• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

AniHawk

Woakes said:
Bioshocks story is pretty routine in my opinion.

It's the setting that makes the game.

Pretty much. Everything else but the setting is either average or subpar. That's why it'll work better as a movie than a game, with the right crew.

Anihawk said:
Pretty much. Everything else but the setting is either average or subpar. That's why it'll work better as a movie than a game, with the right crew.
Boy do I disagree. The story in Bioshock (the genetic war) isn't exactly original but the narrative is strong and the use of the audio diaries conceptually continues what Irrational started in System Shock 2. It presents the story in a fashion that asks the gamer to participate instead of watching cutscene after cutscene. A cutscene only being used in the most important scene of the game and symbolically showing the
lack of control the main character has over his actions
. Despite the final section and boss battle stumbling - it's a superbly written (one of the best in the industry) and remarkably well told IMHO.

AniHawk

Futurevoid said:
Boy do I disagree. The story in Bioshock (the genetic war) isn't exactly original but the narrative is strong and the use of the audio diaries conceptually continues what Irrational started in System Shock 2. It presents the story in a fashion that asks the gamer to participate instead of watching cutscene after cutscene. A cutscene only being used in the most important scene of the game and symbolically showing the
lack of control the main character has over his actions
. Despite the final section and boss battle stumbling - it's a superbly written (one of the best in the industry) and remarkably well told IMHO.

Half-Life 2 did it first and better, with exception for the audio books, which were what the scanning in Metroid Prime should've been (I liked the audio books).

Bioshock is what happens when you focus too much on presentation and not enough on actual game design. I thought the art was fantastic, and the setting was, for this genre, really damn original. Good music and sound and all that. I just got tired of respawning enemies, zero challenge, and repetitious level design. To be fair to the story, it would've had to've been really compelling to push me past all that.

Half-Life 2 did it first and better, with exception for the audio books, which were what the scanning in Metroid Prime should've been (I liked the audio books).
Alrighty then. Half Life 2 did what first and better? Present an interactive cutscene? That's fantastic but how does it speak to the quality of Bioshocks narrative? Half Life 2 may have done it first but better is entirely debateable. Yes - opinion. It is indeed a bitch.

Bioshock and Half Life 2 outside of both being shooters have such different design goals I'm not even sure how the comparison is remotely apt in this conversation.(and the insertion of Metroid is out of left field as well while we're at it). I love Half Life 2 - it's a remarkable game. I also happen to love Bioshock - it's also a remarkable game for very different reasons.

Bioshock is what happens when you focus too much on presentation and not enough on actual game design.
I'll just have to agree to disagree on that remark as we could end up in a circular argument that won't change anyones mind. In the end I'll just say that Bioshock is what happens when quality game design is married with a superb setting and quality storytelling to boot.

I'm perfectly ok with saying that Bioshock has its issues. Most of which occurs in the latter third of the game. I'm also ok with saying Half Life 2 has its issue as well (brace yourselves fanboys). Most any level involving a vehicle for me personally. Also you remove the follow-up episodes during its initial release and its ending left a great deal to be desired.

Regardless, no way would I consider either game to be "average" or lacking in game design. They are both two fantastic examples of quality gaming an extremely saturated genre IMHO.

I'll leave the conversation at that since the thread is about Mass Effect and I don't wish to derail it any further.

Ventrue

gregor7777 said:
To each his own, but I can't imagine someone saying a game has a better and more well presented story than Mass Effect.

I'm a big Bioware fan, but I'm seeing red here.

Planescape.

Phthisis

KurowaSan said:
don't know if it has been posted but here is the cover for the 2nd novel, set between Mass Effect 1 and ME 2. It will be released on July 29.

http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-Ascension-Drew-Karpyshyn/dp/0345498526/ref=pd_bbs_sr_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211734433&sr=8-9

Probably not the best piece of literature out there, but I did enjoy the first book so I'm looking forward to reading the second one.

I missed this! Fuck yeah!. The first book was pretty good if you're into the universe. This one should be better since it's heading into brand new territory.

Proc

Buying this tomorrow. UT3 runs amazing on my 8800gts, my heart is a flutter on how well Mass Effect PC will run :)

AniHawk said:
Edit: What? I wasn't talking about HL2 vs. Bioshock.

Mass Effect! I loooove Mass Effect.

DIE KAIDAN DIE

Haha, yeah, I chose for him to
stay behind and die on the final planet
on my first playthrough.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Those are poor benchmarking results for a UE3 game. Still, a steady 30fps for 8800GT and above at near-1080p resolution, max detail, and 16xAF isn't the end of the world for a game like this.

I wonder how it'll run on a 280GTX, though those 9800GX2 numbers are not exactly promising. My copy of the game will arrive today but I'd consider holding off playing until the new cards come out if I could somehow get 1080p/60fps. Meh.

EviLore said:
Those are poor benchmarking results for a UE3 game. Still, a steady 30fps for 8800GT and above at near-1080p resolution, max detail, and 16xAF isn't the end of the world for a game like this.

I wonder how it'll run on a 280GTX, though those 9800GX2 numbers are not exactly promising. My copy of the game will arrive today but I'd consider holding off playing until the new cards come out if I could somehow get 1080p/60fps. Meh.

yeah, very poor performance...bioshock seems to run much nicer...still, Ill have this game in my hands soon to find out

Crovax33

nelsonroyale said:
yeah, very poor performance...bioshock seems to run much nicer...still, Ill have this game in my hands soon to find out
Mass Effect has more on screen action than Bioshock. Also, its going to look way better with all details maxed.

@the new book: why did I thought that there is a Geth on the cover all the time. I just notice its clearly an Quarian (Tali perhaps?) So can we expect some more insight in the Galactica errr I mean Quarian flotilla.

BeeDog

Piece of shit, why does Mass Effect have to be released 6 days before MGS4 here in Sweden? Arf, ah well two great games to play during the summer.

Haunted

The game should run at an average~45fps at the resolution I'm running games according to that chart. yay!

Wiiware last week, Mass Effect and Grid this week = good times to be a PCii gamer. :D

Crovax33

Revolutionary said:
Game is unlocked for D2D download now... connection is shit, though. Probably won't be done until tonight.
Is there any advantage to getting it up from D2D? I am buying it today at Gamestop. I got it for $40. You can still get it at that price as long as you preorder before noon.

On second thought... Its $50 on D2D, and you wont even get to play it today, and have to download it again everytime you reformat. I don't see how this could be an advantage.

Nif

I was at Barnes and Noble yesterday hoping to get the new book. :( Didn't realize it was going to come out in late July. Oh well, I haven't finished the first yet.

Crovax33 said:
Is there any advantage to getting it up from D2D? I am buying it today at Gamestop. I got it for $40. You can still get it at that price as long as you preorder before noon.

On second thought... Its $50 on D2D, and you wont even get to play it today, and have to download it again everytime you reformat. I don't see how this could be an advantage.
I pre-ordered it for $40, same price as in physical stores, looks like they bumped it up to $50 just now.

Also, the download speed is finally going fast (1-1.5mbps), should be done in an hour and change.

See, it's not all bad!

Ventrue said:
I'm a big Bioware fan, but I'm seeing red here.

Planescape.

I prefer ME, largely because of the setting.

Hellraizer said:
@the new book: why did I thought that there is a Geth on the cover all the time. I just notice its clearly an Quarian (Tali perhaps?) So can we expect some more insight in the Galactica errr I mean Quarian flotilla.

Certainly a piece of the story I want to see more of in ME2. The Quarians (the one we met) had one of the coolest back stories in the game IMO.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
masseffectsettings.jpg

Maximum settings on my system (C2D OC/8800 640 OC)

BeeDog

EviLore, what graphics card do you have? Please tell how the game runs on yours, need to decide on what the fuck I should do with my dying card.

Ghost said:
oh nice! The first book was a great lead in to ME, think I might hold off on this one untill ME2 is a little closer though.
I was gonna get it day one, but that's actually a great idea.

I found that even though the book helped familliarize me with the ME universe, it really didn't have too big of an impact on the game's plot. And seeing as how the game is pretty open ended, I'm guessing this book will be pretty vague in any specifics of what happened before it. But I'm still going to be all up in it when ME2 is close to release though.

Crovax33 said:
Mass Effect has more on screen action than Bioshock. Also, its going to look way better with all details maxed.

hehe, well I am playing crysis on cuban config level 4 settings, which looks alot better than mass effect, so I am expecting little problems

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Maxed settings. Hasn't dropped below 30fps yet, so it runs fine enough. C2D E6600 @ 3.24ghz, 8800GTS 640MB @ 650/1900, 4GB ddr2-800.

masseffect01.jpg

masseffect02.jpg

masseffect03.jpg

masseffect04.jpg

masseffect05.jpg

masseffect06.jpg

masseffect07.jpg

masseffect08.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I won't be able to pick this up until tomorrow man. I can't wait to install. After downloading Soulstorm a few months back, I'm done with the digital distro for a little while. It not being on Steam doesn't help much either, but 9.some GB, no thanks mate.

I should be able to run it pretty well on my laptop, maybe at 1280x800, medium details.

I'll post the results for those interested tomorrow. T7250 + 8600mGT + 3GB RAM= ?????

edit - nice screens :O

K.Jack said:
I won't be able to pick this up until tomorrow man. I can't wait to install. After downloading Soulstorm a few months back, I'm done with the digital distro for a little while. It not being on Steam doesn't help much either, but 9.some GB, no thanks mate.

I should be able to run it pretty well on my laptop, maybe at 1280x800, medium details.

I'll post the results for those interested tomorrow. T7250 + 8600mGT = ?????
what laptop do you have?

scarybore

Looks nice in those pictures, but the grain filter doesn't look to hot in stills.

Sorry if it has already been answered, but how are they dealing with the elevator loading sequences on the PC version? Keeping them as they were in the 360 version or have they been shortened?

I'm still not sure wether I will buy this upon UK release, I still don't like the copy protection in use and would rather wait till a crack is made so I can avoid the issue entirely, but I really love Mass Effect and would love to play it on my new PC and hopefully avoid some of the technical issues that the 360 version had and that may force my hand. :D

Top Bottom