• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Without the grain filter.

masseffect09.jpg

masseffect10.jpg

masseffect11.jpg

masseffect12.jpg

Can't turn auto aim completely off. Still notice it. Failure.

Crovax33

FAN-TAS-TIC!
MassEffectError.jpg

I can still play, it just seems I cannot configure it to my full system settings or load it from the games manager in Vista. I need to to into the actual folder to run the game, and it only lets me set the resolution to 1200x800. Also I noticed the textures werent that good even though I set them to Ultra High... GG EA.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Crovax: Vista x64

Initial impressions:

-Inventory system is unwieldy console fare, itemization seems poorly designed. Lots of marginally different crap to sort through.

-Carth is in my squad, die die die Carth.

-Choose good, asshole, or don't give a shit. Press that every time and watch it play out.

-Auto aim you can't completely turn off.

-Cover system is contrived, like every game with it excluding GTAIV. Giant blocks of shit conveniently placed before every encounter.

-Shooting is dry and lacks feedback.

-Nice graphics. Game is making me nauseous, don't know why.

-Writing is fine, dialog plays out pretty naturally.

-Got to KO a mad scientist.

Crovax33

It seems like I am going to have to deal with support if I want to configre the game the way its meant to be played. I'll see later.

zoku88

K.Jack said:
I won't be able to pick this up until tomorrow man. I can't wait to install. After downloading Soulstorm a few months back, I'm done with the digital distro for a little while. It not being on Steam doesn't help much either, but 9.some GB, no thanks mate.

I should be able to run it pretty well on my laptop, maybe at 1280x800, medium details.

I'll post the results for those interested tomorrow. T7250 + 8600mGT + 3GB RAM= ?????

edit - nice screens :O
I'll be looking forward to it. I have a T7700, 8600M GT and 2 GB of RAM...

Crovax,

Are you running the config manager as an ADMIN on the Vista system? If not, that's your issue. There's a thread on the official forums. It's stickied with a few solutions you may want to take a gander at.

Crovax33

There is a problem with AMD Quads. Here is the official support thread. It seems EA didnt test in AMD Quads. However the support admins got into it really quick. This is good in comparison to Funcom which never gives a shit about its support forum. TBH I can wait a week or two if I have to. The good thing is that the admins at the support forum got into the case asap. It makes me feel better this way.
http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=631309&forum=127&sp=0#5803906

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just in case this hasn't been said, signing up on the Bioware community and registering your ME CD-key will net you the first expansion for free.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Some more screens. Yes, my guy looks extremely stupid in profile shots because the character generator didn't show side views (or I didn't see the option to move the camera around if there was one).

masseffect13.jpg

masseffect14.jpg

masseffect15.jpg

masseffect16.jpg

Nif

^heheh

You can make him or her look to the right or to the left, and up and down while making them. I think it was the left or right stick. Not sure how to do it on PC.

edit: And a lot of times the character will look completely normal in the creator, but because of the way lighting and shadows work, they look really strange in-game. I had to make my character something like 8 times before I got it right.

Nif said:
^heheh

You can make him or her look to the right or to the left, and up and down while making them. I think it was the left or right stick. Not sure how to do it on PC.

edit: And a lot of times the character will look completely normal in the creator, but because of the way lighting and shadows work, they look really strange in-game. I had to make my character something like 8 times before I got it right.

Yep, my Sheppard is the blonde chick that everyone was using but there is an angle or two that she goes from amazingly hot to a bit weird looking.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just played the game a lot (wow, lost track of time completely) and I'm really enjoying it. The combat's more fun with some level ups and the renegade dialog options universally rock. I like the NPC teammates, no annoying bullshit every time you do something questionable, unlike the vast majority of the characters in kotor. I don't think real interaction with them should be limited to the ship, that's definitely a step back from BG2, but it's not a big deal.

Great time. I'll avoid the "go to this planet" sidequests for the most part as from what I understand those are all the same and can drain your enthusiasm with the game.

kbear

The game is simply phenomenal. The more people that get to play it the better. I just finished it on 360 a couple of weeks ago and consider it one of my favorite games of this gen, maybe even first overall. I just love epic sci-fi story lines like this. One of the best things is that you'll be able to carry your save file which includes your characters, all the decisions you made, etc., to the next game. I feel attached to some of these characters, especially my Betsy. Speaking of which:

2h5ralz.jpg

6sszf9.jpg

20p4zyt.jpg

kbear

Evilore, if you don't like the way your guy looks, just start over. I'm serious...because you'll be able to carry your save file over to the next two games like I said so you'll be stuck with that face. Either do that or just play it through again I guess.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
EviLore said:
Just played the game a lot (wow, lost track of time completely) and I'm really enjoying it. The combat's more fun with some level ups and the renegade dialog options universally rock. I like the NPC teammates, no annoying bullshit every time you do something questionable, unlike the vast majority of the characters in kotor. I don't think real interaction with them should be limited to the ship, that's definitely a step back from BG2, but it's not a big deal.

Great time. I'll avoid the "go to this planet" sidequests for the most part as from what I understand those are all the same and can drain your enthusiasm with the game.
Most of them are boring, but quite a few of them are fun. What makes them boring is that every sidequest uses the same generic space ship/cave/warehouse/underground warehouse asset with the same basic mission (kill/reason with so and so at the generic asset...). Do a couple of them (the Wrex sidemission and the Sol system sidemission come to mind) before giving up on them.

Nif

kbear said:
Evilore, if you don't like the way your guy looks, just start over. I'm serious...because you'll be able to carry your save file over to the next two games like I said so you'll be stuck with that face. Either do that or just play it through again I guess.

I'm sure a save editor will come along that'll let you change your appearance (crudely) on PC.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
kbear said:

That is a bit unfortunate, yeah.

Somehow, I always end up hating the cheek structure of a female shepard, no matter what I do. The lighting in the create menu is so different than most lighting in-game...it irks me.

kbear

Metroidvania said:
That is a bit unfortunate, yeah.

Somehow, I always end up hating the cheek structure of a female shepard, no matter what I do. The lighting in the create menu is so different than most lighting in-game...it irks me.
My Betsy's got amazing cheek bones. She's hot as fuck.

aeolist

Banned
EviLore said:
Crovax: Vista x64

Initial impressions:

-Inventory system is unwieldy console fare, itemization seems poorly designed. Lots of marginally different crap to sort through.

-Carth is in my squad, die die die Carth.

-Choose good, asshole, or don't give a shit. Press that every time and watch it play out.

-Auto aim you can't completely turn off.

-Cover system is contrived, like every game with it excluding GTAIV. Giant blocks of shit conveniently placed before every encounter.

-Shooting is dry and lacks feedback.

-Nice graphics. Game is making me nauseous, don't know why.

-Writing is fine, dialog plays out pretty naturally.

-Got to KO a mad scientist.
This doesn't actually sound too appealing. Think I'll hold off on this for a while.

Varshes

EviLore said:
Some more screens. Yes, my guy looks extremely stupid in profile shots because the character generator didn't show side views (or I didn't see the option to move the camera around if there was one).

Right click and drag around his/her head to make him/her look there.

Hawk269

A few questions that I hope some of you will answer.

1. My specs: 8800m GT w/512, 3megs of Ram, Intel Core Duo t1550 @1.88mhz. My Vista rating for games is at 4.5. Processor rated at 4.8, Gaming Gfx at 5.8. How will it run on my laptop?

2. I travel 5 days a week, but am mainly a console gamer. Need some games for the road and the 360/Ps3 is too much to lug around. So...is there a preset for controllers in the game? I would hope that they would since it was a 360 game.

Thanks in advance for your answers/feedback.

watership

I seriously wish I could blank my memory of this game and play it all over again. My friend doesn't seem to have that problem. He is playing the PC version literally 1 week after playing through the 360 version. He didn't come to work today. :lol

EviLore said:

Not sure how far in you are, but if it's not too far, I'd consider restarting.

Believe me, thats going to be very annoying the more you play...

Anyways, games like this are when I wish I really had a good computer. I bet there is gonna be some excellent mods for this.

Crovax33

Hawk269 said:
A few questions that I hope some of you will answer.

1. My specs: 8800m GT w/512, 3megs of Ram, Intel Core Duo t1550 @1.88mhz. My Vista rating for games is at 4.5. Processor rated at 4.8, Gaming Gfx at 5.8. How will it run on my laptop?

2. I travel 5 days a week, but am mainly a console gamer. Need some games for the road and the 360/Ps3 is too much to lug around. So...is there a preset for controllers in the game? I would hope that they would since it was a 360 game.

Thanks in advance for your answers/feedback.
ME is rated at 4.0 minimun and 5.0 required. I think your rig will be fine considering your screen is small and you will not play at a huge resolution or need that much AA. Also, there is a program to set any keyboard config to any pad, but I dont have a link to dl right now. Look for it in the AoC thread or in my old posts.

EviLore said:

You should look into at least some of the sidequest.

The Moon (Ours, earths moon) sidequest gives you an upgrade (I can't even remember what it is to be honest).

Some of the other sidequest are just overall cool.
For instance, if you complete the consort quest at the citadel, she gives you a little key. Well, on one of the planets, that key opens up some sort of prothean beacon

Garrus and Wrex have their own personal sidequest that I found to be worth doing.

There is also somewhat of a secondary plot that revolves around many different planets.

The worst sidequest are the "Find X amount of minerals" or "X amount of Salarian medals"...I wouldn't even worry about those. But if you enjoy the shooting aspects enough, and care about your XP, then just going to the "main" bases on each planet tend to revolve around fighting, and really shouldn't take too long to do.

raYne

Liara T'Soni said:
I'm surprised so many dislike the filter, I can't play without it (At least on 360).
I can't imagine playing with it on.

The only people I know who played the game with the filter on didn't know there was an option to turn it off. Once told, they all turned it off imediately.

Kabouter

raYne said:
I can't imagine playing with it on.

The only people I know who played the game with the filter on didn't know there was an option to turn it off. Once told, they all turned it off imediately.
I tried the game with blur and grain filter off, hated it.

sinnergy

Imo Mass Effect == blur filter on, imo.

It hads much to the atmosphere, without it looks sterile. (360 version that is, finished it)

angelfly

You PC players are making me want to play through the game once more (it'll be my 7th time).

sinnergy said:
Imo Mass Effect == blur filter on, imo.

It hads much to the atmosphere, without it looks sterile. (360 version that is, finished it)

That's how I like it. Grain off and blur on.

Top Bottom