game like this, but the combat/uncharted world designs were just too repetitive, so I just wanted to get it done in the end)Will that allow me to hit Lv 60 and get the Asari achievement, or have I missed my chance if the only main thing I have left to do is go to the last planet?

Should I start over with a New Game + (is there anything else to do? do you get better equipment etc?) or should I just start with a completely new character? (is it possible to do the hardcore difficulty with one?) Frankly, I think the infiltrator class was a bad choice for my first time playing, at least with the way I levelled up (putting lots of points into things like charm and decryption) and I'd like to try something different.
Whether Asari Ally will be doable probably depends on how many Citadel sidequests you did before leaving - you have to basically skip them all until you have Liara in order to get the achievement. The scholar achievement is a complete red herring - it's both trivial to get (you can get it before leaving the Citadel for the first time), and trivially easy to miss (one entry in particular you can only get in a one-time conversation on the Normandy before you land at Eden Prime).

Level 60 is impossible in one run, you have to use New Game+ to get it - in a single run you cap out at around 54-55 or so at most, even with all the achievement-based xp boosts (including the one for hitting 60...), and killing everything outside of the Mako. There's nothing fundamentally new with New Game+ (well, you get a new tier of spectre weapons when you hit level 50, and higher level armour, etc), barring a few early charm/intimidate options that you might have missed the first time if you didn't spend a bunch of points on them immediately in your first game.

Hardcore is entirely doable with a fresh character, as long as you're reasonably competent at combat.

If i were you, i'd probably start a new character with a different class (on hardcore if you want, or just stick to normal if you want to take it easy while you get used to their abilities), aim for a particular set of ally achievements (ie, remember to do things like rush through the citadel story missions asap without getting sidetracked by sidequests, then pick up the characters you want and stick with them), and go for a different morality than your first game (my own first game was mixed morality, so i went pure paragon for my second game, then heavy renegade for a third). Vanguard is probably a good choice if you went Infiltrator the first time - biotics + shotgun makes for a very different combat style from tech + snipers.

Ventrue

andrewfee said:
As soon as I
After that, I had her in my squad for the rest of the game, yet I didn't get the Asari Ally achievement. Strangely though, I did get the Krogan Ally one, even though I swapped Wrex out a couple of times for some character specific quests. (though I always had Liara)

Liara's planet counts for a fair bit on the completion percentage.

(I didn't get the scholar achievement either, so maybe I wasn't as thorough as I thought?)

The one most people miss is the Prothean one. You have to ask Anderson about them while still on the Normandy for the first time.

You can't hit level 60 unless you do a New Game +. You probably won't get Asari ally either as you can only miss something like 2 quests.

Should I start over with a New Game + (is there anything else to do? do you get better equipment etc?)

You do get better equipment, but frankly the game isn't as fun at higher levels because you become very overpowered.

(is it possible to do the hardcore difficulty with one?)

Yes

Frankly, I think the infiltrator class was a bad choice for my first time playing, at least with the way I levelled up (putting lots of points into things like charm and decryption) and I'd like to try something different.

Yeah, Infiltrator is the most boring class IMO, because the sniper rifle isn't that great (most of the combat is short range/indoors or in the vehicle). Sure, it can one-hit kill, but it is very clunky to aim.

Try playing an Adept or Vanguard.

EDIT: Thought-thief.

Banned
arhra said:
Whether Asari Ally will be doable probably depends on how many Citadel sidequests you did before leaving - you have to basically skip them all until you have Liara in order to get the achievement. The scholar achievement is a complete red herring - it's both trivial to get (you can get it before leaving the Citadel for the first time), and trivially easy to miss (one entry in particular you can only get in a one-time conversation on the Normandy before you land at Eden Prime).
That'll be it, I skipped a lot of them but did do a couple of sidequests before leaving, so it was probably enough to stop me getting the Asari Ally achievement.

I'm sure that the codex entry I missed will be the one you get on the Normandy at the start as well, damn.

Ventrue said:
Yeah, Infiltrator is the most boring class IMO, because the sniper rifle isn't that great (most of the combat is short range/indoors or in the vehicle). Sure, it can one-hit kill, but it is very clunky to aim.
Yeah, I was very tempted to start over when I was 5-10 hours in, as things didn't seem to be improving (and I had been putting all my points into the sniper rifles as I wasn't finding any decent pistols at the time) but with people saying it was a short game, I thought I might as well stick it out.

I assumed there must have been some purpose to the class - why else would they have it? But there really wasn't. At best, you'd get to pick off enemies on the optional planets from a distance, but the Mako can do that anyway, and as soon as you shoot one, everyone knows where you are and starts shooting at you anyway, no matter how far away you are.

Looks like I'll be starting a new game rather than continuing or doing a New Game + then, thanks.

arhra

I actually really like Infiltrators. Once you level up and get access to good weapons, they're insanely powerful (although having previously unlocked the Rich achievement, and therefore getting access to the spectre rifle quite early on no doubt helped that perception for me :lol).

I think my two favourite classes are Vanguard with Singularity as a bonus talent, and Infiltrator with AI Hacking - you get most of the benefits of their base pure class, plus nice survivability and pure combat boosts from being a hybrid.

Elhandro

do licences just help you buy equipment when you are on the normandy? I usually buy all of them I come across but I really havent noticed a difference.

Ventrue

Elhandro said:
do licences just help you buy equipment when you are on the normandy? I usually buy all of them I come across but I really havent noticed a difference.

They add a chance of certain goods appearing when the Normandy randomly restocks it's loot.

dralla

Where do I buy armor for the Quarrian? I'm still using the default and it sucks

mmm just got some armor in Noveria. not that great though

mug

dralla said:

In the markets at the Citadel. "Non-human armor"

Coverly

dralla said:

I had the same question too. It's impossible to find anything decent in the shops. I went through my first playthrough with Tali having armor with only 160 something shields. On my 2nd pass of the game somewhere in Noveria I picked up some really cool looking black Quarrian armor with mid 300 something shields. I'm not near the 360 or else I would give you the name and exact stats of the armor. I don't know where I got it in Noveria, I wasn't looking at the loot until I finished the chapter.

Has anybody found any Quarian armor higher than 350 in shields?
Also, is there any light human armor higher than 414 in shields(liara is wearing this right now but it's an ugly green)?

Edit: It's Colossus IX Quarian Armor. 345 shields, 64 damage.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
arhra said:
I actually really like Infiltrators. Once you level up and get access to good weapons, they're insanely powerful (although having previously unlocked the Rich achievement, and therefore getting access to the spectre rifle quite early on no doubt helped that perception for me :lol).

I think my two favourite classes are Vanguard with Singularity as a bonus talent, and Infiltrator with AI Hacking - you get most of the benefits of their base pure class, plus nice survivability and pure combat boosts from being a hybrid.

Woah, what?? You can use Singularity with a Vanguard?? How's this?

Uncle

Domino Theory said:
Woah, what?? You can use Singularity with a Vanguard?? How's this?

Get singularity achivement -> make new vanguard -> unlock singularity for said vangurad -> ??? -> profit.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Uncle said:
Get singularity achivement -> make new vanguard -> unlock singularity for said vangurad -> ??? -> profit.

Oh.. crap. :( I'm on a third playthrough on Insane right now with my Lvl 58 Vanguard and I thought I could unlock Singularity for my character in the middle of my playthrough.

Uncle

Domino Theory said:
Oh.. crap. :( I'm on a third playthrough on Insane right now with my Lvl 58 Vanguard and I thought I could unlock Singularity for my character in the middle of my playthrough.

All of the skills that achievements unlock are only available to new characters, AFAIK. XP boost is immediate, not sure about rest of the stat boosting achievements.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Uncle said:
All of the skills that achievements unlock are only available to new characters, AFAIK. XP boost is immediate, not sure about rest of the stat boosting achievements.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Well, now that I have you here I just have another question:

Is it okay if I skip some of the Citadel side-quests that show up when you FIRST arrive there ? The next playthrough I do after this Insane run, I want to get
Liara from the cluster
as soon as I
get the Normandy from Anderson
, then I want to go back to the Citadel and do the side-quests like Consort, Xeltan, Samesh's wife, etc..

SuperBonk

What's the best ammo combinations to have?

Right now I have the sniper rifle with high explosive rounds and frictionless materials. It is a damage powerhouse but it overheats on every shot.

Wrex's shotgun has kinetic stabilizer and sledgehammer rounds, which I think works pretty well.

Ashley's assault rifle has kinetic stabilizer and inferno rounds, which I'm not too sure about.

arhra

Domino Theory said:
Is it okay if I skip some of the Citadel side-quests that show up when you FIRST arrive there ? The next playthrough I do after this Insane run, I want to get
Liara from the cluster
as soon as I
get the Normandy from Anderson
, then I want to go back to the Citadel and do the side-quests like Consort, Xeltan, Samesh's wife, etc..
Yeah, they all hang around until you pick them up. You just have to ignore them whining incessantly at you every time you run past.

Uncle

SuperBonk said:
Right now I have the sniper rifle with high explosive rounds and frictionless materials. It is a damage powerhouse but it overheats on every shot.

I'd change the frictionless materials to something that enhance damage and add even more heat (high caliber barrels and scram rails or whatever they were called), because it will overheat no matter what. I think I had two scram rails that add 20% damage and some heat + high explosive rounds in my HMMV X sniper rifle. It's a one hit wonder.

dralla

ok so is it worth it to upgrade Wrex's armor if
he's going to get killed any way? or can you prevent it if I have higher levels of Charm/Intimidate?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I just
fucked the shit out of Ashley
before landing on
Ilos
Ilos
really reminds me of Gears!

Top Bottom