• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

JayDubya

Banned
Mudo said:
I will definitely try a more Biotic-centered class next though, they have some very cool powers/abilities, and you get a tank (Soldier) early on to alleviate me not being one.

Yeah, I'm kind of grumpy about that, actually. >_>

I want to use Ashley as love interest on the first playthrough, and I want Shepard to be a Soldier, so I guess that means I will end up barely using Ashley in combat and pretty much just leave her on the ship aside from romance dialogues. :lol

Unless there's enough room for customization to make two vastly different Soldiers. There certainly wasn't in KotOR. Well, yeah there was, there was melee and there was ranged, but even that's gone here.

GhaleonEB said:
I believe it equals 'awesome'.

If this game includes even one moment of an abandoned hulk of a space ship whose engines, lighting, and readouts hum to life because of MY superpowered hack skillz I will officially fucking die.

Preferrably with a few sutters at first and then VRRRRMMMMMMMM.

"Nice one, Shepard. Can we go home now?"
[Wrex, you absolute douche. Let me have my moment.]

Sallokin

BenjaminBirdie said:
If this game includes even one moment of an abandoned hulk of a space ship whose engines, lighting, and readouts hum to life because of MY superpowered hack skillz I will officially fucking die.

Preferrably with a few sutters at first and then VRRRRMMMMMMMM.

"Nice one, Shepard. Can we go home now?"
[Wrex, you absolute douche. Let me have my moment.]

Well I don't think you'll die, most of the salvaging/hacking stuff I've come across (non electronics skill related of course) has essentially been a button pressing mini-game that if done correctly yeilds you items but no change to the actual object you were targeting save for perhaps an opening door/compartment

Sallokin said:
Well I don't think you'll die, most of salvaging/hacking stuff I've come across (non electronics skill related of course) has essentially been a button pressing mini-game that if done correctly yeilds you items but no change to the actual object you were targeting save for perhaps an opening door/compartment

Then I am disappointedly alive.

Tobor

Sallokin said:
Well I don't think you'll die, most of salvaging/hacking stuff I've come across (non electronics skill related of course) has essentially been a button pressing mini-game that if done correctly yeilds you items but no change to the actual object you were targeting save for perhaps an opening door/compartment

close enough.

/dies

Sallokin

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah I could go for a classic door slide.

"SHUT THEM ALL DOWN!!"
[Oh no, do you hear them Artoo, they're dying]

There is a very cool side quest at the Citadel where you're
following a backhacked computer signal throughout the Wards and Presidium that eventually leads you to a sentient AI termial that threatens to blow you up should you move. It essentially turns into a game of "guess the button combination" to disarm his self destruct sequence but it was pretty awesome nonetheless.

Sallokin said:
There is a very cool side quest at the Citadel where you're
following a backhacked computer signal throughout the Wards and Presidium that eventually leads you to a sentient AI termial that threatens to blow you up should you move. It essentially turns into a game of "guess the button combination" to disarm his self destruct sequence but it was pretty awesome nonetheless.

Ok. NOW I'm dead.

This really is sounding like Spaceblivion in terms of quest variety.

JayDubya

Banned
So I guess the pictures above confirm that Ashley = Soldier, Kaiden = Sentinel, Liara = Adept, Garrus = Infiltrator, Wrex = Vanguard, and Tali = Engineer. One party member for each class.

So now, I've got a question regarding how you use your party members' skills both in and out of combat.

So for example there's a minigame for using engineering to unlock stuff. Okay... can you access that game using Garrus or Tali or Kaiden?

I've never been too keen on hybrids myself, so I'm thinking Shepard, Liara, and Tali will be my favorite team.

Sallokin

JayDubya said:
So I guess the pictures above confirm that Ashley = Soldier, Kaiden = Sentinel, Liara = Adept, Garrus = Infiltrator, Wrex = Vanguard, and Tali = Engineer. One party member for each class.

So now, I've got a question regarding how you use your party members' skills both in and out of combat.

So for example there's a minigame for using engineering to unlock stuff. Okay... can you access that game using Garrus or Tali or Kaiden?

I've never been too keen on hybrids myself, so I'm thinking Shepard, Liara, and Tali will be my favorite team.

I suppose it depends on what you're doing in the game and which quests you're working on. For example, there's a computer in the Wards level of the citadel that my character, Ashley and Garrus couldn't hack due to low skills, but I switched Garrus out for Tali and I was able to. When I explore planets that have pirate strongholds on them (or any enemies), I always make sure to take a heavy combat capable team because I know I'll have to get out of the Mako and kick some ass.

Hope that helps.

JayDubya

Banned
Sallokin said:
I suppose it depends on what you're doing in the game and which quests you're working on. For example, there's a computer in the Wards level of the citadel that my character, Ashley and Garrus couldn't hack due to low skills, but I switched Garrus out for Tali and I was able to. When I explore planets that have pirate strongholds on them (or any enemies), I always make sure to take a heavy combat capable team because I know I'll have to get out of the Mako and kick some ass.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I'm guessing if I'm going into a bigtime hot-zone on Veteran difficulty I'd rather have Garrus and Wrex instead of Tali and Liara. Or maybe take Ashley with Kaiden sitting back and healing.

As a Sentinel, I guess Kaiden can't wear armor at all or train in weapons skills, so I'm not sure how to best use him. Medic / Crowd control?

Also, do you the player get to fully customize all 7 characters and their skill points, or only Shepard's?

ckohler

I have a simple question about classes. If I choose to be an Adept does that mean my Engineering skills will always suck or that they simply suck to start with and can be built up full blast later (like Oblivion)?

Sallokin

JayDubya said:
Yeah, I'm guessing if I'm going into a bigtime hot-zone on Veteran difficulty I'd rather have Garrus and Wrex instead of Tali and Liara. Or maybe take Ashley with Kaiden sitting back and healing.

As a Sentinel, I guess Kaiden can't wear armor at all or train in weapons skills, so I'm not sure how to best use him. Medic / Crowd control?

Also, do you the player get to fully customize all 7 characters and their skill points, or only Shepard's?

I haven't really used Kaiden, but he can wear light armor because I've changed his Onyx armer out for a gladiator type I believe. Can't say too much about his combat prowess though because I used him for the beginning and that's it.

You do get to customize all 7 characters, but their skill sets vary depending on their classes. For example, Wrex can't train in Sniper rifles but Ashley can.

painey

does it matter if you have 2 soldiers? When I play i plan on having the 3 humans as my party including a default Shepard, will this make the game harder?

Mudo

If you run into something you need to open/inspect that requires some skill, all that is required is that any of the 3 people in your party has the sufficient level and it will let you proceed. I have hit some electronic stuff that said my skill wasn't high enough, and then gone back to the ship and swapped out with someone else (you choose your party each time you leave the Normandy) and then I was able to get whatever it was.

Screen Tearing: Yes, there is screen tearing. I can go most anywhere and wildly fling the camera around and see *some* tearing. It has not been an OMG RUINED XP thing for me at all though. Between that, the framerate, and textures popping in right after a zone loads, there are definitely some performance issue. If those are dealbreakers, DO NOT play the game. Otherwise, if you're like me, you will blaze right on through them into the amazement the rest of the game offers.

SSnake

Heads up for the west coast...

I just went to kmart in Pleasant Hill, CA and they had it behind the glass.

They only had like three copies after I got mine, so good luck...

SSnake said:
Heads up for the west coast...

I just went to kmart in Pleasant Hill, CA and they had it behind the glass.

They only had like three copies after I got mine, so good luck...
Almost worth the drive through the Caldecott Tunnel for me, but not quite. :p Thanks for the heads up.

JayDubya

Banned
painey said:
does it matter if you have 2 soldiers? When I play i plan on having the 3 humans as my party including a default Shepard, will this make the game harder?

If you're planning on using Ashley and Kaiden almost exclusively for most of the game, I would think you'd want to make Shepard either an Engineer or an Adept, and then focus somewhat strongly in those skills that Kaiden doesn't get.

So that would be, for Biotic Skills: Warp, Singularity, & for Tech Skills: Shielding and Reverse Engineering.

Of course, YMMV and if the game isn't super well balanced one or more skills might suck compared to others. ;)

sh4mike said:
Shockingly low.

columbo-1.jpg

Tieno said:
Lets not shit up this thread with review scores discussion. No matter the score, it always gets ugly.
I definitely agree. In fact, it might not be a bad idea to get a review thread up sooner or later so people can bicker over there instead of here.

Tobor

GREAT SUCCESS!!!!!

After trying 3 different Kmart's and getting shot down, I called the last one on the list. The one in the "seedier" part of town. The old lady said they had a copy and she would hold it for me.

The craziest part was watching her ring it up with the giant DO NOT SELL banner across the top of the box. She never even looked at it.

So thank you Gladys(I swear to god that's her name), you have made my week a hell of a lot better.

Dabanton

Bah us Uk gaffers have to wait until the 23rd to get our hands on this hopefully a few of our stores screw up and we can get it early.:D

Sallokin

MaizeRage25 said:
So, for those of you who have played the game, what is your opinion on the best player class to start off with?

I believe soldier would be the best and most well rounded, I picked an Infiltrator and that's proving a little challenging thus far. I would assume most of the biotic centric characters to offer the most challenge.

EDIT: I'm shocked at how many K-marts are still selling this. I mean the guy at my K-mart knew he shouldn't sell it until the 20th but did anyway because the computer let him.

Can anybody answer approx. how long it takes to get the requisite # of kills with a certain weapon/ability that allows you to specialize with it even if your class doesn't?

I want to use a Vanguard who can specialize with the assault rifle. I'm thinking about using a soldier until I get enough kills to open up that possibility and then starting over again to use my preferred character. However, I probably won't do this if I have to get 7 hours into the game first or whatever.

Well, I broke down and called the Kmart at Ashland and Division and the guy in electronics said the game doesn't come out till the 15th. Huh. It sounded like he'd been getting a lot of calls about it. :lol

S1kkZ

the german show "giga games" is showing the game right now.

looks awesome but texture reloading seems to be a huge problem. everytime the camera angle changes (in the conversations only) the textures reload.

music is awesome, i hope there will be a soundtrack.

german dubbing is very good (the main character has the german voice of clive owen).

Jugendstil said:
Well, I broke down and called the Kmart at Ashland and Division and the guy in electronics said the game doesn't come out till the 15th. Huh. It sounded like he'd been getting a lot of calls about it. :lol
Yeah, they don't seem pleased whenever I call. :lol It reminds me of the Simpson's episode where Bart keeps pestering the postwoman about his spy camera.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Dabanton said:
Bah us Uk gaffers have to wait until the 23rd to get our hands on this hopefully a few of our stores screw up and we can get it early.:D
I have ordered my LE online. Not too bothered about getting it early.

Top Bottom