• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Jharp

Just finished the game on hard and LOVED it outside some horseshit sections (every section including armored dudes, and the last fight, for instance).

Credits are rolling, but I hear they're way long. Is there anything at the end or after them I should wait for, or can I turn the game off? Any messages at the end like in the first two games?

I love the game, but I'll be the first to admit there's something weird going on with the background loading. Why is there so much of it, and why does it take so long? I'll probably watch the cutscenes again the 2nd time around, but after that I'd surely want to skip them quickly which isn't really possible with this game. You'd think Rockstar, of all devs, would've optimized the game so that it can stream properly and access the next gameplay section instantly.

Rockstar needs to get in contact with Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog for some backgrond loading tips.

Makes replaying through the game and the bonus modes (score attack and new york minute) kinda annoying, because you have to sit through a significant amount of cutscenes. They really should've found a way to optimize the loading times better than they have been. Right now, they're my only main issue with the game.

Badgerst3

i will say this- its great in small sprirts. I have taken a break after chapter 6.

If Rockstar can replicate the cover/shooting mechanics for the next grand theft auto- I'm all in.

The controls for aiming are superb.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Caved and got the PS3 version. Was contemplating the PC version but if I can't run it at max then I'd wonder what I am missing. Atleast with a console version it is what it is. =D

Not sure if I am going to put in the Online Pass, I'm not usually a fan of multi on PS3 due to lack of people using headsets.

*edit*
Ohhh, doesn't look like there is an online pass. Just looked inside and no code so that's a bonus

Ridesh

Banned
Finished the game on Medium.

Time Played: 10:07:28

j0vP8mzJjqC4o.jpg

Amazing game, the locations are some of the most detailed I've ever seen in a video game and, surprisingly, I didn't feel saturated by the mechanics.

My favorite chapters were those in the Favelas.

Just finished it on Normal. Game is fucking amazing, soundtrack is best I've ever heard in a videogame and once how to play clicks it is some of the most fun gameplay out there.

hlhbk

So let me preface this by saying that I am a huge fan of the origional games, and felt that the previews of MP3 didn't look like a true sequal to the first 2. I was not impressed or excited at all going into the release.

I rented the PS3 version and played the first chapter and let me say that I was completely wrong. Everything just in the first chapter is better than anything in the first 2 games, and the story telling is superb.

I have stopped playing and will be returning my rental, but have preordered the PC version on Steam. Here is to hoping that Rockstar actually made a quality pc port as oppsed to the junk we saw in GTA IV and LA Noire. I gotta say though the install is 35 GB??? Really???? I though the Force Unleashed was insane. It's gonna take forever to download through Steam.

Sidzed2

Just finished the game on normal and it was a good, solid challenge. Oddly I didn't find any terrible checkpointing issues - some were a tad dubious, particularly the last stretch of Chapter 12, but overall I didn't find the game to be too frustrating.

I beat the last 'boss' on my first try, actually, which I found surprising after all the consternation here. I didn't think it reached the heights of frustration I felt towards the end of Uncharted 3.

Loved the game overall, thought it got better as it went along, save for some annoying encounters in the favela. The atmosphere, soundtrack, and animations are astounding, and this game's Max is probably my favourite gaming protagonist ever. Macaffrey did an amazing job.

Took me about 4 chapters to warm up to it, but Max Payne 3 is my favourite game of the year to date.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't have a problem with the cutscene quality itself, but the overabundance of it. In MP 1 and 2 you had cutscenes but they were usually less than two minutes long and usually just involved a henchman saying something stupid(Which isn't even in this game, talk about a bummer. No goons talking about Brad Pitt). In Red Dead and GTA, you had longer cutscenes but they were spread out. You got one at the start then you drove somewhere then you did the mission then you MIGHT get one for finishing the mission.

In Max Payne 3, you get a cutscene after every 5 kills. One of the best examples I can think of without spoilers is when the security guard is behind cover. You waste the bad guys and then it goes into a cutscene where Max tells him to go do what he needs to do. Then new bad guys show up. Why couldn't you have just had the guard run for it while you finished the first crew then had the new guys show up and start firing while he was running for the thing. That way you could have even been 'providing cover'. The game, which is a shooter, is constantly taking you out of the action.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on Chapter 11 on Hard. Does it get harder, because it's getting kinda comfortable. If the game finishes with this difficulty plateau then I'll be pleased.

Sidzed2

I don't have a problem with the cutscene quality itself, but the overabundance of it. In MP 1 and 2 you had cutscenes but they were usually less than two minutes long and usually just involved a henchman saying something stupid(Which isn't even in this game, talk about a bummer. No goons talking about Brad Pitt). In Red Dead and GTA, you had longer cutscenes but they were spread out. You got one at the start then you drove somewhere then you did the mission then you MIGHT get one for finishing the mission.

In Max Payne 3, you get a cutscene after every 5 kills. One of the best examples I can think of without spoilers is when the security guard is behind cover. You waste the bad guys and then it goes into a cutscene where Max tells him to go do what he needs to do. Then new bad guys show up. Why couldn't you have just had the guard run for it while you finished the first crew then had the new guys show up and start firing while he was running for the thing. That way you could have even been 'providing cover'. The game, which is a shooter, is constantly taking you out of the action.

Not saying you're wrong, but I didnt find what you're describing to be an issue at all. It just didn't bother me. If anything I appreciated the short breathers after the intense battles.

If anything, I felt like the game was a little light on plot after about the halfway point.

cackhyena

Comparing RDR's style to this won't work. One has you traversing long stretches to make you feel like you got a lot of game play in before they dropped another cut scene on you. The other is super linear. It's a fine line to walk.

soultron

Banned
I'm on Chapter 11 on Hard. Does it get harder, because it's getting kinda comfortable. If the game finishes with this difficulty plateau then I'll be pleased.

Chapter 13 is the hardest in the game, I'd say. Mostly because ~3/4 of the enemies in that level are armoured up with vests and helmets. Headshots, bruh.

That level is great fun though, so it offsets any difficulty "challenges" you might have.

Just noticed that disc 1 on 360 has Max Hair and disc 2 has Bald Max. :lol

Jharp

Finished the game on Medium.

Time Played: 10:07:28

j0vP8mzJjqC4o.jpg

Amazing game, the locations are some of the most detailed I've ever seen in a video game and, surprisingly, I didn't feel saturated by the mechanics.

My favorite chapters were those in the Favelas.

Where do you access this information? I couldn't find it.

putarorex

I'm really loving the game. I am finding it hard sometimes, but it still great when you can pull off an amazing bullet dodge with several kills. The story ain't bad as well.

Singleplayer stats for Medium play through:

SINGLE PLAYER STATISTICS
DEATHS45
HEADSHOTS474
BULLETS FIRED15973
KILLS IN BULLET TIME424
KILLS WHILE BLIND FIRING43
KILLS WHILE SHOOT DODGING138
KILLS WHILE CROUCHING9
KILLS WHILE ON BACK2
DUAL WIELD46
DISTANCE TRAVELED32,738 M.
LAST STANDS SURVIVED75
TIME SPENT IN COVER02:08:54.540
TIME SPENT PRONE04:34.294
TIMES DIED WHILE PRONE0

Multiplayer stats thus far:

Some of my stats here are definitely not right. I know I've done a fair amount of sprinting and shoot dodging.

KILLS 1527
DEATHS 1218
HEADSHOTS 122
ASSISTS 748
LOOTS 229
DISTANCE TRAVELED 0 M.
PILLS TAKEN 24
TIME SPRINTING 00:00.000
TIME SHOOT DODGING 00:00.000
DUAL WIELD KILLS 298

So glad I'm getting this on PC, eventually. It's tough for me on console because of the controls, even with the recommended settings/free-aim etc. Too many fond memories of MP on PC and precise controls to go back now. The opening was really cool, and looking forward to playing more.

hlhbk

So glad I'm getting this on PC, eventually. It's tough for me on console because of the controls, even with the recommended settings/free-aim etc. Too many fond memories of MP on PC and precise controls to go back now. The opening was really cool, and looking forward to playing more.

I just hope the port is not shit like recent Rockstar games.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 13 is the hardest in the game, I'd say. Mostly because ~3/4 of the enemies in that level are armoured up with vests and helmets. Headshots, bruh.

That level is great fun though, so it offsets any difficulty "challenges" you might have.

Yeah 11 is good. On 12 now; how long till I'm done since I'm thinking of finishing it off tonight.

Tagg9

I'm only on Chapter 4, but so far I have no complaints. The gameplay is well-paced and the presentation is as slick as one would expect from Rockstar. As someone who never played the prior Max Payne's, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Arcteryx

I honestly thought the end of 12 was INSANELY hard(mostly because of the freezing I was having). 13 I rolled through in a couple minutes it felt like.

1wwcW.png

Finally got the game today and got up to Chapter 3. Just finished up the
stadium
. Found the game to be quite challenging in some spots and barely made it through with just a little bit of health left. Makes for some pretty intense moments and find myself playing a bit more smarter than I would in some other shooters. I remember the first Max Payne games being quite difficult at times also, even on lower difficulties.

Took awhile for me to get used to the controls and find what is best for me and I'm finally getting the hang of it. Will put some more time into it later but I'm definitely liking it so far.

soultron

Banned
I honestly thought the end of 12 was INSANELY hard(mostly because of the freezing I was having). 13 I rolled through in a couple minutes it felt like.

I got caught on that checkpoint (died maybe 3 or 4 times) you were having troubles with too, but I think that was the biggest problem spot in that entire chapter. Mostly because of the poorly placed checkpoint.

I think that on Hard, on someone's first playthrough, 13 is probably going to be tough.

Got some solid time in on the MP and it is a blast. I think the BURSTs and item slot stuff is so much better than COD (I say that as a COD drop-out); I love the fact that you can trade adrenaline for shootdodges. Haven't touched Gang Wars or Payne Killer just yet, but when I get a chance next week, I'm really looking forward to it. I'd love to set up a time next Thursday or Friday when a bunch of us 360ers could play a private match or five.

Arcteryx

I got caught on that checkpoint (died maybe 3 or 4 times) you were having troubles with too, but I think that was the biggest problem spot in that entire chapter. Mostly because of the poorly placed checkpoint.

I think that on Hard, on someone's first playthrough, 13 is probably going to be tough.

Got some solid time in on the MP and it is a blast. I think the BURSTs and item slot stuff is so much better than COD (I say that as a COD drop-out); I love the fact that you can trade adrenaline for shootdodges. Haven't touched Gang Wars or Payne Killer just yet, but when I get a chance next week, I'm really looking forward to it. I'd love to set up a time next Thursday or Friday when a bunch of us 360ers could play a private match or five.

Gang Wars is REALLY awesome. Love the mix of the modes; keeps the games interesting. Haven't played Payne Killer much, but it can be pretty hectic at times.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just started 13 on Hard. The end of 12 was so stupid.

Sidzed2

That last fight is easily the worst boss fight I've played in a long time.

On normal difficulty I found it really tense, but not too difficult. It's funny, maybe I was lucky or maybe I had plenty of PK stored. Using bullet time, cover and blindfiring makes short work of the goons.

Jarmel

Banned
On normal difficulty I found it really tense, but not too difficult. It's funny, maybe I was lucky or maybe I had plenty of PK stored. Using bullet time, cover and blindfiring makes short work of the goons.

The whole premise though is just so insanely stupid. It's like they had completely run out of ideas at that point and wanted to just wrap the game up.

soultron

Banned
The whole premise though is just so insanely stupid. It's like they had completely run out of ideas at that point and wanted to just wrap the game up.

It was pretty junk, yeah.

I didn't think it was terribly difficult, just really unimaginative. The boss fight in chapter 13 was more exciting, IMO.

I didn't think it was terribly difficult, just really unimaginative. The boss fight in chapter 13 was more exciting, IMO.

I had visions of the fight at the end of the first game,
getting swarmed by killer suits, though there are no cables to shoot here
. I thought the boss fight was... okay. Kinda wish there was something more imaginative for it, but it was pretty tense. How it ended was pretty badass.

There shouldn't be boss fights (in the classic sense) in these types of games at all. One of my major dislikes of "cinematic" shooters is that they often just fall back on "normal" videogame mechanics when they've been building this playable film-like experience the entire time. I would've done away with all of the
big armored guys and both "boss" encounters
if I had a say in making the game. For all the dislikes I had with Uncharted 3, the final moments in that game were way better than Uncharted 2's specifically because they avoided another Lazarević.

The ending should've been
Max fighting through the airport and killing Becker by shooting his HAND grenades Becker would be using to draw Max out. Then you'd go on to the grenade launcher chase, or just have Max use his pistol if you want to tone down the over the top-ness of the whole situation.. It would've kept the flow and avoided coming off as Rockstar feeling the need to shoehorn some uber videogamey last stand.

I finally finished my first playthrough on Hard.

For the most part, I felt that Hard difficulty was plenty difficult, but there were several sequences that really made think I should have started on Medium. Generally, the standard combat was just the right challenge for me on Hard, but a lot of the sequences towards the end were just too frustrating, especially with the heavily armored types. The LMG wielding soldiers in this game were completely annoying for me and felt totally out of place in my eyes.

I thought the story was great, even though I felt like it was easy to pick up on what was going on even before the revelations started happening in Act II and III. The pacing was, for the most part, good; but I do feel that overall the game ran a little long. While I enjoyed the story, I felt that the enemies could have been done better.

Some villain spoilers:
I feel that the UFE guys, the Cracha Preto leader, Serrano, and the plastic surgeon were a little under-developed. This may have been intentional, but I'm not so sure. The way that Max seems so angry at the UFE leaders, calling them out by name as if he'd had more exposure to them, yet the whole time we'd had the slightest of glimpses of them. All of them sort of went out in sort of subtle ways too, with the exception of the final chapter. Overall the villains in this game felt a bit convoluted and not fleshed out well enough to me, and the fact that I can't remember most of their names says something haha.

The best parts of the game to me were the atmosphere, character development of Max, and the Euphoria powered gunplay. For the most part, I had no complaints about 'weighty' Max, and I feel that this is the definitely the best controlling Rockstar game thus far. I do have some thoughts about improving the gameplay and combat though. The cover system could still use some work, as entering and exiting cover is still abit clunky. Adding the ability to quickly get off the ground/roll after shoot dodging would be nice, though I understand that shoot dodging should be a risk/reward mechanic. A slide mechanic similar to shoot dodging would be a nice addition too I think.

The whole game's atmosphere was incredible to me. My favorite shooter ever in that regard, and this game makes me really want Rockstar to tackle a survival horror game. I think they could really pull off a spectacular horror title. And no, I didn't pick up the Undead Nightmare expansion to Red Dead, but I should!

Haven't sunk enough time into multiplayer to make any judgements on it other than I've been getting my ass handed to me ha.

Overall, I loved the game, but should have played through first on Medium. Definitely am curious as to whether this is the last time we see Max Payne.

Teknoman

Got some solid time in on the MP and it is a blast. I I'd love to set up a time next Thursday or Friday when a bunch of us 360ers could play a private match or five.

lol this is another thing that still has me on the fence between the 360 and PC yards.

Possibly not being a very optimized game aside, the 360 version seems like it'll have long MP legs, yet of course the PC will look and control better.

Wish some PC reviews would hurry up and surface.

EDIT: And yes, i'd really like for Rockstar to tackle a supernatural survival horror game, especially after seeing how they could produce tension in Manhunt 1...and i've also yet to play Undead Nightmare.

Fjordson

I finally finished my first playthrough on Hard.

For the most part, I felt that Hard difficulty was plenty difficult, but there were several sequences that really made think I should have started on Medium. Generally, the standard combat was just the right challenge for me on Hard, but a lot of the sequences towards the end were just too frustrating, especially with the heavily armored types. The LMG wielding soldiers in this game were completely annoying for me and felt totally out of place in my eyes.

I thought the story was great, even though I felt like it was easy to pick up on what was going on even before the revelations started happening in Act II and III. The pacing was, for the most part, good; but I do feel that overall the game ran a little long. While I enjoyed the story, I felt that the enemies could have been done better.

Some villain spoilers:
I feel that the UFE guys, the Cracha Preto leader, Serrano, and the plastic surgeon were a little under-developed. This may have been intentional, but I'm not so sure. The way that Max seems so angry at the UFE leaders, calling them out by name as if he'd had more exposure to them, yet the whole time we'd had the slightest of glimpses of them. All of them sort of went out in sort of subtle ways too, with the exception of the final chapter. Overall the villains in this game felt a bit convoluted and not fleshed out well enough to me, and the fact that I can't remember most of their names says something haha.

The best parts of the game to me were the atmosphere, character development of Max, and the Euphoria powered gunplay. For the most part, I had no complaints about 'weighty' Max, and I feel that this is the definitely the best controlling Rockstar game thus far. I do have some thoughts about improving the gameplay and combat though. The cover system could still use some work, as entering and exiting cover is still abit clunky. Adding the ability to quickly get off the ground/roll after shoot dodging would be nice, though I understand that shoot dodging should be a risk/reward mechanic. A slide mechanic similar to shoot dodging would be a nice addition too I think.

The whole game's atmosphere was incredible to me. My favorite shooter ever in that regard, and this game makes me really want Rockstar to tackle a survival horror game. I think they could really pull off a spectacular horror title. And no, I didn't pick up the Undead Nightmare expansion to Red Dead, but I should!

Haven't sunk enough time into multiplayer to make any judgements on it other than I've been getting my ass handed to me ha.

Overall, I loved the game, but should have played through first on Medium. Definitely am curious as to whether this is the last time we see Max Payne.
Actually watching the credits now. Agree with just about everything you said (particularly the spoilers).

I had a blast the whole way through. Some of enemy counts toward the end got a little crazy and some fights throughout the game just didn't feel like they lent themselves to shoot dodging or really anything other than cover, but I'd say that was a minority situation for me. Really cool game on the whole.

I loved the story and the atmosphere and Max continues to be a great character. The plot wasn't mind bending or anything, but it was told really well and there was plenty of quality dialogue. Liked the ending well. Simple, but effective.

The use of Euphoria and the mechanical improvements with combat and player movement within RAGE here makes me so hyped for GTA V.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Story Mode Complete: Hard
CHAPTERS COMPLETE: 17/17

DEATHS 148
HEADSHOTS 640
BULLETS FIRED 21077
KILLS IN BULLET TIME 634
KILLS WHILE BLIND FIRING 179
KILLS WHILE SHOOT DODGING 89
KILLS WHILE CROUCHING 4
KILLS WHILE ON BACK 4
DUAL WIELD 0
DISTANCE TRAVELED 28,878 M.
LAST STANDS SURVIVED 211
TIME SPENT IN COVER 02:40:30.162
TIME SPENT PRONE 06:13.368
TIMES DIED WHILE PRONE 0

Jarmel

Banned
Might as well post my full stats too:[Hard difficulty]

DEATHS 121
HEADSHOTS 555
BULLETS FIRED 19079
KILLS IN BULLET TIME 560
KILLS WHILE BLIND FIRING 75
KILLS WHILE SHOOT DODGING 208
KILLS WHILE CROUCHING 8
KILLS WHILE ON BACK 22
DUAL WIELD 36
DISTANCE TRAVELED 41,597 M.
LAST STANDS SURVIVED 275
TIME SPENT IN COVER 02:27:51.348
TIME SPENT PRONE 18:12.862
TIMES DIED WHILE PRONE 5

Killzone 2 bad?

Never finished KZ2. Got roughly 2/3rds through and stopped.

There was a final boss?

Where?

That's kinda the problem in that it's setup as a boss fight but instead it's an idiotic(in the absolute worst way possible) shootout. They throw a shitload of enemies at you in a very restricted space with environmental(with the random grenades) damage being dealt at you. Not to mention they don't even explain that all you need to do is just kill the waves of enemies.

It's one of the worst finishes I've seen in awhile. People complain about Uncharted 2 but this was much worse.

Top Bottom