• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Beat this game tape today on Hard and had a really great time with it. Kinda sad it's over, honestly. Probably some of the most intense and satisfying firefights to be had in a TPS in many years, albeit not without some frustrating and awkward design decisions.

LMS is an interesting aspect of combat, but I found that it usually works against you instead of for you (obstructions and animation priorities often impede success). The abundance of cut-scenes didn't really bother me, as I sort of fell in love with Max's antihero character by the second-half, so it was worth sticking through the boring stuff just to hear some more of his nihilistic banter. The inability to skip through them immediately, and sometimes if at all, is really unfortunate. I found the overall story a bit flat, but much of the writing, especially for Max, was memorable and well done. I was a little surprised by how consistently impressive the visuals are, and the animation is top of the mark. The soundtrack is really lovely, and when "Tears" kicks in at a certain moment of the game, I was more than a little giddy about it. Gonna have to acquire a copy of it for sure.

Now to try NYM and get the rest of the clues and golden gun parts, and maybe some MP after.

Ningo

When I sent a request to join the Gaf Crew there were 299 members, now I get a return invite and click accept and it says too many crews.

hLttn.jpg

9MYvg.jpg

:(

So I spent the day getting at least gold medal ratings on all the stages in score attack....and the unlock for unlimited bullet time isn't working. I guess it is a glitch or something. I saw that Rockstar knows about the issue so I hope it they patch it soon. Bummer.

Arcteryx

Which is fine in single player. However in multiplayer it's one of the most overpowered mechanics I have ever seen in an online game. How on earth it made it through testing is actually crazy.

It fits the game though. Hiding in cover with full body armor and an ak isn't really "Max Payne"; that's more along the lines of Gears or the latest SOCOM.

There is already a range limit on the pistols. If you go so far as to make them worthless, then people are just going to be sitting in cover more so than they currently are.

At the end of the day, dual pistols are no more OP than the Mini-30.

Also, don't forget to make use of your bursts. Bullet Time is a must have for pistol users(IMO), but it can work well for AR users as well to line up those shots. I feel like a lot of people are just using that health burst or the increased weapon dmg one(w/ the grenade launcher @ tier 3).

Grisby

The dodge mechanic translates pretty nicely to MP. Makes me feel like a bad ass. Other then that it seems like a watered down Uncharted because of how vertical you can get in the environments.

george_us

Damn this game seriously has the best campaign I've played in a TPS since Uncharted 2. It doesn't have the crazy set pieces U2 has but the combat feels so freaking good, the locales are GORGEOUS, the music is awesome, the story is pretty gripping, and it's pretty long. This is a cinematic experience done RIGHT imo. While I feel like I'm progressing through a scripted story, it never feels overly scripted to me. Combat encounters never really play out the same way twice and that's something I've been missing recently.

Rockstar knocked this out of the park.

The dodge mechanic translates pretty nicely to MP. Makes me feel like a bad ass. Other then that it seems like a watered down Uncharted because of how vertical you can get in the environments.

I haven't got the game, still waiting for it to release, but man, when I see gameplay of the SP or MP, it frustrates me when players don't bullet dodge enough! The amount of times I've seen people playing this like an Uncharted type tps, constantly taking cover.

The bullet dodge looks too cool to not use. -_-

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I haven't got the game, still waiting for it to release, but man, when I see gameplay of the SP or MP, it frustrates me when players don't bullet dodge enough! The amount of times I've seen people playing this like an Uncharted type tps, constantly taking cover.

The problem is (in SP too) that once you hit the ground you're a sitting target.

It's pretty awesome, though a lot of people didn't like the last fight. I didn't mind it, but the lead up up to it is awesome.

If it's anything like the last fight of the previous level, I can kinda imagine why. Was low on ammo and for some reason
the damn roof wouldn't collapse most of the time, no matter how much I shot at it
. That was really the only thing that irked me about that level, so if the last one is anything like it, thats fine with me.

I know it's a videogame and I know he's Max Payne and all, but thinking about things in a logical way (I know I'm not supposed to but it's amusing), it truly does blow my mind that a middle aged dude who smokes+drinks+pops pills every single day and night before going to sleep can be in a healthy enough state to do all the shit he does in this game :lol

Freaking a, the attention to detail is insane. If a game is going to be linear, it is super nice to have extraordinary environments.

I wanna know how much of the game's size is texture data. I was blown away by the texture quality on pretty much everything, but especially Max, the guns, and the environments.

KalBalboa

Banned
Just finished it.

Probably the best combat I've experienced in a game and arguably the most badass character. The last action scene isn't really in character, in my eyes, but it didn't ruin it for me.

Amy news on alternate endings like the first two?

Raziel

You'll understand when you play it...

WTF IS GOING ON WITH THE ONLINE??? I got in a deathmatch playlist on freeaim and I literally CANNOT kill ANYONE!! I'm standing there shooting DIRECTLY at someone and I see their health bar go down and then go up EVEN if I'm shooting at them enough to kill them. I thought it may have been just one person but everyone else on the match seemed to be unkillable. wtf?

Fry

Freaking a, the attention to detail is insane. If a game is going to be linear, it is super nice to have extraordinary environments.

I wanna know how much of the game's size is texture data. I was blown away by the texture quality on pretty much everything, but especially Max, the guns, and the environments.

This really excites me. I'll probably spend 4 hours just appreciating the view (kind of like I did in RDR).

WTF IS GOING ON WITH THE ONLINE??? I got in a deathmatch playlist on freeaim and I literally CANNOT kill ANYONE!! I'm standing there shooting DIRECTLY at someone and I see their health bar go down and then go up EVEN if I'm shooting at them enough to kill them. I thought it may have been just one person but everyone else on the match seemed to be unkillable. wtf?
I know on the 360 there is some glitch people are doing that makes them invincible. I don't know if they are doing it on purpose but it happens.

I haven't got the game, still waiting for it to release, but man, when I see gameplay of the SP or MP, it frustrates me when players don't bullet dodge enough! The amount of times I've seen people playing this like can take outan Uncharted type tps, constantly taking cover.

I will use the dodge only when I know I can take out the remaining enemies in the area with it. Or have enough pain killers to survive getting shot up while on the ground. But I get what you are saying, I see alot of people just turtling up in cover. I will attack from cover only to have my adrenaline meter fill then go back on the offensive.

For some later levels cover is more needed.

KalBalboa

Banned
I will use the dodge only when I know I can take out the remaining enemies in the area with it. Or have enough pain killers to survive getting shot up while on the ground. But I get what you are saying, I see alot of people just turtling up in cover. I will attack from cover only to have my adrenaline meter fill then go back on the offensive.

For some later levels cover is more needed.

Shoot dodging is great when moving from cover to cover or when you have two or so enemies remaining in an area. I actually realized using straight-up bullet time while running around was surprisingly effective at clearing a room and much more satisfying than just taking cover.

Stopping and popping a la Gears or Uncharted in this game is something I didn't do to much of outside of sizing up a room. It's too cool and gratifying to dodge and slow things down.

Montresor

Yes! I won a rookie deathmatch! Yeah it was soft lock but whatever, I got the achievement!

edit: Oh shit, I was thinking since I got that achievement out of the way, the only thing stopping me from getting the full 1000 was a bit of grinding (get to level 50, beat a bunch of very difficult, but manageable modes, single player grinds, etc...). Free-for-all deathmatch achievements always seem so friggin hard to me. But there's an achievement for beating the game in one sitting without dying on hard. Fuck that!

I think I'll just stick to beating hard and playing a bunch of multiplayer.

Now that I'm done with campaign, I really want to sink my teeth into the multiplayer - although hopefully they can fix the weird invincible people bug.

Gustav

Banned
I know it's a videogame and I know he's Max Payne and all, but thinking about things in a logical way (I know I'm not supposed to but it's amusing), it truly does blow my mind that a middle aged dude who smokes+drinks+pops pills every single day and night before going to sleep can be in a healthy enough state to do all the shit he does in this game :lol

I'm more bothered by the insame amounts of people the Mafia send out for hits.

How do you mean? Is there always an endless stream of enemies?

No the enemies aren't endless, and I never felt like I was being pushed along so I don't know what that comment means. I read there are areas where you can fail if you don't keep moving, but I did a good amount of "sightseeing" in my 10 hours and never encountered any of it.

MattDoza

No the enemies aren't endless, and I never felt like I was being pushed along so I don't know what that comment means. I read there are areas where you can fail if you don't keep moving, but I did a good amount of "sightseeing" in my 10 hours and never encountered any of it.

Those are contextual failures. i.e. They've kidnapped "So and So" and you need to get to them quickly.

Top Bottom