• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has anyone posted a body count total for the game? How about compared to the other two games?

Fjordson

:lol I love that Lazlow did motion capture for Max, helped direct the voice talent, and wrote pedestrian dialogue + TV stuff with Dan Houser. Who would have thought he'd become so involved with Rockstar back when GTA III came out.

Also, Woody Jackson performed to some extent for the OST \m/

:lol I love that Lazlow did motion capture for Max, helped direct the voice talent, and wrote pedestrian dialogue + TV stuff with Dan Houser. Who would have thought he'd become so involved with Rockstar back when GTA III came out.

I wonder if Lazlow's the guy who got thrown out of a window during the mo-cap session for the Night Club

I finally finished my first playthrough on Hard.

For the most part, I felt that Hard difficulty was plenty difficult, but there were several sequences that really made think I should have started on Medium. Generally, the standard combat was just the right challenge for me on Hard, but a lot of the sequences towards the end were just too frustrating, especially with the heavily armored types. The LMG wielding soldiers in this game were completely annoying for me and felt totally out of place in my eyes.

I thought the story was great, even though I felt like it was easy to pick up on what was going on even before the revelations started happening in Act II and III. The pacing was, for the most part, good; but I do feel that overall the game ran a little long. While I enjoyed the story, I felt that the enemies could have been done better.

Some villain spoilers:
I feel that the UFE guys, the Cracha Preto leader, Serrano, and the plastic surgeon were a little under-developed. This may have been intentional, but I'm not so sure. The way that Max seems so angry at the UFE leaders, calling them out by name as if he'd had more exposure to them, yet the whole time we'd had the slightest of glimpses of them. All of them sort of went out in sort of subtle ways too, with the exception of the final chapter. Overall the villains in this game felt a bit convoluted and not fleshed out well enough to me, and the fact that I can't remember most of their names says something haha.

The best parts of the game to me were the atmosphere, character development of Max, and the Euphoria powered gunplay. For the most part, I had no complaints about 'weighty' Max, and I feel that this is the definitely the best controlling Rockstar game thus far. I do have some thoughts about improving the gameplay and combat though. The cover system could still use some work, as entering and exiting cover is still abit clunky. Adding the ability to quickly get off the ground/roll after shoot dodging would be nice, though I understand that shoot dodging should be a risk/reward mechanic. A slide mechanic similar to shoot dodging would be a nice addition too I think.

The whole game's atmosphere was incredible to me. My favorite shooter ever in that regard, and this game makes me really want Rockstar to tackle a survival horror game. I think they could really pull off a spectacular horror title. And no, I didn't pick up the Undead Nightmare expansion to Red Dead, but I should!

Haven't sunk enough time into multiplayer to make any judgements on it other than I've been getting my ass handed to me ha.

Overall, I loved the game, but should have played through first on Medium. Definitely am curious as to whether this is the last time we see Max Payne.

You will really enjoy it if you liked this, and you liked RDR. Highly recommended.

rdrr gnr

Lazlow is awesome. I'm listening to him on O&A right now.

Dacon

Banned
That's kinda the problem in that it's setup as a boss fight but instead it's an idiotic(in the absolute worst way possible) shootout. They throw a shitload of enemies at you in a very restricted space with environmental(with the random grenades) damage being dealt at you. Not to mention they don't even explain that all you need to do is just kill the waves of enemies.

It's one of the worst finishes I've seen in awhile. People complain about Uncharted 2 but this was much worse.

Huh, I didn't have that problem.

I figured I'd have to deal with the mob before going after that guy so I didn't stress too much.

Jarmel

Banned
Huh, I didn't have that problem.

I figured I'd have to deal with the mob before going after that guy so I didn't stress too much.

Even excluding the lack of explanations, it's an absolutely horrid setup and environment. There was atleast some thought put into the fight in chapter 13.

Dacon

Banned
Even excluding the lack of explanations, it's an absolutely horrid setup and environment. There was atleast some thought put into the fight in chapter 13.

Hmm I guess we'll have to disagree. I didn't think it was that bad. Though I would have prefer walls for cover, I still have enough to use in between bouts of popping out to shoot/go on a bullet time rampage.

Could have been better but I wasnt TOO fussed.

Sidzed2

I still can't beat chapter 12 after 45 tries on normal. "Easy" was the is the only option now. thanks rockstar, you damn idiots.

What exactly is causing you the problems? Where are you dying? I'm not saying I'm great at the game, but I really only had to play the end of chapter 12 4 or 5 times. Are you grabbing the 2 PKs right before the mini-boss?

P.S - I understand your frustration, but to call Rockstar idiots... It's just a challenging section, and ultimately not that difficult on normal. Really, if you can't do it, then I daresay it's a skill issue and it's fine for you to switch to easy.

Saiyu

Just got to Chapter 5 and I think it's ok....miss a lot of stuff from the original two though - at times it feels like just a typical Rockstar game but with bullet time.

Okay.

That level through the airport terminal with all the UFE goons? Fucking perfection. The track playing in the background, the bullets flying, Max's slow but strong strut. And I was playing that shit!

The whole time I was thinking, "This is why movies will never be as good as games"

Sidzed2

Okay.

That level through the airport terminal with all the UFE goons? Fucking perfection. The track playing in the background, the bullets flying, Max's slow but strong strut. And I was playing that shit!

The whole time I was thinking, "This is why movies will never be as good as games"

Probably the best part of the game. Absolutely incredible.

Fjordson

Okay.

Yeah, that was fucking great. And I loved how wide open it was. I was shoot dodging all over the place.

mxgt

Banned
I'm trying to join the Neogang but when I click accept I get a 'too many crews' error despite not even being in a crew

the fuck?

So good.

Every nitpick or complaint I may have had about the game up to that point, be it pacing, story, or gameplay related, was invalidated.

It felt like a tribute to Max. Like a send-off to his character. Fitting that it was taking place at an airport.

"...time to let me go" Gotta find that song.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
FINALLY found decent settings for the controls. Finished act 1 and started act 2. Game went from a 7/10 to 9/10 in the space of 30 minutes hahaha. Great stuff!

Zampano

I am loving this game so much.

Just got past the rooftop bit that seems to be causing people trouble. I think the issue is that it's one of the few places in the game where it's really preferable to use cover, and beforehand I'd been leaping all over the place, capping dudes and not giving a single fuck. Suddenly that will get you killed.

The gunplay is just so satisfying. All games should be on Rage. I shot one guy and he was trying to hold himself up on a table for about six seconds, stabling toward the end before he gave up and died. On top of that the whole package looks and sounds glorious.

They also do a great job with the encounter design. There's a good range of situations - not just enter killroom, kill, move on.

I hope they do some single player DLC. Multi is a ton of fun but I can't see myself shelling out for map packs.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ok, now I beat it I admit, it's a good game, but it's not as good as Max Payne 1 and 2, not even in the same league.

The levels/environment design just not really as good as Max Payne 1 and 2, not sure if that because it was designed for the covers or what, but yeah Max Payne 1/2 are superior,millions years better than the levels we got here.

I think Rockstar got it right on other stuff, the shooting is very solid yet it felt slower compared to MP1/2 but still very enjoyable, Euphoria animations were nice to be honest,and the story even that it's not on Sam Lake level of quality but it was decent, music are good.

However, this is the first Max Payne game that I didn't immediately replay, with Max Payne 1 and 2 I kept replaying the game over and over after I finished the game, that how awesome they were, with Max Payne 3 I just don't feel like I want or need to play it again(maybe some months later maybe never).

Many times I kept saying to myself what if Remedy did this part, what Remedy will change in this level, what if they made cutscenes comic style or if it set in new york ,what is Sam Lake take on this part of the story, how Remedy will do this and that, because there are many things that could have done way better.

putarorex

Fantastic game so far. I occasionally get stuck in numerous deaths just because I like bullet dodging (Max is too old to get up off the gound quickly), but I haven't found the game frustrating yet.

I am starting to encounter some glitches though (PS3 version). I got no sound for voice overs on some cut scenes, and Max glitched out (contorted something fierce) when playing a piano once.

Simo

I'm trying to join the Neogang but when I click accept I get a 'too many crews' error despite not even being in a crew

the fuck?

300 members is the cap and we're already at that so unfortunately there's no slots open.

So good.

Every nitpick or complaint I may have had about the game up to that point, be it pacing, story, or gameplay related, was invalidated.

It felt like a tribute to Max. Like a send-off to his character. Fitting that it was taking place at an airport.

"...time to let me go" Gotta find that song.

It's called "Tears" and here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEH_LSL4rVw

Love save us once
We'll fall from where we crawled
Love save us once
Beware what you want

Trust us now
It's time to let me go
Give up on us
Follow what you want
Trust us now
It's time to let me go
Give up
Give our soul away

Now you will go
Save us once
We'll never let go
Where we crawled
The memories are wrong
Save us once
We'll never wake up
What you thought you want

Trust us now
It's time to let me go
Give up for now
Follow what you want
Trust us now it's time to let me go
Give up
Give our soul away

Remember with love
It's time to let me never let go
Follow in your memories alone
We die alone

The lyrics have so much meaning in context to the themes of the game. It's really pretty fucking awesome and perfect.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Don't want to read the thread to avoid even hints of spoilers. Can somebody tell how controls are? Are they hindered by Euphoria?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Don't want to read the thread to avoid even hints of spoilers. Can somebody tell how controls are? Are they hindered by Euphoria?

They feel a bit weird at first but they're highly customizable. After I spent some time playing with the settings it feels perfect.

I would like to say that playing this game on Easy, after playing through the first time on Hard is THE FUCKING BEST!!!

Only a few more Story grinds to go...

They feel a bit weird at first but they're highly customizable. After I spent some time playing with the settings it feels perfect.

Weird as in "weighty" or heavy. It feels like you're moving someone whos kind of a big dude. It takes some time to adjust, but once you do and fiddle with the sensitivity, everything will be gravy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Weird as in "weighty" or heavy. It feels like you're moving someone whos kind of a big dude. It takes some time to adjust, but once you do and fiddle with the sensitivity, everything will be gravy.

I more just had a bit of an issue with the initial speed of the cursor. I love weighty controls but it was hard to aim. Increasing sensitivity, acceleration, and switching to free aim helped a ton.

Lima

Alright something is seriously wrong with the leaderboards in new york minute.

I just got through chapter XII with 0:35.192 left and that puts me in 25th place on the leaderboards.

Now I didn't take much cover and ran through the chapter like I did in all the previous chapters (I got two first places using this tactic) and the fuck did the guy at number 1 still had 4:42.37 left?

Yeah right... There aren't even enough enemies in that level to get that kind of time. Glitches, hacks whatever, this is just bullshit.

jet1911

It's called "Tears" and here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEH_LSL4rVw

Love save us once
We'll fall from where we crawled
Love save us once
Beware what you want

Trust us now
It's time to let me go
Give up on us
Follow what you want
Trust us now
It's time to let me go
Give up
Give our soul away

Now you will go
Save us once
We'll never let go
Where we crawled
The memories are wrong
Save us once
We'll never wake up
What you thought you want

Trust us now
It's time to let me go
Give up for now
Follow what you want
Trust us now it's time to let me go
Give up
Give our soul away

Remember with love
Follow in your memories alone
We die alone

The lyrics have so much meaning in context to the themes of the game. It's really pretty fucking awesome and perfect.

The use of that song was amazing. I didn't care that I died a lot at that checkpoint because the song is just so good.

The use of that song was amazing. I didn't care that I died a lot at that checkpoint because the song is just so good.

Hahaha me neither. I had chills and such a rush (that I had never really experienced in a game that strongly before) during that entire segment that it didn't matter.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question: I'm going back on previous chapters to go for clues and weapon parts; once I get all the parts/clues in a chapter, can I quit or do I have to finish the chapter?

MMaRsu

I only died once in the very beginning of that checkpoint...after the reload I cleared that entire section in one time.. SO FUCKING BADASS. Never taking cover during the entire fight I think..

One of the best experiences in a game since max payne 2 imo.

Also the deathmatch multiplayer is sooo damn good. I need some new maps though, very sad I couldnt get the cemetary map. If anyone has a PSN code for that and wont play multi please gimme some love ^^. I'm lvl 19 already :D.

Zweisy1

I dunno, I'm a little let down after about 4 hours of play. It's not a bad game by any means.. would probably give it a solid 8 or so from what I've played so far.

As expected I didn't like game as much stylistically as MP2 because I have a soft spot for Remedy's writing, storytelling and presentation but I was hoping the gameplay would be just as fun.. well, it's not. The shooting in MP2 just feels more tight and the guns feel better.

It's crazy how after years of development by a team several times the size of Remedy and whats clearly a bigger budget production they cant even come close to the charm and fun of the first 2 games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MP is doing my head in, enemies with no armour just seem to absorb bullets and take so little damage!

You must be missing then. Whenever I've played without armor I've died almost the instant someone started hitting me. Hell, even with armor people go down really fast.

Harlock

Get cover or get bullet time.

Thank god they allow you to invert R1/R2 to fire. The trigger button in PS3 controller is not the same thing of the Xbox controller.

iNvid02

whats the quickest way to gain xp and cash, everything feels so damn slow.

my ak47 is still at a shitty weapon level despite me using it almost all the time

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
whats the quickest way to gain xp and cash, everything feels so damn slow.

my ak47 is still at a shitty weapon level despite me using it almost all the time

That's my biggest complaint about the multiplayer, the progression is glacial. I'm level 6 and the next round of weapon unlocks isn't until 20. The base weapons really suck too so I need to grind to get those so I can really start playing.

You must be missing then. Whenever I've played without armor I've died almost the instant someone started hitting me. Hell, even with armor people go down really fast.

Nah, son. With solid connections and decent aim, everybody dies relatively quickly. People with no armor feel like they go down in 3-4 center mass shots.

I've had a few occasions where I'd sneak up from behind, begin to unload, only for them to notice from the pain and then wipe me out. Nothing wrong with my aim there.

I've not felt as if the connection was playing up though.

iNvid02

level 50 is so far away, i've already played 7hrs 30 mins and only reached level 12.

if they added loading wait times it would probably be a few days of playtime lol

Top Bottom