• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Hunter D

This is the best RPG I have ever played. It has raised the bar for the genre. Presentation, plot, writing, battle system, everything in the genre has been taken to another level.

I am going to play through as a biotic now. Ash will probably be a must since she is the best tank npc in the game.

I think that head shots count in this game. I think it deals more damage on the roll if you go for head shots. I used the sniper on my first play through and noticed that enemies went down easier if I shot them in the head.

Hunter D said:
This is the best RPG I have ever played. It has raised the bar for the genre. Presentation, plot, writing, battle system, everything in the genre has been taken to another level.

I am going to play through as a biotic now. Ash will probably be a must since she is the best tank npc in the game.

That or Wrex.

Quagm1r3

I've been holding back on this embarrassing question for a while but now I think it's necessary. How do you stick spoiler bars on text?

(Please don't verbally rape me)

Hunter D said:
Ash Can have more hit points than Wrex, can use all weapons, and has access to better armor.

Better armor is highly arguable, it really depends on your luck, as for weapons AR and a shotgun is all you really need.

Quagm1r3 said:
I've been holding back on this embarrassing question for a while but now I think it's necessary. How do you stick spoiler bars on text?

its [ spoiler] text here [ /spoiler] Just get rid of the space inside the []

Zzoram

Quagm1r3 said:

type [spoiler ] without the space, and end with [/spoiler]

Big-E

Quagm1r3 said:

[ spoiler] text [ /spoiler] just remove the space that I put at the start of the brackets.

Quagm1r3

Can anyone tell me what happens if you decide to save the people instead of the council in the ending part? I chose the other part and felt sort of bad that all those people died for 3 politicians who use big words.

Also, has anyone who has played through with lots of charm/intimidate points put in find the game harder, or even frustrating at times? I want to play through again on a higher difficulty but not if adding to speech skills makes the combat too hard.

Quagm1r3 said:
Can anyone tell me what happens if you decide to save the people instead of the council in the ending part? I chose the other part and felt sort of bad that all those people died for 3 politicians who use big words.
HUGE END SPOILERS!
The council is killed in a somewhat dramatic scene. The alliance takes a couple of loses but the reaper is destroyed. When the dust settles humanity is front and center taking the lead and filling in the void that the death of the council created.

It depends on your class i guess. My soldier has full charm and intimidate but the only thing i am missing out on are the pistol, shotgun, first aid. I am not finding the combat hard just yet.

Quagm1r3

Lostconfused said:
HUGE END SPOILERS!
The council is killed in a somewhat dramatic scene. The alliance takes a couple of loses but the reaper is destroyed. When the dust settles humanity is front and center taking the lead and filling in the void that the death of the council created.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Zzoram

DreamMachine said:
has anyone heard, how well this game is selling ?? any ancedontal evidence?

me and my 2 friends have it :lol

the real test is if it appears on Major Nelsons top 10 weekly list

uh, how the hell are you supposed to get grenades?

im at this section where I can only take out people with these gas grenades, yet I have no grenades...how the hell am I supposed to do this?

Grenades are on the back button. They are also in your inv slot so you can put in the gas upgrade for them. The grenades only show up in the equipment screen for Shepard.

But you can also use melee to avoid killing anyone in that mission.

Banned
I just finished the game in 25 hours. This game's so amazingly good and so fucking bad at the same time.

When it's an RPG, focusing on character and story, it's great, but it's combat is terrible. Just ughh.

I want to replay it, but at the same time I don;t want to go through the start again. Especially with the citadel. :(

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Quagm1r3 said:

Also, has anyone who has played through with lots of charm/intimidate points put in find the game harder, or even frustrating at times? I want to play through again on a higher difficulty but not if adding to speech skills makes the combat too hard.

what happens when you take the people route?
Cuz i killed the hell out of that council AND told the ambassator I did it so the humans can dominate

Lostconfused said:
Grenades are on the back button. They are also in your inv slot so you can put in the gas upgrade for them. The grenades only show up in the equipment screen for Shepard.

But you can also use melee to avoid killing anyone in that mission.

I know how to use them, but can you pick them up?

and can you ensure you are using melee? it is the same button as shoot, right?

Banned
Quagm1r3 said:

Can you tell us what happens if you save the council. Details, please.

I just finished the game in 25 hours. This game so amazingly good and so fucking bad at the same time.

When it's an RPG, focusing on characetr and story, it's great, but it's combat is terrible. Just ughh.

I want to replay it, but at the same time I don;t want to go through the start again. Especially with the citadel. :(

It's really not that bad.

I replayed through that part three times in a row and the third time was actually the most rewarding, heh.

Linkzg said:
I know how to use them, but can you pick them up?

and can you ensure you are using melee? it is the same button as shoot, right?

yeah its the same button you just have to be very close. And grenades are a random drop i guess, not sure about that sorry.

Banned
Digital Limit said:
It's really not that bad.

I replayed through that part three times in a row and the third time was actually the most rewarding, heh.
Yeah, Normally I would just hunker down and get through it, but I was planning on starting Assassin's Creed tonight.

I'll probably do it again when the holidays are over. By then the hype would have died down, and I can look at it more objectively anyway.

Robert R1

Banned
I did some of the side quests after escaping from the Citadel and now it won't let me return to finish em off.......I'm thinking, no way around this, right?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Linkzg said:
uh, how the hell are you supposed to get grenades?

im at this section where I can only take out people with these gas grenades, yet I have no grenades...how the hell am I supposed to do this?

Had tha same problem.
I just killed everyone

Lostconfused said:
yeah its the same button you just have to be very close. And grenades are a random drop i guess, not sure about that sorry.
Digital Limit said:
I remember reading that if you storm at someone it automatically melees.

I didnt try storming towards them, but I would be an inch away and sometimes it would fire on purpose, I almost killed someone...I wish they could have made it right analog click for pistols.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Hunter D said:

Agreed to the max - can't agree any more than that, seriously...

Best RPG I've ever played by far, and I'm not even a third of the way through yet I think...

I'm getting into lots of battles right now and loving it to the point that it's among the best tactical third person shooters I've played - way above GRAW, although there isn't much in the tactical third person shooter category anyways - I still love Gears' gameplay above it, but that's just on a preference level too...

It's amazing that a RPG has accomplished this, really - major kudos to BioWare for coming up with this and pulling it off...

And I swear that every person that I've read that talked about the ending has said that it's spectacular - almost makes me want to stop the side-questing just to see it, but I know I got a looooooong way to go main-storyline-wise before I get there...

And with that, I shall force myself into bed, as I actually want to get some sleep - this game is way too addictive... again, kudos BioWare!

bendak

I think I am almost done this first playthrough. I am currently at 35 hours and level 46. I am about to head to what I think is the last plot planet but I'm saving that for tomorrow.

I love this game. I can't wait to play through again and make totally different decisions and see what happens. This is probably my favorite RPG to date. I love the escapism - the world feels real. And you are really doing yourself a disservice if you skip a lot of the side stuff because some of the most beautiful looking planets are side quest ones or even ones that have no quests associated with them at all.

I've completed all those collection quests
and was disappointed to see that they just end there... you don't go talk to anyone, you just get XP and gold. Was also disappointed that after scanning all 21 keepers you dont get more information on them

Playing a soldier I've had a chance to use all the weapons, and I think my favorite overall is the shotgun.... simply because of how cool Carnage is. But also using the sniper rifle from half a kilometer away while on planets can be fun too. :D

I just bought Guitar Hero II and I only have three weeks of classes left until the end of the semester...Was hoping to hold off on Mass Effect to focus on school while playing Guitar Hero, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4 and Team Fortress 2, but my Friends List is popping off the walls with Mass Effect. The pressure!

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
besada said:
It does. You can basically dash at opponents and it auto hits them.
This game lags so bad, it's hard to actually melee someone in a firefight.

Just finished the game and it was amazing. I finally realized my teammates were a lot more useful turning off their auto-cast when facing the last boss.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Poody said:
This game lags so bad, it's hard to actually melee someone in a firefight.

Just finished the game and it was amazing. I finally realized my teammates were a lot more useful turning off their auto-cast when facing the last boss.

Does melee actually do damage?

I know thats a stupid question but there have been times where I'd be whacking away on something and it wouldn't do jack shit.

Theres room for me to be wrong about that on some levels, but with krogans i'm positive they are invulnerable to melee lol.

Fina1e

Sol.. said:

I know thats a stupid question but there have been times where I'd be whacking away on something and it wouldn't do jack shit.

Theres room for me to be wrong about that on some levels, but with krogans i'm positive they are invulnerable to melee lol.

It's very useful on Thorian Creepers, especially when you hit them before they spit acid.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I thought i'd screwed myself picking vanguard but once I got to the prestige class stage I just instantly became a bad ass, the better shotguns are just insanely powerfull, taking down geth prime shields in one mid-range shot! Then I just throw them off the map. it's gonna be tough picking any of the other classes for my evil lesbian playthough.

Spoiler

Did anyone save Kaiden? :lol

Banned
Ghost said:
I thought i'd screwed myself picking vanguard but once I got to the prestige class stage I just instantly became a bad ass, the better shotguns are just insanely powerfull, taking down geth prime shields in one mid-range shot! Then I just throw them off the map. it's gonna be tough picking any of the other classes for my evil lesbian playthough.

Spoiler

Did anyone save Kaiden? :lol
No.

Ashley is hot.

VALIS

Trying to get Ashley to sit on the face of my Shepard is a chore because she's kind of a bigot and snippy to boot. I don't like her, but hey, it's deep space, ain't much else going on, what am I gonna do, fuck that giant Lizard Rooster? Noooo thank you.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Sol.. said:

Yeah it does. On my last boss fight, I used Liara's lift power and Krogan would run up to him and stomp him--it was pretty funny.

mandiller

I think I got it easy on the final boss. The boss got stuck near a rock and wouldn't move or attack so I just kept on whacking away.

yay for bugs :p

Brilliant game though, I enjoyed it immensely. Now can someone please explain what happens at the end when
you save the jedi council?
I picked the other option.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
VALIS said:
Trying to get Ashley to sit on the face of my Shepard is a chore because she's kind of a bigot and snippy to boot. I don't like her, but hey, it's deep space, ain't much else going on, what am I gonna do, fuck that giant Lizard Rooster? Noooo thank you.

That was my philosophy. I'm not going near the Lizard Rooster.

And I kind of liked hearing her babble, even though she was all I LOVE GOD AND IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM I'M CALLING SPACE OPRAH

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat the game. I had quite a few side quest left over, but I was getting a bit sick of doing the same complex over and over again so I went and finished the main story. I was level 45 at the end and I clocked in at 27.5 hours.

I really enjoyed the game. Its definitely the best western RPG to come out in quite a few years. I'll probably take a break for a month or so and play through on another class. Does anyone know if there is new content available if you do a new game+ type of thing? The game was already really easy at lvl 45 and I couldn't imagine there being much challenge if I was to start the game at that level.

Anyway, it was a great game. I really enjoyed the universe and the story. I hope EA allows Bioware to take their time on the sequel and make something truly amazing.

Berieve

Banned
Loving this game. Have barely stopped playing it since I picked up the controller Tuesday, :lol .

Anyone know if there is an achievement for getting level 60? I got the one for level 50. Just wondering.

Big-E

Which mission do you guys recommend after finishing the first two of the three missions. Do I go straight to the date with the bitch or do I go to Virmire.

Berieve said:
Loving this game. Have barely stopped playing it since I picked up the controller Tuesday, :lol .

Anyone know if there is an achievement for getting level 60? I got the one for level 50. Just wondering.

yes there is.

sh4mike

Zefah said:
I had quite a few side quest left over, but I was getting a bit sick of doing the same complex over and over again so I went and finished the main story.
I completely skipped most side quests on 2nd+ playthrough. Bioware really dropped the ball here, with only 4-6 room layouts and lackluster rewards to compensate for the tedious galaxy travel, to Mako ride, to small set of rooms for another ammo mod.

Zefah said:
Does anyone know if there is new content available if you do a new game+ type of thing? The game was already really easy at lvl 45 and I couldn't imagine there being much challenge if I was to start the game at that level.
You'll unlock Hardcore once you beat it. Try that with a NewGame+ -- includes new enemy placements (e.g. rocket drones on Eden Prime) and enemies use plenty of offensive and defensive powers.

If you beat Hardcore, you'll unlock Insane. Supposedly it's worthy of the name (especially if you play the soft-skin classes).

The bulk of people claiming the game is too easy are sub-Hardcore level playing Soldier. Sentinel Harcore+Insanity screams manly performance.

Top Bottom