• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

GloveSlap

Wasn't there supposed to be a new $19.99 version of Mass Effect with the DLC and a bonus disc? I thought I remember reading that but now I can't find any mention of it.

If so, does anyone know when it's coming out? I have been waiting to pick up the game for that.

DuckRacer

GloveSlap said:
Wasn't there supposed to be a new $19.99 version of Mass Effect with the DLC and a bonus disc? I thought I remember reading that but now I can't find any mention of it.

If so, does anyone know when it's coming out? I have been waiting to pick up the game for that.
It's already out. It's the platinum hits version.

GenericPseudonym said:
A poster over at the Mass Effect forums (sheridanmovieguy) has compiled all the music on the Mass Effect disc into one download. This includes tracks that did not appear on the OST (Vermire Assault), some even did not appear in the game (like Spooky Presidium). It even includes all the elevator music!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1U9RW0NQ

This is fucking awesome man, thanks.

Props to the creator, if that person is reading.

It's very rare for me to listen to a games soundtrack, most of the highly acclaimed ones tend to copy the (imo) overly sentimental stuff found in movies...this games soundtrack is so refreshing, and has actually been responsible for me delving into other forms of electronic music.

I hate to admit it, but I have yet to read the second book yet. I've just felt that there need not be a rush considering how far away the game is, but hell, I may put this on when I have some spare time and finish it.

Shoogoo

After 3 days
I reached Ilos and I'm ready to kick Saren's balls
I just grabbed my Tali ally achievement altough I kept her in my party the whole time and I did all sidequests possible. I thought I was screwed, seems a little glitched. Getting Liara's one won't be easy, any tips?

Awesome game! Finally I can give it the love it deserves! And .. I found Tali to be pretty strong, or is it me?

UraMallas

Shoogoo said:
After 3 days
I reached Ilos and I'm ready to kick Saren's balls
I just grabbed my Tali ally achievement altough I kept her in my party the whole time and I did all sidequests possible. I thought I was screwed, seems a little glitched. Getting Liara's one won't be easy, any tips?

Awesome game! Finally I can give it the love it deserves! And .. I found Tali to be pretty strong, or is it me?
Liara's is the hardest one, by far. You have to go to the planet she is on immediately without so much as touching any quests on the Citadel. You then have to do basically every single side quest in the game and her achievement will unlock very close to the end of the game. Good luck!

Shoogoo

UraMallas said:
Good luck!

Thanks! I'm done with my first playthrough and already halfway in my second. I love this game so much I might do the 3 playthroughs in 1 week, and restart an all fresh character after.

Don't you guys find it sad that on 360 you can only have one hotkey? :/

Piano

Banned
Hey GAF, help me figure out how to replay Mass Effect.

I played through the first time as a Paragon Vanguard.
I want to play through once as a Renegade, but I'm not sure if I should do that on my new game +, or if I should just play new game + again as a paragon to level up to 60 and then start a whole other game with a different class and play as a Renegade.

HELP! I'm indecisive.

Doodis

TheEastonator said:

I want to play through once as a Renegade, but I'm not sure if I should do that on my new game +, or if I should just play new game + again as a paragon to level up to 60 and then start a whole other game with a different class and play as a Renegade.

HELP! I'm indecisive.
My first character was a Paragon Vanguard as well. I just recently played through again with new game +, but kept him as a Paragon. Then I switched to a brand new female character and I'm playing through as a Renegade. After I finish that playthrough, I'll continue with my Paragon to get to level 60.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only problem with doing the same character again with the opposite alignment is that you'll waste points levelling up your charm or intimidate.

One thing that you might want to remember is that you will get 2 points in each "skill" per play through. Of course, there's also that infinite alignment glitch as well, so I suppose you don't have to worry about it if you are going to cheat...

TheEastonator said:

HELP! I'm indecisive.
It's really up to you. Don't worry about overwriting your paragon vanguard career. You can't do that, when you play through new game+ as renegade vanguard, you will have two different "saved careers" in the end to choose for a new "ng+" or for ME2. You can try this out yourself if you have a near endgame save from your vanguard playthrough. Play through the game again, you should have two different careers to choose from for ng+ after that (if I remember correctly, as I did that "test" almost a year ago...)

Acidote

You probably already have scanned that one and are missing another. Avina tells that even when you've already done it.

Try with the one at the embassy where the elcor and the angry volus are. There's a glitch with that one and sometimes doesn't load.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
yoopoo said:
Keepers help - I have 20 of the 21 scanned. But when I try to scan the last one (@ 1:28 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcZT4LgRr4w ) the purple chick tells me not to disturb the keeper...it doesn't let me scan :/

Is it even worth getting all the keepers?

That isnt the one you are missing. You get that one and then she says please do not disturb the keepers.

I should know. I just played through the game twice and that part 3 times to get level 60

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Quick question for those with the Platium hits addition

Is the Bring down the Sky Content on the disc or is it a DLC code?

Mindlog

Acidote said:
You probably already have scanned that one and are missing another. Avina tells that even when you've already done it.

Try with the one at the embassy where the elcor and the angry volus are. There's a glitch with that one and sometimes doesn't load.

This happened to me.

The one I hadn't scanned was a fairly obvious one two (in the ward's market area.) I passed it by around a dozen times because I knew I had already scanned it :|

Just beat the game last night. Fantastic game with one of the best end game songs I have ever heard in my life!

I just wish the game was longer (I assumed it would at least be as long as KOTOR) I'm gonna do all the sidequests in my second playthrough.

Is the DLC worth getting?

Mamesj

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
Just beat the game last night. Fantastic game with one of the best end game songs I have ever heard in my life!

I just wish the game was longer (I assumed it would at least be as long as KOTOR) I'm gonna do all the sidequests in my second playthrough.

Hey, I just finished it last night too. :)

Bringing down the sky is pretty decent. There isn't much to say about it, other than that it's a very fun sidequest with an interesting story behind it. Takes about an hour to finish and has a lot of action.

Epiphyte

Unregistered007 said:
This game seems really hard, I am like 4 to 6 hours in... any tips ?
Are you manually controlling your squad?

Letting the AI handle them makes encounters far more difficult, because it will just sit back and plink at enemies

Be sure you're pausing and using your allies special abilities

Ramirez

Sorry for the bump, but I just beat this last night, is there no way to go back after I finish the game and do side quests? I hit resume and it just puts me back into the final battle, it was really late so I didn't really look around in the options, please tell me there's a way to continue on in sidequests and leveling. :(

Ramirez said:
Sorry for the bump, but I just beat this last night, is there no way to go back after I finish the game and do side quests? I hit resume and it just puts me back into the final battle, it was really late so I didn't really look around in the options, please tell me there's a way to continue on in sidequests and leveling. :(

IMO late bumps don't apply to official threads. This is where your comment belongs.

Yes, just start a new game+ and continue with the same character. You'll start with your old level intact.

Sounds like you were loading the last auto-save or something.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ramirez said:

IF you meant going back to finish up old sidequests WITHOUT starting a new game, unless you have a manual save before landing on whatever the last planet is called,name escapes me atm....yeah, as Gregor said, new game+ is your only real option.

Ramirez

gregor7777 said:
IMO late bumps don't apply to official threads. This is where your comment belongs.

Yes, just start a new game+ and continue with the same character. You'll start with your old level intact.

Sounds like you were loading the last auto-save or something.

Nice, thanks.

Started playing this again. Just hit Level 50. Man, this game is totally radical. I think I'm also going to start up a total old man renegade bad-ass so I can get the Assault and Sniper achievements, as my go to Miranda Shepard is stuck on Shotguns/Pistols.

I had the most difficult time finding a new copy of Mass Effect! I finally found one last week, fired it up today, and have been having a hell of a time keeping track of everything the game is throwing at me so far. I just finished meeting with the council .

I am playing on a SDTV and cannot read the text. :(

Does the game get a little less dense as you play? I just feel like there is SO much backstory that it is hard to remember everything.

I am ordering a HDTV to make it easier to read. :)

outunderthestars said:
I had the most difficult time finding a new copy of Mass Effect! I finally found one last week, fired it up today, and have been having a hell of a time keeping track of everything the game is throwing at me so far. I just finished meeting with the council .

Awesome man, you still have the best parts of the game in front of you. Just try not to invest more time in the Mako than you have to and you'll come out of this very very very happy...:D

Really? Which text? Thats shitty if it's the dialogue text.

I've been playing on HD lately, but when I first got the game I didn't have an HDTV at the time. I didn't really think it was HD exclusive. But, I do have a pretty big SDTV.

Does the game get a little less dense as you play? I just feel like there is SO much backstory that it is hard to remember everything.

Well, they are setting up a new universe, and the game is dialogue heavy by nature....once you get to leave the citadel though, there is less to digest. The main quest actually isn't all that long so I'd just focus on that and if you enjoy the game enough you'll pick up more on a replay.

Oh well damn, than forget what I said earlier, looks like you'll be okay....:D

Talon

Sinatar said:
It's not your xbox, the game is a bit of mess technically. Makes me wonder why it got a free pass for those issues last year whereas Last Remnant is getting raked over the coals this year for the same shit.

Anyways, regardless of that the game runs fantastic on PC. Nice constant framerate (obviously depending on your hardware) and little to no texture pop in. As an added bonus you get the full squad control that they showed off in early builds but then subsequently removed from the 360 version.
The game got shellacked for the performance issues, but the gameplay and the (central) campaign was excellent enough to ignore those problems somewhat.

I loved the first game despite the glaring flaws (sidequests, performance, copy and paste design, etc.), but I'm chalking those up to ME being planned as a franchise. The quality was there in the central campaign in spades. Hopefully ME2 will provide the depth and variety consistently across the whole game.

Talon- said:
The game got shellacked for the performance issues, but the gameplay and the (central) campaign was excellent enough to ignore those problems somewhat.

I loved the first game despite the glaring flaws (sidequests, performance, copy and paste design, etc.), but I'm chalking those up to ME being planned as a franchise. The quality was there in the central campaign in spades. Hopefully ME2 will provide the depth and variety consistently across the whole game.

Mass Effect is a game whose sum is faaaar greater than it's parts. For all it's flaws, it's still my number one game this gen.

If they can recreate some of the magic that they had on Virmire, Ilos, the Citadel gravity level, the hot labs, thorian cave, as well as tighten up the gameplay a bit, this will surpass all expectations.

Mindlog

outunderthestars said:

There are many players that know exactly how you feel. Combat in particular was a little tricky because I never figured out what powers to use when until further into the game. It just takes a bit of time to get to the less drowning phase of the game.

I'm patiently waiting to turn my 1050 into an 1100.

A little miffed I know what happens to some stuff already just from the pre-E3 teaser :\ Would have been happier if that had surprised me. Avoiding ME2 spoilers is going to be hard as hell.

Anticitizen One said:

It was a nice freebie (PC version), though not in any way worth paying for.

HBP

Sorry to bump this but I am having trouble finding an answer to this question.

The Bringing Down the Sky DLC on the Platinum Hits version does it just install or is it a one time use code/authorization?

I want to get it off Goozex but want to make sure I will be able to play the DLC.

EDIT: to clarify I know it is on the disc but I want to make sure it isn't a one time use.

I have a problem with my Mass Effect and the DLC Bring Down the Sky on my Xbox.

I'm using a Gamertag that I know I didn't use to download the DLC and on the menu it says 'Error: On or more downloadable content files could not be accessed. Please try deleting the files(s) and downloading again. The file(s) in question are Bring Down the Sky'.
And I try to load a save and I can't as it says 'Selected Save Game could not be loaded. Downloadable Content missing from XBox. Module(s) in question: Bring down the Sky [ENPLES]'.

Now I'm pretty sure I played the game on this Gamertag with no problem before (and it works on the Gamertag I downloaded it with). After all it won't load because the save has the DLC in its memory as existing but can't seem to find it, even though I have it and it works.
I have multiple saves and multiple careers.

What I'm thinking is has Microsoft changed the way DLC works? Have they made it so only the Gamertag that downloaded it can use it?
I have other games with DLC like Fable II which have been used on multiple Gamertags and it all works fine, though it's been quite a while since I've played the games on my 360. Has there been any changes recently? I don't get why it no longer works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This game has one of the best stories ever. I loved the game. I fucking loved it. I am so glad I waited until now to play it. It makes the wait for the second game less painful.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
godhandiscen said:
This game has one of the best stories ever. I loved the game. I fucking loved it. I am so glad I waited until now to play it. It makes the wait for the second game less painful.

But it's still so far away :(.

jtb

Banned
I thought they were making some DLC to bridge the gap between ME1 and ME2? Is that still coming?

My biggest fear for ME2 is that it'll get pushed back all the way to Fall 2010, just like ME1 got pushed back from spring also. :(

Beat the game twice in a row, and just started on my 3rd play. I chose different backgrounds and abilities, squad members, and main missions in different orders every time. This game is just way too much fun, 2010 can't come soon enough.

Wow.. what they require you to do for acheivements in this game is completely and utterly fucking bogus (see: ally acheivements particularly).

EDIT: Guess I missed the part for new game +. Where is that option? I beat the game on Renegade Vanguard, however if I do a new game + that's the char I'll be playing, right? I don't want to do that, despite bonuses (??), as I'd like to try other classes. So I'm fine without the NG+ at this time..?

Kureishima said:
Wow.. what they require you to do for acheivements in this game is completely and utterly fucking bogus (see: ally acheivements particularly).

It's pretty much just those that suck though. And they do suck for someone trying to get 100%.

However, IMO Mass Effect has the best use of achievement/trophies in any game I've played thus far.

EDIT: yeah, with NG+ you can use your older characters. However, if you got the achievement for say, sniper rifles or lift or something, you get to add one of those to any new character you roll.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Kureishima said:

Yep, the ally achievements are ridiculous. I hadn't read up on the details of these when I played through the game for the first time. I switched out Wrex for Liara in the Noveria chapter, thinking I could still get the achievement because I only played one story segment without him (description only says 'majority')

Turns out you have to complete 15 main quests and 40 (approx.) assignments with each character to get it. Noveria so happens to have a LOT of main quest entries, so I couldn't the achievement for Wrex anymore, no matter how many assignments I did.

This is ridiculous, since the game even suggests you take Liara for that section.

You also have to follow a strict structure to get Liara's achievement: go straight to the place she's held without doing any other assignments until she's on your team.

The other achievements are fine... Not the most varied set, but I like how you get upgrades for them. Replay value is high for this game.

gregor7777 said:
It's pretty much just those that suck though. And they do suck for someone trying to get 100%.

However, IMO Mass Effect has the best use of achievement/trophies in any game I've played thus far.

EDIT: yeah, with NG+ you can use your older characters. However, if you got the achievement for say, sniper rifles or lift or something, you get to add one of those to any new character you roll.

I don't understand what you mean.

EDIT: And yes, just the fact that I could definitely play the "majority" of what I played with fixed party members and not get it.. rather you have to do like 50 fucking quests. So if you *wanted* to get that with all chars, that's three fucking times. That's not any kind of idea of fun (yes, I immediately started a second playthrough and might do a third, but in no way did I systematically try to do each thing each time)

Einbroch

Banned
I just beat this for the fourth time last week.

I am madly in love with this game. The DLC was alright, but what I did love was the ending paragon/renegade choice. I wish BioWare would stop with the blue-red text and make more interesting choices like this. For example:

A transport shuttle carrying Earth citizens is about to crash into a planet. You have the choice to either:
1) Try and steer the shuttle to the water, thus saving everyone on board.
2) Assist children into escape pods, ensuring the safety of the children.

These choices are not good or bad, but a gray that really makes you think...what would I choose?

That's my one gripe with Mass Effect. You're either a trigger happy jerk or a kiss ass marine.

But I still love it! :D

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Anyone else been waiting impatiently for 7 months on word of the new patch? Bioware's really been horrible with their community relations on that front. Not even a confirmation on fixing Garrus' face.

I'd go and say this has severly deminished my desire to support the franchise, but that's a lie. It just gets me raging all over the keyboard.

soultron

Banned
Thinking I might pick up the game again for a third playthrough and the BDTS DLC.

Does anyone have a link to an article that exactly details which character(s) will be carried through if you have an existing playthrough? My first Shepherd, lvl 49, has a good and an evil playthrough completed, and the best weapons/armour available. (Mastercraft X or whatever they were?)

I simply want to know if I have to start a new ME1 character and complete a "good" run through in order for those decisions to stick with my ME2 character. (My lvl 49 character's latest playthrough was "evil.")

Kureishima said:
I don't understand what you mean.

If on your first playthrough you get the Sniper Rifle achievement, then on your second playthrough if you create a new character you can add the ability to use sniper rifles to that character.

gregor7777 said:
If on your first playthrough you get the Sniper Rifle achievement, then on your second playthrough if you create a new character you can add the ability to use sniper rifles to that character.

You mean if you do a new game plus with the same character? Because I got a couple of achivements and wasn't given any option like this when I was rerolling a new char.

Kureishima said:
You mean if you do a new game plus with the same character? Because I got a couple of achivements and wasn't given any option like this when I was rerolling a new char.

Nope, new character. Use them as a bonus skill. Not sure why you didn't see it.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Achievements#Weapons

Once you unlock a weapon/ability Achievement, you may add that weapon skill/ability to any character you create in the future. The option to select an unlocked weapon or ability will appear during character creation process. You do not have to finish a play-through after acquiring an Achievement, as you get the bonus immediately upon the unlocking.

One of the main abilities of these Bonus Talents is that they allow you to unlock weapons normally specialized for some classes. For example, Adepts and Engineers, who ordinarily rely solely on pistols, may use an unlocked assault rifle or shotgun talent to make them a lot more capable in heavy combat situations.

Top Bottom