• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

BeeDog

Bioware have always been pretty crappy when it comes to pure programming and polishing their games, but I'll be damned if their games aren't fun. Too bad I don't have a 360 so I can play this game; will wait for the inevitable PC version.

Draft said:
Save the sarcasm, fan beast. Bioware has made 3 console titles. Each one has had serious frame rate issues. I can't remember if KOTOR and JE had texture pop-in. I don't think they did. So if anything Bioware's getting worse at coding.

WORSE!

UE3 seems to be the culprit here if previous games using it are any indication.

Dyack redeemed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Draft said:
Save the sarcasm, fan beast. Bioware has made 3 console titles. Each one has had serious frame rate issues. I can't remember if KOTOR and JE had texture pop-in. I don't think they did. So if anything Bioware's getting worse at coding.

WORSE!
Mass Effect runs at a generally higher framerate than KOTOR and Jade Empire ever did AND doesn't have giant, ugly load screens every few steps (though there is still plenty of loading).

dark10x said:
Mass Effect runs at a generally higher framerate than KOTOR and Jade Empire ever did AND doesn't have giant, ugly load screens every few steps (though there is still plenty of loading).

the worlds are not seemless...?

Synless

Where can I find the last character in this game, it's a female in the middle next to Wrex I think??? where the hell is she???????

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bioware probably shouldn't have chosen UE3. :lol

anyway, the game is so great I am bringing my 360 home from college for the weekend. Honestly my backpack looks like I am going on a two month hike. It weighs like 50 pounds. Damn your excellency, 360.

ckohler

Someone should release some tutorial videos to make up for the complete lack of tutorials in the game. Seriously, you post some good tutorials on YouTube and I guarantee they would be on the top viewed page.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Y2Kev said:
Bioware probably shouldn't have chosen UE3. :lol

anyway, the game is so great I am bringing my 360 home from college for the weekend. Honestly my backpack looks like I am going on a two month hike. It weighs like 50 pounds. Damn your excellency, 360.
What else could they have done, though? Mass Effect is still a more optimized experience than their previous XBOX games were. KOTOR looked and ran like shit at all times. The environments were also extremely small and divided by repeated, lengthy load screens. It was a terrible engine.

Draft

dark10x said:
What else could they have done, though? Mass Effect is still a more optimized experience than their previous XBOX games were. KOTOR looked and ran like shit at all times. The environments were also extremely small and divided by repeated, lengthy load screens. It was a terrible engine.
You are right, there is less loading in ME. I kept waiting for a "loading" screen to pop up while I was traipsing around the Citadel, but it hasn't happened yet. Upgrade from KOTOR.

I'm still bewildered that they aren't using the HDD cache.

sh4mike

I enjoy the "elevator loading" mechanic. Much better than a regular loading screen.

The "enter room 5 sec load" sequences are less enjoyable, like everytime I go to the galaxy map after a story-driven com link.

Y2Kev said:
anyway, the game is so great I am bringing my 360 home from college for the weekend. Honestly my backpack looks like I am going on a two month hike. It weighs like 50 pounds.

Ha ha, I'm taking mine up to my parents for the weekend. My suitcase feels like it's filled with bricks. Stupid 10lb 360 power brick.

Doodis

I'm surprised at how weak the character creation is. Seemed like it would give you a lot more options. After 30 minutes trying to make a decent character, I decided to go with the default. My hero can't be fugly!

This game is going to take me forever to complete. I can't force myself to end any of the conversations until all the dialogue trees are exhausted. Between this and Rock Band, my wife isn't going to be happy with me the next few weeks.

Doodis said:
I'm surprised at how weak the character creation is. Seemed like it would give you a lot more options. After 30 minutes trying to make a decent character, I decided to go with the default. My hero can't be fugly!

This game is going to take me forever to complete. I can't force myself to end any of the conversations until all the dialogue trees are exhausted. Between this and Rock Band, my wife isn't going to be happy with me the next few weeks.

Me neither! Especially when XP is involved, dernit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
i'm talking to everyone too.

the conversation wheel is FUN, but I have one problem. If I hit X to advance the dialog, sometimes it picks the default wheel choice for me. that's not what I want.

Draft

Y2Kev said:

the conversation wheel is FUN, but I have one problem. If I hit X to advance the dialog, sometimes it picks the default wheel choice for me. that's not what I want.
I believe you can hit B to skip the spoken dialog and bring up the wheel without selecting anything.

Y2Kev said:

Actually my one gigantic complaint about the dialogue is that it DOESN'T GREY OUT what you've already asked. In investigation trees this is so misleading to anyone who's ever played something like Oblivion.

Draft

BY THE BY

I have decided that no matter how much I may end up enjoying ME, it can never, ever top the enjoyment I received from KOTOR, and that is because I cannot draw my gun and spin it around using Y while running around.

watership said:

I don't know either...

LockeEffectII.jpg

:D

Doodis said:
But I can't make him look like the most important person: me!
I just made a super hot girl. It's so awesome to be able to create a girl to your exact tastes.

She's got black hair and green eyes and her name is Lucy.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
The Lamonster said:
I just made a super hot girl. It's so awesome to be able to create a girl to your exact tastes.

She's got black hair and green eyes.

Wow, I had no idea you could slap a third breast on her. And make her 4 feet tall.

golem

Draft said:
You are right, there is less loading in ME. I kept waiting for a "loading" screen to pop up while I was traipsing around the Citadel, but it hasn't happened yet. Upgrade from KOTOR.

I'm still bewildered that they aren't using the HDD cache.
Gears doesnt either.. seems to be a UE3 thing.

Mrbob

I started a game last night with the soldier ability, but thinking about it this seems so boring.

I'll probably restart today with a mixed type character.

I hope my character creation stays, and I can just change my job type. I don't want to have to recreate this person again.

Lince

Banned
yup the collector's edition is finally out in Spain, got the call and going to pick up mine in 5 minutes!! I wasn't this excited about RPG games since Xenosaga, impressions later :D

Mrbob said:
I started a game last night with the soldier ability, but thinking about it this seems so boring.

I'll probably restart today witha mixed type character.

I hope my character creation stays, and I can just change my job type. I don't want to have to recreate this person again.
I started to feel the same way...until I realized the only way to wield assault rifles is to be a soldier.

armubaba

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'll keep an eye out for the perfect moment(s).

Surrounded by aliens with guns pointed towards him and a big explosion behind him (preferably of a ship dock) would be a nice oppurtunity.

:p

Draft said:
BY THE BY

I have decided that no matter how much I may end up enjoying ME, it can never, ever top the enjoyment I received from KOTOR, and that is because I cannot draw my gun and spin it around using Y while running around.

Ya, random cool animations like that aren't included. I hit Y like a madman just like you while playing KOTOR. It kinda passed the time between firefights and dialog trees.

Hunter D

Superblatt said:
Ya, random cool animations like that aren't included. I hit Y like a madman just like you while playing KOTOR. It kinda passed the time between firefights and dialog trees.
Did the same damn thing. Duel saber twirl FTW!

This game is really awesome. The only problem I have is with the pause menu. The equip screen is the biggest cause of my problem.

methodman

Banned
The Lamonster said:
but but but the manual says otherwise! Maybe it means initially.

I don't really even use my skills other then Marksmen with a Pistol. I'm a freaking Infiltrator and I've been kicking ass with my pistol because I rarely get to snipe so far. Sniping is fucking awesome in this game though

Hunter D - Yeah man, the Equipment menu is so weird. Why couldn't they just have lists like any regular RPG

VALIS

Hunter D said:
The equip screen is the biggest cause of my problem.

I am missing something? This seems to be a very common complaint but it seems real simple to me, so now I'm wondering if I'm missing something. You go to the Equipment panel in the pause menu, bring up the class of equipment you want (armor, weapon, tech, etc), choose the item in question, then press X to outfit it with special abilities.

That seems like standard inventory navigation in every game. I'm not sure how it could be further streamlined. What am I missing here? Are there deeper menu options I'm not aware of?

When did this come out?

I had a few people on my friendslist that were playing the game since yesterday (maybe even day before yesterday) pirates? or did the come out...yesterday.

widgetraf

Can someone help me out here. How do I make those blue hexagonal shield things I can use to take cover? Is that a biotic skill I have to learn?

Do my squad members use skill son their own or do I have to manually tell them what to do everytime? Can they heal themselves if they have first aid learned?

Munin

Problems with the inventory increase as you progress in the game. Later on, managing to keep your item count below 150 is freaking annoying. Because the game only tells you that you've reached the limit when you enter your inventory. Then you're presented with the list of new items and you have to convert them into omni gel until you're below the limit. You can't choose to drop them, so if you find a great item, enter the inventory and find out that you have to convert it into omni gel, you're out of luck.

Also, if you collect lots of low-level trash, and at a later point, want to convert it all into omni gel, it can get pretty annoying as well - not because you have to press Y for every single item, but because in the add-on screens for weapons & armor, after converting an item into omni gel, the list scrolls back to the top automatically. Since newer (and better items, i.e. those you want to keep) are listed first, you always find yourself scrolling down for minutes to convert a single item. Then do it all over again.

The inventory is really terrible, and I recommend anyone who has just started out to regularily clean out his inventory because otherwise it will become a fucking nightmare later on.

Top Bottom