• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Belgorim said:
have fun waiting...

and btw... why don't you just buy a 360?

I like what the system offers but I dont want another game system... I got other things to spend my time on in life... Mass consumerism, bad no?

Anyway, I still want the game, if it is coming out on pc, I can get...comprende? This isnt a diss against someones beloved game system...simply, another person interested in a game

VonGak!

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
I like what the system offers but I dont want another game system... I got other things to spend my time on in life... Mass consumerism, bad no?

Anyway, I still want the game, if it is coming out on pc, I can get...comprende? This isnt a diss against someones beloved game system...simply, another person interested in a game

Well if you upgrade your PC then make sure to buy the next TotalWar game too.
I so want that franchise on consoles too... yes, with mouse+keyboard support

rubso

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
no disrespect meant by this...but I dont have a 360...but if I get myself a laptop, Im going to get one which will be able to run this game because....!!!....!!!!! looks/sounds/will be fantastic
Thanks for sharing.

rubso said:
Thanks for sharing.

hahah this is neogaf...how is this:

THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER, ONLY WITH THE POWAH OF XBOX 360! ROLLING THUNDER WOO

kids are a bit too sensitive, but I understand slightly given the trolling that this place can produce

and fuck yes Ill get the next total war game if I get a laptop

Lebron

some of you are too sensitive, it's not like Nelson is trolling. I get what he's saying, money(bills, family, school, etc) and time(school, job, family, etc) can make it hard to be a multi-console owner. Some can manage it, but of course, not everyone can. I miss the days when I was in grade school, I had endless amounts of free time and parents still bought me most of my stuff. Yeah, those days are gone:lol

Anyway, next week can't come soon enough. My Billy Dee Williams character wants his chance to shine!

rubso

Banned
Lebron said:
some of you are too sensitive, it's not like Nelson is trolling. I get what he's saying, money(bills, family, school, etc) and time(school, job, family, etc) can make it hard to be a multi-console owner. Some can manage it, but of course, not everyone can. I miss the days when I was in grade school, I had endless amounts of free time and parents still bought me most of my stuff. Yeah, those days are gone:lol

Anyway, next week can't come soon enough. My Billy Dee Williams character wants his chance to shine!
sure, he wants a gaming laptop ($1299+) and he can't afford a gaming console ($279.99) SURPRISE! SURPRISE!

Snaku

Banned
This was a triumph
I'm making a note here
HUGE SUCCESS
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction

Went to Kmart again (10th time in the past 4 days) and what do I find? :D

I only have and hour & a half before I have to leave for work though. I can get a taste though. For those in the Tampa Bay area, head over to the Kmart in Brandon. They only have a few copies left.

Lebron

rubso said:
sure, he wants a gaming laptop ($1299+) and he can't afford a gaming console ($279.99) SURPRISE! SURPRISE!
Yeah, that is kind of fishy. I mean it's not like he could use a Laptop for other things(school, work, whatever), besides just playing games. That's just crazy talk.

Anyway, it's pointless even talking about this really. Just be happy you(and myself) will be playing Mass Effect next week. Isn't that what really matters? :p

JayDubya

Banned
1996589916_b9de4666b0_b.jpg

If those bars mean what I think they do, this seems to confirm that Ashley is a Soldier, Garrus is an Infiltrator, and Kaiden is a Vanguard.

All of you lucky jerks people that have the game in hand, please do feel free to tell us about character customization and character classes, or at least me. ;P

Can you customize the skills of your team as well?

And lastly, does anyone know the general details of the New Game + mode?

Mudo said:
WARNING: I'm not going to spoiler the following but it does explain a little about some of the planets, if you aren't wanting to read about that.

Real quick before I head to work. I am about 22 hours in now, and been on around 5 different planets. So far I have been on a volcanic-ish type planet with lots of rocky terrain, a moon that has the starry night as its sky (obviously since no atmosphere), that is just as barren as you would expect. A frozen, snowy icescape of a planet, A temperate-on-cool-side planet with muddy slick ground. I have noticed most of the planets feature LOTS of very big mountains, amazingly most of which my vehicle the Mako can traverse. There are lots of hidden things to find around on the planets and the quests, MY GOD the collection quests are staggering. I am out there scouring for dozens of different things now. I have also run across a derelict ship and had to investigate (not main plot related) and have received an order from command to investigate a guy who has gone crazy sorta like the Waco thing with a cult.

Overall this game is probably my favorite game. ever. It does have screen tearing and framerate issues, and loads textures in noticeably, but wow that just says more to how amazing the game is that I can look past all that to how incredible everything else is. Oh, and in direct response to the above question, honestly the planets so far have not been "artistically" amazing. They really have been mostly deserted places with lots of rocky terrain and a structure sometimes, with scattered things to find like debris, ore deposits etc. This is how these planets are supposed to be so there isn't much I can think of they could have done artistically to them. I do have a feeling that the planets for the "main plot" are going to be more what you are talking about. The ones I listed are just off-the-beaten-path destinations I have stumbled across that are by no means even required to visit.

wow. great impressions

Draft

syllogism said:
So any impressions from people who thought Bioware's post-BG2 offerings have been lacking?
All you need are eyes to tell that if you thought KOTOR was a big step down from BG2, Mass Effect is not going to change your mind.

JayDubya

Banned
Draft said:
All you need are eyes to tell that if you thought KOTOR was a big step down from BG2, Mass Effect is not going to change your mind.

Yeah, Bioware has had a pretty big shift in game design. KotOR spearheaded a movement for getting away from minimalist graphics and reducing the length of game and lowering game complexity / adherence to traditional RPG structure. Neverwinter was kind of an inbetween.

Jade Empire was decent, but it represents the worst departure from the old model, as it was a simplistic and short game with lots of style but little substance and character depth, in either story or mechanics. No armor and few weapons, very few stats and very little customization.

Mass Effect seems to be a move away from Jade Empire's model, and blessedly so, but it is not a return to the complexity of Bioware's epic D&D games of the past. So yes, it will be like KotOR. That is not a bad thing, as KotOR was pretty fucking awesome, but yes, BG2 > KotOR, definitely.

And at least there's a new game + mode, lots of difficulty settings, and a high level progression to keep the hardcore entertained.

^^^

Or am I mistaken about that last point? I sure hope not.

Mudo

JayDubya said:
1996589916_b9de4666b0_b.jpg

If those bars mean what I think they do, this seems to confirm that Ashley is a Soldier, Garrus is an Infiltrator, and Kaiden is a Vanguard.

All of you lucky jerks people that have the game in hand, please do feel free to tell us about character customization and character classes, or at least me. ;P

Can you customize the skills of your team as well?

And lastly, does anyone know the general details of the New Game + mode?

Ok I will respond to the best of my ability since I'm at work and not looking at the skills right now:

You can customize the kills of your team. When you gain a level, the 3 people in your party all level up at the same time and get points to spend in the skill trees. You can choose to auto-level anyone you want to, or manually mold each person how you see fit. And let me tell you, you're going to want to do it yourself because of the sheer amount of decision-making to be done here. I was skeptical when I started, thinking the whole combat/levelling system was shallow compared to, say, KOTOR. It's not D+D based, but geez have they got something addictive here as well.

For example, I made an Infiltrator for my main character (whose last name is Shepard no matter what it seems - and for good reason. No matter if you are male or female, they call you Shepard in all the VA in the game which really does make it that much more immersive instead of dead space where your name would be....it's the little touches like this I tell ya. Back to my character, I have abilitites like Pistol for example. There is a bar with...oh about 15 slots maybe on it total, on some levels I will gain a new ability I can use in battle (DOT's, damage, increased accuracy+damage for little bit), and then at some points you will open up a NEW line that progresses underneath that one. I don't know if this is the exact one but say, Pistols could eventually open up Shotguns, or another weapon type. On levels where you don't gain a new ability or skill line, you are increasing damage, accuracy and/or weapon overheating.

Each character has their own "special skill line" also that gives really nice boosts to health, regen, and new abilities as well. There is a TON of customization just waiting. Also you can undo points you spent, UP UNTIL you leave that screen then it is set the way you have it.

And Ashely is a Soldier, yes. The other two, I don't remember off the top of my head.

A few more tidbits - The galaxy map is crazy. You have 4 zoom levels. Galaxy, then you get down to, say, the Hades Gamma Cluster or something like it. This then has "systems" around that you can zoom into, at which point you are in a solar system. This is where you can click on planets, derelict ships, moons, stations etc. When you pull up a planet you get a nice picture of it on the screen and a description of its surface, temp, lots of stats about it, any history and how it fits in to other events of the past etc. Sometimes that is all you get - sometimes, you can "survey" it and you will usually get some ore, mineral, ancient hidden text (quest item) and various other things. And then of course is the "land" option which means it's an explorable planet.

Once you are on a planet it's you and your Mako. You will spend most of your time on it since you can get over the mountains and craters etc on planets with ease. You have a boost-lift ability to launch you out over ravines etc that is fun but takes a little getting used to. Interestingly if you pull up your main map of the planet you can see where various things are located and set destinations so it appears on your mini-map , a Godsend really since you will be worrying about whether you can make it up that mountain up ahead if you're really crafty, or have to go around. YOu really can make it over most of them and it always amazes me, I'm looking at it saying no f'ing way, but somehow that Mako just makes it over. Once I decided to go around a particularly huge mountain, and was going along my merry way when there was a BLOOD CURDLING screech of death from behind me and the screen starting shaking violently along with my controller. I was like WTF. So I turned around....and there was nothing...barren silence all around. So I backtracked a little. About 15 seconds later I'm cautiously moving and some hell-worm thing launches up out of the ground and starts shooting some green poison goo at me....I downed it and got a load of credits and exp...it was very unexpected and amazing just like the rest of the game.

Ok, I've rambled long enough. If you want more impressions just let me know. I've got a lot just from the time I have already played

Mudo said:
Once I decided to go around a particularly huge mountain, and was going along my merry way when there was a BLOOD CURDLING screech of death from behind me and the screen starting shaking violently along with my controller. I was like WTF. So I turned around....and there was nothing...barren silence all around. So I backtracked a little. About 15 seconds later I'm cautiously moving and some hell-worm thing launches up out of the ground and starts shooting some green poison goo at me....I downed it and got a load of credits and exp...it was very unexpected and amazing just like the rest of the game.

That's....that's just supremely awesome.

dankir

Just a question to fellow Canadians who will be be purchasing the Limited Edition online, where you guys buying it? I can wait a week or so to receive it through the mail because I have so much already but I don't want to pass up the chance of landing a copy. Suggestions please.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Anyone else agree with me that this KMART leak is a bit... fishy? It could have been pre-arranged. Build buzz via word of mouth. Look at all the people here that have nothing but awesome things to say about the game. The best marketing a game can get.

Tobor

So I called Kmart, who told me they have a huge shipment of games today. Mass Effect could be in there, they aren't sure. They have to wait for the department manager to come in and unbox them, later this afternoon. Arggghhhh. Sounds like I'm driving out there this afternoon.

glaurung

Reading this thread has made me rather happy.

It seems the first excellent new-generation sci-fi RPG has landed.

Expanding skill trees... I mean, really great.

By the way, is there a stealth/rogue/thief class? Why is the male character kind of opaque on the screenshots?

VALIS

Mudo said:
WARNING: I'm not going to spoiler the following but it does explain a little about some of the planets, if you aren't wanting to read about that.

Real quick before I head to work. I am about 22 hours in now, and been on around 5 different planets. So far I have been on a volcanic-ish type planet with lots of rocky terrain, a moon that has the starry night as its sky (obviously since no atmosphere), that is just as barren as you would expect. A frozen, snowy icescape of a planet, A temperate-on-cool-side planet with muddy slick ground. I have noticed most of the planets feature LOTS of very big mountains, amazingly most of which my vehicle the Mako can traverse. There are lots of hidden things to find around on the planets and the quests, MY GOD the collection quests are staggering. I am out there scouring for dozens of different things now. I have also run across a derelict ship and had to investigate (not main plot related) and have received an order from command to investigate a guy who has gone crazy sorta like the Waco thing with a cult.

Overall this game is probably my favorite game. ever. It does have screen tearing and framerate issues, and loads textures in noticeably, but wow that just says more to how amazing the game is that I can look past all that to how incredible everything else is. Oh, and in direct response to the above question, honestly the planets so far have not been "artistically" amazing. They really have been mostly deserted places with lots of rocky terrain and a structure sometimes, with scattered things to find like debris, ore deposits etc. This is how these planets are supposed to be so there isn't much I can think of they could have done artistically to them. I do have a feeling that the planets for the "main plot" are going to be more what you are talking about. The ones I listed are just off-the-beaten-path destinations I have stumbled across that are by no means even required to visit.

:O

*faints*

Tobor

critch said:
The answer is no. K-Mart is well aware that the street date is next week now, and managers will not let you have it.

The people I spoke too sound pretty clueless. I'm rolling the dice.

Mudo

BenjaminBirdie said:
Out of curiosity, what are the boundaries on planets? What keeps you from travelling literally anywhere?

While you are travelling you can see really far into the distance. When you approach the boundary of the planet the minimap has a distinct line that is red, and everything on the other side of the line is colored red. I went into it once, because it certainly wasn't an invisible wall, or impassable mountain - the terrain just kept going on, and one of my guys warned me that I was in the "inoperable" zone or some such, but I stayed in it (near the border) for a minute or so and it didn't kick me out or anything. So I guess, watch for the red lines, you won't miss theml. I guess invisible walls may eventually appear, or the impassable obstacle, but not that I've personally seen yet.

A couple more random things - there is a Codex, with all pertinent information in the game's universe and history. Sort of like Xenosage III. It has a Primary and Secondary tab which are then broken down into things like races, planets, ships, techonology. The Primary ones (of which there are a ton) are all fully voiced by the narrator who I think has done an amazing job with the VA as well as everyone else I've heard. Secondary are text only, in fact the only "text only" in the game it seems. I have spent some times reading through it all and wow, they have set up a Sci-fi mythos with a robust history, complex races and politics and interesting histories. It boggles my mind to see what they are going to do with this through 2 more games. I mean, it could support much more than a trilogy - they have built up a literal Bible of freaking amazing-ness (no other description comes to mind) and I really, really wasn't that hyped for the game's story. It's non-comparable to anything I have experienced. I'm just dying to go to the places I read about and learn more about what happens/ed. On that note, you will come across people talking about this history, and how they were personally involved in it and how they played their part - and it's never alluded to in the story so far, I "knew" what he was talking about because I had read the Codex and was like WHOA you were THAT guy?!!

Little more. When you get to the "hub" of the entire game which is called Citadel (massive....indescribably huge ship) you will spend several hours doing the quests you find just there and exploring the place. Very neat location lots of crazy stuff going on there. You also start picking up quests like "I need you to go to this star system and track down these 2 crime bosses. Each has holed up on a separate planet and I need you to take them out" I won't detail that quest anymore it's fairly crazy and awesome.

Credits.....well I need way more than I have. I saw something in a shop for around 500,000 here in the beginning of the game. wow. Ok you can buy requisition tickets from vendors in the game and take them back to your guy on your ship the NOrmandy, and he will add their stock to his. Not every little thing, you see his stock changes constantly. He gets new things in and moves old things out, 1 of a kinds show up and disappear. It's a really cool, weird organic shop thing happening with your guy on the Normandy and I like it. You can only have 5 medi-gels in the beginning of the game at a time (restores HP on a character) You can buy upgrades to allow for more but after the 2nd upgrade it gets really expensive. Again on customization the equipment options are just stupidly staggering when you add weapons, armor, omni-tools, grenades, etc etc into the mix.

Mudo

If anyone wants more random impressions I will wait to hear the request, I've done a few now. If you have any specific questions I can answer, go ahead. If I don't know off the top of my head I can look after work and let ya know.

Mudo said:
If anyone wants more random impressions I will wait to hear the request, I've done a few now. If you have any specific questions I can answer, go ahead. If I don't know off the top of my head I can look after work and let ya know.
Thanks for all of the impressions - much appreciated. Can you talk (in a non-spoilerish fashion) about what character class you picked, how that's working out for you, and whether you'd change anything if you could start again? Thanks!

Mudo

Sure. I picked a female Infiltrator because the description of them sounded like they would be good at disabling/debuffing enemies and also allowed for some damage. I wanted something not too caster-ish (biotics) for this first character just until I get the hang of things. So far it's turning out well and I wouldn't have changed anything really for my class. One thing I do wish I had done is put points into Tactical Armor sooner to open up Medium Armor...it's important. Also, my First Aid was lacking and I probably should have pumped some points there, as each point ups the amount healed, and after 4 or 5 points you get the combat ressurection ability which is nice.

I will definitely try a more Biotic-centered class next though, they have some very cool powers/abilities, and you get a tank (Soldier) early on to alleviate me not being one.

Cool, thanks. I know that a few people here (including me) were debating between using an infiltrator and a soldier first time around, so your description is very useful. How's the sniper rifle working for you? Also, do you end up using your engineering skills very often?

Eric WK

Snaku said:
This was a triumph
I'm making a note here
HUGE SUCCESS
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction

Went to Kmart again (10th time in the past 4 days) and what do I find? :D

I only have and hour & a half before I have to leave for work though. I can get a taste though. For those in the Tampa Bay area, head over to the Kmart in Brandon. They only have a few copies left.

Ahhhh. Going to try calling mine again.

EDIT: No dice. :(

I'm so tempted to go to Kmart after work. Anyone in Chicago try the Kmart at Division and Ashland? It seems like a huge long shot, but you never know...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Jugendstil said:
I'm so tempted to go to Kmart after work. Anyone in Chicago try the Kmart at Division and Ashland? It seems like a huge long shot, but you never know...

Post your attempt! I'll hit up that Kmart after work myself if there is a green-light.

Jugendstil said:
I'd call and see what's up. Most of the Kmart's around me (Bay Area) are pretty wise to the street date at this point. They said a lot of people have been calling and promptly told me that I couldn't get it until the 20th.

Mudo

Cornballer said:
Cool, thanks. I know that a few people here (including me) were debating between using an infiltrator and a soldier first time around, so your description is very useful. How's the sniper rifle working for you? Also, do you end up using your engineering skills very often?

Soldier is what the book basically tells you to play first. I am not into the total tank mentality in games, I have to have something to mix it all up. Sniper Rifle I have only used 1 time to be honest, it worked fine and I really should use it more often but I have found the pistol to be much more effective. Now that you mention it, though, there are a couple quests I'm going to have to try a different approach with now. Hmm.

About Engineering, the ability trees I was given were Electronics and Decryption. It allows you to open doors if your level is high enough, or examine debris/ore nodes etc with a high enough level. A box comes up with the ABXY buttons on the controller on screen and they flash like that Simon Says game. You have to hit them fast, and without missing one, to open said door, or examine/recover something. On locked doors I have found if I miss, it won't let me try again and I have to use Omni-gel to open it
which you get from breaking down weapons and armor - they can all be converted to gel which is for opening doors/decyphering things you find and also for repairing your Mako vehicle
- but I have not tried leaving the planet and coming back that may work as well.

Otherwise I haven't done any more with Engineering and honestly am not sure how much more there is to do - I will definitely look into it when I get home and see if I am missing something there.

bran

Impression: you die a lot. I chose to play a Vanguard (bio+shotgun). My character dies in like 3 shots, sometimes 2 shots. I ran into some kinda sandworm, and it spits acid. The dune buggy that Shepard has dies in like 2 shots from the sandworm. That was crazy until I figured out that the dune buggy had a long range mortar in addition to the minigun or whatever. I was going in, spam some shots and the GTFO from the sandworm cuz it would literally GG me in a matter of seconds.

PS: I couldn't sleep with the consort. Maybe I need higher "Charm" rating or they removed teh lesbo sex scene from the game??? (i hope not)

Star map: http://i9.tinypic.com/86zjyhs.jpg
All characters: http://i8.tinypic.com/8c00awn.jpg
85y1aig.jpg

82cy3c3.jpg

iPhone camera look like ass, sorry.

Sallokin

I'm playing an infiltrator and I have to say I use the sniper rifle a lot. Assination is a pretty great skill at the beginning because it decreases the massive sway you have to zero for one shot, which if you've taken down your enemie's shields will just about kill them.

The one problem I seem to be having is that while exploring planets I'm coming across a lot of salvageable wreckages and my electronics skill is just not high enough to do it even though I've pumped massive points into it.

If anyone wants, I can rapid share a video or two of the galaxy map stuff later on in the day after I get off work. Or if anyone has any requests I might be able to do some. I'm only about 4 hours in at this point though so keep that in mind.

EDIT:
The one thing I did want to add is that while exploring solar systems, out of 7 planets you may only be able to actually land on 1 or 2 of them. The rest are either scannable or you can't do anything with them (at least not yet for me). Also, has anyone mentioned that certain explorable uncharted planets have hazards attached to them? Like the volano planet has a level 2 heat hazard and one of the terrestrial planets has a level 1 pressure hazard due to the atmosphere being 36 times earth norm. So for every second you spend outside the Mako your little hazard bar on the bottom of the screen fills up leading to your certain doom. Thought it was a really cool added touch.

Added spoiler tags for all the purists out there. Not really spoilerish per se, but I don't want to upset anyone.

Sallokin said:
I'm playing an infiltrator and I have to say I use the sniper rifle a lot. Assination is a pretty great skill at the beginning because it decreases the massive sway you have to zero for one shot, which if you've taken down your enemie's shields will just about kill them.

The one problem I seem to be having is that while exploring planets I'm coming across a lot of salvageable wreckages and my electronics skill is just not high enough to do it even though I've pumped massive points into it.

If anyone wants, I can rapid share a video or two of the galaxy map stuff later on in the day after I get off work.

Wow. I just added together Electronics Skill and Space Wrecks in my head.

Oh my.

Top Bottom