• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

voodoopanda said:
I got Mass Effect 1 off Steam and I was wondering how to get the DLC for it? The Downloadable Content section is empty. I tried doing a google search and found all sorts of ancient stuff on message boards and random mixed messages about what to do back when the DLC first came out and links to pages that aren't there any more. How do I go about getting and installing it?

You have to get it from the EA store. You can use their client to update your files.

voodoopanda said:
I got Mass Effect 1 off Steam and I was wondering how to get the DLC for it? The Downloadable Content section inside the game is empty. I tried doing a google search and found all sorts of ancient stuff on message boards and random mixed messages about what to do back when the DLC first came out and links to pages that aren't there any more. How do I go about getting and installing it?

For Bring Down The Sky DLC you go here and follow the instructions -

http://masseffect.bioware.com/me1/galacticcodex/bringdownthesky_pc.html

The installer was made to work with the Steam version (which i have, and completed it yesterday, enjoyed it alot !).

The Pinnacle Station paid DLC you have to get from here (i think its the only place) -

http://eastore.ea.com/DRHM/servlet/...B&ThemeID=850300&Env=BASE&productID=152041300

Question for people who have played the Pinnacle Station stuff, any good ? Worth the £3.99 price ?

I just beat the 360 version of ME1 as ME2 keeps crashing my PC. I tried to keep everything the same as my PC playthrough. Anyone know how the 360 version is graphics-wise on ME2? I am hoping that it isn't choppy most of the time like ME1.

Anyway, a little funny for you guys. I was at Gamestop today picking up Lunar and was browsing the 360 section and saw they had some copies of ME1.... for $29.99 USED. I just looked at that and laughed because in December I almost bought a severely bashed up copy of the Collectors Edition, but it was missing the bonus disc so I left it. It was $14.99 then... gotta love GS jacking up the price when the sequel comes out. :lol

EDIT: I just saw that the MSRP of ME1 is now $20. Gamestop is a friggin joke!

thorin

Big Papa Husker said:
I just beat the 360 version of ME1 as ME2 keeps crashing my PC. I tried to keep everything the same as my PC playthrough. Anyone know how the 360 version is graphics-wise on ME2? I am hoping that it isn't choppy most of the time like ME1.
ME2 is very smooth on 360. The performance difference is night and day.

Subitai

Big Papa Husker said:
Anyway, a little funny for you guys. I was at Gamestop today picking up Lunar and was browsing the 360 section and saw they had some copies of ME1.... for $29.99 USED. I just looked at that and laughed because in December I almost bought a severely bashed up copy of the Collectors Edition, but it was missing the bonus disc so I left it. It was $14.99 then... gotta love GS jacking up the price when the sequel comes out. :lol

EDIT: I just saw that the MSRP of ME1 is now $20. Gamestop is a friggin joke!
Who do you they think they're kidding?

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Just started my first Bioware game ever with a sole surviving earthborn vanguard Shepard.

Just went to the council meeting after the first mission/prologue
where Saren plays stealth douchebag on his lil holo gram while I threatened to viciously murder him in front of unphased diplomats

Pretty interesting so far. Haven't gotten very far at all yet but this could very well end up being the first WRPG to ever win me over.

Major thumbs up for some of the alien designs. Some slick stuff here, the Krogans and Turians are straight up badass.

Currently have my squad mates auto leveling, hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

Kerrinck

DennisK4 said:
You can turn off the film grain, if that is the effect you are refering to.
Thanks, kept thinking it had something to do with the filtering mode option and completely missed the film grain one.
Also, is there anyway to increase AA? Did not see it in the game options.

Kerrinck said:
Thanks, kept thinking it had something to do with the filtering mode option and completely missed the film grain one.
Also, is there anyway to increase AA? Did not see it in the game options.

You'll need to use your graphics card's settings to get AA to work in ME. I know, it's a pain.

Eccocid

Yea i had started to play this first time few days ago...

Is it the most unbalanced game ever made? Some parts of the game are very easy i can kill enemies in one shot with sniper rifle
then
I am stucked in a boss fight in a room without any cover (the area when i save the blue alien chick) and i die in like 5 secs. Its quite difficult to use other party members, i usually letthem whatever they want and they usually die in few secs but it was ok till this part. They still die in few secs including me this time.

AND WHY THE FUCK i cant skip cutscenes?!?! i googled it and seems like i have to edit some registry files even tho i did it, it still doesn't work....

Verapamil

Banned
Eccocid said:

Is it the most unbalanced game ever made? Some parts of the game are very easy i can kill enemies in one shot with sniper rifle
then
I am stucked in a boss fight in a room without any cover (the area when i save the blue alien chick) and i die in like 5 secs. Its quite difficult to use other party members, i usually letthem whatever they want and they usually die in few secs but it was ok till this part. They still die in few secs including me this time.

AND WHY THE FUCK i cant skip cutscenes?!?! i googled it and seems like i have to edit some registry files even tho i did it, it still doesn't work....

That was a very difficult fight, if memory serves.

Eccocid said:

then

do you mean fighting the krogan at the end of liara's mission?

if so, run behind cover near the blue energy barrier taking out the weak geth enemies. focus on taking down everything except the krogan, then make sure u have some spoiler moves to put the krogan down or up! like lift in particular works great (even when they are charging)

Eccocid

cleveridea said:
do you mean fighting the krogan at the end of liara's mission?

if so, run behind cover near the blue energy barrier taking out the weak geth enemies. focus on taking down everything except the krogan, then make sure u have some spoiler moves to put the krogan down or up! like lift in particular works great (even when they are charging)

damn it i dont think i have any of those abilities with me right now. i am pure Soldier and my party is Wrex and the other alien guy without much abilities i think i screwed up when i levelled my characters haha.
I spent too much skill points in guns :(
What worse is i cant go back to somewhere else i play the game with only quick save!!!

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, but wouldn't it be a more sound tactical decision to
order the Systems Alliance fleet to save the Destiny Ascension? From what I saw, the Geth ships survived the DA's explosion, so if the Alliance ships just bypass that part of the battle, wouldn't the leftover Geth fleet then have been able to swing around and attack them from behind? I know they didn't, but it seems like that would have been the logical conclusion of the battle. You don't ignore an enemy who can strike at you from behind if you have an opportunity to destroy them first.

Montresor

I've been playing Mass Effect and enjoying it very much... really late to the party. Anyway, I just finished Virmire. It was the last planet I decided to visit (I did Noveria first, then searched for Liara, then completed Feros, then went to Virmire).

When I was done with Virmire, I opened up the Galaxy Map and was then forced to go the Citadel. Now the Normandy is grounded, and the only way to leave the Citadel is to have Captain Anderson commit sabotage... I leave the Citadel and undoubtedly will not be able to return.

Will this make some of the side quests impossible to complete? =( =( =( I still have half a dozen clusters I have yet to explore. I mean there's gotta be at least a couple of those side quests that finish off with a visit to Citadel (i.e. explore random planet in Styx Theta, inform father at the Citadel).

Edgeward

You, yourself, will have to select the actual final destination when you leave the Citadel. So it should be possible to visit the other clusters. But you can't go back to the Citadel. =(

Konosuke

I just finished it a week ago. I wasn't expecting such a gripping game. I really loved it. But god that inventory system sucks. Why waste time managing it when you could be having interesting conversations throughout the galaxy? Wrex is so badass, his comments during the missions are hilarious. I can't wait to play ME3 after playing this and 2.

DarthWoo said:
I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, but wouldn't it be a more sound tactical decision to
order the Systems Alliance fleet to save the Destiny Ascension? From what I saw, the Geth ships survived the DA's explosion, so if the Alliance ships just bypass that part of the battle, wouldn't the leftover Geth fleet then have been able to swing around and attack them from behind? I know they didn't, but it seems like that would have been the logical conclusion of the battle. You don't ignore an enemy who can strike at you from behind if you have an opportunity to destroy them first.

It wasn't really a tactical decision. It was more of a payback at the Council imo. Those cunts didn't believed you after all your hard work and just wanted to stay on power and save their asses. I guess killing them off was a good call.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Konosuke said:
I just finished it a week ago. I wasn't expecting such a gripping game. I really loved it. But god that inventory system sucks. Why waste time managing it when you could be having interesting conversations throughout the galaxy? Wrex is so badass, his comments during the missions are hilarious. I can't wait to play ME3 after playing this and 2.

Yeah, I went into this game expecting just a good RPG and woke up a month and a half later with three walkthroughs waiting for ME2. And by the way I don't really like Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Lexx and so on (I like Firefly though). But ME has something that turns me into an irrationally loving babbling fan. I just can't point it out but it might be the same reason I watched Aliens for like 50 times - I just like it :D

They sorted out inventory system in ME2, you'll like it. Now they just need to expand it a bit.

Montresor

Hmmph, it turned out to not be a big deal at all. Not a single one of the remaining side quests required me to return to the Citadel.

Anyway, I'm still trying to finish up every side quest before heading to the final planet... I'm about to do the
Garrus: Finding Dr. Saleon
side quest. Should I bother bringing Garrus with me? I wonder if the cutscene at the conclusion of the side quest is cooler/more satisfying if Garrus is there to witness the events. I've been playing the entire game with Ashley and Wrex, and yeah I've already gotten the Krogan/Soldier achievements so it won't be much skin off my back to bring Garrus along... but I don't feel like equipping him. :lol

nourali2 said:
Hmmph, it turned out to not be a big deal at all. Not a single one of the remaining side quests required me to return to the Citadel.

Anyway, I'm still trying to finish up every side quest before heading to the final planet... I'm about to do the
Garrus: Finding Dr. Saleon
side quest. Should I bother bringing Garrus with me? I wonder if the cutscene at the conclusion of the side quest is cooler/more satisfying if Garrus is there to witness the events. I've been playing the entire game with Ashley and Wrex, and yeah I've already gotten the Krogan/Soldier achievements so it won't be much skin off my back to bring Garrus along... but I don't feel like equipping him. :lol

yeah bring Garrus and do the right thing...

Jezan

Garrus is weird, most of his choices are too vague, so I don't know what's the paragon thing to do when he is around :p

I know the top right answer is the paragon, but it feels wrong :lol

Kaidan <3

karasu

Eva-Shepard.jpg

Eva

I'm playing as a Vanguard. I just finished my first planet (Feros) and I'm loving this game. I'm so happy to be done with those Thorian zombies and that accursed Asari clone. That chick freaked me out. Jesus. The Krogans kill the shit out of me too.

I have a question though. I started the game before I signed up for Xbox live. Is there a way I can transfer my game save to my Xbox Live account? Can I merge the accounts?

Slacker

Trying to finally play this damn game and once again I run into this:

Eccocid said:
Seriously. This is such a great game and I'll never get through it because of the cutscene idiocy. It's like a world-class chef making the perfect meal and dumping a handful of nails on it at the end. Back to the end of the backlog line it goes.

Altazor

I recently finished it (playing ME2 atm) and loved it.

Played Paragon though. I find it really hard to play "evil" characters in games... dunno why. Maybe I'm just a stupid goody-two-shoes or whatever.

And I left
stupid whiny Alenko's ass back in Virmire so I could get the hawt scene with Ashley <3 <3 <3

great game.

edit: oh, and:

w82wjd.jpg

(creepy shepard smile is creepy)

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
For all you people picking it up from the $5 steam sale, if you arent playing Female
Renegade
Shepard, you are doing it wrong

Wallach

Korranator said:
doh ...........

Didn't see that.

Thanks. :)

I guess you have to force AA?

Don't worry about it, I've had to point it out to at least a dozen people since I started posting on NeoGAF. :lol

Yeah, AA has to be forced.

Following the advice of an excellent GAFfer (I don't know who, though), I played that game without doing any single side mission, in order to keep the 'pace' going and never feeling bored with what many people seemed to think was a drag.

The newly released ME2 dlc makes me wonder though - did i go overboard - are there side missions which are worthy of playing in ME? I started that 'help the humans' quest and got bored very fast. How is BDTS? And the whole cerberus thing?

Datwheezy said:
For all you people picking it up from the $5 steam sale, if you arent playing Female
Renegade
Shepard, you are doing it wrong

so true. Sami Shepard fucking stormed in, did her job without hesitation, never asked questions, and strong armed some hot asari ass

Montresor

I'm diving back into Mass Effect in an effort to get all the achievements in the game. I have some questions about the allies.

I already have the soldier and krogan ally achievements. I'm starting my hardcore run at level 50. I am definitely going to use the asari because I want to get that possibly-mind-numbing achievement out of the way as soon as possible. Who should I use as my second ally? Quarian, turian, or alliance biotic?

I want to make the choice that gets me the best possible group to play with in my insanity run. For example, if the alliance biotic and the turian together make a great combo for the insanity playthrough, then I will choose the quarian as the partner to my asari in the hardcore playthrough.

Also, wooooow at Bring Down The Sky being 80 microsoft points. I had only 530 in my account but I was able to buy both Bring down the Sky & Pinnacle Station (80 MSP + 400 MSP).

Aumann

I played through this game recently and I never encountered any "love" sequences. At which point(s?) in the game is this sequence found and how do I activate it?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Aumann said:
I played through this game recently and I never encountered any "love" sequences. At which point(s?) in the game is this sequence found and how do I activate it?
Talk to girls.

nourali2 said:
I'm diving back into Mass Effect in an effort to get all the achievements in the game. I have some questions about the allies.

I already have the soldier and krogan ally achievements. I'm starting my hardcore run at level 50. I am definitely going to use the asari because I want to get that possibly-mind-numbing achievement out of the way as soon as possible. Who should I use as my second ally? Quarian, turian, or alliance biotic?

I want to make the choice that gets me the best possible group to play with in my insanity run. For example, if the alliance biotic and the turian together make a great combo for the insanity playthrough, then I will choose the quarian as the partner to my asari in the hardcore playthrough.

Also, wooooow at Bring Down The Sky being 80 microsoft points. I had only 530 in my account but I was able to buy both Bring down the Sky & Pinnacle Station (80 MSP + 400 MSP).

You didn't mention what class your own character was but I would use Tali and Liara on hardcore. Using Garrus and Kaiden on insanity.

The reasons for this is you want an engineer class to open doors, repair mako and open containers on both runs and Liara is the hardest ally achievment. As you have to go through Eden Prime/Citadel before you can recruit her and will have a chore missing so many side missions and heading to Therum on insanity.

nourali2 said:
Thanks for the reply, and I'm an infiltrator.

To save yourself some time with ability/weapon achievments you might consider starting a new character for either playthrough. As by having a level 50 character and completing the majority of the game you have 5% and 10% bonuses to your exp. You could use a Soldier or Vanguard for insanity to offset the abilities of your other characters too.

Montresor

I'm playing Bring Down The Sky and I'm getting slaughtered. Should I be going after the surface turrets on the Mako or on foot? Either way I get killed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nourali2 said:
I'm playing Bring Down The Sky and I'm getting slaughtered. Should I be going after the surface turrets on the Mako or on foot? Either way I get killed.
I used whatever that pistol accuracy power is on them from long range (had it maxed out).

Mindlog

I'm fairly certain I killed them all from the Mako. I just plotted out a path and drove while I zoomed in with the cannon to get a couple of shots off on a turret. I circled back around when it was time. You want to engage as few turrets as possible at a time.

It was pretty easy for me fighting them from max range, but I was really comfortable with the Mako controls. I enjoyed the Mako controls more than most other FPS vehicle sections this gen.

The only turrets I may have killed on foot were the last few that were moving on a track. I found a blind spot by some silos that made it easier to kill on foot.

Montresor

I did it again and I killed them just fine using the Mako... It's been awhile since I played Mass Effect so I forgot how manageable some of these turrets can get if you just circle around and around and time your explosive shots.

I have an unrelated question, about the way this game sorts careers and save files. The file I imported towards Mass Effect 2 was a level 50 all-paragon infiltrator. I had my fun in Mass Effect 2, whatever. But now I'm returning to Mass Effect 1 and I've elected to do a new game+ on hardcore with that same level 50 infiltrator, but the save system is filing that new game+ under the same career as the paragon run. Why does it do this? Was there an option to play the new game+ in a separate career that I completely missed?

What I did when I first started: I selected new career, then in the sign-in screen, I chose to use an "existing ID" and I chose my level 50 paragon infiltrator for a new game+.

Patryn

The only problem with killing them with the Mako is that, as with everything else in the game, you only get 1/3 the EXP you would if you killed them on foot.

It's possible to kill them on foot, you just have to be constantly moving, and not getting too close.

Montresor

Yaaaaaay! I just finished my hardcore playthrough. Hardcore achievement unlocked, along with the asari and quarian ally achievements taken care of. :D :D I will 1200 this game.

I'm not even daunted by the insanity playthrough that I need (nor am I daunted by the turian/biotic ally achievements). I think what will really be annoying is getting those god damn shotgun and assault rifle achievements. I probably have 10,000 pistol kills. Such is the life of an infiltrator.

I'm really really stoked about this playthrough I just had. It was a best case scenario. I went in attempting five achievements (hardcore, 2 playthroughs, asari ally, quarian ally, renegade points) and I got every single one. I've read close to a hundred posts on the 360achievements web site describing horror stories about the ally achievements and ESPECIALLY about the asari ally achievement. And one post claiming the 2 playthrough achievement is glitched. I almost screwed up that asari ally achievement but I got it right at the very end, during the cutscene before the final boss battle.

Montresor

Man I've just been an animal in Mass Effect today. I'm up to 1060 right now and all I need are the following achievements to get 1200: beat insanity, get level 60, sentinel ally, turian ally.

I started my insanity run today, importing my level 58 infiltrator. Now that I have both the renegade and paragon achievements... I think I will take it slow and let my heart decide on each conversation option. It used to be that I would just always pick the top option (in my normal playthrough) or the bottom optiom (in my hardcore playthrough) but now I'm going to take the time to read all three (or five) conversation choices and pick what I think is the best answer for myself... rather than take a purely one-dimensional path.

I finished Eden Prime on insanity... and it was really easy. Almost every second of my hardcore run was easy peasy as a matter of fact. The only parts that gave me (major) trouble were Mako runs on Virmire and the creepers. Now I haven't faced any Krogan yet on insanity but I have a feeling I'm just going to breeze through this. I have a stacked level 58 infiltrator with tons of outstanding spectre gear... Mass Effect 2's insanity was so much different. It was unbelievably hard, much harder than Mass Effect 1. Part of it may be because ME1's new game+ helps so much more than ME2's new game+. But I think ME2's insanity is just more unforgiving.

Top Bottom