• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

p3tran

Banned
White Man said:
Also, don't forget, those side planets SCREAM downloadable content. I mean, who knows if they actually plan on doing that, but they would be perfect opportunities.
yeah, DLC is something that worries me. I want more than what was available for oblivion :D

LukeSmith

TheWolf said:
i'm level 42 now and just hit Noveria. i get the feeling that
The Matriarch is gonna be no match for my Elite Spectre Pistol with Level VII incendiary rounds.
:lol

i really hope there is some kind of special Spectre armor as well, cause the variations of the Spectre weapons are all kinds of rock.

i'll be spending A LOT of time making a character for another playthrough. i just wanted to start playing so i said fuck it and just used the default male Shepard.

How did you get the Elite Spectre pistol?

White Man

p3tran said:
yeah, DLC is something that worries me. I want more than what was available for oblivion :D

It doesn't worry me that much. . .if fleshed out planets are the content, I mean. The full game, it doesn't feel like anything was "cut out" to be DLC or anything. If I feel like playing more before the sequel comes out, it will be nice to have some new things there. I am never happy with TEH MILKING, but when a game is a pleasure to play like this, I certainly won't hesitate to pull out my dong and wallet if they make it worthwhile.

rebel^pudding said:
Im guessing make the sideplanets were the easiest part to make. it really is the same for all of them just different color, sky, and some atmospherics. It shouldnt be very hard to to make mountains with todays development software

moonscapes and the such are easy to make, but they're not just palette swaps like you're saying.

VALIS

I would guess DLC will be a new story planet or two, kind of like the ones now where there's one primary mission in several stages and a bunch of side quests off of those.

I'd really like to see them throw a whole bunch of uncharted planets into the mix, though. Just open up a new section of the galaxy map and give us like 20 new star clusters to investigate.

tenchir

I did the monkey paradon bug on Elentia. Lol. It's pretty easy to do, right after you click on the monkey with the module, immediately save, the load the that game. You can now click on that monkey to max out your paragon.

Aurora

Just got the game and I'm already 11 hours in. I'm surprised I even found the time to post here.

Fantastic game. The pacing is just perfect and I actually really enjoy the combat system.

Obvious complaints are the horrendous auto-save function and the bullshit item management. I've experienced no technical faults apart from texture loading though which is good.

Perhaps my biggest problem is the sheer lack of markers. They really should have added markers a la Oblivion. It's so frustrating having to read Journal entries to know where abouts a certain character might be, then having to go to the map and scroll through to find said location, and then finally arriving at said location and having to run around looking for the target. It would be infinitely easier to just slap a marker for me to follow instead of forcing me to spend time in the menus.

I'll live.

An easy 9.5 for me so far.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yeah, my only real qualms are with the inventory, the biggest one being that if I'm looking at a list of mods when I already have one equipped, there is no backing out button - I have to go back to the top of the list, which is the mod I have equipped, and then press A to accept the change and leave - they should just let me press B to back out, as B doesn't even do anything in the mod menu anyways...

Other than that, the game continues to amaze me, as I'm really exploring now that I'm doing some planet hopping and battling - I just love the combat in this game and managing my powers - I even set my teammates to handle things on their own and they do great on their own - good stuff...

Fina1e said:
3 million credits, and nothing to spend them on.

:(

Damn - how far are you and how much did you to get that kind of dough? I'm only now traveling to planets after spending my first 9 or so hours doing side-quests in the Citadel alone, but even still, the money comes in by about 1000 credits per long side-quest, and I haven't bought too much things, except for here and there...

Phthisis

Skilotonn said:
Damn - how far are you and how much did you to get that kind of dough? I'm only now traveling to planets after spending my first 9 or so hours doing side-quests in the Citadel alone, but even still, the money comes in by about 1000 credits per long side-quest, and I haven't bought too much things, except for here and there...

Once you start surveying ores on uncharted worlds, money begins to flow in. I left the Citadel with like 1500 credits and returned 10 gameplay hours later with 150,000.

SPEA

I just did the
UNC: Dead Scientists
side quest. It's telling me to report to Admiral Hackett. Where the hell is he?

Edit. Nevermind. Got it.

I'm contemplating what to do on my second playthrough

-Keep my same character and go for lvl 60

-start a new female(more attractive) with different class and history to use as my file that will carry over to ME2 (and relive my relationship with liara <3)

-make a male character and choose every asshole option

I'm thinking about choosing option 2, and this time really soak in every bit of the game. The first time I wasnt as clear on the story and the little bugs hindered my enjoyment

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Okay, this is a complete noob question here but How in the world do I get my squad to perform simple actions such as decryption?

Eric WK said:
Shit, I don't remember who sells it, but I bought it too.

By far the best pistol I've come across.
Spectre pistol is sold by the buddy in the Normandy basement. If the Elite Spectre is different than the Spectre brand, then I'm obviously wrong.

Eric WK

DY_nasty said:
Okay, this is a complete noob question here but How in the world do I get my squad to perform simple actions such as decryption?

Decrypytion/Electronics are used for crates/doors/artifacts and such. They're passive abilities so as long as one of the members of your party has the required skill in whichever talent, you'll be able to access whatever it is you're trying to.

The Lamonster said:
Spectre pistol is sold by the buddy in the Normandy basement. If the Elite Spectre is different than the Spectre brand, then I'm obviously wrong.

We're probably talking about the same one. I think he was just calling it elite because it's so good.

Gowans

Im level 20, just taking a vreak but still loving the game but christ I've been making it hard for myself.

I did the
Blue mama/Diana Troy first boss fight thing
at lvl 17 with no health and the shittest all chick party ever. Must have spent an hour just restarting that bit, screamed a few times and roared when I finished it.

Also on that lvl as I had nobody with no tec skills I could open nothing :(

Okay gentlemen, I've FINALLY tracked down the complete Mass Effect soundtrack. I have a sendspace link.

I respect the rules here, but I'm too lazy to read thru the fine print to find out whether posting this link is allowed. For now, I guess PM me unless that's not allowed either...

Any suggestions on the proper etiquette here?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Eric WK said:
Decrypytion/Electronics are used for crates/doors/artifacts and such. They're passive abilities so as long as one of the members of your party has the required skill in whichever talent, you'll be able to access whatever it is you're trying to.

Ah, Okay. I'm on my first few uncharted worlds and I came across this crate that wouldn't unlock for anything. I guess this girl's skill is too low.

On another note, combat is no joke. These firefights (especially the one on Tuntau, where I'm currently being screwed at) are just ridiculous at time. Halo skills are worthless.

DY_nasty said:
Ah, Okay. I'm on my first few uncharted worlds and I came across this crate that wouldn't unlock for anything. I guess this girl's skill is too low.

On another note, combat is no joke. These firefights (especially the one on Tuntau, where I'm currently being screwed at) are just ridiculous at time. Halo skills are worthless.
Gears of War skills pay off! Mass Effect is stop and pop, as opposed to run and gun.

arhra

Draft said:
That is not really my issue, though. At first, I listen to the spoken dialog, because it is kind of neat or whatever. Then, I stop, because I've got that hunger, that RPG hunger, and I just want to consume content. Because I am a product of the Catholic school system, I read much faster than these guys speak, and I start skipping the second half of all the dialog snippets, which is fine, until the response tree LEAPS OUT OF NOWHERE and before I know it I told the blue girl to fuck off instead of to fuck me.
Press A as soon as someone starts speaking. If you'll get to respond at the end, it'll bring up the dialog wheel early (and then you can select your response and skip). If it doesn't, you can safely hit X to skip ahead to the next line.

MaizeRage25 said:
Random question here, but does anyone know where you can find the Chemical Rounds for the shotgun?
Just keep playing. You find so much special ammo just by killing things/looting chests/etc it's insane, you won't have any trouble finding some chem rounds sooner or later.

The Lamonster said:

The C-Sec shop has the Spectre branded weapons too, Pistol/Shotgun/Sniper/Assault. All of those are cheap considering they're awesome(think it was around 300k/weapon).

I had the assault gun on my Shepard and the other teammates has shotgun and pistol.

Groups dps went through the roof when I changed to Spectre gear instead of the stuff I had before.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Phthisis said:
Once you start surveying ores on uncharted worlds, money begins to flow in. I left the Citadel with like 1500 credits and returned 10 gameplay hours later with 150,000.

I can imagine that - it's just that he's at the point that he has 3 mil and nothing to do with it is what has me surprised... :lol

Eric WK

L0st Id3ntity said:
The Fan - Citadel

I rejected him, so he ran away.

How do I complete this quest now?

I accepted him and also don't know how to complete the quest. If anyone can shed some light, that would be fantastic.

KRS7

Been playing for a while now, damn this game is fun. Few questions though. Are all the planets so mountainous? Smooth plains on every planet would be ridiculous, but I feel that Joker is dropping me off in the middle of each planets version of the Himalayas. Secondly, is there any missions that are time critical? So far it seems I can play any of the journal's missions in any order without affecting others. In other words, if I keep ignoring a mission could it disappear? Lastly, are husks considered organics or synthetics? Thanks.

Eric WK said:
I accepted him and also don't know how to complete the quest. If anyone can shed some light, that would be fantastic.
Me too, I noticed that in my log, so I went to speak to him again. Couldn't figure out what to do...

Eric WK

KRS7 said:
Been playing for a while now, damn this game is fun. Few questions though. Are all the planets so mountainous? Smooth plains on every planet would be ridiculous, but I feel that Joker is dropping me off in the middle of each planets version of the Himalayas. Secondly, is there any missions that are time critical? So far it seems I can play any of the journal's missions in any order without affecting others. In other words, if I keep ignoring a mission could it disappear? Lastly, are husks considered organics or synthetics? Thanks.

Wow. All I think about when I land is "fuck, more mountains." And I don't think time matters. I've been doing a ton of side stuff in between story missions and haven't noticed anything change. Not sure about husks, though.

Eric WK said:
Just visit the market every time you complete a story mission he will be there.

Someone said you get new weapons with new game+ is this true or are these people just dirty filthy liars? Because I don't see shit.

I'm going to wade right into the middle of an official thread and ask;

Do the technical faults in this game ruin the experience? I was really looking forward to this game, I figured that it would be the antidote the disappointment that surrounded Assassin's Creed, but it seems that I only seem to read negative things about clipping, framerate, tearing etc....

Am I simply reading too much into the technical drawbacks, or do they really interfere with the gameplay?

sionyboy said:

Do the technical faults in this game ruin the experience? I was really looking forward to this game, I figured that it would be the antidote the disappointment that surrounded Assassin's Creed, but it seems that I only seem to read negative things about clipping, framerate, tearing etc....

Am I simply reading too much into the technical drawbacks, or do they really interfere with the gameplay?

Those are minor problems, and it's really all people have to complain about.

If you enjoyed Oblivion or KOTOR, you owe it to yourself as a gamer to experience my pick of GOTY.

squicken

Finished, clocking in at just under 40 hours. I play RPGs really slow though, so I don't know if that 14 hours number is feasible or not. You guys have all hit upon my biggest complaints. I was so bummed to see all those cutscenes not have their textures load in until halfway through. And although I loved the side quests, the planets and "dungeons" just all started looking the same afterwards.

I think it would have been nice to see the cinematics done as videos, but using in game assets. I know that's probably a storage issue. What I'm not sure of is if the repition of all the planets was a function of the art pipeline or of the storage medium.

But all those issues aside, WOW. What a great game. The Bioware guys have got themselves a great universe to explore. The quality the writing of the codex and dialog was incredible. I just hope they can look at the feedback and fix the issues for ME2 or whatever expansions they have planned.

sionyboy said:

If you were able to get through KOTOR II's technical faults, then you can get through ME's. I only had 1 or 2 instances where I felt like I died b/c of the framerate/slowdown.

The Lamonster said:
Those are minor problems, and it's really all people have to complain about.

If you enjoyed Oblivion or KOTOR, you owe it to yourself as a gamer to experience my pick of GOTY.

I loved KOTOR, but never bothered with Oblivion. I'm not that much of an RPG person although KOTOR is one exception to the rule (probably due to the Jedi thing).

Perhaps I'm reading to much into the problems. The combat system never really grabbed me, but the amount of complaints from reviewers over the technical issues did cause me some concern. I wasn't expecting perfection (it is BioWare after all) but it has seemed like they missed the mark on a number of issues. But then again, perhaps I'm listening to much to the 'doom and gloom' crowd, rather than taking the time to read through people's impressions here.

Another reason why developers need to get demo's out for new IPs.

Belgorim

squicken said:
I think it would have been nice to see the cinematics done as videos, but using in game assets. I know that's probably a storage issue. What I'm not sure of is if the repition of all the planets was a function of the art pipeline or of the storage medium.
Well, it is somewhat because of storage medium, but also... there is no way for them to show different sets of equipment if the videos are pre-rendered (unless they make 40 version of all videos with all different kind of equipment combinations, but then we are back to storage issues).

sionyboy said:
I loved KOTOR, but never bothered with Oblivion. I'm not that much of an RPG person although KOTOR is one exception to the rule (probably due to the Jedi thing).

Perhaps I'm reading to much into the problems. The combat system never really grabbed me, but the amount of complaints from reviewers over the technical issues did cause me some concern. I wasn't expecting perfection (it is BioWare after all) but it has seemed like they missed the mark on a number of issues. But then again, perhaps I'm listening to much to the 'doom and gloom' crowd, rather than taking the time to read through people's impressions here.

Another reason why developers need to get demo's out for new IPs.
The good outweighs the bad. Trust me. I'm sure most people here would agree with that.

If you were able to get through KOTOR II's technical faults, then you can get through ME's. I only had 1 or 2 instances where I felt like I died b/c of the framerate/slowdown.

I played through KOTOR II on the PC, about 6 months after it was released. I can't recall any problems within the game to be honest, though considering how rushed the game was I'm guessing the Xbox version didn't fare too well.

Top Bottom