• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

lucius

So I am playing a second playthrough through also while playing Mass Effect2 and I still love ME1 just on 360 at Noveria around Peak 15 it becomes a technical mess at times, I still think it is an awesome game though. Enslaved technical problems bothered me more for some reason. Anyway if they ever remake the game years from now I would buy it, yeah there is the PC version but I hate PC gaming just not for me.

Z_Y

Just finished my second playthrough. The first time through I just did the main storyline...this time I hit up as many sidequests as I could plus the BDtS DLC. Man...did some of those repetitive warehouses and ships get old after awhile. Really took me out of the game at times. :-/ One sidequest I did enjoy though that wasn't a part of the main storyline...I kind of stumbled upon it:
It was in a cluster that seemed to appear after you get access to the Mu Relay. You have to clear out these two planets that have a little Rachni problem. My favorite was the standoff with the other Alliance soldiers taking on waves of Rachni...and the idea that Cerberus was behind all of it. Maybe I missed them the first time through...but don't remember any mentions of Cerberus before.

But the main storyline missions are sooooo good. Especially once you hit
Ilos and then back to the Citadel
. That sequence always makes me want to start up a new game+ right away. I was using a shotty with high explosive rounds and it was like carrying around a portable cannon. Pretty much ripping enemies apart in one hit. Loved it.

Question about achievements though...I was hoping to get a few that i didn't get. I didn't get the complete the majority of the game one. I must have passed on too many assignments. Oh well though...a man can only take so many repetitive warehouses and mines. I thought for sure I'd get the other though but I misread the fine print. I needed to complete the majority of the game with Garrus and Wrex but I read that as using them a majority of the time while completing the game. My bad. But in researching what constitutes the "majority" of the game...it looks like it is defined by completing X number of missions and Y number of assignments.

My question is this...is X and Y reset after every playthrough? My initial thought is yes but I'm not certain the weapon kill achievements reset as I got the shotty one pretty quickly in my second playthrough. It could be possible that I didn't hit Y number of assignments in both playthroughs ( I believe the number is 35). I'm not opposed to doing a 3rd playthrough at some point (need some paragon points) but I don't think I could go through some of those side missions again. :-/

Patryn

Z_Y said:
Just finished my second playthrough. The first time through I just did the main storyline...this time I hit up as many sidequests as I could plus the BDtS DLC. Man...did some of those repetitive warehouses and ships get old after awhile. Really took me out of the game at times. :-/ One sidequest I did enjoy though that wasn't a part of the main storyline...I kind of stumbled upon it:
It was in a cluster that seemed to appear after you get access to the Mu Relay. You have to clear out these two planets that have a little Rachni problem. My favorite was the standoff with the other Alliance soldiers taking on waves of Rachni...and the idea that Cerberus was behind all of it. Maybe I missed them the first time through...but don't remember any mentions of Cerberus before.

But the main storyline missions are sooooo good. Especially once you hit
Ilos and then back to the Citadel
. That sequence always makes me want to start up a new game+ right away. I was using a shotty with high explosive rounds and it was like carrying around a portable cannon. Pretty much ripping enemies apart in one hit. Loved it.

Question about achievements though...I was hoping to get a few that i didn't get. I didn't get the complete the majority of the game one. I must have passed on too many assignments. Oh well though...a man can only take so many repetitive warehouses and mines. I thought for sure I'd get the other though but I misread the fine print. I needed to complete the majority of the game with Garrus and Wrex but I read that as using them a majority of the time while completing the game. My bad. But in researching what constitutes the "majority" of the game...it looks like it is defined by completing X number of missions and Y number of assignments.

My question is this...is X and Y reset after every playthrough? My initial thought is yes but I'm not certain the weapon kill achievements reset as I got the shotty one pretty quickly in my second playthrough. It could be possible that I didn't hit Y number of assignments in both playthroughs ( I believe the number is 35). I'm not opposed to doing a 3rd playthrough at some point (need some paragon points) but I don't think I could go through some of those side missions again. :-/

Oh, you missed them. They show up a LOT in the side missions. I can think of at least five off the top of my head.

Z_Y

Patryn said:
Oh, you missed them. They show up a LOT in the side missions. I can think of at least five off the top of my head.

Oh...I remember a couple on my second playthrough...that one just stuck out more. I was just commenting that it rarely (if ever) comes up if you follow the main storyline.

Just googling around...I think my mind is blown a little.
The Asarian that is under control of the Thorian makes an appearance in ME2 if you let her live...I didn't though...lol :(
I wonder how many other things like this pop up? I'm excited to start up ME2 again soon.

Another funny thing in my second playthrough. I started down the path of
hooking up Liara
but in the end...I couldn't pull the trigger. Kind of grossed me out so I ended up
banging Ashley

tsigo

Playing through Insanity right now. I'm getting a little annoyed at dealing with enemies that have Immunity (their health bar turns white). Is there a good trick to dealing with them?

Soldier class, running with Liara and Tali full-time for the loyalty achievements. I currently have two Frictionless Material mods and Sledgehammer ammo on my assault rifle, and that lets me fire full-auto non-stop, but it just takes forever to kill these guys.

Sai

tsigo said:
Playing through Insanity right now. I'm getting a little annoyed at dealing with enemies that have Immunity (their health bar turns white). Is there a good trick to dealing with them?

Soldier class, running with Liara and Tali full-time for the loyalty achievements. I currently have two Frictionless Material mods and Sledgehammer ammo on my assault rifle, and that lets me fire full-auto non-stop, but it just takes forever to kill these guys.
Use Liara's Biotics, and Tali's Tech skills to isolate and disable them one at a time. For example, once you've got one pinned down after a Lift, or Throw, keep laying into them with those Sledgehammer Rounds until their Immunity runs out, then have Liara soften them up with Warp, and finish them off.

Patryn

Z_Y said:
Oh...I remember a couple on my second playthrough...that one just stuck out more. I was just commenting that it rarely (if ever) comes up if you follow the main storyline.

Just googling around...I think my mind is blown a little.
The Asarian that is under control of the Thorian makes an appearance in ME2 if you let her live...I didn't though...lol :(
I wonder how many other things like this pop up? I'm excited to start up ME2 again soon.

Another funny thing in my second playthrough. I started down the path of
hooking up Liara
but in the end...I couldn't pull the trigger. Kind of grossed me out so I ended up
banging Ashley

Yeah,
Cerberus exists only in the sidequests of ME1. But, given that they dominate the side quests in terms of numbers, it's almost a parallel main storyline of you discovering this evil, terrible organization that is torturing and killing countless people in the pursuit of power, and is responsible for numerous tragedies, possibly even some of your own.

And then you join them in ME2. Ugh.

garath

So, what are my chances of hitting level 60 by the time I finish my second playthrough? I have finished all the citadel sidequests from the first visit, Noveria, Feros and the mines to get Liara. I haven't done any of the other sidequests as of yet. I'm about 10k xp from level 56.

Hopeless? The xp needed per level is getting very very big now. I originally thought it wouldn't be a problem but those 120xp per kill on the regular guys are starting to look real small.

I'm on hardcore difficulty if it matters. Haven't really noticed a difference in xp.

I don't think I'll have the patience to play it through a third time before moving to ME2. It's been bought on steam and downloaded and ready to go since the Xmas sale. I really want to play it.

tsigo

garath said:
So, what are my chances of hitting level 60 by the time I finish my second playthrough? I have finished all the citadel sidequests from the first visit, Noveria, Feros and the mines to get Liara. I haven't done any of the other sidequests as of yet. I'm about 10k xp from level 56.

Hopeless? The xp needed per level is getting very very big now. I originally thought it wouldn't be a problem but those 120xp per kill on the regular guys are starting to look real small.

I'm on hardcore difficulty if it matters. Haven't really noticed a difference in xp.

I don't think I'll have the patience to play it through a third time before moving to ME2. It's been bought on steam and downloaded and ready to go since the Xmas sale. I really want to play it.

My first playthrough, on Normal, I finished at level 46. I did a few sidequests but not a lot. Second playthrough, on Hardcore, I did only enough quests to finish the ally achievements for Kaiden and Wrex, and finished at like 54, I think. Third playthrough on Insanity I did every quest in the game and only just barely hit 60 while progressing up the citadel tower.

garath

tsigo said:
My first playthrough, on Normal, I finished at level 46. I did a few sidequests but not a lot. Second playthrough, on Hardcore, I did only enough quests to finish the ally achievements for Kaiden and Wrex, and finished at like 54, I think. Third playthrough on Insanity I did every quest in the game and only just barely hit 60 while progressing up the citadel tower.

crap

tsigo

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Experience_Guide

Notice how the experience required jumps significantly around 57-60. I should also note that unless I was required to kill something in the Mako, I just drove right by enemies. You could gain some additional XP by getting out of the Mako and killing enemies on foot (ideally after you've lowered their health with the Mako), but to me that's almost worse than a third playthrough, because I really hated the Mako bits.

JDS 1977

Banned
So any way to go back and edit Shepard's appearance after the beginning? I wanted to maybe try a new face but don't feel like restarting just for that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ogs said:
So i try to install Bring Down the Sky, and its telling me ive ran out of activations.........

Activations for a free DLC ? Come on ......
Lol the same thing happened to me, but I had first gotten it with my retail copy so I grabbed my Steam key and dug up the BDTS page and registered that to my account as well and got 5 more activations. I need to be careful with Pinnacle Station as I assume it uses the same bullshit and I already used two.

En-ou

just beat this on xbox. seems like it is more of a movie than a game. the actual gameplay is like gears of war-lite. it doesnt seem like the speccing did much, after a while i just took anyone and put it on autospec.

and were checkpoints not invented yet? this game has the worse (or doesnt have at all) autosave/checkpoint system.

lets hope part 2 fixes all this.

kai3345

Banned
En-ou said:
just beat this on xbox. seems like it is more of a movie than a game. the actual gameplay is like gears of war-lite. it doesnt seem like the speccing did much, after a while i just took anyone and put it on autospec.

and were checkpoints not invented yet? this game has the worse (or doesnt have at all) autosave/checkpoint system.

2 is much more Gears like, autosave is much improved and skill trees are almost entirely removed

THRILLH0

Banned
Im pretty much doing a critical path run through ME1 so i'll have a character to import into ME2. I'll probably go back and start a new game+ after I finish ME2 so i'll get a chance to do all the sidequests then.

I'm about 8 hours in and found Liara on Therum and just finished Noveria. Feros is my next stop.

Can anyone give a rough estimate on how much longer it will take me to finish the game?

thetechkid

AShep said:
Im pretty much doing a critical path run through ME1 so i'll have a character to import into ME2. I'll probably go back and start a new game+ after I finish ME2 so i'll get a chance to do all the sidequests then.

I'm about 8 hours in and found Liara on Therum and just finished Noveria. Feros is my next stop.

Can anyone give a rough estimate on how much longer it will take me to finish the game?

If you just want to complete the game maybe 5-7 hours with no side missions.

THRILLH0

Banned
thetechkid said:
If you just want to complete the game maybe 5-7 hours with no side missions.

Thanks.

Do any of the side quests carry over to ME2? I know it's cheese just to rush through but I really want to play ME2 then i'll go back and take my time all over again with ME.

thetechkid

AShep said:
Thanks.

Do any of the side quests carry over to ME2? I know it's cheese just to rush through but I really want to play ME2 then i'll go back and take my time all over again with ME.

I'd run into people from side missions from ME1 a few times, mostly reminiscing about the past.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mmmm, I'm playing this for the first time on PC after like 7 or 8 replays on the Xbox. 60fps , 1080p, KBM controls...it's amazing all over again. Mostly just bought it so I can power through and have a save for ME2 though.

The music is still amazing. Probably the best OST ever.

AShep said:
Thanks.

This lists the sidequest choices that carry over to ME2 if you don't mind being spoiled.

JMizzlin

Just bought ME2 on a $15 whim despite hating the original. Will I regret this or is it better than ME1? Is there any story I should catch up on? I only just left the large space station in 1 before quitting.

daviyoung

Banned
Eye Drop said:
Just bought ME2 on a $15 whim despite hating the original. Will I regret this or is it better than ME1? Is there any story I should catch up on? I only just left the large space station in 1 before quitting.

In terms of everything apart from shooting, ME2 is a heavily diluted version of the first. You'll be fine. All the lore from the first (the codex that narrator dude reads out) are all there if you need to catch up on something.

Patryn

Eye Drop said:

Oh god. The question.

Basically, if you prefer a more guided and cinematic shooting experience, you'll probably prefer ME2.

If you're looking for exploration, a fairly seamless world and slower and arguably more tactical gameplay, you'll probably prefer ME1. Oh, it also has a decent main storyline, which is something ME2 couldn't be bothered with.

Me? I'm firmly in the ME1 camp. In fact, I have a feeling that I'm gearing up for my sixth playthrough (fourth total completionist).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm now more cautious in recommending Mass Effect 1.

On PC - yes, play it. Worth it.

On Xbox - if you can deal with garbage controls, frequent in-level loading and lengthy loading times, plus a slow, garbage inventory system, then play it. Oh, forgot to mention a boring decryption minigame and just altogether ugly UI that doesn't show any cooldowns in combat.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I got this on PC recently. I read that there was an ini file to mod in 360 controller support. Anyone know where? All the Google links lead to dead ends.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
LiquidMetal14 said:
I got this on PC recently. I read that there was an ini file to mod in 360 controller support. Anyone know where? All the Google links lead to dead ends.
Almost a day later and I will not ask again. Does anyone know or not? I'm just gonna drop it and play with M/KB if this doesn't pan out.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The game doesn't support 360 controller, UI is reworked, minigames are reworked and so on.

I was thinking about replaying this, but combat stops me every time from doing it.

RedSwirl

En-ou said:

Wait. Do the 360 versions of the Mass Effect games not have quick save?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
RedSwirl said:

hahahaha, damn my condolescenses to everybody who had to play it on 360 if it is the case. Also I heard that you can't issue commands to individual squadmates.

Acheron

Banned
RedSwirl said:

You can save nearly all of the time, (except in combat I think). But sometimes you can forget to save and the autosave doesn't always make this easy on you.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Playing the lovely PC version, two questions:

1. where can I find a steam version compatible mod that improves the low res textures?

2. what's the deal with customizing the controls? I try to exit out but whatever button I push remaps whatever I have selected, I dunno how to change the controls and just exit

- can't even switch back to default because it doesn't let me accept it and exit it, is it really this bad of a port or is my shit fucked up?

Dries

So I just beat the game two times, but I didnt get the achivement... WTF?! is this some known glitch or something? I beat the game twice on different HDD's, but that shouldnt be a problem cause it was beaten twice on the same gamer profile.

And I couldn't save after I beat the game. Can't you continue to play afer you've beat it? And will Mass Effect 2 import this savegame that I have now which is just before I fight Saren at the end..?

Anyone?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gvaz said:
You don't.

Already beat it, so I managed. The game still looks great at times but certain textures look bad up close. My Shepard's hair looked like a plastic mold that was dropped onto her head.

Amazing game, though, still have a great time with it.

Gvaz

Banned
There's no real way to mod it other than what Stallion mentioned because Bioware refuses to release mod tools for it (because they want to nickle and dime you with their shitty ass mods that should have been free content packs)

Lair of the Shadow Broker is a mild exception (for ME2 anyways)

Gvaz

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
Ok I've beaten the game twice now and haven't been able to get the sex in the elevator scene. How do you do it?
.....what are you talking about?

I do believe you got trolled.

Gvaz

Banned
I have no idea what that's about other than some hopeful thread from 2 years ago on the bioware forums.

That being said I've beaten the game 4+ times and there is absolutely no sex in an elevator

Ratrat

gaahhhh!

Got to the part where
you kill wrex
... :( This is my first time playing a Mass Effect game and I was under the impression he was an indispensable franchise character. Obviously I retried the scene many times but sadly it looks like i don't have enough dialogue options. Also, wikipedia tells me this is "late" in the game. How late? I've only played about 10 hours and feel like I may be rushing through it. And I foolishly only kept 1 save so I guess there's no way to abandon the current mission and return to the normandy to grind?

Ratrat said:
gaahhhh!

Got to the part where
you kill wrex
... :( This is my first time playing a Mass Effect game and I was under the impression he was an indispensable franchise character. Obviously I retried the scene many times but sadly it looks like i don't have enough dialogue options. Also, wikipedia tells me this is "late" in the game. How late? I've only played about 10 hours and feel like I may be rushing through it. And I foolishly only kept 1 save so I guess there's no way to abandon the current mission and return to the normandy to grind?

That's optional, and pretty sure he's in the second game, unless I'm confused. I dunno, maybe I didn't kill him and that's why. But yeah, one save is kinda dumb. I remember on my first playthru many moons ago I got a stupid bug where I was stuck on an optional planet and could not get off of it and had to restart, I was pretty late in the game too.

Top Bottom