• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Quagm1r3

GauntletFan said:
Ah gotcha.. not sure about that. I mean, you can pause and direct them to attack stuff and so on, not sure about movement.

I don't even know how to do that...

Damn, why no tutorial?

Munin

VALIS said:
I forgot to save and just lost 2hrs. worth of progress through Peak 15, including the reactor core puzzle and lots of inventory management. Nooooo! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Remember to save, friends. Remember. Remember! Don't wind up like me, holmes. *points to his scarred, gnarled face with a teardrop tattoo next to his eye*

Yeah, it's weird. I think I would able to count the number of times the game actually auto saved by itself on one hand, and even then it would mostly save before cutscenes, making it an even more frustrating affair.

In general, the game is full of little, yet puzzling design choices which you would normally expect to be avoided by a company like Bioware. Doesn't make the game any less awesome in the grand scheme of things, but...

Quagm1r3 said:
I don't even know how to do that...

Damn, why no tutorial?

If you press right bumper and choose a characters ability then you get a target pop up, move that and they will attack whatever you just targetted.

VALIS said:
I forgot to save and just lost 2hrs. worth of progress through Peak 15, including the reactor core puzzle and lots of inventory management. Nooooo! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Remember to save, friends. Remember. Remember! Don't wind up like me, holmes. *points to his scarred, gnarled face with a teardrop tattoo next to his eye*

word son

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why is the game 16:9 even in SD? This is the first time I've ever played a 360 on an SD TV and I can barely read anything.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't know what those complaining about the visuals are on, but holy shit, this game looks great. The presentation is really solid as well. KOTOR felt like a second rate game right from the start (though it WAS good in the end), but this feels like a high class act. They deserve a lot of credit for what they've achieved here. Oh yes, the film grain looks really nice to me, but for those who hate it, it IS an option.

The Jack Wall soundtrack also adds a lot to the experience.

Really solid game thus far (and, IMO, kicks the shit out of KOTOR).

Y2Kev said:
jesus god SD is hideous.
Seriously?

Heh, my friend is going to be pissed if true. He's going to play on a 20" SDTV. I don't think I should let him see the game on my Pioneer Kuro. :p

Y2Kev

Not hideous like in the sense that it's ME's fault.

It's just poo. I can't read anything easily, I lose so much detail, and I miss my big widescreen TV. But enough about me. :D

TheWolf

Banned
i hate some of the combat situations this game puts you in.
like i'm fighting this clone things the giant plant keeps spitting out, but they give you NO cover to hide when you're shields or health are low. and it takes forever for the heal button to become active again...

Because its an rpg, its not that easy to balance the game. True there should have been cover in that fight. Except i never noticed it because at that point in time my character was a lvl 30+ soldier so i was just killing things with a sniper rifle to rack up the kill count and didn't come close to dying once.

zenbot

Y2Kev said:
jesus god SD is hideous.
The difference between ME's visuals in SD and HD is staggering. I don't have a HDTV, but I've got a VGA adaptor and I sometimes plug my 360 in to my terrible 19 inch CRT monitor. It's not usually worth the trouble, but Mass Effect is like a different game in HD. It's amazing.

Quick questions from someone who is about 5 hours in:

1. What should I be doing with all the useless shit I'm picking up all the time? Turning it into Omni-Heal or trying to sell it?

2. What are the pros/cons for letting your squadmates use all of their powers (not just defensive powers)?

3. Any other vital information I should know about how the game works? I feel a little bit out of control in the firefights so any advice would help.

LukeSmith

dammitmattt said:
Quick questions from someone who is about 5 hours in:

1. What should I be doing with all the useless shit I'm picking up all the time? Turning it into Omni-Heal or trying to sell it?

2. What are the pros/cons for letting your squadmates use all of their powers (not just defensive powers)?

3. Any other vital information I should know about how the game works? I feel a little bit out of control in the firefights so any advice would help.

1. Cross reference it with your current gear, outfit characters that can use good weapons with good weapons. Omni-gel the rest. If you stay ahead of the curve on inv. management, it will be less of a pain later (but it's still a chore).

2. If your squadmates ONLY use defensive powers, then you are free to guide their offensive abilities. For example: I might have one character take an enemy's shields down and then have another character lift that enemy and kill it, but if they are using more than just their defensive abilities, when I go to assign their next "move" -- it may be unavailable, because they've used the ability without being told to do so.

Pros to that are: Getting more offensive help from your teammates.
Cons to that are: If you want to manage the battle, they might have used the abilities that you want them to.

widgetraf said:
A game with a combat system like this really needs a tutorial mission or something. I wonder why they left that out.

why does everyone think this doens't have a tutorial???

the first mission you go on there is a semi tutorial on what buttons do what..

or are you guys reffering to something else??

Y2Kev

At
Peak 15 hot labs
the framerate was kinda ass. But the story is getting really good so I don't mind. :D

ShutEye

Tieno said:
Yeah, I ordered the US version from play-asia. Still need to get AC which is backordered.

Play Asia often has small quantities of its Asian versions, especially when there is a region free version available from the US.

I ordered Mass Effect a month ago to make sure I got the Asian version (and save $20).

But I guess you can't hedge with a PAL machine.

CushVA

GenericPseudonym said:
Are LCE disks getting scratched? I just got mine today but won't be opening it until Christmas.

Packaging is different, they aren't attached to the tin portion. There's another insert that hold the discs

Grecco

TRU Still doesnt have this in stock. Bah.

Good thing Video Avenue ( A local rental chain) had it and 10 percent off to boot. Off to play it

Y2Kev

I am completely in awe that you cannot save AFTER certain conversations. Like conversations before boss fights that you need to repeat ad infinitum.

TheWolf

Banned
where are all the cool weapons/armor at? i keep getting the same stuff over and over and just omnigel it. my best pistol is the one i got from some dude on the opening mission. :lol

CushVA said:
Packaging is different, they aren't attached to the tin portion. There's another insert that hold the discs

So there's no chance of scratching? Its just I don't want to open up my most anticipated game ever and get a DRE.

tak

TheWolf said:
where are all the cool weapons/armor at? i keep getting the same stuff over and over and just omnigel it. my best pistol is the one i got from some dude on the opening mission. :lol
I've been doing a few side quest and I've noticed that you get really good items from a few of them, a lot better then ones I've gotten from the main quest. Granted, I'm only a 10 hours into the game, so things might change down the road.

Hunter D

The script and voice acting in this game is top notch. Bioware has raised the bar in those areas. I feel sorry for the rpgs that are released after this game.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
GenericPseudonym said:
So there's no chance of scratching? Its just I don't want to open up my most anticipated game ever and get a DRE.
Stolen from Che, earlier in the thread:

1938907883_7dde6c2664.jpg

No, it doesn't look like there's a realistic chance of scratching.

RogueHobbit

Neo Member
OK...is it just me or is it insane that there are people in this thread that have finished this game 1 day after release?!

How the hell do you people do it? I saw it done for Bioshock and Halo 3. OK, that's one thing (although it still raises an eyebrow). But an RPG? Do you guys come home with the game and play 20 hours straight? WTF?

For example, I looked up Massa's gamertag and he did the damn thing in two days. Looking at the achievements it looked like he skipped most of the optional stuff, but still...

Does anyone really stop to experience and savor a game anymore? Why the need to reach the end in one day? And are there no jobs/school/family involved here?

RogueHobbit said:
OK...is it just me or is it insane that there are people in this thread that have finished this game. 1 day after release????

How the hell do you people do it? I saw it done for Bioshock and Halo 3. OK, that's one thing (although it still raises an eyebrow). But an RPG? Do you guys come home with the game and play 20 hours straight? WTF?

For example, I looked up Massa's gamertag and he did the damn thing in two days. Although looking at the achievements it looked like he skipped most of the subquests and optional stuff.

Still, does anyone really stop to experience and savor a game anymore? Why the need to reach the end in one day? And are there no jobs/school/family involved here?

Beats me man, I'm 7 hours in and still at the citadel, haven't gone to one planet (bar eden prime) yet. I don't want to rush this experience, it's too much fun.

watership

RogueHobbit said:
OK...is it just me or is it insane that there are people in this thread that have finished this game 1 day after release?!

For example, I looked up Massa's gamertag and he did the damn thing in two days. Looking at the achievements it looked like he skipped most of the optional stuff, but still...

Does anyone really stop to experience and savor a game anymore? Why the need to reach the end in one day? And are there no jobs/school/family involved here?

Some people have had the game for over a week. Some people have played it from 10am until today. It's possible :p

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
RogueHobbit said:

Some people have finished it...what, 14-16 hours? Something like that. Depending on what you do, it's not a long RPG at all.

Kintaro said:
Some people have finished it...what, 14-16 hours? Something like that. Depending on what you do, it's not a long RPG at all.

I have no idea how it's possible to beat this game in 14 hours, methinks you're exaggarating.

RogueHobbit

Neo Member
watership said:
Some people have had the game for over a week. Some people have played it from 10am until today. It's possible :p

It's crazy. How? Is it the age?

I guess I'm old. When you are 33, married and with 2 kids, a 20-40 hour RPG is good for at least a month. Depending on how much gaming I can get in when the family is down for the night. Something like Oblivion can last until I'm collecting Social Security.

Perhaps at 15 or 16 it is different. But even then I remember having to go to school and having parents get upset over staring at a computer or TV for more than a few hours. It just amazes me. :lol (of course, no skin off my nose)

Y2Kev

Okay. :D Even though that section made me want to throw the game out the window, it goes back to conversations where you can learn about your crew and I just fall in love with it all over again. The conversations are really well done. ON SD where you lose some of the jaggitude/general image quality issues the game looks like a movie. Like it's amazing.

GauntletFan said:
I have no idea how it's possible to beat this game in 14 hours, methinks you're exaggarating.

Apparently a dev could speed run it down to about six, knowing where to get the best stuff, avoiding conversations, skipping cutscenes, running past battles and only doing what was absolutely necessary to finishing the main quest. Though that's not a good way to enjoy the game.

Zzoram

There is a ton of talking in the game, so people who skip it and avoid side quests can probably finish the game pretty quick. The real question is why they would do that, as the voice acting is pretty well done, and I can't get enough of the wealth of information available about this universe and it's characters.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GauntletFan said:

I believe someone in this thread had it finished in 16 hours or so. Or it was in one of the review threads for ME.

xbhaskarx

One more stupid question. I'm on my first uncharted world (Sharjila), I found a mineral deposit (not sure what that even did for me, but I got it), and a probe I wasn't able to deal with because my Electronics isn't high enough...
So now, uh, how do I leave and get back on the Normandy?

One more question: I didn't even use Garrus the Turian when I got Liara, but he's in my party now and his health is only like 40 / 177?

quaere

GenericPseudonym said:
Are LCE disks getting scratched? I just got mine today but won't be opening it until Christmas.
When I got my LCE, the bonus disc had fallen out of the holder. But, it was not scratched.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I've finally bought mass effect and turned on my 360 after months of no use. I almost forgot how loud it is. I have to admit the game looks awesome on my samsung lcd.

My character: Amanda Shepard.
DSC01332.jpg

Top Bottom