• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Nif

hotsauceiswack said:
After reading seeing the new trailer, reading the OXM review and the new details revealed by the angel sh4mike my hype meter is out of this galaxy. GOTY confirmed

EDIT: Does anyone have any sweet HD wallpapers?

I'd been trying to find one, but they're mostly low quality versions of the boxart. I made this instead:

It'll be on my desktop for a while. =)

Walshicus

lybertyboy said:
Want to know why partial nudity is listed on Mass Effect's rating? Here's a little nugget to get everyone ready for the new week. The first footage of the real lesbian love scene. Be warned though, this video does include a possible SPOILER.

http://gamevideos.com/video/id/16127

Hmm, *that's* considered partial nudity? I guess technically so; but it's not as if you see anything. It's still pretty prudish.

arhra

Sir Fragula said:
Hmm, *that's* considered partial nudity? I guess technically so; but it's not as if you see anything. It's still pretty prudish.
Provides an interesting contrast between the US and UK ratings systems, too - ESRB slapped it with an M, while the BBFC passed it as a 12 :lol

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
arhra said:
Provides an interesting contrast between the US and UK ratings systems, too - ESRB slapped it with an M, while the BBFC passed it as a 12 :lol

Cultural differences. Sex isn't nearly as taboo in the UK as it is in the US.

Spire said:
Cultural differences. Sex isn't nearly as taboo in the UK as it is in the US.
Funny really, things have got a lot better in that regard lately. Used to be that our censors were some of the harshest around. (I'm in the UK)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
arhra said:
Seems almost pointless them sticking a BBFC rating on it. I don't think I've ever seen a BBFC 12 rating on a game, they only normally put them on for 15's or 18's, and otherwise use the PEGI system.

The consumer advice doesn't really make sense of it, either:
Consumer Advice: Contains moderate violence and one moderate sex scene
I think this should have easily been a 15. They can't use the sci-fi excuse, either, otherwise Halo would have been in the same boat.

Edit: The PEGI site is even funnier. Mass Effect has got an 18+ PEGI rating in every other European country that uses it, but here in the UK, it gets put on a 12 BBFC rating.:lol What the fuck?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Kintaro said:
Is this really surprising anymore? God of War has full frontal nudity and sex, and Conan just did the same. Showing skin shouldn't be that surprising anymore should it? o_O

Well, with Conan's and God of War's timelines and history, those were the norms back then - and as much as I'd love to see topless women be the norm in the future society again, I really didn't expect that much skin in a futuristic sci-fi RPG of this scale - all I was expecting was the earlier, less revealing version of this that came out some time ago... but I'm pleasantly surprised!

arhra

Seems almost pointless them sticking a BBFC rating on it. I don't think I've ever seen a BBFC 12 rating on a game, they only normally put them on for 15's or 18's, and otherwise use the PEGI system.
Well, if it's submitted to the BBFC, i think they have to rate it. And given the ESRB and PEGI ratings, i can understand MS submitting it. But then the BBFC just turned around and completely lowballed it :lol

JayDubya

Banned
Interesting. :D

I wonder, I wonder if they have a unique animation each for Kaiden, Liara, and Ashley, or if they just substitute Ashley for Liara in that exact same animation, and use the female PC in that spot with Kaiden.

You know, it's still very difficult for me to look at Mass Effect as a video game I will be playing, as all the media and video I've seen is so freaking cinematic and well-done. It looks less like a game and more like a movie to the point where when I do periodically realize I'll be playing it, it's hard to fathom what that will be like as an experience.

It has less to do with the graphics and more of how it's been presented as a product thusfar, but you get my drift.

JayDubya

Banned
Darkman M said:
Can you get the love scene playing male?

Yes, absolutely, and I would imagine the Liara one would play out almost entirely identically with a male or female Shepard.

A male Shepard can romance Liara or Ashley. A female Shepard can romance Liara or Kaiden.

If previous Bioware romances are any indication, one could turn down the scene or never express interest in any of your squad mates, thus preventing the scene from triggering.

Psychotext said:
Funny really, things have got a lot better in that regard lately. Used to be that our censors were some of the harshest around. (I'm in the UK)
That's news to both me and A Girl's Guide to 21st Century Sex on 4 every Thursday, 11.20 PM.

So to those with the game is Saren a good villain or just some cartoonish dude who is angry all the time? Also for those who have finished it
Do the Reapers show up?

Mr. Spinnington said:
That's news to both me and A Girl's Guide to 21st Century Sex on 4 every Thursday, 11.20 PM.
You think that would have been allowed even 5 years ago? Not a chance. Like I said... our censors are far less harsh than they used to be.

Psychotext said:
You think that would have been allowed even 5 years ago? Not a chance. Like I said... our censors are far less harsh than they used to be.
I'm also studying abroad just since September from the states. I don't have a reference point, but hopefully North America loosens up on their censoring policy, as well. it seems stuffy, after what they allow out here.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
GenericPseudonym said:
So to those with the game is Saren a good villain or just some cartoonish dude who is angry all the time? Also for those who have finished it
Do the Reapers show up?

You love spoilers.

Saren is a pretty cool villain.

Not totally ridiculous or caricatured.

chespace said:
You love spoilers.

Saren is a pretty cool villain.

Not totally ridiculous or caricatured.

Its not really a spoiler they've been advertised since the annoucement of the game? I'm just wondering do they show up? Or are they just setting them up for ME2?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
lybertyboy said:
Want to know why partial nudity is listed on Mass Effect's rating? Here's a little nugget to get everyone ready for the new week. The first footage of the real lesbian love scene. Be warned though, this video does include a possible SPOILER.

http://gamevideos.com/video/id/16127

Four words.

Bow chicka bow wow.

Jirotrom said:
a guy on CAG forums is stating that there isn't a New Game+, He just beat the game, I thought there was a New Game+?

I guess when they said you could not get all the achievements in one playthrough it meant that some of the points you earn are class based.

Zzoram

GhaleonEB said:
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Ziff Davis Media/Gamevideos.com

They don't want us escaping the ads. I'd be happy to view on their site, but I can't find the non-HD flavors of any of these vids there. :(

sorry to bother you, but you tend to know things, are you in the industry? I'm a noob for asking, I know.

GhaleonEB

Zzoram said:
sorry to bother you, but you tend to know things, are you in the industry? I'm a noob for asking, I know.
Not in the indsustry per se, but I pay attention and have access to MS via the MVP program (MS community relations). I wish I were in the industry, believe me. Current career = fail.

Chromax

Just preordered the limited edition, even though I don't have a 360...

Guess I'll be getting one next month for sure now. ><

Nif said:
I'd been trying to find one, but they're mostly low quality versions of the boxart. I made this instead:

:O

I just got a new wallpaper for my PS3. Maybe someone can bribe him to make a Mass Effect Theme.

And to everyone that got this game early - I hate you. I hate you very much.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I just got a new wallpaper for my PS3. Maybe someone can bribe him to make a Mass Effect Theme.
Same. Had to scale it since it's 16x10, but it looks great with the icons from this theme

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gaf/themes/sample2.jpg
http://www.borgh.us/sample.p3t

and the fonts set to "Pop". The currently selected vertical icon is even highlighted by the planet's flare. Perfect match.

Nif said:

Very impressive.

Can we get a 1920x1080 version?

I'm currently half way through Blue Dragon and promissed myself I wouldn't play another RPG untill I beat it so Mass Effect is a day 1 purchase, but not a day 1 play. I can wait... maybe.

LukeSmith

Jirotrom said:
a guy on CAG forums is stating that there isn't a New Game+, He just beat the game, I thought there was a New Game+?

He's stupid. One of the guys on my friend's list started over with his new character to continue leveling up to 60 after he completed the game.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
How the fuck did they do it? What kind of audio compression are they using? I mean, nobody's complained about low-fi audio, right?

Baffling. Truly.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
jordan0386 said:
:lol wow...DVD9 keeping it real

The actual size of the game has been known for quite some time

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=554994

We did get a sneak peek or the main screen on the dev kit and the size of the game is 6.74 GB – well within the contstraints of a dual layer DVD-9. When you see how huge this game is, you’ll see that even future iterations like Mass Effect 2 and 3 with their upgrades will not have a problem with disc space.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
SnakeXs said:
How the fuck did they do it? What kind of audio compression are they using? I mean, nobody's complained about low-fi audio, right?

Baffling. Truly.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/xbox360/audiofidelity.htm

Independent Compression
Xbox 360 also boasts up to 320 independent compression channels. In layman's terms, this equates to a substantial leap in ambient world sounds (birds chirping, leaves rustling in the wind, gunfire from afar on a battlefield), allowing for a much more immersive experience, as more audio can be compressed without the loss of quality.

If you like to think in terms of numbers, munch on this statistic. The new technique (called XMA compression) allows for a compression ratio of 6:1 on the low side and up to 14:1 on the high side. Compare that to the Xbox 3.5:1 compression ratio and you get some idea of its significance.

Top Bottom