• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

That's my biggest complaint about the multiplayer, the progression is glacial. I'm level 6 and the next round of weapon unlocks isn't until 20. The base weapons really suck too so I need to grind to get those so I can really start playing.

I'm still using the starting pistol and submachine gun at level 14 and place high almost every match. They do not suck.

I've had a few occasions where I'd sneak up from behind, begin to unload, only for them to notice from the pain and then wipe me out. Nothing wrong with my aim there.

I've not felt as if the connection was playing up though.

Using an automatic rifle or shotgun? Both of those seem underpowered, and I've done exactly what you explained to many people using an AK with just one pistol.

If you were using a one hand weapon though, IDK what to say. I've never gotten killed if I had the drop on someone in this game.

MMaRsu

That's my biggest complaint about the multiplayer, the progression is glacial. I'm level 6 and the next round of weapon unlocks isn't until 20. The base weapons really suck too so I need to grind to get those so I can really start playing.

But rhe pistol and uzi upgraded are beasts though

MMaRsu

I guess I just need to get some upgrades then. That is the combo I've been using for a while since it seems to work the best for me. I also need to get bullet time.

Bullettime is soooo good. Someone spots you.. you duck behind a corner activate it and then you unload and kill them..lovely.

Using an automatic rifle or shotgun? Both of those seem underpowered, and I've done exactly what you explained to many people using an AK with just one pistol.

If you were using a one hand weapon though, IDK what to say. I've never gotten killed if I had the drop on someone in this game.

AK, up close I just hold fire because it isn't hard to miss, or so I thought. For long distance I tap-fire.

You know it's bad when you thought you were doing badly and get top player...

AK, up close I just hold fire because it isn't hard to miss, or so I thought. For long distance I tap-fire.

You know it's bad when you thought you were doing badly and get top player...

Try using one handed weapons for a change. I dominate people using two hand weapons with the exception of the Mini-30 which is a beast in the right hands.

Arcteryx

Nope. Pick a weapon you like and get the upgrades for it. They are WELL worth it.

I'm not having any issues w/ dual 1911 or Beretta(both upgraded with compensators, hi-cap mags, and weight reduction) vs people with AR's.

Also, be wary of approaching someone from the rear and thinking you'll get an instant kill: you can press down on the d-pad to whirl around; I've caught a fair number of people by doing that.

Try using one handed weapons for a change. I dominate people using two hand weapons with the exception of the Mini-30 which is a beast in the right hands.

I think the Mini-30 needs a slight balance tweak, because it's honestly a little too OP atm. I played a game yesterday with someone who went 81-7 with it. It needs more recoil or something.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Some of you guys have me really worried about opening my sealed copy :( controls, cutscenes, long campaign do not sound enticing. Having just beat Payne 2 for the first time last night, my curiosity weighs on me...
Controls are great once you adjust them, cutscenes are excellent, and the long SP is a godsend in an age of 5 hour shooters.

eshwaaz

Beat the game last night - absolutely loved it. At no point did it feel repetitive or overly long to me - the gunplay was consistently satisfying, and the variety of environments kept things interesting. Truly amazing attention to detail, with a ton of destructible objects.

Euphoria has been praised plenty in this thread, but I'm going to gush about it a bit more. It started with GTA IV, evolved in RDR, and is absolutely sublime here. Canned animations and ragdoll will likely feel dated from this point on. This kind of procedural animation needs to be the standard, and soon.

Easily one of my favorite shooters ever, with a few annoyances. My two main gripes are:
-Long cutscenes that cannot be skipped. The game is loading for several minutes straight? Really?

-Who thought it was a good idea to map aiming for scoped weapons to the left stick? It's completely counter-intuitive.

soultron

Banned
I wonder if your weighting changes in-game when you pick up/drop weapons. I use the mini-30 and try to keep my class as light as possible.

Weapons are strictly procure on-site.

codec030508.jpg

Kill fools and take their guns. Picked up a carbine with a silencer on the Moderno rooftops and tore this one dude up last night. He kept putting vendettas on me and failing them. (What do vendettas even do?)

I think the Mini-30 needs a slight balance tweak, because it's honestly a little too OP atm. I played a game yesterday with someone who went 81-7 with it. It needs more recoil or something.

Yeah if someone can manage to keep a mid to long range distance with that thing, it's tough to get in on them even with the God pistols. Luckily I haven't seen anyone get ridiculous K:D's like that yet, but it's still noticeably better than all the other rifles I've seen so far.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Dual-wielding the uzis are the worst. I've seen a 82-20 with them.

soultron

Banned
Wish the game had a quick-switch in MP. Cycling between last used weapon would be ideal.

It's frustrating when I'm moving from long- to short-range and need to bring up the wheel and point a direction with RS when someone threatens my space.

Some of you guys have me really worried about opening my sealed copy :( controls, cutscenes, long campaign do not sound enticing. Having just beat Payne 2 for the first time last night, my curiosity weighs on me...

Controls are fine after about an hour. The cutscenes are great and some of the best in the business. The legnth of the game is perfect. Every chapter has a different environemnt (well 2 of them are the same) so there's always new things to look at. Open it.

Arcteryx

I wonder if your weighting changes in-game when you pick up/drop weapons. I use the mini-30 and try to keep my class as light as possible.

Weapons are strictly procure on-site.

codec030508.jpg

Kill fools and take their guns. Picked up a carbine with a silencer on the Moderno rooftops and tore this one dude up last night. He kept putting vendettas on me and failing them. (What do vendettas even do?)

I'm pretty sure that it does modify your weight, but haven't really picked up many guns to notice it.

Vendettas are just a way of getting payback. If you kill them, you get extra XP. If they kill you, they get it. Kind of a fun way to start rivalries.

jonno394

Just done Chapter 9 and half way through Chapter 10; decided to take a break to catch my breath and let the heart rate settle down, it's just so awesome; this is where a good skill at shoot dodging and bullet time comes in to play, screw trying to find cover!!

5amshift

Banned
Just started the game. The psychedelic effect in the cutscenes is very annoying. Terrible idea.

I'm probably the only person who doesn't mind it, they're really not that bad.
Just got my first disconnect in multiplayer after the fact that we had won..

I'm probably the only person who doesn't mind it, they're really not that bad.
Just got my first disconnect in multiplayer after the fact that we had won..

I love the filming effect and I don't get tired of it. It really puts a cool punch into some lines of dialogue and it's such a great way to represent Max's mental state, and coming off of what happened to him in the previous games, it shouldn't be surprising. It's stylish, extremely cinematic and I've never quite seen it done so well in a game before.

MMaRsu

By the way, the taunts when you press triangle or Y with the De Marco dude makes in multi is fucking hilarious. I just kept on pressing the Y button.. I know that makes me show up on their radar and they would come flocking to me and I would kill two or three dudes haha.

Saying stuff like

I'll kill ya, then I'll piss in ya face! ( variations : Ill kill ya,then ill fuck your mother )
You're going in a garbage compactor

shit made me lol. Ill write up some more later lol

By the way, the comments the De Marco dude makes in multi is fucking hilarious. I just kept on pressing the Y button.. I know that makes me show up on their radar and they would come flocking to me and I would kill two or three dudes haha.

WHAT? It does? lolool, that would explain why my potty mouth Housewife of NJ is always getting swarmed.

But the taunts are so good. Worth it.

soultron

Banned
WHAT? It does? lolool, that would explain why my potty mouth Housewife of NJ is always getting swarmed.

But the taunts are so good. Worth it.

Yeah, running (without the sneakers item, AFAIK) makes sounds and so does taunting. The tin can (thrown like a grenade) can be used to make a radar blip too, IIRC.

If you hate games that constantly break the flow of the gameplay with cutscenes then MP3 is not for you.

Seriously... where's the Desert Eagle? It was used all over for marketing and I've only been able to use it on two occasions and not for very long. Weird.

I found (used it) it three times in game as far as I know. Chapters 5, 14 (well you start with it) and I forget the other. lol.

Where is the regular RPG is the question.

soultron

Banned
If you hate games that constantly break the flow of the gameplay with cutscenes then MP3 is not for you.

That's not necessarily a problem if you like the visual style of the cinematics and the story itself.

I loved movies like Man on Fire and Collateral so I was into everything the story/visuals offered in this game. It's still a video game story at the end of the day, but I feel it's one of the "smartest" stories to surface this year.

--

The weapon implementation/appearances are kind of strange, but they make sense when certain factions (CS, CP, UFE, etc.) show up in terms of the more well-armed/-financed groups having better equipment. It's just weird when Max pulls them out of nowhere in cinemas and such.

The way some of the weapons are added or dropped after cinemas makes me wonder how the development process went. Were they adding sections in later? Were studios handling separate segments of the same chapters but not communicating (or having the assets, with respect to weapon models) with one another? I think Y2Kev saying something about the game being finished in 2009 might hold some truth. Really interested to read a post-mortem if it ever happens.

MMaRsu

That's not necessarily a problem if you like the visual style of the cinematics and the story itself.

I loved movies like Man on Fire and Collateral so I was into everything the story/visuals offered in this game. It's still a video game story at the end of the day, but I feel it's one of the "smartest" stories to surface this year.

--

The weapon implementation/appearances are kind of strange, but they make sense when certain factions (CS, CP, UFE, etc.) show up in terms of the more well-armed/-financed groups having better equipment. It's just weird when Max pulls them out of nowhere in cinemas and such.

The way some of the weapons are added or dropped after cinemas makes me wonder how the development process went. Were they adding sections in later? Were studios handling separate segments of the same chapters but not communicating (or having the assets, with respect to weapon models) with one another? I think Y2Kev saying something about the game being finished in 2009 might hold some truth. Really interested to read a post-mortem if it ever happens.

Yup imo a great story, not a 100% great Max Payne story ala Remedy but eh.. it's still a great story nonetheless, and I wasnt looking forward to the story really.

soultron

Banned
Yup imo a great story, not a 100% great Max Payne story ala Remedy but eh.. it's still a great story nonetheless, and I wasnt looking forward to the story really.

Some of the dialogue quips add so much humour.

"No, do you?"

and

"I was shot in my second favourite drinking arm."

Priceless.

The whole "I was a bad move guy" monologue was nothing short of the game's best writing, I felt. That was the moment that really cemented all of Max's actions and the way he felt. I can't wait to get to that chapter again so I can sit through that speech. :p

Ok the part
where you're in the cemetery with guys shooting at you from every direction after you save Passos.
How the hell do you beat it? I only have one painkiller and I'm starting to think I'll need to restart the entire chapter and try to conserve them better this time around because these guys are wasting me.

By the time I can even roll into cover next to Passos they're already taking half my health since Max is so awkward and it takes him ten minutes just to stand up after a shoot dodge...or should I not have shoot dodged that first guy and sailed over the railing? Oh, did I just figure it out for myself?

soultron

Banned
Had a 3v1 beef with the IGN clan in gang wars. We won and I cleaned their clocks every vendetta.

Don't fuck with NGAF, sons.

I did the same thing last night. Haha.

We battled the entire time for the lead and it kept the score pretty even. I think I ended up winning every single match though. But, boy, when we were on the same team... the score was lopsided.

The mini-30 probably does need some balancing. But it seems people are too preoccupied with long-range/2H weapons right now. Lots of AK47s and carbines.

Arcteryx

Ok the part
where you're in the cemetery with guys shooting at you from every direction after you save Passos.
How the hell do you beat it? I only have one painkiller and I'm starting to think I'll need to restart the entire chapter and try to conserve them better this time around because these guys are wasting me.

By the time I can even roll into cover next to Passos they're already taking half my health since Max is so awkward and it takes him ten minutes just to stand up after a shoot dodge...or should I not have shoot dodged that first guy and sailed over the railing? Oh, did I just figure it out for myself?

I did it:
shot the guy watching Passos, then sprinted to the right and just hid behind the tombstones and popshotted people, kept moving around until they were all dead. If you stick in the center with Passos you're pretty much guaranteed to die.

I did the same thing last night. Haha.

We battled the entire time for the lead and it kept the score pretty even. I think I ended up winning every single match though. But, boy, when we were on the same team... the score was lopsided.

The mini-30 probably does need some balancing. But it seems people are too preoccupied with long-range/2H weapons right now. Lots of AK47s and carbines.

Yea, I wish there was a light loadout only mode, or a pistols only mode. Gets tiresome fighting people who just sit in cover all day with an ak + body armor. Live a little bro, come out an play :D

For some reason it doesn't show how much time I've put into multiplayer on social club. The first night I got the game which was on a Friday(thank you K-mart) I put in well over four hours into the multi. I'm thinking I've probably put in close to twelve or fourteen by now.

Jarmel

Banned
Ok the part

Probably the hardest part of the game for me. The bullshit accuracy of the enemy AI made that part a nightmare.

I did it:
shot the guy watching Passos, then sprinted to the right and just hid behind the tombstones and popshotted people, kept moving around until they were all dead. If you stick in the center with Passos you're pretty much guaranteed to die.

Yea, I wish there was a light loadout only mode, or a pistols only mode. Gets tiresome fighting people who just sit in cover all day with an ak + body armor. Live a little bro, come out an play :D

Ok, thanks that makes way more sense.

soultron

Banned

Pistols only would be awesome, but I feel it'd turn into glocks or deagles only, really. Totally want this though, yeah.

The turtlers are usually the ones who I make it a personal mission to flank and melee. c:

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Completed the game in ten and a half hours. What a fun ride that was and the
Airport was fantastic
. Now it's time to listen to the whole soundtrack and then try my hands onto MP this week.

Hawks, I don't know what difficulty you're playing on, but if it's medium, when you die a numerous amount of times you will be given an extra painkiller. So don't ever restart a chapter because you are low on them, if you are playing medium.

Arcteryx

Pistols only would be awesome, but I feel it'd turn into glocks or deagles only, really. Totally want this though, yeah.

The turtlers are usually the ones who I make it a personal mission to flank and melee. c:

Haha yea it's always fun flanking the turtlers. I also love how you can hear them on the mic after you kill them. Some dude was screaming because I kept flanking and kicking him in the head.

Hawks, I don't know what difficulty you're playing on, but if it's medium, when you die a numerous amount of times you will be given an extra painkiller. So don't ever restart a chapter because you are low on them, if you are playing medium.
Yea do this if you're ever low on painkillers. I had to resort to doing it in a couple spots on hard :(

Top Bottom