• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

kai3345

Banned
theRizzle said:
Is it just me, or are the achievements for the 360 version so broken?

I played through the game using only Ashley and Wrex, except for
Virmire when you have to lose Ashley briefly
and at the end I only got the achievement for having Ashley in my party for most of the game. I also played on Hardcore and never changed the difficulty once, yet I didn't get the achievement for that either. Not a huge deal, it's just a little frustrating.

Also, do I have to manually save my game once it goes back to the title screen after the credits in order to have a NG+ or whatever to load?
you have to do more than just the main quest, you have to do side missions and stuff for the later characters.

Zen

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Am I the only one disappointed by how this game has pretty much gotten a free ride, review wise? I mean, the game is still pretty awesome but jesus christ I can't remember the last game I played that had fucking v-sync issues. I'd be alot less disappointed if I knew going in.

I guess the trade off of all the technical issues (and boy does the game have technical issues on the 360) is that it ends up looking good. I don't know how much these issues should effect the scores, seeing as ME isn't an action or twitch based game so much, but I do find people whom refuse to acknowledge how humorously shoddy the performance is to be a little out to lunch.

DarkJC

kai3345 said:
you have to do more than just the main quest, you have to do side missions and stuff for the later characters.

Yeah to get the achievement with any of the people other than the ones you start with you really need to do a vast majority of the side quests.

theRizzle said:
Is it just me, or are the achievements for the 360 version so broken?

I played through the game using only Ashley and Wrex, except for
Virmire when you have to lose Ashley briefly
and at the end I only got the achievement for having Ashley in my party for most of the game. I also played on Hardcore and never changed the difficulty once, yet I didn't get the achievement for that either. Not a huge deal, it's just a little frustrating.

Also, do I have to manually save my game once it goes back to the title screen after the credits in order to have a NG+ or whatever to load?

They arent broken, you have to do the side missions, too. If you do all of the side missions before noveria that is possible, usually the ally achievements will unlock during the noveria mission except for liara which unlocked for me when I got to citadel during the
normandy lockdown
. Keep in mind, you dont even actually have to do the missions, you can simply start the mission and then end it by telling the person you dont want to do it. As long as the assignment says complete in your assignment list, it was done. Also when you go to the other planets for side missions, dont even bother to mine or decrypt anything, just go directly to the mission site.

theRizzle

DarkJC said:
Yeah to get the achievement with any of the people other than the ones you start with you really need to do a vast majority of the side quests.

I thought I had actually done ALL of the side quests. I hit 50 before I even got to Virmire, so I didn't think there was much point in scanning planets trying to find metals and stuff. I guess because I didn't finish those quests, I didn't get the achievement for Wrex.

one thing that had me confused at the end of this game was the renegade choice to set up an all human council. how is that meant to work exactly? the back story and codex entries pretty firmly establish that the human fleet and military are significantly smaller than the turian and asari fleets, and the citadel fleet that was destroyed was just one of many turian/asari/salarian fleets scattered throughout space. How are the humans expected to take complete control of the council when they are militarily outnumbered by races that have been using the citadel for far, far longer.

It seems fairly obvious that they cant, but reading other message boards, people are acting like the humans are the only race left with a working fleet so am i missing something? :S

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Sir Hamish said:
one thing that had me confused at the end of this game was the renegade choice to set up an all human council. how is that meant to work exactly? the back story and codex entries pretty firmly establish that the human fleet and military are significantly smaller than the turian and asari fleets, and the citadel fleet that was destroyed was just one of many turian/asari/salarian fleets scattered throughout space. How are the humans expected to take complete control of the council when they are militarily outnumbered by races that have been using the citadel for far, far longer.

It seems fairly obvious that they cant, but reading other message boards, people are acting like the humans are the only race left with a working fleet so am i missing something? :S

I might be wrong but I think I remember Udina saying something like, "The other species are scared, they've never faced anything like this before and humanity needs to lead them" or something along those lines.

Anso

DrAndonuts said:
Didn't really see this posted in the thread, so I'll go ahead and add this. I typed up this list of the differences between the Platinum Hits bonus disc, Limited Edition bonus disc, and Preorder bonus disc. If it says "exclusive", that means that content isn't shared with any other disc, although it may or may not be on the Marketplace:

This is a good post. Way to go! Also, I don't think the Platinum Hits content is the same as the Classics in PAL-land.. guess we didn't get that hot bonus disc? Confirm someone?

Also, playing through this for the first time in anticipation for ME2. It's good.

RS4-

I just realized that I was never asked about the achievement bonuses when I started a second go around with my character.

Only change I've noticed is that I can buy the Spectre stuff from the Normandy, other than that... nothing. I have things like the pistol/shotgun achievements, along with lift and warp.

I thought I could pick something, like the bonus XP stuff. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding how it works in ng+

RS4- said:
I just realized that I was never asked about the achievement bonuses when I started a second go around with my character.

Only change I've noticed is that I can buy the Spectre stuff from the Normandy, other than that... nothing. I have things like the pistol/shotgun achievements, along with lift and warp.

I thought I could pick something, like the bonus XP stuff. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding how it works in ng+

You can add abilities to new characters. Well, one ability, that you can choose from whatever achievements you got.

RS4-

gregor7777 said:
You can add abilities to new characters. Well, one ability, that you can choose from whatever achievements you got.

Ah alright, so new careers only, not a continued one, if I'm understanding this correctly :lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I bought Mass Effect a while ago and I'm just getting to it. My friend has the bonus disc with the DLC mission on it. How exactly does that work? Do I install the DLC from that disc or do I have to have that disc in while I'm playing the DLC? How does that affect achievements and mission %? I'm not sure how it works since I don't know exactly how the DLC is accessed, whether in-game or via main menu.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm guessing the DLC is installed to the HD from the disk like the Bethesda stuff.
The DLC makes getting some of the achievements easier because you have more missions to complete.

Bought the Pinnacle DLC since it was on sale... and wow, what a waste of time. Oh well, easy achievements or something... but it was nice to see my femShep again. Next week can't come soon enough. :)

Gattsu25

Banned
Trying to recreate my original character from my very first playthrough as my old save is on a different 360 under a different gamertag. Need to beat this before ME2 drops

2vcgnkm.jpg

sq6mir.jpg

27y0nj7.jpg

2nvqe4y.jpg

xqmiib.jpg

k0pth1.jpg

nl7bip.jpg

Quick question...

So I just beat the game again on Hardcore making it to level 59. I want to hit level 60 and ultimately beat the game on Insanity. If I start my Insanity play through will I have to beat the game again before I load up ME2 or will ME2 just be able to grab the choices I made during my Hardcore play through?

Any bit of help would be appreciated. And fuck this game is super good.

Anso

sevenchaos said:
Quick question...

So I just beat the game again on Hardcore making it to level 59. I want to hit level 60 and ultimately beat the game on Insanity. If I start my Insanity play through will I have to beat the game again before I load up ME2 or will ME2 just be able to grab the choices I made during my Hardcore play through?

Any bit of help would be appreciated. And fuck this game is super good.

I was hoping at least that you would get to pick the character you wanted to base your ME2 playthrough on.

Anyone playing Mass Effect 1 tonight and wants to get in a party or something, hit me up, I should be playing for couple of hours atleast. I'm kinda bored playing by myself Most of my friends have work tomorrow :(

Gamertag: ProGamer720

vocab

I can't get ME to launch on windows 7 64 bit. As soon as I launch, I get an error saying APPCRASH, with a bunch of other error codes. I tried running in administrator, but nothing is working. Any thoughts?

Weenerz

Banned
Just picked this up again on 360 from the Games on Demand thing, it's cheaper than what GameStop is charging (They went from $9.99 used to $13 to $17 to $24 in a week), so I need to rush through it before ME2 hits.

Loving this so far, only a few hours in but a few issues annoy me, the auto saves are too few and far between, I'm constantly thinking if I should be manually saving. Also it froze my 360 last night in Noveria and I hadn't saved in 15 mins. Not a big deal but I hate re-doing the same dialogue.

itxaka

Defeatist
Kagari said:
I think I borked my game... can't seem to get back onto the Normandy from being on a planet... PC version btw.
Have you tried checking the map? Sometimes you can press x from the map to get back to the normandy. 360 versión thougth

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
itxaka said:
Have you tried checking the map? Sometimes you can press x from the map to get back to the normandy. 360 versión thougth

Doesn't work from the map. The PC control to get back to the ship is N but it's not working... lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kagari said:
Doesn't work from the map. The PC control to get back to the ship is N but it's not working... lol.

You can also press M to bring up the map and click the "Return to Normandy" button at the bottom. You're in the Mako, right?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
EatChildren said:
You can also press M to bring up the map and click the "Return to Normandy" button at the bottom. You're in the Mako, right?

Yeah... I don't see that option on the map though...

PEZIX

Banned
Decided to beat ME1 this weekend took me long enough considering ive had it since launch :lol .. only took me 10hrs and 21min, thought the main story would be longer? o well... stoked for ME2 fo sho!

Alien love def happenin

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kagari said:
On Therum. I took a screenshot:

You cant return to the Normany on a main quest planet.

Kagari said:
Oh :lol :lol Now I feel really dumb.
Thanks.
Mako controls are really terrible though. I really hate them.

The Mako is very figidity on the PC. Quick taps to turn are best. if you hold the key, you end up making a full left or right almost immediately.

So, i finally completed Mass Effect after trying about 5 times (and failing) to get into it. Glad i did, as i did find i enjoyed it alot in the end, mainly when i actually got guns/mods that made the enemies alot less bullet-spongey. Think it took me about 14 hours in total (did a few side quests, but not many) and was level 37 at the end. Some of the final places you visit are amazing visually, such as the
prothean cryo-chambers, that planet with the sky high towers and the earth like tropical planet
. I played as the default Shepard, so i didnt get those fancy biotics i kept hearing about, only stuff that keeps me alive and lets me keep up my bullet spongy shooting :lol Worth another bash as a biotic ?

I dont think i ever spent a penny in any of the shops either, i was hoarding far too much loot from everything i had killed to care :lol

Anyway, now i finally feel ready for ME2, and ive heard the combat is much better there, thank god, because i think that was the main reason it took me so long to get into the 1st one.

Also
green goblin saren :lol Too busy laughing for that final bit to seem epic :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ugh, seeing the Mass Effect 2 thread makes me want to get back into Mass Effect 1 and finish the achievements/ally achievements I have left to complete. But then I remember that modern Bioware RPGs are (at least the ones I've played) fucking barren in terms of worlds and side-quests. And that bores me to tears. The dialog takes forever to get through and while it's nice and engrossing there isn't much there.

That was my problem with Mass Effect 1 (and my attempts to replay it) the last half gets really good but it goes by really fast. The half is talk/talk/talk and useless boring sidequests that don't benefit you much. :|

nyong

Banned
TheSeks said:
Ugh, seeing the Mass Effect 2 thread makes me want to get back into Mass Effect 1 and finish the achievements/ally achievements I have left to complete.

Is there any particular reason to get all of the achievements on the PC version? If you have them all unlocked, does it carry over something into ME2?

stupei

TheSeks said:
Ugh, seeing the Mass Effect 2 thread makes me want to get back into Mass Effect 1 and finish the achievements/ally achievements I have left to complete. But then I remember that modern Bioware RPGs are (at least the ones I've played) fucking barren in terms of worlds and side-quests. And that bores me to tears. The dialog takes forever to get through and while it's nice and engrossing there isn't much there.

That was my problem with Mass Effect 1 (and my attempts to replay it) the last half gets really good but it goes by really fast. The half is talk/talk/talk and useless boring sidequests that don't benefit you much. :|

If it helps at all, Mass Effect 2 improves the conversation to combat ratio and pacing by a lot and every sidequest planet has its own look with many of them resulting in new combat skills. So... maybe just skip struggling back through ME1 if those are the things that bothered you and go ahead with ME2 when you decide to buy it? No need to force yourself to play the game again if you're not going to enjoy it, that'll just sour your experience of the series further and there's a perfectly good alternative waiting for you.

HK-47 said:

Wrex.

Whoo just beat it. Installing ME2 right now. Took one week to knock out 30 hours... Friggin found out my save was lost a day before ME2 came out. Glad I went through it though. Finally got completionist, and Tali/Wrex achieves. And level 50! The double Paragon ending is so boring. All in all, I hope the Mako rots in hell. I thought it was cool the first two times I played through this. Not this time. Also I have no idea how ME2 handles it, but loot is flat out terrible in this game. It serves absolutely no purpose till the last 10% of the game when you get upgrades that actually do something. I actually stopped looting chests because there was no fuckin point.

Hope you get to edit your character before loading it in ME2... Mine has a huge bulge on the side of the head that I didn't notice till talking to the alliance general dude, and then it was all I could look at.

Just did the "I Remember Me" sidequest. Wow. That was some of the most intense few minutes of my gaming life. I love what Bioware was able to do with the conversation system - creating a fleshed-out world that I'm able to affect. There are other things I'm liking about this game - the RPG mechanics (skills and weapons), exploring in the Mako - that make me concerned about Mass Effect 2, where I hear they're absent. But if the sequel builds sucessfully on the world-building of the first, it will be a winner in my book.

Finished my third playthrough last night, in anticipation of getting ME2 today (I didn't, fucking Amazon). Just have to say though, the ending Citadel sequence is still amazing in scope and just plain epic. That whole last hour of the game really makes up for any shortcomings that came before it, in my eyes.

Really can't wait to continue the story in ME2 now.

I got Mass Effect 1 off Steam and I was wondering how to get the DLC for it? The Downloadable Content section inside the game is empty. I tried doing a google search and found all sorts of ancient stuff on message boards and random mixed messages about what to do back when the DLC first came out and links to pages that aren't there any more. How do I go about getting and installing it?

Top Bottom