• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Mindlog

I had a Scram/Scram/HE SR for my infiltrator originally, but on Insane the DPS seems too low. Haven't tried it with Rail VIIs.

On most of my other characters I just stick to Tung/Shred + Rail VII. I hate that you can't buy those mods at the end of the game. If you didn't get your fill of them level 30-40 you are fucked.

John said:
Lift's basically an advanced throw, right? I started off putting all my points into dialogue options, and mostly guns and shield after that.

Throw knocks an enemy to the floor and does damage, lift causes the enemy to float immobilized for a given period of time(unlike Stasis an enemy can be damaged during a lift).

Guys, why is infiltrator so awesome?

Destroying shields, disabling weapons, hacking shit, Sharp Shooter, and a Sniper Rifle. <3

So awesome.

Asmodai

Banned
Mindlog said:
I had a Scram/Scram/HE SR for my infiltrator originally, but on Insane the DPS seems too low. Haven't tried it with Rail VIIs.

On most of my other characters I just stick to Tung/Shred + Rail VII. I hate that you can't buy those mods at the end of the game. If you didn't get your fill of them level 30-40 you are fucked.

What about Scram Rail X? I have tons of those on my level 60 infiltrator.

The inflation thing in Mass Effect is even more hilarious than it is in most RPGs. My level 60 character has the max number of credits, "9999999". And yet main story quests offer to pay you the amazing sum of 500 credits!

If you can get super rich in a game, you should be able to buy something sweet with the money, like in Oblivion and Fable II and the like.

Mindlog

Asmodai said:
What about Scram Rail X? I have tons of those on my level 60 infiltrator.

The inflation thing in Mass Effect is even more hilarious than it is in most RPGs. My level 60 character has the max number of credits, "9999999". And yet main story quests offer to pay you the amazing sum of 500 credits!

If you can get super rich in a game, you should be able to buy something sweet with the money, like in Oblivion and Fable II and the like.

Yeah I was talking about Scram X. For anything below Hardcore it's an awesome AOE 1 shot 1 kill, but higher than that recharge rates and immunity mean that by the time the target gets back up it's charging at me.

Agreed I'd pay 1m easy to be able to order items. It's the only reason the DLC has any redeeming value to me. I can spend 200K to gamble for Wrex Geth armor. I would like to see Shredder/Tung/Rail EX included in the high-end gambling table.

Fimbulvetr said:
Guys, why is infiltrator so awesome?

Destroying shields, disabling weapons, hacking shit, Sharp Shooter, and a Sniper Rifle. <3

All of those are good.
+ Permanent Immunity.
+ Permanent Marksman!

-If you intend to play a character to level 60 you can still exploit Lorik Qui'in to max out your Charm/Intimidate without putting any points in either category :]
Only did that once to get full Renegade quickly. Wanted to see what would happen with full renegade and full paragon.

RBH

Apparently, you can get the Pinnacle Station DLC (PC version) for free:

How to get $5 off video games from EA Store

Enter the NCAA Football Big Score drawing (it's free) and get a coupon good for $5 off any video game at the EA Store. After discount, some downloadable games drop to $0, others start at $5. It's the best such deal we've seen this year. To get this deal:
1. Click here and enter your email address to get a cup code
2. After receiving the cup code, click here and fill out the short form
3. After entering, a unique $5 off code will be sent to your email address
4. Go to the EA Store, select a game and be sure to click the "Have a Promo Code, Click Here" link in your shopping cart to enter your code

A best bet is EA's Mass Effect: Pinnacle Station (pictured) for free after discount.

so 360 version is being shipped to me today, I should receive it in a few days. Never played a bioware game before, no KOTOR or Jade Empire. So I saw that you can choose between 3 job classes at the beginning of the game? Any recommendations as to which to choose? I'm thinking to choose the shooter class, but I'm worried I'll end up shortchanging my experience

Lime

I got the Coupon code, but the EA Store seems only applicable for US customers. I can't seem to browse the store with hidemyass, so if anyone wants a free code, just PM me.

edit: code's been taken

Mindlog

ExtraKr1spy said:
for the people with the DLC are the weapons worth it? better, worse, or equal to Spectre X weapons?

There's a slightly better version of the Geth Rifle, but there are no weapons better than Spectre X.

Gryphter said:
so 360 version is being shipped to me today, I should receive it in a few days. Never played a bioware game before, no KOTOR or Jade Empire. So I saw that you can choose between 3 job classes at the beginning of the game? Any recommendations as to which to choose? I'm thinking to choose the shooter class, but I'm worried I'll end up shortchanging my experience

Don't worry. No matter what you choose you won't be building a perfect character :] You don't have access to achievement bonuses at the beginning. Just have fun. There are a lot of systems to learn so maybe a soldier is the easiest to start out as. Once you get the hang of it any of your shortcomings can be overcome with your ally choices.

After all this time with a bunch of 'gold standard' characters I'm going back to playing with my original Infiltrator. I've turned the difficulty back down to veteran while I work on my High Explosive Pistol skills :lol

VVV A decent way to pick a class is to figure out your favorite weapon. If it's the pistol then Infiltrator is a great class. The sniper rifle is an important tool, but the pistol will be equally used. Vanguard was nice too. My Vanguard primarily used the shotgun, great weapon and carnage is awesome.

I recently started my second playthrough, I plan to unlock insanity and do a run on it right before ME2. I've just gotten past Eden Prime with a soldier (first playthrough was as a renegade adept), but skimming through this thread I am tempted to start with another (hybrid) class. Any recommendations on mixed classes? Infiltrator sounds rather appealing.

Thanks in advance.

Ninja edit: Gah! Just saw the post above me. :p

John

Just finished the main game. Nothing like a perfectly-balanced final boss battle, they nailed that.

BUT now I'm in the situation where all my saves with this character are at the end of the game. Was there a point of no return I should've kept a save at? Is there any way to continue? :(

Ramenman

Errr wait, isn't the "patch" part of the update supposed to download automatically (or at least be downloadable for free) ?

I launched ME again today and expected to be prompted with a "update or you'll be disconnected from Xbox Live", but nothing. Just a "new DLC is available, go to XBL Games Market" message on the bottom of the main menu screen.

I also checked my Xbox's memory, and there's nothing but game saves for Mass Effect, so nothing has been downloaded without me noticing.

Problem is, the only thing I see in the DLC market for Mass Effect is the 400 points Pinnacle Station, and I don't want to buy it, I just want the patch that's supposed to fix the self-shadowing and some other stuff.

Ramenman said:
Errr wait, isn't the "patch" part of the update supposed to download automatically (or at least be downloadable for free) ?

I launched ME again today and expected to be prompted with a "update or you'll be disconnected from Xbox Live", but nothing. Just a "new DLC is available, go to XBL Games Market" message on the bottom of the main menu screen.

I also checked my Xbox's memory, and there's nothing but game saves for Mass Effect, so nothing has been downloaded without me noticing.

Problem is, the only thing I see in the DLC market for Mass Effect is the 400 points Pinnacle Station, and I don't want to buy it, I just want the patch that's supposed to fix the self-shadowing and some other stuff.

The patch is for the PC version.

First playthrough came at about 18hours with a paragon vanguard.

Overall I think it's a great game with ALOT of issues. About halfway through, I really realized just how empty the vast majority of the sidequests are and proceeded to finished the story.
The last bits are excellent and mostly make up for the meh middle section ...and yeah, you also realize how short the campaign really is. This doesn't bother though as I hate games that overstay their welcome.

Don't know yet if I wanna do a another playthrough or not.

Anyhow, now I'm completely hyped for ME2!

Lime

I'm thinking of selling my limited edition lithograph (mine is # 97 out of 100) I bought back in 2007. It's painted and signed by Sung Kim. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me and give me an offer.

This is the picture:
product_me_litho_01_680x510.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
My Steam version no longer has the BDTS sidequest. Is anyone else having this problem with the PC version?

JoeFu

Banned
I bought this game about a week ago and have put 20 hours in the game. I think I'm headed to Ilos, but I 'm going to try and knock out the side quests. The game is amazing and I can't wait for the sequel!

And I would check the DLC content, but I have no idea how to access it. I bought it off steam too.

Kydd BlaZe

I bought the Pinnacle Station DLC the day it came out, but I still have yet to get to it. I want to get one last complete Mass Effect run (to set everything up for the sequel), but I've beaten the game so many times, I just cannot stomach another playthrough =(

Sanchito

I have two main saves for my one and only play through. One of them is right before the final battle and the other I used to play the DLC that came out. My question is, are the things you do in the DLC going to matter in the second game? I want to play through it again, but I doubt I'll have time to get to it with the other games I have in my pile of shame.

GAAAAHHH. I have no idea what the hell im doing wrong in the HUNT mission. Im on insanity and when i did the subterranean level, i went to 200 kills and 6 minutes on the clock before i decided to just kill myself out of frustration of not knowing when it would end. The volcano level has been torture. I can barely reach 30 kills before i run out of time on all my attempts. How the fuck did i do one so easily and cant complete another? ANy tips?

Peff

Don't worry, it's like that for everyone :lol . I did it by going to the big pillar area which is usually in front of your spawn point. In this place you can kill all the enemies that spawn to your right and the ones that are in front of you should keep coming steadily. The actual amount of enemies respawning seems to be pretty random, and sometimes you'll get more than enough while some other times you'll barely kill 30.

EDIT: The DLC doesn't really affect your second playthrough. You keep the weapons and armor you get but other than you just do them again a second time. Of course, it's good to do them now because you'll get quite a bit of extra experience, plus they both count towards the ally achievements.

Barrett2

Funny to see this thread, I LITERALLY just started playing this for the first time about 30 minutes ago. Game is fuggin' awesome so far.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
lawblob said:
Funny to see this thread, I LITERALLY just started playing this for the first time about 30 minutes ago. Game is fuggin' awesome so far.

It gets fuggin' awesomer

Pankaks said:
It gets fuggin' awesomer

Yeah, I just started replaying it on the 360, and I've been discovering new missions and tons of stuff of great sidequests.

One thing I like about the Renegade option is it isn't Dark Side Evil, a lot of times its just pure badass action hero stuff, ie oh screw your interview bitch PUNCH :lol I nearly started crying from laughing so hard.

clip

Seems the more recent iteration of Nvidia drivers have screwed up the ability to force AA, anyone know of a work-around?

Red

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Yeah, I just started replaying it on the 360, and I've been discovering new missions and tons of stuff of great sidequests.

One thing I like about the Renegade option is it isn't Dark Side Evil, a lot of times its just pure badass action hero stuff, ie oh screw your interview bitch PUNCH :lol I nearly started crying from laughing so hard.
It is hilarious. I think it's unintentionally funny. I'm playing renegade as a male Shepard right now, and I'm mercilessly shooting people left and right and sound like I'm so bored whenever I open my mouth :lol

mileS

Yea I'm replaying as a female renegade right now. Surprised at how good the female voice actor is.

Renegade is fun. I'm most likely going to stay that path for Mass Effect 2. .

I fired this up for the first time over the weekend, love it! I had crazy trouble with Benezia, but apparently that's common.

So how do I know what planets to go to? There's like 30 of them but only a few are for story missions. Should I just go randomly and explore? Or is it more like check my missions/assignments and see if there's a reason to go to a particular planet? So far I've only gone to planets for the main quest and I think I'm near the end already, I just
saved Ashley so Kaiden could set off the nuke :*(

WEGGLES

Is there some unwritten order to do things in this game?

'Cause I'm having WAY too much trouble with the Matriarch Benezia fight on Noveria.

I had 4 places marked on the Galaxy map. Some asteroid, Ferros, Noveria and some Dig Site.

I, for no real reason, went to noveria and I'm at the fight with Matriarch Benezia and it's brutally unfair.

Am I under leveled or something?
All that ever happens is we walk in, watch the FUCKING UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENE I GET IT YOU CAN TURN YOUR ARM PURPLE AND SUMMON DUDES FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...

And then I get knocked over, an asari comes up behind us and kills me.

Over and over and over.

I don't know what to do... but i don't want to leave and go back.......

Vlodril

all the times i ve played it i went first to get liara so the fight is easier. maybe try wrex?
bionics really help in that fight. or you could try some add ons to armor that give you bonus to not getting knocked down?

WEGGLES

Vlodril said:
all the times i ve played it i went first to get liara so the fight is easier. maybe try wrex?
bionics really help in that fight. or you could try some add ons to armor that give you bonus to not getting knocked down?
My party is me, Wrex and Garrus.

Problem is we get rushed instantly and I die before I stand up. The cover system is so shit that I can't.... take cover and it doesn't help that the cover is also flying and people come from both sides and the matriarch is attacking from above.

Vlodril

hm i think there is a structure just ahead that could block her attacks perhaps? just try to take a couple of steps right.

WEGGLES

I'll have to load up an old save file before the point of no return and explore a bit.

I'm bad with save files... so that's like 5 hours back.

Xapati

I'll have to load up an old save file before the point of no return and explore a bit.

I'm bad with save files... so that's like 5 hours back.

Don't bother, the sidequests and the exploring part are awful. Every one of them degenerats into driving around in the Mako on barren planets.

Btw. anyone else annoyed by the fact that playing as a renegade you are forced to be xenophobic?

Woffls

GOD. DAMMIT.

I spent 20 hours on my latest playthrough to get the Asari Squad Ally achievement, and after doing pretty much everything in the game (all assignments, missions, keepers, materials, matriarch writings, artifacts, salarian tags etc) I still didn't get the achievement, despite going straight to the Artemis Tau cluster to get Liara as soon as I could. Luckily I saved before Virmire so I can still do anything that's left over, but I don't think there is anything :( Is there some stupid thing preventing me getting this, like I can't do ANY missions before I get Liara?

Also, does my character need to cast AI Hacking, Neural Shock or Singularity for it to count towards the achievement? Or can I just get a squad member to cast them? (Cast? wtf lol)

edit
@Weggles: Matriarch Benezia is an absolute BITCH on the first playthrough. It made me rage quit the game for like a week. The absolute best thing you can do is have a biotic squad who can stick half of them in stasis and use throw/lift/singularity to mess up a group of them. Going all out with guns just doesn't get it done, especially with a low level team.

Woffls said:
GOD. DAMMIT.

I spent 20 hours on my latest playthrough to get the Asari Squad Ally achievement, and after doing pretty much everything in the game (all assignments, missions, keepers, materials, matriarch writings, artifacts, salarian tags etc) I still didn't get the achievement, despite going straight to the Artemis Tau cluster to get Liara as soon as I could. Luckily I saved before Virmire so I can still do anything that's left over, but I don't think there is anything :( Is there some stupid thing preventing me getting this, like I can't do ANY missions before I get Liara?

Did you do any sidequest in the citadel before you get liara? that counts too at makes it harder to get any ally achivement if you don't have the ally of course, I got the krogan aquad achivement after Virmire so try to do all the possible sidequest you can and try doing Virmire...

Also, does my character need to cast AI Hacking, Neural Shock or Singularity for it to count towards the achievement? Or can I just get a squad member to cast them? (Cast? wtf lol)

your character need to use the habilities to get the achivements,....sadly :(, I have to do 2 more playthroughs because of that...

edgefusion

So I just completed Mass Effect last night, epic ending. Loved the game from beginning to end and am now super hyped for Mass Effect 2. One question though, how much save data will carry over from ME1 to ME2? For example, renegade/paragon points and love interests? Any chance of BioWare allowing gay relationships for Shepherd?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
edgefusion said:
Any chance of BioWare allowing gay relationships for Shepherd?

Good question, but I doubt it. It is kind of funny that female Shepard can have a (sort of) lesbian romance but gay male Shepard is out of the question. I guess we're OK with sexy girl on girl action but we're not ready for gay male romance in a game. Maybe it could happen, though, male characters could fuck Zevran in Dragon Age, but that was more of a flirtatious than romantic deal.

Woffls

Ugh, I've done 53 assignments and 18 missions, all with Liara in my squad. I got to her as soon as possible on Therum, and have used her and Kaiden throughout the game. I STILL don't get the Ally achievement.

My missions are listed in chronological order as follows:
Prologue: Find the beacon
Citadel: Expose Saren
Citadel: Garrus
Citadel: Wrex
Feros: Go to feros
Noveria: go to Noveria
Find Liara T'Soni

I MIGHT have spoken to Mr Bhatia before going there, but that would be all. This achievement is really frustrating me, as I want it out of the way in time for Mass Effect 2, and I need to do my Insanity playthrough before then :(

Zzoram

I hope they fix the Ally achievements or don't have them in Mass Effect 2 because they are so frustrating. At least give an indicator on how complete you are with that ally, so we have an idea of what's going on.

Zzoram

Snuggler said:
Good question, but I doubt it. It is kind of funny that female Shepard can have a (sort of) lesbian romance but gay male Shepard is out of the question. I guess we're OK with sexy girl on girl action but we're not ready for gay male romance in a game. Maybe it could happen, though, male characters could fuck Zevran in Dragon Age, but that was more of a flirtatious than romantic deal.

Dragon Age was a PC game. Mass Effect is an Xbox game. That's probably why there are no gay males in Mass Effect.

Uncle

Zzoram said:
Dragon Age was a PC game. Mass Effect is an Xbox game. That's probably why there are no gay males in Mass Effect.

There were gay (or at least bi) males in Jade Empire and that was an Xbox game.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm thinking about buying ME for the PC, especially if steam has a sale on it, can anyone tell me if there are a good number of mods available for it?

Alucrid said:
I'm thinking about buying ME for the PC, especially if steam has a sale on it, can anyone tell me if there are a good number of mods available for it?

None, that I am aware of.

It is better than the 360 version, in gameplay, visuals and performance. However it does have it's own set of bugs, but nothing too bad.

Luckily ME2 PC will be handled in house by Bioware teams this time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Himuro said:
It's been a while since I played ME on 360, and even then, I played the game on an sdtv at the time, but did it really look this bad or is the pc that bad of a port?

It looked that bad. SDTV helps to hide poor texturing on NPCs like that example.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I installed and ran my new copy of ME on the PC, no gamepad support? Is this 2002? As long as it runs smooth in 1080P, the 360 version was a slide show in 720P.

Top Bottom