• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Flunkie

Banned
I'm thinking about replaying Mass Effect, and I'm torn between the two versions. If I knew that the PC and 360 releases of ME2 were coming on the same day, I'd play the PC version, no doubt about it. But for my replay, I'm going to be starting a new character, and use that save file to carry over to ME2. Now, I want to be sure that I can get ME2 as soon as possible. So should I play on 360 just to be safe?

Flunkie said:
I'm thinking about replaying Mass Effect, and I'm torn between the two versions. If I knew that the PC and 360 releases of ME2 were coming on the same day, I'd play the PC version, no doubt about it. But for my replay, I'm going to be starting a new character, and use that save file to carry over to ME2. Now, I want to be sure that I can get ME2 as soon as possible. So should I play on 360 just to be safe?

Unfortunately. I'm worried about the ME2 PC release as well.

It's still a ways off though...maybe wait until you hear more about the PC version unless you're dying to play it now.

Kureishima said:
Damn dude, that's awesome. I really could have used that on my current Sentinel. I unlocked a couple of the acehivements with my first round. . . sigh. This time I'll be more vigilant when I create a new char.

Yeah, it's awesome. Wish more games would try something similar. I can't recall exactly when they ask you which bonus skill you want, but it's definitely in character creation.

ccarver3

Lyphen said:
Anyone else been waiting impatiently for 7 months on word of the new patch? Bioware's really been horrible with their community relations on that front. Not even a confirmation on fixing Garrus' face.

I'd go and say this has severly deminished my desire to support the franchise, but that's a lie. It just gets me raging all over the keyboard.

It's always seemed to me like Bioware's community relations drops exponentially with sales.

They're terrible about patches.

Hootie

I'm trying to get back into this game but quite frankly, being level 60 and having beaten the game about 5-6 times, it gets a bit tough to keep playing :lol

The biggest problem is that I'm trying to get the ally achievements so I have to grind through all of those bullshit side quests that are all exactly the same. The main story, on the other hand, has near infinite replay value. The last hour or two are absolutely mindblowingly epic.

Finally finished the game.

At first I thought it was over when
Saren blew his head off
, but the real final battle was a nice touch.

Something I didn't like though...

I just found out there's two more difficulty settings, BUT ONLY AFTER YOU COMPLETE THE GAME. I hate this kind of secret feature. Already I found Veteran somewhat easy. I would've loved to start on Hardcore on my first playthrough.

Hootie said:
I'm trying to get back into this game but quite frankly, being level 60 and having beaten the game about 5-6 times, it gets a bit tough to keep playing :lol

The biggest problem is that I'm trying to get the ally achievements so I have to grind through all of those bullshit side quests that are all exactly the same. The main story, on the other hand, has near infinite replay value. The last hour or two are absolutely mindblowingly epic.

Mass Effect is the only game i've maxed out achievement wise (I think I just did 14th playthrough the other day) but man those ally achievements were a BITCH. I assume you've played through as all the different classes each time, alternated good and evil, etc etc?

Last level of mass effect is so incredible though.

Flunkie

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Unfortunately. I'm worried about the ME2 PC release as well.

It's still a ways off though...maybe wait until you hear more about the PC version unless you're dying to play it now.
I am getting pretty anxious to start on my playthrough, if I'm going to get to a decent level before ME2 releases.

MrBen said:
Finally finished the game.

At first I thought it was over when
Saren blew his head off
, but the real final battle was a nice touch.

Something I didn't like though...

I just found out there's two more difficulty settings, BUT ONLY AFTER YOU COMPLETE THE GAME. I hate this kind of secret feature. Already I found Veteran somewhat easy. I would've loved to start on Hardcore on my first playthrough.

So true man. Standard difficulty was a breeze. I could have slept through it. My second through I am playing hardcore and I really adore the game so much more. It almost (but still not quite) requires you to use weapon mods (+% damage/etc), but you have entirely no need to use them on regular difficulty. I absolutely can't wait to try the hardest difficulty.

The ally achievements are ridiculous. I mean, really. Honestly. Truly. Piles of shit.

Hootie

elrechazao said:
Mass Effect is the only game i've maxed out achievement wise (I think I just did 14th playthrough the other day) but man those ally achievements were a BITCH. I assume you've played through as all the different classes each time, alternated good and evil, etc etc?

Last level of mass effect is so incredible though.

Well I've alternated between good and evil but I really haven't strayed to far from the typical Tank Soldier class. Using magic and stuff just isn't my kind of thing.

Hootie said:
Well I've alternated between good and evil but I really haven't strayed to far from the typical Tank Soldier class. Using magic and stuff just isn't my kind of thing.

I find it to be fairly fun as I'm playing a Sentinel right now. Just need to work on my recharge rate and it'll be a lot more fun.

Hootie said:

Oh man....magic? :( Dude, if you haven't thrown charging krogan off into space on the last chapter of the game, you haven't played it.

And you've never hacked a geth to go all nuts on its teammates?

Expand your horizons dude :D

Kureishima said:
So true man. Standard difficulty was a breeze. I could have slept through it. My second through I am playing hardcore and I really adore the game so much more. It almost (but still not quite) requires you to use weapon mods (+% damage/etc), but you have entirely no need to use them on regular difficulty. I absolutely can't wait to try the hardest difficulty.

The ally achievements are ridiculous. I mean, really. Honestly. Truly. Piles of shit.

Perhaps you should temper your excitement for Insane. Instead of difficult, it is absurdly frustrating and more or less mandates that you bring a max, or almost max character to it.

Paragon and Renegade are good and evil? I thought they were Lawful and Chaotic?

Every time I play I usually choose to be a Tech/Soldier. I just love deactivating people's shields and then shooting them in the face.

Mirimar

elrechazao said:
Oh man....magic? :( Dude, if you haven't thrown charging krogan off into space on the last chapter of the game, you haven't played it.

Krogans are immune to throw on Insane difficulty, amongst other things. Playing it on that right now...Juggernaughts seem to be immune to it as well on this difficulty. They both still charge right at you. The only thing that seems to work is Lift and Singularity.

lorddarkflare said:
Perhaps you should temper your excitement for Insane. Instead of difficult, it is absurdly frustrating and more or less mandates that you bring a max, or almost max character to it.

Reallly? My character is really vanilla in hardcore and it's fun. Sure, I die from here and there and my skills suck, but I'm having a huge blast everytime I get into a larger fight. I'm just hoping insane does the same but stronger.

Mirimar said:
Krogans are immune to throw on Insane difficulty, amongst other things. Playing it on that right now...Juggernaughts seem to be immune to it as well on this difficulty. They both still charge right at you. The only thing that seems to work is Lift and Singularity.
But stuff is just randomly immune to skills? eh. But yes, I love the throw and whatnot, feels good to have some people and force push them back and slam them on the ground when weak.

Hootie

elrechazao said:

Well during the part where
you're climbing the Citadel tower with almost no gravity
I've had Liara and other make people go flying away, but never myself.

It's not just Mass Effect. I've played Oblivion about 350 hours and I've yet to use magic/spells against an enemy. I just don't want to do it for some reason.

Same with Diablo 1 and 2. Played those for COUNTLESS hours and always used either a Barbarian or Paladin.

Hootie said:

It's not just Mass Effect. I've played Oblivion about 350 hours and I've yet to use magic/spells against an enemy. I just don't want to do it for some reason.

Magic can sometimes be boring in games, I truly understand where you're coming from.

Mirimar said:

I misspoke, as it is lift that sends them flying into the void, but yes.

Speaking of insane, anyone else wear their unlocked gamerpic from the insane playthrough as a badge of pride? I get more questions about that that anything when I meet random people on xbl.

Kureishima said:
Magic can sometimes be boring in games, I truly understand where you're coming from.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but slashing with swords/pulling a trigger isn't exactly lighting up my creative juices either after the hours roll by.

Flunkie

Banned
elrechazao said:
I misspoke, as it is lift that sends them flying into the void, but yes.

Speaking of insane, anyone else wear their unlocked gamerpic from the insane playthrough as a badge of pride? I get more questions about that that anything when I meet random people on xbl.
What's it look like?

Ponti

Flunkie said:
What's it look like?

It's the N7 logo. Same as the LE gamerpic, except that one has a blue background.

The hardcore completion pic of
Sovereign possessed Saren
is much better imo, I usually end up using it more than the N7.

Hootie said:

Same with Diablo 1 and 2. Played those for COUNTLESS hours and always used either a Barbarian or Paladin.

I mostly think of myself as a melee/soldier character player (Warrior and Assassin in Diablo), too, but my first job in FFXI was Black Mage, and now I also play a Mage in WoW. My Mass Effect character currently is an Infiltrator. In Oblivion I mostly stuck with swords and heavy armor, save for the character I took through the mage's guild.

Mixing it up is fun, too.

Well shit, I'm ready to give up on this damn ally achievemnet and just continue on with the game.

10 times? Insane. Is there something I'm missing, or did you just spend a hundred hours on it?

Sai

Probably, can't say I was counting. :lol

Played through so many times so I could max out my Soldier and Infiltrator's Paragon and Renegade, without wasting any talent points... Never did finish up my Infiltrator's Renegade, doubt it'll actually matter for ME2 though.

X Button = <3

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ponti said:
It's the N7 logo. Same as the LE gamerpic, except that one has a blue background.

Haha, yeah. I've been using it until I get something better. :lol

Asmodai

Banned
Kureishima said:
Well shit, I'm ready to give up on this damn ally achievemnet and just continue on with the game.

10 times? Insane. Is there something I'm missing, or did you just spend a hundred hours on it?

Hell, I only played it 3 times, and my played time count is 48 hours or something.

And my 3 playthroughs were all as the same character, so I breezed through everything the 2nd and 3rd times.

Mindlog

Ponti said:

:lol

I've beat every difficulty several times and I had no idea there were other gamer pics.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
MotherFan said:
Any news on the DLC that is supposed to be coming before ME2 releases?

There was supposed to be an announcement a few weeks ago but that got canned. I wouldn't expect to hear anything until at least November IMO.

What is this supposed DLC coming?

Speaking of DLC, how is the DLC currently available for ME? Is the DLC any good? SHould I bother with the DLC? While on the topic of DLC, how many more times do you think I could plant DLC in this post?

goldenpp72

Kureishima said:

Speaking of DLC, how is the DLC currently available for ME? Is the DLC any good? SHould I bother with the DLC? While on the topic of DLC, how many more times do you think I could plant DLC in this post?

It's ok, not worth 5 bucks for the typical user, but, it's basically like.. the best sidequest in the game, but considering all that was there, it's nothing too special.

Kureishima said:

The DLC for ME actually went down in price IIRC. It's actually a really fun mission and has a good decision at the end.

TheYanger

Flunkie said:
I am getting pretty anxious to start on my playthrough, if I'm going to get to a decent level before ME2 releases.

If I'm not mistaken it was confirmed that ME1->ME2 conversion is only going to take your decisions in-game into account, but that our levels would be stripped, skills, you could even change your appearance or class, etc. They're not putting New Game + into ME2 precisely to avoid dealing with converting VASTLY differently powered characters into ME3. So, just play through it once and make the decisions you want to live with and that should be sufficient. any class, any skills, any level.

Chinner

Banned
TheYanger said:
If I'm not mistaken it was confirmed that ME1->ME2 conversion is only going to take your decisions in-game into account, but that our levels would be stripped, skills, you could even change your appearance or class, etc. They're not putting New Game + into ME2 precisely to avoid dealing with converting VASTLY differently powered characters into ME3. So, just play through it once and make the decisions you want to live with and that should be sufficient. any class, any skills, any level.
Indeed, it doesn't matter. However, apparently your character does get some benefits and perks. Also, it fucking sucks that they've taken out New Game +.

TheYanger said:

Hmm , if all my plays are with the same character.. the last one will count?

I made some decisons in my 3rd that I want to change, so Ill be doing a fourth.

Only my final decisions will count?

Malio

I just started playing this yesterday. (I know, I know)

Probably only able to put 4 hours per week into it. Wonder if I can complete it before Mass Effect 2 comes out. :D

I'm playing Soldier class and just finished Eden Prime. I'm at the Citadel place. Any helpful hints/tips for newbs?

Malio said:
I just started playing this yesterday. (I know, I know)

Probably only able to put 4 hours per week into it. Wonder if I can complete it before Mass Effect 2 comes out. :D
Don't worry, Mass Effect isn't a very long game. Especially if you skip side quests.

I'm actually playing through the game slowly being evil. That way I have a good and Evil save file to choose from.

Firestorm

I finished the game last night. something between 13 and 14 hours of playtime at around LV37. I got the Paragon achievement on the very last decision of the game :lol If i picked the other option I wouldn't have got it! Was 21,000 credits away from the Rich achievement and I missed one entry at the beginning of the game so no Scholar either =(

It was interesting enough after the initial phase. The beginning was kinda boring. I really, really wish we could carry over our file to a different version of ME2 because this game had HORRIBLE technical issues. Ugh. I would love to play ME2 on PC with my 360 file.

Top Bottom