• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella - In US Astro Bot ranked 2nd in unit for w/e Sept 7th (behind only NBA 2K25), and the Astro DualSense was the best-selling accessory

Mat Piscatella (@matpiscatella.bsky.social)

Don't usually talk weeklies but wanted to add some context to the UK reporting from last week. Across both physical & digital, Astro Bot ranked 2nd in unit sales in the US for w/e Sept 7th (behind only NBA 2K25), and the Astro Bot DualSense was the week's best-selling accessory. Solid week 1.

CLwGvKd.gif
CxAtTjE.gif

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Great news for Astro Bot.

Sounds like with physical it is performing decently well considering NBA 2K is multiplatform.

Might be #2 for the following depending on physical sales of Warhammer too, but most likely #3.

Will be interesting to see what kind of legs it has, especially if it wins GOTY, and whether winning GOTY pushes Sony to release this on Switch and PC.

I was close to pulling the trigger on it until I realised the eyes were just painted on the trackpad and weren't LEDs.

How would LEDs work exactly?

I’m taking the game slowly and soaking it all in. Everything is just so top notch with that game. Like muffling the music when you go underwater. I was blown away by
the mouse level, just shrinking with R2 whenever and having both viewpoints and using both sizes for the puzzles. Etc. I stayed on that level way longer than I had to, to find everything.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
How would LEDs work exactly?

The same way that any other LED on a controller would.

I thought that was the caee based on the images and then saw an unboxing of it so cancelled my order for it. Would have been a really cool and unique feature if they had done it that way.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’m taking the game slowly and soaking it all in. Everything is just so top notch with that game. Like muffling the music when you go underwater. I was blown away by
the mouse level, just shrinking with R2 whenever and having both viewpoints and using both sizes for the puzzles. Etc. I stayed on that level way longer than I had to, to find everything.

My favourite level too! I was in awe the whole time. Genius level that shows how a console like the PS5 can deliver an experience Nintendo can't with the switch. The extra horsepower completely sells that level. It was amazing and the one that has stuck with me.

My favourite level too! I was in awe the whole time. Genius level that shows how a console like the PS5 can deliver an experience Nintendo can't with the switch. The extra horsepower completely sells that level. It was amazing and the one that has stuck with me.

It’s kinda similar to Mario Wonder going from 2D to 3D, but definitely not as impressive as this Astro Bot level.

The same way that any other LED on a controller would.

I thought that was the caee based on the images and then saw an unboxing of it so cancelled my order for it. Would have been a really cool and unique feature if they had done it that way.
And waste even more battery power? Lol. Would have been cool. But I don't think practical, lol.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They could have used the same LED that's used around the trackpad by sending the light through the trackpad itself.
That's what I was hoping for. I didn't expect them to animate, but having some pass through of the lights that are already in the controller would have been cool.

nowhat

cat cpr GIF

Don’t you die on me Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes ! Stay with me!!!

I don't usually bookmark posts, I think trying to come up with some kind of epic gotcha is a bit petty. People can change their opinions, we all say stupid shit from time to time, and most of all, this is just a gaming forum. It's not so serious.

Having said that...

Kids play Minecraft and Fortnite. They ain't interested in Astrobot. Will be lucky to sell 2 million copies.

i dont understand this. the bundles would cannibalize game sales. no one should be getting a game for free. if the game is a console seller then it will sell the console AND the game. no need to bundle them.

Bundle != free

Just create a bundle with the game and the Astro controller for like $459 Digital/$559 Disk.
Add some fancy Astro box art and call it a day.

Last edited:
I don't usually bookmark posts, I think trying to come up with some kind of epic gotcha is a bit petty. People can change their opinions, we all say stupid shit from time to time, and most of all, this is just a gaming forum. It's not so serious.

Having said that...
Agree, I've had a bad take or three but this guy is a virtuoso of them.

Kerotan

Yes, same day even. Astro Bot (SIE) did beat the other major release of that week, Age of Mythology: Retold (MSFT).
Been a pretty good year for Sony after literally looking like a baron year.

I'll be getting astro with the pro in November. If MS bring Age of mythology to playstation I'll get that also.

Markio128

Gold Member
They could have used the same LED that's used around the trackpad by sending the light through the trackpad itself.
I managed to snag the controller, and whilst the LED feature would have been cool, it’s still really well designed. It’s probably my favourite controller tbh.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's an awesome controller .. I don't even use it just set it on a shelf next to my god if war dual sense.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Man, what a beautiful day that would be, if Astrobot indeed wins GOTY.

First, it will be amazing day for modern-day gaming and gamers.

Second, the outrage™ and tears will make it even better.

It would be unprecedented if FF7 wins. The game is a remake AND a sequel.

I wonder if Astro Bot can get to a 95 before TGA. A little more separation might make things easier.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think it's pretty much locked for GOTY.
Yeah I am not seeing another game getting GOTY over Astrobot without causing huge controversies. Maybe Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. But that's about it.

Astrobot is the highest-rated game of the year so far. And considering the release schedule of the last 3 months, it will most likely remain the highest rated game in 2024.

It'd be super controversial to ignore a 94 MC game to give the GOTY award to another game, say, Wukong (81 MC)

DJ12

Man, what a beautiful day that would be, if Astrobot indeed wins GOTY.

First, it will be amazing day for modern-day gaming and gamers.

Second, the outrage™ and tears will make it even better.
It should please everyone, theres one rainbow controller so appear to have accurate representation as apposed to all of them being rainbows.

Top Bottom