• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Ventrue

Slackbladder said:
I sold my Mass Effct. Reading through this thread Iwant to play it again, i only to get the last achievement - finding all the species/ship etc data. Never did find every one.
Such a good game.

You have to say certain things to Captain Andersen before landing on Eden Prime to get the entry on Protheans, by the way.

Ventrue said:
You have to say certain things to Captain Andersen before landing on Eden Prime to get the entry on Protheans, by the way.
Hmm, probably missed that. I think I skipped a lot of dialogue options with Cpt Anderson. Thanks.

itxaka

Defeatist
arrghh. People stop posting in here. Everytime something is posted in here I always come running thinking that new DLC or some info on ME2 has been posted.

:_(

Bernbaum

Hope you don't mind the bump.

I'm about to roll a new character for a second playthrough, this time on PC. Last time round, I played as a good-alligned infiltrator, with Garrus and Ashley for most of the main arc. It was a comprehensive play-through, with every side-quest completed.

I'll likely go for a paragon again this time, and infiltrator was exactly what I wanted last time, but I'm looking for suggestions as to which class to use and a different main squad. I'm sticking with PC for when ME2 comes out, so this will be the character I carry to the next game

Lakitu

st5fu
I've put in 70 hours on this game, and it's easily my favourite game. I'm about to finish up my 2nd play through, once again, completed every side quest. I want more DLC :(

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I'm playing through this game for the 2nd time also. Going for more achievements and actually completing the side quests.

My first playthrough I didn't do any sidequests except for Earth's Moon, because people warned me about how bad they were. So far I actually like all the side quests I've done, but I haven't run into the repetitive environments yet. I'm still on the Citidel. It seems to me that people were mostly complaining about the lack of variety. I have found the actual stories present in the side quests rather interesting so far. Overall I really love this game and am impressed with the attention to detail Bioware has given this universe. It makes me all the more excited for ME2 :D

Zoso said:
I'm playing through this game for the 2nd time also. Going for more achievements and actually completing the side quests.

My first playthrough I didn't do any sidequests except for Earth's Moon, because people warned me about how bad they were. So far I actually like all the side quests I've done, but I haven't run into the repetitive environments yet. I'm still on the Citidel. It seems to me that people were mostly complaining about the lack of variety. I have found the actual stories present in the side quests rather interesting so far. Overall I really love this game and am impressed with the attention to detail Bioware has given this universe. It makes me all the more excited for ME2 :D

The sidequests themselves are actually pretty fun and entertaining, but it's the story of those sidequest that make them so awesome wowsome.

soldat7

I'm going to go through this again (Renegade this time) once the NXE comes out. If installing to the HDD can fix texture pop-in for Gears 2 then surely it will help for ME, right?

I'm actually a bit surprised that no one in the media has tried it yet.

sajj316

soldat7 said:
I'm going to go through this again (Renegade this time) once the NXE comes out. If installing to the HDD can fix texture pop-in for Gears 2 then surely it will help for ME, right?

I'm actually a bit surprised that no one's tried it already in the media.

This is what I want to know ... will def buy Mass Effect if so!

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
soldat7 said:

I'm actually a bit surprised that no one in the media has tried it yet.
I'm curious about this too. The texture pop-in is pretty much the only gripe I have with this game.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
soldat7 said:

I'm actually a bit surprised that no one's tried it already in the media.

Already tested in the NXE threads. It reduces the time to load the textures but does not do away with them.

Zoso

Emenis said:
Already tested in the NXE threads. It reduces the time to load the textures but does not do away with them.
Darn. I guess it's better than nothing though =/

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Here is the rest of the test I did.

Emenis said:
Mass Effect Install Test

Disc Test:

Loading Final Boss Battle:

Load One: 11secs
Load Two: 11Secs
Load Three: 11secs
Load Four: 11 secs
Load Five: 11 secs

Texture Load:

Load One: 3 secs
Load Two: 3 secs
Load Three: 3 secs
Load Four: 3 secs
Load Five: 3 secs

Mass Effect Install Test:

Install Time: 11 Minutes

Loading Game:

Load One: 7secs (-4 Secs)
Load Two: 7secs (-4 Secs)
Load Three: 8secs (-3 Secs)
Load Four: 7secs (-4 Secs)
Load Five: 6secs (-5 Secs)

Texture Load:

Load One: 3 secs
Load Two: 2 secs (-1 Sec)
Load Three: 2 secs (-1 Sec)
Load Four: 2 secs (-1 Sec)
Load Five: 1 sec (-2 Sec)

Presidium

Presidium Save Load Time:

Disc AVG: 12 Secs
Install Avg: 9 Secs

Presidium Save Texture Popin:

Disc Avg: 4 secs
Install Avg: 2secs

Reminder: I have a 20GB Premium Console HDD.

sajj316

Emenis said:

ok, so it knocks off a second or 2 on the texture load. So when the level starts ... there still is a delay in loading a texture? Does it reduce it to a point where its almost non-existent or is the texture lag noticeable.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
sajj316 said:
ok, so it knocks off a second or 2 on the texture load. So when the level starts ... there still is a delay in loading a texture? Does it reduce it to a point where its almost non-existent or is the texture lag noticeable.

It was still noticeable for me and I'm pretty sure someone else mentioned the same.. I can look around again for you guys if you want.

sajj316

Emenis said:
It was still noticeable for me and I'm pretty sure someone else mentioned the same.. I can look around again for you guys if you want.

if you don't mind. I know that my interest if texture-load lag might seem petty but I would if it was reduced to next to nothingness, it really validates the NXE for me.

Emenis said:
Well its UE3 so textures will always pop-up right after you start the game. My "concern" is if the textures in the game still pop-up long after the initial loading (like when you're having a conversation and the camera switches back and forth)

sajj316 said:

As far as texture load, it will never be gone completely. Look at the PC version of UE3 games, they still have texture pop and they stream from the HDD.

DEFINITELY don't miss out on the game because of something minor like that though. That would be silly.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I'm installing it again right now. Any place in particular that had some bad popin? I havent played for a few months.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Walking around the citadel now and not really much popin just every now and then you will see an npc clothing loading as you get closer.

Speaking with an NPC seems to be a mixed bag. Some conversations are smooth with no texture loading and some do have texture loading but it goes by rather quickly.

PatzCU

sajj316 said:
This is what I want to know ... will def buy Mass Effect if so!

If you are holding back on buying Mass Effect because of texture pop-in, you probably just shouldn't get it.

Even the 360 version should be good enough if you don't own a decent rig. The story and gameplay easily make up for any technical flaw that it has.

Walking around the citadel now and not really much popin just every now and then you will see an npc clothing loading as you get closer.

Speaking with an NPC seems to be a mixed bag. Some conversations are smooth with no texture loading and some do have texture loading but it goes by rather quickly.
Thanks for the info. Well any improvement is a good improvement. I hope things will get better with ME2 and I hope Bioware will use the improved UE3 version from Gears 2.

sajj316

PatzCU said:
If you are holding back on buying Mass Effect because of texture pop-in, you probably just shouldn't get it.

I was playing Jade Empire the other day and got me thinking into buying another Bioware RPG. I would NOT buy it at $60 but I will buy it at $30. Like I said before ... its a minor annoyance but a annoyance nevertheless. Just curious ...

sajj316 said:
I was playing Jade Empire the other day and got me thinking into buying another Bioware RPG. I would NOT buy it at $60 but I will buy it at $30. Like I said before ... its a minor annoyance but a annoyance nevertheless. Just curious ...
You can find the PC or 360 version for about 25-35$ now.

itxaka

Defeatist
The Chosen said:
Beside performance, is there any huge differences between the 360 and PC version?

Yes. Menus are much better. PC version is the definitive one.

*Disclaimer: I have only read about it so I can be mistaken. BUY THIS GAME IS AWESOME

I wanna get more achievements in this game..
already beat the game once.

Do I.. start again with a new character and go Bad route?
Or play through again with already played through character?
or both?

Kyoufu

The Chosen said:
Beside performance, is there any huge differences between the 360 and PC version?

Two gameplay differences: you can map all your techs/biotics to your keys for a fully real-time battle system (or still use the wheel if you want) and decryptions are a mini-game rather than a QTE.

DevelopmentArrested said:
I wanna get more achievements in this game..
already beat the game once.

Do I.. start again with a new character and go Bad route?
Or play through again with already played through character?
or both?

Play a new class using an achievement from your last playthrough that benefits you greatly. Like Barrier achievement if you're going to be a Soldier or Singularity if you're going to be a Vanguard.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Goddamnit, every time this gets bumped, I think it's (finally) some info on Mass Effect 2.

Hurry up plz, Bioware, kthx.

vilmer_

I just installed this to the HDD, and I loaded my save point at the final boss... The thing is, it's stuttering like crazy (I never noticed this before). I'm not sure if I should clear the cache or what :/

Llyranor

I enjoyed the game for what it is, despite some pretty glaring flaws (like the horrible sidequests -_-, and the combat could have been a lot better). I'll probably replay it again just through the main story. I really enjoyed the ending and am looking forward to the sequel (not sure about full price or bargain bin yet, depends whether they fixed the first game's flaws). Co-op would make it day1, though!

For those who like this type of game, look forward to Alpha Protocol too! It's coming out in a few months (dev = Obsidian, PC|PS3|360, modern espionage WRPG with shooter combat mechanics) early next year. I have high expectations for the story|writing|characters (maybe lesser ones for the polish, knowing Obs :D).

Wiggum2007

You know, people give Mass Effect a lot of crap for its side quests (and that's understandable), but I really enjoyed them and played every one I found. I really just enjoyed all the little bits of backstory the side quests had, I really like the Mass Effect Universe.

That said, for ME2, besides fixing the obvious flaws with the side quests that I won't mention because they've been discussed to death, I think they need to make the side quests make more sense within the main storyline. What I mean is, it didn't really make sense in ME1 how I was in a race against time chasing a rogue spectre across the galaxy with the fate of all sentient beings at stake, but then I'd take a break from that to travel to the opposite side of the galaxy to help some random nobody track down his brother who he hasn't heard from in a week.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Acid08 said:
Just finished it. Wow. What an incredible game. BioWare really does need to fix the texture popun though. Some of those last cutscenes were really affected by it. Now excuse me, I'm going to shake down the BioWare doctors for ME2 info.

It's a tech problem. All Unreal 3 games suffer from it on all platforms.

Jtyettis said:
Where the heck is the rest of the DLC for this? Didn't they have planned three DLC packs for this or?
Yeah I'd like to know this as well. Hopefully soon we'll see another DLC or the acutal sequel...

vilmer_ said:
I just installed this to the HDD, and I loaded my save point at the final boss... The thing is, it's stuttering like crazy (I never noticed this before). I'm not sure if I should clear the cache or what :/

You know what, Gears 2 did the same thing to me too. It ran fine without the install with some pop-in but no biggie, I installed it and now the load times are significantly longer and there is still pop-in.

smh

FrankT

The Lamonster said:
Yeah I'd like to know this as well. Hopefully soon we'll see another DLC or the acutal sequel...

Have a feeling we may not hear a thing on ME2 until Dragon Age is out for all the different SKUs. This has been Bioware's MO in the past. However, under EA they may speed things up a bit on the marketing side. Who knows. Still want the rest of the DLC for this one sooner rather than later.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Wiggum2007 said:
You know, people give Mass Effect a lot of crap for its side quests (and that's understandable), but I really enjoyed them and played every one I found. I really just enjoyed all the little bits of backstory the side quests had, I really like the Mass Effect Universe.

That said, for ME2, besides fixing the obvious flaws with the side quests that I won't mention because they've been discussed to death, I think they need to make the side quests make more sense within the main storyline. What I mean is, it didn't really make sense in ME1 how I was in a race against time chasing a rogue spectre across the galaxy with the fate of all sentient beings at stake, but then I'd take a break from that to travel to the opposite side of the galaxy to help some random nobody track down his brother who he hasn't heard from in a week.

Also needs a better UI and more meaningful customization...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damn it man, every time this topic is bumped, it reminds me that I want to beat this game again and again, but I really don't have the time till next year...

Easily my second favorite new IP right after Gears, and I mean, right after... f'ing brilliant package...

Domino Theory said:
Man, after playing through the campaign 8 times and then taking a long break from it, I'm so ready for Mass Effect 2.

Sir, I want to shake your hand.

Lime

WHERE'S MY ME2 ANNOUNCEMENT?

Seriously, if they want to do all three games on the 360, they better be hurrying with the sequels. At best, we'll see ME2 in the end of 2009, but that's still a long shot for a game that hasn't even been announced yet.

The team is probably (helping) working on that cartoony Star Wars MMO. Meh.

Mindlog

Lime said:
WHERE'S MY ME2 ANNOUNCEMENT?

Seriously, if they want to do all three games on the 360, they better be hurrying with the sequels. At best, we'll see ME2 in the end of 2009, but that's still a long shot for a game that hasn't even been announced yet.

The team is probably (helping) working on that cartoony Star Wars MMO. Meh.

I'm growing concerned that the Dragon Age release date will have a significant impact on ME2's :\

I'm fully aware that BW possibly has plenty of people to work on ME2, but positioning to go head to head against Dragon Age is not going to happen and I foresee that title's release given the greater emphasis atm.

tak

Mass Effect is like Oblivion to me. Sure the game has it's flaws, but the stuff it does right, it does really well. I cannot wait for the sequel.

Top Bottom