• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

DieH@rd

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Would you qualify the ending as a "cliff" "hanger"?

Cliffhanger.gif

:D

JimtotheHum said:
given the different types of character described- lets start a poll of what everyone is gonna be in mass effect...ie Soldier, Engineer, adept....

I think Im leaning towards Sentinal....
I'm debating between Soldier and Infiltrator.

chespace said:
Finished Mass Effect on Saturday night. Clocked in at just under 40 hours and thoroughly enjoyed it. The game will probably be a bit shorter for most of you, but I did just about every single sidequest I could find (and ended up getting the "completionist" achievement). There were still a TON of planets I did not visit/scan, FYI. The ending sequence/battle was :O

I'd like to play through this again with a male biotic only character, but TOO MANY GAMES!!

I shall revisit Mass Effect next spring.

Without spoiling anything, did the story live up to that bold statement made by OXM?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
BenjaminBirdie said:
Would you qualify the ending as a "cliff" "hanger"?

Not a cliffhanger in the HL2 or Halo 2 sense where the game basically ends mid-scene.

At the end, the universe is a very different place from when the game started and while this chapter is finished, you realize there is much work to be done. :D

I would love to see everyone post pictures of the character they create. That would be really interesting to me. So do it!

chespace said:
Not a cliffhanger in the HL2 or Halo 2 sense where the game basically ends mid-scene.

At the end, the universe is a very different place from when the game started and while this chapter is finished, you realize there is much work to be done. :D

I would love to see everyone post pictures of the character they create. That would be really interesting to me. So do it!

Sooooo exciiited!!

I finished HL2 last night and this switch in my head has flipped and now I'm just really dying for more story driven videogaming. Mass Effect looks like it'll be a perfect fit.

chespace

BenjaminBirdie said:
Sooooo exciiited!!

I finished HL2 last night and this switch in my head has flipped and now I'm just really dying for more story driven videogaming. Mass Effect looks like it'll be a perfect fit.

Your story/characters/dialogue/exposition cup will runneth over with Mass EFfect.

watership said:
Is this the one that's totally not available in Canada? Because that would make sense. Canadian games like Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect shouldn't be available here in special editions. Makes sense.

As much sense as red blooded American LEs like Forza Motorsport 2 not being available in the U S of A.

chespace

BenjaminBirdie said:
As much sense as red blooded American LEs like Forza Motorsport 2 not being available in the U S of A.

Marketing moves in mysterious ways.

masterkajo said:
I guess I'll be playing as Infiltrator. It just seems to suit my style of gameplay the most.

I chose Infiltrator and now I regret it. The sniper rifle is hard to use due to the sway of the crosshair, and the opportunities to use it are too few and far between. I find myself wishing for the use of a shotgun or assault rifle more than anything else. Im forced to use a pistol most of the time. Too late to start over too (already 10 hours into it).

chespace

Naeblish said:
Still your goty che after finishing it (besides forza2 ofcourse)?

I never said it was my GOTY when I made my intial posts because I hadn't played SMG or Uncharted yet (the demo doesn't count).

There are so many good games this year, and Mass Effect is a strong contender. RPG of the year? Mos def.

PistolPete said:
I chose Infiltrator and now I regret it. The sniper rifle is hard to use due to the sway of the crosshair, and the opportunities to use it are too few and far between. I find myself wishing for the use of a shotgun or assault rifle more than anything else. Im forced to use a pistol most of the time. Too late to start over too (already 10 hours into it).
Good to know. Maybe I'll go w/ soldier, then. What would you switch to if you were starting over?

chespace

One note about this is that the sniper rifle will become godly later on and as you improve, the sway will be much less and you can sit back, let your other soldier members do the grunt work while you pick off enemies. It is not a shitty weapon.

Also, the pistol can become super powerful later on too, depending on the model and ammo you equip.

In the beginning, the assault rifle is obviously the best weapon since it's easy to use and does decent damage.

JayDubya

Banned
I have a question for those of you that have already finished the game, even though that kind of makes me want to jab pointy objects into your faces for beating a game that isn't even out yet.

There is apparently a New Game + type feature and two unlockable difficulties that are too hard without doing them on New Game +.

What do you retain when you do a New Game +? Also, do you have to stick with the same character type?

I wouldn't neccessarily have a problem going through the game 3 times with the same character, but it would be nice to maybe keep the gear and the total character level and maybe get to change gender and character class. I intend to play on Veteran at first.

chespace said:
Your story/characters/dialogue/exposition cup will runneth over with Mass EFfect.

Well put! You can't even put the story of HL2 and Mass Effect in the same category in my opinion. Mass Effect is like a good book that you don't want to put down. Never played a game where the story is so engaging and well told.

Chu-Fye!

OMG!!!!

GOTY without a shadow of a doubt!!! Mario galaxy WHOOOOO?????

This game is tooo much.
Man the character custumisation options are awsome.
The music in this game is AWSOME!!!
Just wait till you hear the score.
The story opening is soooo much already.
Now i believe and understand what the reviewers were saying.

Frack it.. Back to playing!

cybropm

Went to my friends house who works at a Wal-mart. they got some in last night.

The game looks amazing and you feel kind of like your in a Battlestar Gallactica type movie.

The thing that bothers me though is sections of levels take a little too long to load. You will be walking around and then it pauses fore like 5 to 8 seconds. Some areas it loads like that every ten to twenty steps. SOOO ANNOYING!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
cybropm said:
Went to my friends house who works at a Wal-mart. they got some in last night.

The game looks amazing and you feel kind of like your in a Battlestar Gallactica type movie.

The thing that bothers me though is sections of levels take a little too long to load. You will be walking around and then it pauses fore like 5 to 8 seconds. Some areas it loads like that every ten to twenty steps. SOOO ANNOYING!
Doesn't sound any worse than HL2.

GhaleonEB

chespace said:
Does the game have a function to let us share our avatars, or are you talking off-screen shots here?

LukeSmith

chespace said:
Also, the pistol can become super powerful later on too, depending on the model and ammo you equip.

Originally, I was disappointed with the Pistol, as an Adept it is the only weapon I can use, however now, having a decent pistol with some pretty sweet mods, it is an excellent weapon when my Biotic abilities are on cooldown, and Marksman is a pretty sweet ability.

One of the things I am really digging about the combat is, if you've played WoW, there's a lot of Cooldown management to maximize party DPS (damage per second). Using specific ability combos to focus fire key foes while using mezzing abiltiies like Stasis to give you time to recharge key abilities or control somewhat hectic crowds reminds me a bit of 5 player party situations from WoW dungeon crawls, except instead of 5 people, it's 3 and instead of random newbs screwing up, I get to screw everything up [I like to micromanage my guys, they'll do their own things if you let them and with reasonable success, but as I've leveled and handpicked their abilties, I have a pretty good idea of what I want character X to do in a given situation].

Tieno

LukeSmith said:
Originally, I was disappointed with the Pistol, as an Adept it is the only weapon I can use, however now, having a decent pistol with some pretty sweet mods, it is an excellent weapon when my Biotic abilities are on cooldown, and Marksman is a pretty sweet ability.

One of the things I am really digging about the combat is, if you've played WoW, there's a lot of Cooldown management to maximize party DPS (damage per second). Using specific ability combos to focus fire key foes while using mezzing abiltiies like Stasis to give you time to recharge key abilities or control somewhat hectic crowds reminds me a bit of 5 player party situations from WoW dungeon crawls, except instead of 5 people, it's 3 and instead of random newbs screwing up, I get to screw everything up [I like to micromanage my guys, they'll do their own things if you let them and with reasonable success, but as I've leveled and handpicked their abilties, I have a pretty good idea of what I want character X to do in a given situation].
I have no idea what cooldown management is, mezzing or fire key, but it sounds cool.

yeah- I have been wondering about that issue- Oblivion (a game with about the same size and scope of Mass Effect) had some of the same issues of constant load times...

che or Lukems can you confirm or deny any long loading time or too frequent loading issues???

LukeSmith

Tieno said:
I have no idea what cooldown management is, mezzing or fire key, but it sounds cool.

If I have character X use an ability that knocks shields down, it will be 45 seconds or so until that ability is ready again, that period where it is unusable (while it recharges). Mezzing is taking an enemy and putting them out of combat, Sap in WoW or Stasis in this game freezing them for 11 seconds or so, (more the more points you invest in it). If i'm fighting a ton of dudes and have three stasis in my party, I'll start off the fight and try and freeze three guys and kill a couple more while those guys are frozen, that's all.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
You know what I like?

Not paying attention for all the months leading up to this games release. Just now reading anything about it, and I've only really got 1 week to wait for what seems like a great game.

Ignorance is Bliss, sometimes!

Phthisis

Lonestar said:
You know what I like?

Not paying attention for all the months leading up to this games release. Just now reading anything about it, and I've only really got 1 week to wait for what seems like a great game.

Ignorance is Bliss, sometimes!

That's pretty much how I feel too.

So, I quess some of you are already playing, I only got one question: Is the AI any good? It looked horrible in the gameplay demos back in e3 etc. so I wish they really have fixed it.

Sallokin

FUCKING YES!!! Kmart pulled through for me today! Asked the dude if they had any in the back, he walked back with a copy and said "It says 'Do Not Sell Until 11/20/2007', but our computer is letting me sell them. Here you go."

Will post my character later.

FrankT

Chu-Fye! said:
OMG!!!!

GOTY without a shadow of a doubt!!! Mario galaxy WHOOOOO?????

This game is tooo much.
Man the character custumisation options are awsome.
The music in this game is AWSOME!!!
Just wait till you hear the score.
The story opening is soooo much already.
Now i believe and understand what the reviewers were saying.

Frack it.. Back to playing!

Man I need this game stat.

Top Bottom