• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Munin said:
And, you know, custom faces and all.

And your chosen armor...

...and your chosen weapons...

...and your chosen teammates...

...and your chosen teammates' armor, etc. - basically, alot.

squicken

hahahaha I completely forgot about all the customization stuff. I've never been a fan of the create a face that people seem to love. I just used the default male character. But even then the weapons and armor would still make that a problem. Oh well. I was still annoyed at some of the major plot related cinematics having more time w/o textured loaded than with them. But it wasn't a game breaker or anything.

Mark D

Finished my first play through last night. I did every sidequest and ending up clocking in about 24 hours. Starting my second go-around tonight, and I'm going to be as big of an asshole possible. :D

A few things about the ending have left me wondering about the sequel.
My brain can't grasp how the decisions you make at the end of the game will be reflected in the sequel, i.e. saving or killing the council, choosing the captain or the ambassador to take a chair in the council. Will the sequel really know which decision you made and reflect that throughout the rest of the trilogy? That seems like a lot of possibilities that Bioware will have to account for... think of all the variations of cutscenes they will have to make. If they can pull it off, that is one hell of a major achievement in immersing the player into their own personal experience with the game.

Draft

I just cleared the second "story" planet, leaving me at least one more (and from what I'm reading in this thread, at least one more after that.)

Questions about this game's length can be put to bed. There is a silly amount of content in this game. It's just that half of it is sidequests on galactic backwaters, and can be easily ignored by someone who is only interested in doing the main missions.

But Jesus, you are missing out if you do.

TheWolf

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Spectre pistol is sold by the buddy in the Normandy basement. If the Elite Spectre is different than the Spectre brand, then I'm obviously wrong.

yeah, it's just he Spectre brand pistol. i don't know how you unlock it, but the dude near Ash and Wrex sells it. i assume you have to have bought enough licenses.

TheWolf said:
yeah, it's just he Spectre brand pistol. i don't know how you unlock it, but the dude near Ash and Wrex sells it. i assume you have to have bought enough licenses.
Probably has to do with level or licenses or both.

Havok

TheWolf said:

It's tied to the "Rich" Achievement, apparently (amass 1,000,000 credits). After it unlocks both the C-Sec and Normandy quartermasters sell Spectre equipment.

About to leave the Citadel now on Playthrough #3, Hardcore difficulty (which doesn't really make the game that much harder, IMO).

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I assume there is a way to save Wrex? If so, how? I want to keep him around on my second playthrough.

Havok

Spire said:
I assume there is a way to save Wrex? If so, how? I want to keep him around on my second playthrough.

Using the Charm or Intimidate options, but you have to actively pour points into one of them before you get there for the option to exist.

TheWolf

Banned
Havok said:
Using the Charm or Intimidate options, but you have to actively pour points into one of them before you get there for the option to exist.

yup, did that and got an achievement for it as well!

i don't even know how i amassed a million credits. i never sell stuff back. :lol

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Havok said:

What I figured.
And I let that Ashley bitch die for what she did. Wrex was the best character I had. :(

Kabouter

Skilotonn said:
Damn - how far are you and how much did you to get that kind of dough? I'm only now traveling to planets after spending my first 9 or so hours doing side-quests in the Citadel alone, but even still, the money comes in by about 1000 credits per long side-quest, and I haven't bought too much things, except for here and there...
By the end you'l be getting 6000+ for shooting a single enemy (and they go down with a single good shotgun blast)

Spire said:
What I figured.
And I let that Ashley bitch die for what she did. Wrex was the best character I had. :(
I just killed off Kaiden, I never once used him in combat. Still didn't like having to kill off either though :(. But eh, aside from the fact that I used Ashley for nearly all the missions in the game, I also was going for the ridiculously inappropriate lovemaking thing with her.

Ok people read the achievement descriptions in the game in the main menu screen. To unlock specter master gear weapons you need to get the rich achievement which is "get 1 million credits" because the full set costs about 1mil. Then you can either buy these weapons from the Alliance Requisitions officer on the Normandy or the C-Sec supply officer on the citadel. Yes you can buy these weapons multiple times, i have 3 full sets for my main party members.

edit: I didn't mean to sound irritated its just that most achievements give you some kind of bonuses in the game like increase HP/armor/xp by 5% reduce cool downs of certain abilities and such. The descriptions are in the game menu, i am sorry i dont have the full list.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Hostile takeover quest help requested

so i kill both crime boss, went to amaranthine planet to meet with helena blake, at her base i tried to arrest her since im playing goodie on this playrun, but a field appears in front of the door and well im stuck, how do i get passed it?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Wow - for those who land on a planet and see like three points of interest and think that's it - well, guess again - just finished a mission on the planet Presrop, the one with the cult leader in the Century System in the Hawking Eta cluster, and there were only three things showing on the map - then I decided to set some waypoints and explore a bit, and those numbers more than doubled, and are still rising... and now I'm fighting some more beasts after killing off a Geth camp that still doesn't show up on the map, as well as more minerals and so on...

Lucky this is only my third planet so I can go back to re-explore those, and make sure to thoroughly search any other planet I land on from here on out!

Kabouter said:
By the end you'l be getting 6000+ for shooting a single enemy (and they go down with a single good shotgun blast)

Cool...

What wasn't cool was that I accidentally spoiled myself twice with a few of the spoilers posted here... darn... :(

Darkman M

I said wow when i landed on Luna that was just beautiful how you can just see earth from beyond:D . This might be my fav next-gen game so far.

Buggy Loop said:
Hostile takeover quest help requested

so i kill both crime boss, went to amaranthine planet to meet with helena blake, at her base i tried to arrest her since im playing goodie on this playrun, but a field appears in front of the door and well im stuck, how do i get passed it?

Did you try shooting it, if that doesnt work check the journal.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Skilotonn said:
Wow - for those who land on a planet and see like three points of interest and think that's it - well, guess again - just finished a mission on the planet Presrop, the one with the cult leader in the Century System in the Hawking Eta cluster, and there were only three things showing on the map - then I decided to set some waypoints and explore a bit, and those numbers more than doubled, and are still rising... and now I'm fighting some more beasts after killing off a Geth camp that still doesn't show up on the map, as well as more minerals and so on...

Lucky this is only my third planet so I can go back to re-explore those, and make sure to thoroughly search any other planet I land on from here on out!

Cool...

What wasn't cool was that I accidentally spoiled myself twice with a few of the spoilers posted here... darn... :(

I quite liked this side mission. I charmed my way in and everything was sweet.

Kittonwy

Banned
RumFore said:
Do you have a smiley for everything?

Wait until Christmas.
Indifferent2.gif

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Y2Kev said:
I quite liked this side mission. I charmed my way in and everything was sweet.

Yup - me too - and I had a good feeling that I'd probably have to end up shooting my way out of that one had I not boosted my charm all the way too the max - I love how the game really gives you these choices - they weren't bs'ing on this aspect of the game at all...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Skilotonn said:
Yup - me too - and I had a good feeling that I'd probably have to end up shooting my way out of that one had I not boosted my charm all the way too the max - I love how the game really gives you these choices - they weren't bs'ing on this aspect of the game at all...

well, i kinda did anyway. i accidentally hit RB and threw some woman in the air :lol :lol

This game length elitism needs to stop.

I was totally hooked by the main story and wanted to see its arc relatively uninterrupted and "finished" the game in 15 hours. If you are role playing do you really think your going to go gallivanting off into the galaxy with a threat like the Reapers looming? No. You get the fucking job done.

I'm saving the majority of the side quests and exploration for my second play through.

This is how I'm choosing to play the game, and I love it when developers give you that choice. For all those saying that people who have played through in less than 40 hours are "not playing it right" can go STFU.

Subarushian said:
This game length elitism needs to stop.

I was totally hooked by the main story and wanted to see its arc relatively uninterrupted and "finished" the game in 15 hours. If you are role playing do you really think your going to go gallivanting off into the galaxy with a threat like the Reapers looming? No. You get the fucking job done.

I'm saving the majority of the side quests and exploration for my second play through.

This is how I'm choosing to play the game, and I love it when developers give you that choice. For all those saying that people who have played through in less than 40 hours are "not playing it right" can go STFU.

Its not that its about people trying to say this game is flawed because of its length. Or at least i think thats how it originally started.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mark D said:
A few things about the ending have left me wondering about the sequel.
My brain can't grasp how the decisions you make at the end of the game will be reflected in the sequel, i.e. saving or killing the council, choosing the captain or the ambassador to take a chair in the council. Will the sequel really know which decision you made and reflect that throughout the rest of the trilogy? That seems like a lot of possibilities that Bioware will have to account for... think of all the variations of cutscenes they will have to make. If they can pull it off, that is one hell of a major achievement in immersing the player into their own personal experience with the game.

This is my number question about this trilogy. It's also why I'm skeptical about all the "decisions" amounting up to anything worth a shit. If they can pull it off, awesome. I have my doubts.

Lostconfused said:
Its not that its about people trying to say this game is flawed because of its length. Or at least i think thats how it originally started.

No its mostly "oh you beat it in 15 hours? lol ur not playing it rite!"

This is my number question about this trilogy. It's also why I'm skeptical about all the "decisions" amounting up to anything worth a shit. If they can pull it off, awesome. I have my doubts.

You will be able to transfer you character from the first game to the sequels, this will keep track of all your decisions.

If you start a new character for the sequels then it will likely revert to some default story decisions.

Subarushian said:
No its mostly "oh you beat it in 15 hours? lol ur not playing it rite!"

well if thats what you think

Subarushian said:
You will be able to transfer you character from the first game to the sequels, this will keep track of all your decisions.

If you start a new character for the sequels then it will likely revert to some default story decisions.

Except you can make those decisions several times over with new game+. I guess they might be using your latest ones. But even then its not easy to make a storyline, visuals, audio for all the possibilities.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Subarushian said:

I'll still believe it when I see it. =)

Lostconfused said:
well if thats what you think

One example:

Yeah, the whole 14 hours thing seems insane to me. They had to have rushed through as fast as possible or something.I can't imagine doing that with this game.

----

Lostconfused said:
Except you can make those decisions several times over with new game+. I guess they might be using your latest ones. But even then its not easy to make a storyline, visuals, audio for all the possibilities.

True. I'm thinking the game might keep track of what decisions you made on your first playthrough and treats those as canon, they might judge decisions on subsequent playthroughs as just experimenting with different solutions.

Still it must be mind-numbingly complex for the writers.

Quagm1r3

Just finished my first playthrough...

Oh my god!

That was the most intense ending of a game I've ever experienced. It had resolution, but was set up for a sequel. I hope they turn this into a franchise.

JdFoX187

Banned
Quagm1r3 said:
Just finished my first playthrough...

Oh my god!

That was the most intense ending of a game I've ever experienced. It had resolution, but was set up for a sequel. I hope they turn this into a franchise.
It's a trilogy.

Quagm1r3

TheWolf said:

I don't really understand the licenses in this game. Do weapons/items just suddenly appear that weren't there before if you have enough licenses or what?

EDIT:
It's a trilogy

Sweet...

Lostconfused said:
Do i have to dig through this thread to provide examples for my statement?

Uh, not if you don't want to. There are certainly some types in here playing the "the game is too short! You could finish the game in 7 hours!" card. Which is a ridiculous misrepresentation.

Just that the prevailing theme is you must complete the game in 30+ hours or your doing it wrong, which couldn't be further from the truth.

TheWolf

Banned
yeah, i kind of want a patch/DLC, but i also want them to get to work on Mass Effect 2.

i hope EA lets them keep their vision...

Subarushian said:
Uh, not if you don't want to. There are certainly some types in here playing the "the game is too short! You could finish the game in 7 hours!" card. Which is a ridiculous misrepresentation.

Just that the prevailing theme is you must complete the game in 30+ hours or your doing it wrong, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Oh i agree with what you are saying. Its just that i think some people are being defensive about the game length rather then elitist, well maybe some are.

TheWolf said:
yeah, i kind of want a patch/DLC, but i also want them to get to work on Mass Effect 2.

My hope is placed in an iron clad contract with microsoft that may or may not exist.

Quagm1r3

Subarushian said:

I agree. I completed it in 20 hours after doing quite a few side quests and the main quest. Honestly, if I had done any less, I would've thought the experience was rushed. Any more and, well, the main quest was so awesome I couldn't stand to wait any longer :D

Quagm1r3

Big-E said:
If we are going to see more games they better allow us to transfer our character profile to the sequels.

I don't care too much about that. I like starting fresh; especially if RPG sequels have new classes, which they often do.

EDIT:

Bioware is a part of EA? When did this happen???

Quagm1r3 said:
I agree. I completed it in 20 hours after doing quite a few side quests and the main quest. Honestly, if I had done any less, I would've thought the experience was rushed. Any more and, well, the main quest was so awesome I couldn't stand to wait any longer :D

Yeah, the story is so well plotted and paced its an amazing achievement of Biowares part.

One of my main problems with KOTOR was after the first world the game kinda went flat until
you are hijacked and captured
, There was no such lull in Mass Effect. All of the main story worlds are so well designed I just had to keep going to the next one. Noveria and Virmire in particular were absolutely astounding in terms of their story and design.

Which is what makes all the technical and interface problems no more than minor annoyances in the face of such great narrative.

pringles

I've played for 12hrs and I'm still on the mission(s) you get right when you become a spectre.. every damn corner I turn new sidequests pop up.
Currently I'm travelling around exploring planets and shit, I'm in no rush to continue on with the mainquest.
Loving the game so far, it's like the best parts of Kotor (and unfortunately some of the worst) with a ton of awesome added.
Still haven't really "figured out" combat though..
I'm beginning to regret my choice of being an "Infiltrator", sniper+pistol doesn't feel like the best combination in most battles...

Yeah, Infiltrators kind of get the shaft for close range, and the sniper rifle isn't necessarily necessary given Marksmanship is complete ranged rape.

Quagm1r3

Lostconfused said:
Ok people read the achievement descriptions in the game in the main menu screen. To unlock specter master gear weapons you need to get the rich achievement which is "get 1 million credits" because the full set costs about 1mil. Then you can either buy these weapons from the Alliance Requisitions officer on the Normandy or the C-Sec supply officer on the citadel. Yes you can buy these weapons multiple times, i have 3 full sets for my main party members.

Wait, so getting the 1 million credits achievement unlocks the specter gear? (For purchase, I mean)

EDIT: Nevermind. I gotta start reading through threads before I start asking stupid questions.

Top Bottom