• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Shoogoo

So if I want all that bunch of achievements I need to do 3 playthroughs?

1/Normal (and tag with 2 teammates all game long)
2/Hardcore (and tag with 2 other teammates)
3/Insane (and tag with the 2 remaining)

Keeping the same character from one playtrough to another

Seems like achievements on this game is a bitch

Shoogoo said:
So if I want all that bunch of achievements I need to do 3 playthroughs?

1/Normal (and tag with 2 teammates all game long)
2/Hardcore (and tag with 2 other teammates)
3/Insane (and tag with the 2 remaining)

Keeping the same character from one playtrough to another

You could do hardcore with another character, it's not as hard as you think. You also get benefits and stats boost for all unlocked achievements. When you unlock certain weapon/biotic/tech achievements, you can put one of those weapon/biotic/tech skills on any new character, which should also make things a little easier on hardcore.

I'm playing insanity right now with a new character. The thing about the difficulty in the game is that it's like a switch. It always starts out hard, but when you level up certain abilities the game goes from being hard to incredibly easy in a second. I'm playing a soldier and was having a hell of a time at first, but I finally got my immunity ability leveled up where I can simply walk through any encounter killing whatever moves while taking minimal damage.

Shoogoo

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I finally got my immunity ability leveled up where I can simply walk through any encounter killing whatever moves while taking minimal damage.

Sounds cool for my insane playthrough, how do you get that Immune skill? :D

Thanks for the tip Hellraizer, I think I'll create a new character every time. Well first I have to finish it once.

Shoogoo said:

It shouldn't take you more than 10-15 hours to blast through the game, skipping all the sidequests, on your replays. (Well, I guess maybe on Insanity you'll die a lot. :lol )

Shoogoo

charlequin said:
It shouldn't take you more than 10-15 hours to blast through the game, skipping all the sidequests, on your replays. (Well, I guess maybe on Insanity you'll die a lot. :lol )

but if I run thu the game I won't have those "Krogan ally", "Asari ally" nor the "Completionist" achievement? Or maybe I got something wrong there.

Uncle

charlequin said:

But then you'll skip the ally achievements, completionist achievement, and probably the extreme gamer achievement as well.

epmode

Shoogoo said:
but if I run thu the game I won't have those "Krogan ally", "Asari ally" nor the "Completionist" achievement? Or maybe I got something wrong there.
Those achievements are a joke. Don't even bother going for them.

Shoogoo said:
Sounds cool for my insane playthrough, how do you get that Immune skill? :D

Thanks for the tip Hellraizer, I think I'll create a new character every time. Well first I have to finish it once.

I know the Soldier class has it, maybe the sentinel has it also I'm not sure. But you just get it through leveling up, takes a little bit though. Also at level 20 when you pick a new class one of the options allows for enhanced immunity which is what really makes you invincible.

Uncle

Shoogoo said:
Why is that? I'd rather go for the full completion of it.

They can be a pain in the ass to get. But as achievements they ar quite nice. Completionist gives you +5% in future XP, Krogan ally gives you 1hp/s regen, and Asari ally improves your Barrier and Singularity recharge time by 10%.

Chinner

Banned
Uncle said:
They can be a pain in the ass to get. But as achievements they ar quite nice. Completionist gives you +5% in future XP, Krogan ally gives you 1hp/s regen, and Asari ally improves your Barrier and Singularity recharge time by 10%.
Yeah. If you're wanting to make a badass character in preperation for ME2, I would suggest you get all the achievements and start a new character so they get all the benefits. Theres also a few guides on how to make a gold standard class builds.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Gold_Standard_Class_Builds

Mass Effect is one of those rare games where it gives you something back for your hard work or diligence. Actually bothering to get an Achievement is worth while as they usually give you something in return.

Insanity really wasn't too tough for my lvl 50 Engineer but he had the bonus of Barrier. I wasn't looking forward to the last battle but it was easier than my first play through. Mass Effect is a game I know I will keep returning to again and again. There really aren't that many games that I can say that of.

Shoogoo

Chinner said:
Yeah. If you're wanting to make a badass character in preperation for ME2, I would suggest you get all the achievements and start a new character so they get all the benefits. Theres also a few guides on how to make a gold standard class builds.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Gold_Standard_Class_Builds

Yeah I saw that. But isn't there a trailer for ME2 where Shepard dies or something? I'm not much into the hype (but I'll be in, eventualy and hopefully :D)

Chinner

Banned
Shoogoo said:
Yeah I saw that. But isn't there a trailer for ME2 where Shepard dies or something? I'm not much into the hype (but I'll be in, eventualy and hopefully :D)
It's hinted that he's dead. However, the majority of the ME community will tell you with complete confidence that Shepard is not dead and the teaser is just doing it for marketing purposes. Mind you, its not completly all for marketing purposes, as its given us a few directions on how ME2 will play out.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I'm playing through this for my first time. If i finish it then start a new game do i get to repick my class and redistribute my points? Or am i stuck with the points and class i have?

Shoogoo

Another question before I get started;

Achievements give bonuses, do they take effect directly? And if I do a New Game+ with the same character will he have the bonuses from my unlocked achievements?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have no idea if they take effect in the game you are playing after you unlocked the achievement. Maybe?

Anyway, some tips:

If you are getting the character achievement, Liara and Tali will be the hardest characters in the game. Do NOT do any Citadel missions except the ones required to get the ship. Use Tali to get Liara and then use both characters exclusively for the rest of the game. For these characters, you will have to do nearly every mission and side mission in the game to get the achievements.

There is a god mode build, but I can't remember the complete details. I believe that you need a soldier or sentinel build and you need to do the Moon sidequest. There will be a "perk" that you can pick that will allow you to regenerate the shield/invulnerability power before the power actually wears off. So, you can essentially keep yourself invincible for the entire game. I'm sure someone else can be more specific.

The vehicle armor does NOT scale with the level, meaning your stupid Mako will die fairly quickly on insane. Most levels you can just drive through but if you are having trouble, there is a glitch where if you save the game inside the Mako and load it, you will instantly regenerate the shields. It beats waiting for the regen period, especially if you don't have an engineer with you.

Shoogoo said:
Another question before I get started;

Achievements give bonuses, do they take effect directly? And if I do a New Game+ with the same character will he have the bonuses from my unlocked achievements?
I think they do. And yes, the same character will have the bonuses too.

This game is great. I only recently got it along with a 360 and it rocks. I've had a blast exploring the terrain of these really beautiful planets, though they could have used more detail. And the story is pretty cool.

Uncle

zombieshavebrains said:
I'm playing through this for my first time. If i finish it then start a new game do i get to repick my class and redistribute my points? Or am i stuck with the points and class i have?

You can't redistribute points with the main character.

Mindlog

nubbe said:
Play as a fresh engineer on Insane... or you are a pussy.

:lol

I think I am going to try that.

The only place I've had problems in my past few playthroughs is with the Thorian Creepers. I'm going to try plowing through them with an all push/singularity party.

Otherwise, even on insane I can fly through the game now.

Shoogoo

firehawk12 said:
There is a god mode build, but I can't remember the complete details. I believe that you need a soldier or sentinel build and you need to do the Moon sidequest. There will be a "perk" that you can pick that will allow you to regenerate the shield/invulnerability power before the power actually wears off. So, you can essentially keep yourself invincible for the entire game. I'm sure someone else can be more specific.

I looked after this on the wiki and on gamefaqs but couldn't find anything related to it. Anybody got more infos?

Also, thanks to everyone for their help!

A poster over at the Mass Effect forums (sheridanmovieguy) has compiled all the music on the Mass Effect disc into one download. This includes tracks that did not appear on the OST (Vermire Assault), some even did not appear in the game (like Spooky Presidium). It even includes all the elevator music!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1U9RW0NQ

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shoogoo said:
Oh yeah I saw that one.. Seems a little bit too strong though. Thanks again!

Yeah, it's designed to get you through the game easily. It's almost like that super wrench build in BioShock.

GenericPseudonym said:
A poster over at the Mass Effect forums (sheridanmovieguy) has compiled all the music on the Mass Effect disc into one download. This includes tracks that did not appear on the OST (Vermire Assault), some even did not appear in the game (like Spooky Presidium). It even includes all the elevator music!

Such a great soundtrack. Can't wait to see what they have for us for ME2.

Wow I was actually just about to start looking for the soundtrack. The ending credits song was awesome. And praise the lord for new game+, new game+ is the greatest thing to happen to videogames.

Hootie

GenericPseudonym said:

Wait so that "Virmire Ride" track that was on the OST isn't the version from the actual assault?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GenericPseudonym said:

Good stuff. One of the few things I wont criticize about the game. Especially Sovereign's Theme and its remix

soldat7

GenericPseudonym said:

Oh wow. This is great! Those first two ambient tracks are incredible.
Is this legal???

holy shit this was just the thread I was looking for. Has anyone found an extended version of Uncharted Worlds from the soundtrack? fucking google, turned up nothing.

Nikorasu

GenericPseudonym said:

Thank you! I've been looking for that version of Virmire everywhere!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hrm, does anyone know if there's a longer version of that piano bit that plays after you make the "choice" on Vermire?
It plays a little bit at the end of the track called
"Vermire Escape (Left Behind)"
?

Or did the game just loop that bit over and over again?

Zyzyxxz

beat the game recently can somebody explain to me some of the choices you make in the game:

- does being evil the entire way affect anything seriously?

- what happens when choosing to save the council

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zyzyxxz said:
beat the game recently can somebody explain to me some of the choices you make in the game:

- does being evil the entire way affect anything seriously?

- what happens when choosing to save the council

Yes, but only subtly.
You choose the two same choices as the Paragon ending, but the tone of the ending is different - ie, humanity decides to take charge of the council.

You can watch the Renegade endings here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k94mL5KDbU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MNMN2dKbKI

demifiend

GenericPseudonym said:

Excellent. Now, if only I can pick out the one file from
when you order the fleet to save the Ascension, that really heroic piece. I love it, but there are so many files to go through.

Damn the Mass Effect soundtrack was awesome. Its been the one mainstay on my MP3 player since its release. Looking forward to seeing what treasures are awaiting me :D

Shoogoo

After 1 day
I'm done with Benezia.
It was MUCH easier than my first time around!

I'm doing every assignement possible, still aiming for that completionist achievement. But there is something that grew old very fast already.. fkin Mako exploration. Do I really need to scan every system and search every planet I can land on? It's so dull after a while I was almost falling asleep!

edit : I almost forgot to say ; I'm finally loving this game. I didn't when it was out but when I think of it, my life was quite a mess back then.

Samara

Shoogoo said:
After 1 day
I'm done with Benezia.
It was MUCH easier than my first time around!

I'm doing every assignement possible, still aiming for that completionist achievement. But there is something that grew old very fast already.. fkin Mako exploration. Do I really need to scan every system and search every planet I can land on? It's so dull after a while I was almost falling asleep!

edit : I almost forgot to say ; I'm finally loving this game. I didn't when it was out but when I think of it, my life was quite a mess back then.

No. you don't need to scan everything. What you get as a message in the journal, either by Hackett or some random person; is what you need to do.

Always bring the same person every damn time. Even those sidequest on the citadel count, so make sure of that.

Shoogoo

sweetwasabi said:
No. you don't need to scan everything. What you get as a message in the journal, either by Hackett or some random person; is what you need to do.

Always bring the same person every damn time. Even those sidequest on the citadel count, so make sure of that.

Top Bottom