• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Dizzy-4U

I'm on my third playthrough and I completely forgot about something.

Where is
Kohoku
again? I need to ask him about
Banes
and I can't find him.

Dizzy-4U said:
I'm on my third playthrough and I completely forgot about something.

Where is
Kohoku
again? I need to ask him about
Banes
and I can't find him.

The first time you meet him is in the Citadel Tower, on the left at a terminal as you go up the steps to the Council themselves.

Dizzy-4U

Zeouterlimits said:
The first time you meet him is in the Citadel Tower, on the left at a terminal as you go up the steps to the Council themselves.
Well, he is not there. I think I did some quest that prevented me of doing that one =/

Booo! Two playthroughs without a guide and I just found the whole
Cerberus
sub-quest by accident =/. Looks like I'll be playing it a 4th time.

Jinjo

I bought the entire package; theme, N7 armor and the DLC. After playing the DLC I have to say that I'll probably get more worth out of my money from the damn avatar clothes and the dashboard theme than the DLC. Absolute atrocious. It is without a shadow of doubt the most boring DLC I have played. It felt like a chore the entire way through and there was not a single bit of story. I absolutely love Mass Effect. It's probably my favourite 360 game and I thought Bring Down the Sky was fun, but Pinnacle station is absolute crap. No other way to put it.

Hey, I just finished the game for the first time. Loved the ending, theratralical.

didnt like that the levels were kinda tunnelish. one beginning leading to an end. I also disliked the feeling, that you could imagine, how the level floated in the skybox, the game didnt give the right illusion of substancial worlds.

and: i hated how my shepard looked in the game. i hope i will be able to create a new one without starting with a different storyline.

the battlesystem is phenomenal. Have Liara pulling all enemies to the singularity, kaidan attacks with a force push and my shepard destroys them with the shotgun.
nice.

i was dissappointed by the second part of the final battle, my enemy barely moved. and when he tried to jump ord attack for the first time, i pushed back for the second time and destroyed bim because i planted a grenade unter him with advanced explosion.

heres a weird bug i encountered during the bossfight in the middle of the game:
jfk95h.jpg

i wasnt able to die, the enemies screamed "I WILL DESTROY YOU" but nothing happened. slowly the neck and the limbs of my character began to expand. weird. a little after that he died without being hit.

Rikyfree said:
Anyone know what weapons and armor you can get from the DLC by beating it?

Sure do!
The same armor and weapons you can get anywhere else in the game. It's the same old stuff, no new items have been added. At best you get access to a computer where you can spend 200000 credits (or a number close to that) for a random level 10 item which can be anything from colossus armor to a weapon upgrade that you probably have 20 of in your inventory already. Pretty much your $5 goes to a few new interiors, 3 combat maps, and some shitty (and in some cases broken) combat modes.

More direct answer: You get a gun (you choose the type) from a Turian, not sure if it's random or not, but whatever it is your specter gear is better. And access to the computer where you buy random equipment.

Dizzy-4U said:
Well, he is not there. I think I did some quest that prevented me of doing that one =/

Booo! Two playthroughs without a guide and I just found the whole
Cerberus
sub-quest by accident =/. Looks like I'll be playing it a 4th time.

kohoku gets kidnapped by cerberus, hence him not being on the citadel anymore. You should be able to find the planet where he's being held and still complete that line

Jinjo said:
I bought the entire package; theme, N7 armor and the DLC. After playing the DLC I have to say that I'll probably get more worth out of my money from the damn avatar clothes and the dashboard theme than the DLC. Absolute atrocious. It is without a shadow of doubt the most boring DLC I have played. It felt like a chore the entire way through and there was not a single bit of story. I absolutely love Mass Effect. It's probably my favourite 360 game and I thought Bring Down the Sky was fun, but Pinnacle station is absolute crap. No other way to put it.

No wonder they didn't bother advertising or trying to hype this...they just shat it out apparently.

Lime

Seriously, why did they even bother releasing this piece of shit? Not even the patch fixes what it claims it fixes.

Ludi said:
heres a weird bug i encountered during the bossfight in the middle of the game:
http://i29.tinypic.com/jfk95h.jpg
i wasnt able to die, the enemies screamed "I WILL DESTROY YOU" but nothing happened. slowly the neck and the limbs of my character began to expand. weird. a little after that he died without being hit.
Same thing happened to me:
r1y06p.jpg

And today I fell through the holodeck:
jkya09.jpg

That happened during my first playthrough. The limbs just kept expanding and I just let it go. I even took my girlfriend to work while it happened because I wanted to see how crazy it would be when I got back. I wasn't disappointed.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Pretty much your $5 goes to a few new interiors, 3 combat maps, and some shitty (and in some cases broken) combat modes.
As harsh as a summary as that is...as far as I can tell it's pretty much that in a nut shell, what a waste.

Has Bioware gone on record and explained exactly what kind of Mass Effect 1 save can be brought into Mass Effect 2? For example, my most recent save is when I hit Level 60 on some planet in the middle of the game. Do only "completed" game saves work? Decisions, dead party members, and alignment only count for your most recent playthrough with that character, right?

John

Got this for PC last week and I've been loving it. I might've burned myself out on it though, since I never play a single game for long but I went on a 9-hour spree on it the night I got it.

Is there any difference (besides graphics) between the two versions? A friend of mine has/had it on both, and he said he didn't like it at all on 360, but got obsessive over the PC port.

Also, did the 360 have the "film grain" visual setting? Because that's the most amazing thing I've ever seen in a game right there, it's like a PSP Vintage Warmer for video. Every game needs to have stuff like that in the future (I think Blueberry Garden had it, no?).

DuckRacer

a Master Ninja said:
Has Bioware gone on record and explained exactly what kind of Mass Effect 1 save can be brought into Mass Effect 2? For example, my most recent save is when I hit Level 60 on some planet in the middle of the game. Do only "completed" game saves work? Decisions, dead party members, and alignment only count for your most recent playthrough with that character, right?
When you complete a playthrough, it takes a "snapshot" of all your decisions of that playthrough. So when you load up Mass Effect 2, you'll see "John Shepard - lvl 45", blah blah lvl 55, blah blah lvl 60, and so on. You're not limited to your most recent playthrough's decisions.

Also, the new DLC is utter shit, especially when you consider they've been sitting on it for ages and it doesn't work for anyone with a platinum copy and BDtS installed from its bonus disc. It's pathetic how little effort was put into this.

John

gregor7777 said:
Inventory management is better on the PC, but not a lot better. Also, you can control your squadmates independently.

Inventory sounds like it's useful (I haven't played it on 360), but individual squadmate control seems useless since ally pathfinding is even worse than Saints Row 2's.

Erudite

MrTroubleMaker said:
they are fixing the DLC to work with the Steam version
http://meforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=691371&forum=125&sp=60

I wonder how long it's going to take

On the PC, some Steam users are receiving the following message when installing the DLC: "Mass Effect CD key not found. You must run the Steam version of Mass Effect at least once to have the CD key properly installed by Steam."

BioWare QA developer Jack Lamden said the PC error should be fixed today, with users only needing to re-download the DLC. The team is looking into the Platinum Hits issue, but Lamden offered no ETA on a solution.
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/60205

Mindlog

The gambling tables were released.

I'm tempted to start another full playthrough, but I know I will OCD lvl 30-40 trying to get tung/shred 7 damage mods. I really want an easier way to get that.

Flunkie

Banned
Lyphen said:
Turns out the DLC wasn't done by Bioware, but by Demiurge, the company who sloppily ported Mass Effect to the PC. They're also the ones telling Bioware that Garrus' face is too difficult to fix through a simple patch. I hope Bioware's QA team can find some way around it.

And I also hope Bioware never outsources to that company ever again.
The whole "Garrus face" issue is inexcusable. Seriously. It makes me not even want to buy any more BioWare games, even that's not humanly possible for me to do.

Holy crap at the shitstorm the latest DLC/PC patch is raising on the official Mass Effect forums. If Bioware was trying to muster up some good will going into the final stretch before ME2, they failed miserably with a good portion of the community.

Doesn't matter to me. It would take alot more to keep me from getting ME2 day 1.

ajim

Picked this game up last week, and after 40 hours of gameplay I finished today. Simply amazing. I didn't want it to end at all.

Bring on ME2!

Asmodai

Banned
Flunkie said:
The whole "Garrus face" issue is inexcusable. Seriously. It makes me not even want to buy any more BioWare games, even that's not humanly possible for me to do.

Definitely. More than a year after the PC version is out and they can't get the right LOD to display? What the hell? I've placed textures myself in PC games, and my modding knowledge is minimal. It's not rocket science.

That's the kind of thing that should be recognized months before launch and corrected, never mind left alone years after launch. That's one of the reasons I don't play PC games as much anymore, the developers don't seem to take them as seriously, letting bugs like this get through.

Dizzy-4U

elrechazao said:
kohoku gets kidnapped by cerberus, hence him not being on the citadel anymore. You should be able to find the planet where he's being held and still complete that line
Yeah, I just found him dead on a planet somewhere. Does he always die or does he live if I talk to him about Banes before he disappear?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
a Master Ninja said:

I dunno, I'm interested in finding this out too. I started a new game with my level 40+ to get through the two DLC drops and... well, I'm not sure if I'm going to make it all the way through again before ME2 drops :(

squicken

I've purchased the PC version and have a couple of questions for GAF.

Are there any absolutely vital teaks I should use? I've read the tweakguide, and it's great and tells me what does what. But what it doesn't tell me is what is most effective. I don't want to do a bunch of trial and error. I just want the few key tweaks and then off to play.

Also, by the time I play ME2, I'll have switched to Windows7. How do I get my saved game over? Just backup the directory? If I don't want to reinstall ME1, do I need to recreate the entire folder structure so that ME2 recognizes my save?

Lime

squicken said:
I've purchased the PC version and have a couple of questions for GAF.

Are there any absolutely vital teaks I should use? I've read the tweakguide, and it's great and tells me what does what. But what it doesn't tell me is what is most effective. I don't want to do a bunch of trial and error. I just want the few key tweaks and then off to play.

Also, by the time I play ME2, I'll have switched to Windows7. How do I get my saved game over? Just backup the directory? If I don't want to reinstall ME1, do I need to recreate the entire folder structure so that ME2 recognizes my save?

The tweak guide doesn't do any damage at all. Otherwise, just see what you find the most important stuff, and tweak those things.

You can find your savegame in your Vista folder. C:\Users\*username*\Documents\Bioware\. That's where your previous savegame was locatedd.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
:lol QA guy at Bioware sure as hell isn't sorry about the support and poor DLC. Paying for something and getting shat on is just part of being a fan.

[sarcasm]Here is your apology:

I'm sorry you feel you should never be disappointed. I'm sorry you live in a world where failure is not an option. I'm sorry that your standards and expectations have gotten so high and specific that there would be no possible way for us to meet them after all this time. I'm sorry you feel that the loss of five dollars is a world-shattering event. I'm sorry your investment into your entertainment didn't work out this time. I'm sorry we tied your baby to our shoes and kicked your puppy through the windows of a burning orphanage.

And finally, I'm sorry we didn't consult you before we released something, in order to ensure that you're not disappointed. Obviously, we must have done it on Mass Effect since you seem to have enjoyed that game immensely.
[/sarcasm]

Seriously, though, I get the disappointment, but not the melodrama. It's five bucks--I spent more than that on the Jimmy Buffett pack for Rock Band 2. Yeah, I've since regretted it, but I'm not demanding an apology from Harmonix, Microsoft, or Jimmy Buffett. I chose to buy it, and I ended up not liking it. There will be other tracks that I do enjoy playing, but until I actually buy them and try them out, I won't know for sure, no matter how much people talk about it.

P.S. The first part of this post was made possible by the Sarcasmodyne Grumpometron 4000zx.

(See link for more!)

Is the update worth the 400 points? I've played ME probably ~4 times total, so I'm a huge fan, but is the DLC any substantial offering to the universe or the fun? The previous one I had some issues with, mostly the lack of anything worthwhile to be contributed. Sure the Batarians were great, but I mean come on, they knew they were going to do this well before the game released... with the many in-game hints towards their existence. Kinda disappointed me that the meteor they had created, aside from the amazing skybox, was more of a cut and paste environment from the other environments.

Top Bottom