• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Beat this last night...will probably start ME2 this weekend.

Finished in just over 26 hours with a Level 48 Vanguard. Completed every sidequest except one where I had to go back and talk to a dude at the citadel after I had already busted out of there.

Looking forward to a solid framerate and non recycled environments in the sequel.

I really wish I could use assault rifles. I mean, my pistol is badass and is pretty much a machine gun when using the marksman skill, but it's not the same. I also hardly use my own biotics skills because I was so overpowered by the end of the game. Fucking destroyed everything in a few shots. Don't want to start with a new character in ME2 though. :(

Mr_Zombie

The Interrobanger said:
Don't want to start with a new character in ME2 though. :(

You don't have to. I don't remember now, but I think you won't get any bonuses for a 48lvl Shepard so you will start with lvl 1 Shepard. You can also change her/his appearance and class if you want.

NooooDarthVader.jpg

Just finished a second playthrough, level 59 at the end with 60,000 odd exp to go :( Was hoping to get a level 60 char to import into ME2... FECK, ARSE.

Baron

My Shepard from my first playthrough of the game. I clocked 71 hours, man, a long time. Really enjoyed the game and just started the sequel yesterday.

IMG_2905_web.jpg

luiztfc

LTTP:

So, I just bought the game and so far I'm really into it (just became spectre).

But, I have the feeling I messed up my skill points tree... and reading on the internet about the infiltrator class I want to become one now (Love the sniper). So, how to I become a infiltrator? Is it based on the way I spend my upgrade points? Is there any way to transition from a already created class to one? Any infiltrator walkthrough?

Also, which is the best party? I'd like someone able to decrypt all the shit I run into.

Thanks!

Ps. I think I'll start a new game.

thechemist

LTTP as well (had it in my to play since 08 (PC)):

Finally completed this ~35hours total, started this in prepartion for ME2 release on PS3, played as soldier (shock trooper) had lots of fun running and gunning, played mainly as a paragon character. Story was epic and awesome. Also music was epic throughout the game especially this track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4SFXIzNf1o) as well as the main theme.

OVERALL - EPIC game :D

luiztfc said:
LTTP:

So, I just bought the game and so far I'm really into it (just became spectre).

But, I have the feeling I messed up my skill points tree... and reading on the internet about the infiltrator class I want to become one now (Love the sniper). So, how to I become a spectre? Is it based on the way I spend my upgrade points? Is there any way to transition from a already created class to one? Any spectre walkthrough?

Also, which is the best party? I'd like someone able to decrypt all the shit I run into.

Thanks!

Ps. I think I'll start a new game.

Becoming a spectre is just part of the storyline.

If you're an Infiltrator you'll have access to decrypt skill yourself, so you can take a biotic (Liara) and tank (Wrex/Ashley) with you.

mokeyjoe

thechemist said:
LTTP as well (had it in my to play since 08 (PC)):

Finally completed this ~35hours total, started this in prepartion for ME2 release on PS3, played as soldier (shock trooper) had lots of fun running and gunning, played mainly as a paragon character. Story was epic and awesome. Also music was epic throughout the game especially this track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4SFXIzNf1o) as well as the main theme.

OVERALL - EPIC game :D

Why don't you play ME2 on PC? Then you can carry your character over.

luiztfc

Confidence Man said:
Becoming a spectre is just part of the storyline.

If you're an Infiltrator you'll have access to decrypt skill yourself, so you can take a biotic (Liara) and tank (Wrex/Ashley) with you.

I mean infiltrator when I wrote spectre :lol

But how do I become an infiltrator? Is it based on how I spend my points?

thechemist

mokeyjoe said:
Why don't you play ME2 on PC? Then you can carry your character over.

I was going to buy on PC, but after trying demos of both platforms I thought the PS3 was a better choice, as my 8600m gt is getting a bit tired and is struggling now lol.

zaccheus

Banned
i just beat this game. (mass effect 1)

i really liked it, i spent a lot of time reading the codex. the writers really did a good job making this world really self-contained. i totally saw some influence from other sci fi books and shows and mass effect really impressed me with how much detail and depth bioware is willing to put into their games in terms of story and world development.

i was a bit disappointed with how the "world exploration" worked; you get dropped into a randomly generated terrain with bland textures going to each point on the map. was kind of boring. someone in this thread mentioned earlier that the textures on the PC version are bad, and i can confirm they are. i have my texture settings to very ultra whatever high, and garrus's face was still extremely pixelly. oh well. i also felt like i didn't spend enough time with the characters as i could have.

something that i think this game could benefit from are more onship occurrences, your ship didn't really feel like a ship, it felt more like a giant train just taking you to wherever you want. it would've been cool to have had some star trek-esque events where some sort of anomalous creature takes over the ship and you have to DROP THE CORE! or something cool like that.

aside from that, i really enjoyed the game, i look forward to playing it on ps3 (i beat mass effect 1 on pc) but i don't think i'm going to fork over the full 60 til it's AT MOST 40 bucks because i'm a cheap bastard.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just beat this game. Really really awesome, people should hype it more.

I can't believe I
let the council ship get blown up, rofl
. What the hell could I have done? Had to save the Goddam galaxy :lol

Dr.Acula said:
Just beat this game. Really really awesome, people should hype it more.

I can't believe I
let the council ship get blown up, rofl
. What the hell could I have done? Had to save the Goddam galaxy :lol

Ha, my first play through I did the same thing.
They make it seem like it's the council or galaxy.

matmanx1

I just finished this on the PC and enjoyed it alot. Is there supposed to be some kind of additional game save that takes place after the ending credits because their wasn't for me.

I'd like to play Bring Down the Sky (I have it downloaded) but to access it you need the Normandy's Galaxy Map and I don't know how to get back to that with my current save file. Would I have to restart the game and just wait until I get the Normandy back before I can play BDtS?

Patryn

matmanx1 said:
I just finished this on the PC and enjoyed it alot. Is there supposed to be some kind of additional game save that takes place after the ending credits because their wasn't for me.

I'd like to play Bring Down the Sky (I have it downloaded) but to access it you need the Normandy's Galaxy Map and I don't know how to get back to that with my current save file. Would I have to restart the game and just wait until I get the Normandy back before I can play BDtS?

Once you beat the game, that's it. You cannot continue playing the game.

In order to do BDtS, you need a save from before you travel to Ilos. If you don't have one, then, yes, you would need to start a new game and wait until you get access to the Normandy. If you rush, it should only take you about 2 hours to get to that point.

Sai

I'm curious... Has anybody managed to get a Quarian Hydra X in their inventory?... EVER?

The Quarian Onyx X is rare enough, but even still I've managed to get it to pop up in the Alliance Requisition Officer's inventory every now and then. Never seen the Hydra X at all...

Yes, I know that the only difference between them is the name, but I still want it. >:I

IoCaster

Sai said:
I'm curious... Has anybody managed to get a Quarian Hydra X in their inventory?... EVER?

The Quarian Onyx X is rare enough, but even still I've managed to get it to pop up in the Alliance Requisition Officer's inventory every now and then. Never seen the Hydra X at all...

Yes, I know that the only difference between them is the name, but I still want it. >:I

I've never noticed that it was difficult to find. The Aldrin Labs armor/gear is pretty weak stuff so I tend not to use it if I have a choice.

If you just want the armor and you're playing on PC you can use the console (~)
Code:
giveitem self 10 quarianl manf_aldrin_armor_hydra

masterkajo

sam27368 said:
71hours?! As much as I love ME1 I couldn't spend that long on it, my average playthrough is usually 15-20hrs.
My first playthrough was about 35-36 hours without DLC.
ME2 first playthrough without DLC ~65 hours.

masterkajo said:
My first playthrough was about 35-36 hours without DLC.
ME2 first playthrough without DLC ~65 hours.

How did you manage that? Mass Effect 2's main story is about a third of the length of Mass Effect with loyalty missions and N7 missions only last between 3 and 12 mins.

Interesting that this thread is back, I started ME1 again last night with a new shep so I can play the DLC I only bought a few months back, looking forward to it, plus i'm not playing soldier this time!

ukresistance said:
How did you manage that? Mass Effect 2's main story is about a third of the length of Mass Effect with loyalty missions and N7 missions only last between 3 and 12 mins.
12 minutes? yeah if you play on easy I guess.

My first ME2 play on hardcore was 30+ hours too.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
This thread reminded me I wanted to play through ME1 again. Finally got BDTS registered so that'll be new if not more of the same. Checked my last save and I was level 57, didn't remember the second playthrough before ME2 was released.

Diablohead said:
Interesting that this thread is back, I started ME1 again last night with a new shep so I can play the DLC I only bought a few months back, looking forward to it, plus i'm not playing soldier this time!

12 minutes? yeah if you play on easy I guess.

My first ME2 play on hardcore was 30+ hours too.

When I played on Insanity, playtime didn't increase much from my original playthrough on normal. There were however two exceptions and both of them were N7 droid missions. The crashed transport and the factory and that was only because I died over a dozen times on both because of the infinite spawns.

I also can't imagine why you are so surprised about the 12 minutes. Even without an Assault Rifle to turn everything into chum in a few seconds. Small play areas with a few enemy encounters and limited exploration isn't going to take long.

Mass Effect 2 does not have enough content in the game to explain such a long initial playthrough.

Bankoiia

ukresistance said:
Mass Effect 2 does not have enough content in the game to explain such a long initial playthrough.
I clocked in at 60 hours on my first and only playthrough of the game on normal, counting dlc. I guess I just like walking around, looking at stuff. But I'm all for taking in the atmosphere!

Also, making rounds to check if anyone on the ship had anything to say between every or so mission...
: (

Bankoiia said:
I clocked in at 60 hours on my first and only playthrough of the game on normal, counting dlc. I guess I just like walking around, looking at stuff. But I'm all for taking in the atmosphere!
Yeah but thats with DLC. 65 hours for a game without any is rather ridiculous. Unless you made sure to mine barren every single planet you could. Even then I don't know, maybe you just left it on and went to sleep or something.

Patryn

Lostconfused said:
Yeah but thats with DLC. 65 hours for a game without any is rather ridiculous. Unless you made sure to mine barren every single planet you could. Even then I don't know, maybe you just left it on and went to sleep or something.

My guess? Reading planet descriptions.

Sai

IoCaster said:
I've never noticed that it was difficult to find. The Aldrin Labs armor/gear is pretty weak stuff so I tend not to use it if I have a choice.

If you just want the armor and you're playing on PC you can use the console (~)
Code:
giveitem self 10 quarianl manf_aldrin_armor_hydra
360, bro... ;_;

I keep the highest ranked default stuff around(save for biotic amps) when I want an additional challenge. I also have a thing for keeping the characters' appearances consistent... Because I'm weird like that. :I

I've done it a few times already, and each and every time I look for that Quarian Hydra X... And I can never find it. :lol

Smokey

Beat the game today. Took me 26 or so hours. At first I did a shit load of sidequests, but then I couldn't stand it anymore and just got on with the story. I've got a question about DLC. I bought Bring Down the Sky...but the only way I can get to the content is through the galactic map? I started the game again on Hardcore....so does this mean I have to go through the entire game up until I can choose where I want to go on the Map before I can get to the content I paid for?

Please tell me there is another way....

Patryn

Smokey said:
Beat the game today. Took me 26 or so hours. At first I did a shit load of sidequests, but then I couldn't stand it anymore and just got on with the story. I've got a question about DLC. I bought Bring Down the Sky...but the only way I can get to the content is through the galactic map? I started the game again on Hardcore....so does this mean I have to go through the entire game up until I can choose where I want to go on the Map before I can get to the content I paid for?

Please tell me there is another way....

From 16 posts above yours:

Patryn said:
Once you beat the game, that's it. You cannot continue playing the game.

In order to do BDtS, you need a save from before you travel to Ilos. If you don't have one, then, yes, you would need to start a new game and wait until you get access to the Normandy. If you rush, it should only take you about 2 hours to get to that point.

Is the problem that you can't access your first play through saves? I can't think off the top of my head whether you can do that or not. Does New Game+ create a new career or does it replace your first play through? Can you change back to the old career on the Load Screen?

Patryn

Felix Lighter said:
Is the problem that you can't access your first play through saves? I can't think off the top of my head whether you can do that or not. Does New Game+ create a new career or does it replace your first play through? Can you change back to the old career on the Load Screen?

It's considered a new career, I believe.

JDS 1977

Banned
Played 360 version few years back and working on part 2 now. I just Installed my PC version of ME1 to check out how it looks. Where's the site with all the fancy shep faces and or recommended mods?

esk1mo420

Mining Planets is so much fun. Loving it. Anyone else taking a break from the main mission to explore and so some strip-mining?

One thing I noticed so far. Gas planets have more Palladium/Platinum while Rocky bodies have more Iridium and sometimes Eezo.

Dont forget to get the scanner/probe upgrades from the Tech bay.

webrunner

I wonder.. assuming there's auto translation going on even with character names from the alien languages, otherwise we wouldn't have a character named "Nihilus" that isn't from Earth.

So I wonder, what is Nihilus's actual real Turian name?

Top Bottom