• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Finished this about a week ago. I started another game, but after a few hours in... I thought to myself, "Why!?".

I think I'm good for now... game was amazing in spots, but for the most part it was tedious and boring.

Kind of like Assassin's Creed. Although... at least I enjoyed the combat in AC.

I'll most likely buy the sequel, but I wont be losing any sleep waiting for it.

Being half-way through a game will the DLC just appear the next time I access the galaxy map. Looking forward to it but not if I have to run the opening areas for it.

recklessmind said:
Finished this about a week ago. I started another game, but after a few hours in... I thought to myself, "Why!?".

I think I'm good for now... game was amazing in spots, but for the most part it was tedious and boring.

Kind of like Assassin's Creed. Although... at least I enjoyed the combat in AC.

I'll most likely buy the sequel, but I wont be losing any sleep waiting for it.

I LOVED the story...that's what will have me coming back. Gameplay was a small step back from the story, but not much.

It has it's faults, but IMO the positives FAR outweigh the negatives.

gregor7777 said:
I LOVED the story...that's what will have me coming back. Gameplay was a small step back from the story, but not much.

It has it's faults, but IMO the positives FAR outweigh the negatives.

You don't get that sick feeling in your stomach that by the end of the series you're going to be fighting and owning Reapers? You know those things that the entire Alliance fleet couldn't really take down a single one of?

Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

Have they even made a comment as to what we'll be fighting mostly in ME2? I've always assumed it will be Geth, since they're still around and Reapers obviously SHOULD be out of your league (and until some horribly contrived plot device surfaces, a long way from flying back manually if this is even an option).

My Arms Your Hearse said:
You don't get that sick feeling in your stomach that by the end of the series you're going to be fighting and owning Reapers? You know those things that the entire Alliance fleet couldn't really take down a single one of?

Have they even made a comment as to what we'll be fighting mostly in ME2? I've always assumed it will be Geth, since they're still around and Reapers obviously SHOULD be out of your league (and until some horribly contrived plot device surfaces, a long way from flying back manually if this is even an option).

Well, I hope they don't go that way. What can I say, they pulled off an amazing story in ME that warrants my trust in the sequel. I'm theirs to disappoint. :)
hopefully not

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I liked the story, actually. I thought the cutscenes were all fantastic... and christ... finally a game with a real ending.

<------ is getting sick of all these devs and their anticlimactic cliffhanger endings.

There are many areas where the game shines. That is why I finished it. I very rarely finish games. But there's no way I could justify playing through it again. I will, however, play the next one.

I'm with you completely, my friend. I'm actually terrified over whether or not more Reapers are going to show up. They simply cannot be stopped by conventional means, so battling even several of them would be a HUGE undertaking (not to mention their numbers "black out the sky"). God, I cannot wait for ME2. Here's hoping we see a teaser at E3 this year.

Deepblue

Banned
So, is there any way to make explosive rounds useful? Even with a Spectre X level weapon and frictionless materials, I either overheat completely (shotgun, sniper rifle) or have 5 shots before I need to cool down.

EDIT: Also, where do you get the Colossus X armor? The best I've found is the Assassin X.

Uncle

Deepblue said:
So, is there any way to make explosive rounds useful? Even with a Spectre X level weapon and frictionless materials, I either overheat completely (shotgun, sniper rifle) or have 5 shots before I need to cool down.

EDIT: Also, where do you get the Colossus X armor? The best I've found is the Assassin X.

Use them with the HMMV X sinper rifle accompanied by the rails or whatever that give a damage boost and incerease heat (the heat increase won't matter since you'll overheat in one shot anyway) and you have yourself a true one hit wonder. I like to think of it as a sinper bazooka.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Deepblue said:

I found mine through the shop-keeper on the Normandy. You need to have the license, have an above 40ish level, and get lucky.

Deepblue

Banned
Metroidvania said:
I found mine through the shop-keeper on the Normandy. You need to have the license, have an above 40ish level, and get lucky.
Which license? I'm level 57 and have yet to see it. On the other hand, nearly every member of my party has Spectre X gear.

Metroidvania

Deepblue said:
Which license? I'm level 57 and have yet to see it. On the other hand, nearly every member of my party has Spectre X gear.

Kassa Fabrications, according the the official Mass Effect forums.

It should drop occasionally at your level as well.

Deepblue

Banned
Metroidvania said:
Kassa Fabrications, according the the official Mass Effect forums.

It should drop occasionally at your level as well.
Alright, I'll start a new playthrough and purchase the license.

Now, what's the best use for Frostbite X rounds? (I have a crap ton of those and High Explosive X rounds).

Hey, quick question for you guys.

I just finished my first playthrough today. I was at level 42 by the end as a Paragon Infiltrator.

1) What is the New Game + option in Mass Effect? I have heard that this exists, but I don't know how to do it. I skipped over the end credits. Do I have to beat the final boss again and watch the credits to the end? There is no extra option on the start screen.

2) Despite having a Charm level of 10, I couldn't use charm to prevent the final battle. How does this work?

Grecco

Green Shinobi said:
is no extra option on the start screen.

2) Despite having a Charm level of 10, I couldn't use charm to prevent the final battle. How does this work?

You cant really prevent the finalbatle. With Saren you mean?

1.Did you talk to Saren in Virimire? 2.Whats your paragon number.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Deepblue said:
Alright, I'll start a new playthrough and purchase the license.

Now, what's the best use for Frostbite X rounds? (I have a crap ton of those and High Explosive X rounds).

I use FB on my shotgun. That + 2 Scram Rails (or Rail Extensions) balanced so you can pretty much fire non stop, even at the reduced rate of fire. Plus I just like the freeze over effect when you kill an enemy with cold based rounds. :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Does anyone know if the 'Bring Down the Sky' mission counts as a side mission needed to get the Asari Ally achievement? I need to do one more side-quest and I get the achievement, but I can't find one to save my life.

I keep trying to talk to Wrex to get
his family's battle armor
, but everytime I talk to him, he'll never bring it up. :(

Deepblue

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Does anyone know if the 'Bring Down the Sky' mission counts as a side mission needed to get the Asari Ally achievement? I need to do one more side-quest and I get the achievement, but I can't find one to save my life.

I keep trying to talk to Wrex to get
his family's battle armor
, but everytime I talk to him, he'll never bring it up. :(
You just have to talk to him after every story planet and eventually you'll get there. Same with Garrus if you want to meet Docter Saleon.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Deepblue said:
You just have to talk to him after every story planet and eventually you'll get there. Same with Garrus if you want to meet Docter Saleon.

Well I never talked to either Wrex or Garrus during my 4th playthrough, but I JUST finished Virmire, and talked to Garrus and managed to get the Dr. Saleon side-quest when I talked to him.

But now when I talk to Wrex, he won't bring it up. The only option that constantly shows up is "Extinction, Genophage".

Deepblue

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Well I never talked to either Wrex or Garrus during my 4th playthrough, but I JUST finished Virmire, and talked to Garrus and managed to get the Dr. Saleon side-quest when I talked to him.

But now when I talk to Wrex, he won't bring it up. The only option that constantly shows up is "Extinction, Genophage".
I dunno. Did you piss him off somehow? After every mission there's a new thing on the top-left option.

Metroidvania

Domino Theory said:

You can just find it somewhere without talking to him, you know. I think it still counts if you're trying to
save him from dying

Deepblue

Banned
Metroidvania said:
You can just find it somewhere without talking to him, you know. I think it still counts if you're trying to
save him from dying
He already finished Virmire.

On a related note... I don't think I have the guts to
kill
Wrex. Even before I knew what would happen I always got the good resolution to that conflict.

Metroidvania

Deepblue said:
He already finished Virmire.

On a related note... I don't think I have the guts to
kill
Wrex. Even before I knew what would happen I always got the good resolution to that conflict.

So to make sure I'm reading this right, you want the official quest right for the Asari ally....hmm...does getting the armor on a certain planet which I can't remember, and then giving it to Wrex count as the quest still? I don't have any saves near that point on hand....

Walshicus

Domino Theory said:
Does anyone know if the 'Bring Down the Sky' mission counts as a side mission needed to get the Asari Ally achievement?
It counts. In fact I think it counts as a story mission, in that it's worth quite a bit towards your completion rating. I got Asari and Quarian Ally achievements with Eden, Citadel, Therum, Feros, Noveria a few sidequests and the Asteroid completed.

Wizpig

Apparently there's no cutscene before the DLC mission, you know, those where someone calls Shepard and they ask him to do something.
That said, is the DLC mission on that Asteroid?
I don't want to play 2 hours just to discover what i was playing wasn't the new DLC mission:lol

Another note about the DLC. If you had a playthrough and felt you were robbed an ally achievement, if you have a near "point-of-no-return" save dial that up and play the DLC. One game that didn't give me the Sentinel ally when it probably should have at the end of the game DID give it after playing the DLC on the old save.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I finally got around to beating the story which ran for about 10 hours. Is it really worth going back for the side quests? I'm not a gamescore-whore personally.

Wizpig said:
Apparently there's no cutscene before the DLC mission, you know, those where someone calls Shepard and they ask him to do something.
That said, is the DLC mission on that Asteroid?
I don't want to play 2 hours just to discover what i was playing wasn't the new DLC mission:lol
yep, and there is a cutscene ;)

Wizpig

MrTroubleMaker said:
yep, and there is a cutscene ;)
Meh, there was a cutscene about another side-quest i think.
Or maybe it was for THIS subquest, but i dunno.

They didn't mention the Batarians or anything.

Chinner

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Thanks for the help, guys. This bitch achievement is mine.

Does anyone know where the DLC mission is located? :p

It'll be located on the galaxy map like the main story planets. Its called Asteroid X-- (the dashes indicating the numbers I can't remember).

Wizpig

I asked some friends and they too say there was no "introduction" cutscene to the DLC Subquest.
I mean, when you go on the Asteroid a woman talks to you and then the objective of the 3 things to de-activate pop-ups, but before that ... nothing. [when i say "introduction to the subquest" i mean those radio conversation Shepard x Someone, and that's missing from the DLC, right?]

mrmyth

The game in general is "too easy" at all times, especially if you're a biotic.

The harder difficulties aren't hard at all, either, they're just tedious. It's like Oblivion. The enemy can't kill you and it takes ten minutes to kill them. You want to blow your brains out.

This is something else that needs to be... fixed. The Geth are, BY FAR, the weakest opponents in the game. They die in less than a second even on Insanity. All the organic enemies, and especially the Krogan, are insanely durable thanks to Immunity spamming. Which is beyond ridiculous on Insanity and makes it... not difficult, but unbearable to play because shooting a Krogan for five minutes to kill it is not fun.

Are you using Polonium rounds? I'm on my 5th playthrough on Insanity and no Krogan lives long against anything that poisons.

Singularity + Warp + grenade + Polonium = Krogan dead in five seconds.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Wow, what the fuck? I'm not allowed to do side-missions anymore once I complete Virmire? Everytime I go to the Galaxy Map, it just triggers that whole custscene where Shepherd tells Joker to take the Normandy back to the Citadel to meet the ambassador and the council.

No!!!

Sai

Domino Theory said:
Wow, what the fuck? I'm not allowed to do side-missions anymore once I complete Virmire? Everytime I go to the Galaxy Map, it just triggers that whole custscene where Shepherd tells Joker to take the Normandy back to the Citadel to meet the ambassador and the council.

No!!!
You can. Just make sure you take care of all the side-missions/assignments you can while you're on the Citadel, because you won't be able to go back. That also means that you won't be able to complete assignments on the Citadel that require you to leave and return to it, like the Asari Diplomat's request, or Admiral Kohaku's.

All the other assignments, you'll be able to take care of once you leave the Citadel. Just don't go to Ilos.

I just rented this game. Started playing it tonight and I'm already hooked. The crazy thing is, I usually hate these types of games. The graphics are amazing. I had no idea how great this game looked. The film grain effect works really well in this game.

Has anyone else noticed any weird colour effects, Basically after landing on Virmire i noticed that underneath the mako's nose and the tire rims, the graphics had this kind of oily look to them which is multi coloured. Didn't think too much of it but then I noticed that when I fired the cannon on the mako it was very blocky.

Also, after leaving the Mako I noticed that if I shoot any of the scenery the impact makes a kinda sqaure/blocky multi coloured shape, sort of ignored it until I got to saren and at times he just looked like a multi coloured square, it looks like it was happening when his shield was being hit.

Any ideas, or anyone else seen this?

SmokinGunZ1981 said:
Has anyone else noticed any weird colour effects, Basically after landing on Virmire i noticed that underneath the mako's nose and the tire rims, the graphics had this kind of oily look to them which is multi coloured. Didn't think too much of it but then I noticed that when I fired the cannon on the mako it was very blocky.

Also, after leaving the Mako I noticed that if I shoot any of the scenery the impact makes a kinda sqaure/blocky multi coloured shape, sort of ignored it until I got to saren and at times he just looked like a multi coloured square, it looks like it was happening when his shield was being hit.

Any ideas, or anyone else seen this?

yeah I noticed exactly this just a few days ago. You can exit the game and start again to fix it. My theory is that they have a memory leak so they run out of memory for the texture load, or alternatively the texture fails to load in time.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, I got the game, only played 2 hours so far. I wasn't too excited at first, but I am kinda getting the hang of it. Not a bad game at all, I am kinda enjoying it. Damn the framerate though!

Relix said:
So, I got the game, only played 2 hours so far. I wasn't too excited at first, but I am kinda getting the hang of it. Not a bad game at all, I am kinda enjoying it. Damn the framerate though!

Make sure, whatever you end up doing, that you at the least complete the main story line. The last 2-4 hours of the game are up there with the best ever IMO.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yeah, so far I decided to look for that woman, already found her... now I am in this elevator and these bunch of assholes kick my ass. =(

Deepblue

Banned
Relix said:
Yeah, so far I decided to look for that woman, already found her... now I am in this elevator and these bunch of assholes kick my ass. =(
Oh yeah, that fight was really fricken hard the first time. Protip: concentrate all of your firepower on the Krogan.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Deepblue said:
Oh yeah, that fight was really fricken hard the first time. Protip: concentrate all of your firepower on the Krogan.

Yah, I got killed three times so I quit for now =P. Probably going back to the game later, but they just kill my party and me too freaking fast. Thinking of making Wrex (I love you big guy!) push one guy, my other teammate sabotage someone and I shotgun the Krogan up his ass.

Deepblue

Banned
Relix said:
Yah, I got killed three times so I quit for now =P. Probably going back to the game later, but they just kill my party and me too freaking fast. Thinking of making Wrex (I love you big guy!) push one guy, my other teammate sabotage someone and I shotgun the Krogan up his ass.
This is one fight where (the first time at least) you need to play the game like a turn-based RPG. As soon as the action starts, use sabotage/damp/etc. on the Krogan. It's especially helpful if you have advanced the shotgun skill for you or your party members so you can use the charged shot.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
So I got a question. I'm on Feros and I'm at the bit where you have to fight the
Thorian. Problem is I used all my med-pacs not killing the infected humans.
I can't seem to find any. Is there a pick up in that area? Any way to create med-pacs. I can't go back to my ship to restock and my last save is a while ago.

Any advice?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
jetjevons said:
So I got a question. I'm on Feros and I'm at the bit where you have to fight the
Thorian. Problem is I used all my med-pacs not killing the infected humans.
I can't seem to find any. Is there a pick up in that area? Any way to create med-pacs. I can't go back to my ship to restock and my last save is a while ago.

Any advice?

You can leave and run back to your ship and refill your entire medpack inventory in the room where the Doctor is. Try to remember to do that every time you need too in between missions.

Relix said:

Sabotage and Damp him to drop his health right away. If he does get a chance to boost his shield use Warp on him to drop it back down. If you can push, lift or use singularity you'll drop his defenses HUGE. Other than that use whatever powered up weapon you have. Toxic bullets work nice too. I also kinda thought that cold helped me with the Krogan but I'm not positive.

Top Bottom