• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Gacha-pin

I did a 5 kill streak in a bullet time for the first time and then got froze :(

After the new patch, random maniac dude disappeared and the long interval sometimes happened in gangwars has gone but I feel that the lag is getting worse. Or that's why the server is down now?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Seriously? You shouldn't hide that in a spoiler as everyone is going to have a look to see if you're past where they are. You were better off saying 'I am currently in Chapter 2 Act 3" or whatever level (It's displayed in Level Select) and not spoiler anything.

Thanks for spoiling that for me btw.

It's in a spoiler so you wouldn't be spoiled. I don't currently remember what chapter I was in. If you aren't far in the game don't click it. Easy enough.

It was put there for those that have completed the game, not for people in the middle of it to tell me how far I am. The spoiler tag hides the spoiler from people currently playing through the game for the first time, and allows those who have completed the game to look and answer. If you haven't beat it how would you know how much game time I have left? Why would you even look? Even if I had been behind where you were, would you be able to tell me how long I have left if you haven't reached the end to know?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It's in a spoiler so you wouldn't be spoiled. I don't currently remember what chapter I was in. If you aren't far in the game don't click it. Easy enough.

You were better off saying 'I am currently in Chapter 2 Act 3" or whatever level (It's displayed in Level Select)

But I could be one checkpoint away from where you are talking about. You might have just finished the first Act and it took you 5 hours. Not one person here knows how far through you are before clicking that spoiler.

Regarding Chapter 11, for those that beat it and finished the game
So what exactly was going on down in Panama? What were Marcelo and Passos talking about before you went and passed out in your cabin? Why were they both acting so shady when you finally caught up to them at their truck? Passos didnt act surprised at all when he finally meets up with Max on the roof with all of the bodies. This is the only part of the game that has me somewhat lost.

Gacha-pin

Guessing retail copies aren't steam works then?

The Steam version of Max Payne 3 supports Steam achievements and buying DLC from in-game via Steam. Certain features normally associated with Steamworks—such as friends, cloud saves, stats, and matchmaking—are fully supported using Rockstar's own Social Club (not Steam) as the platform. Retail key activation on Steam is not supported.

http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/21386698-information-about-the-steam-version-of-max-payne-3

mocoworm

Seriously? You shouldn't hide that in a spoiler as everyone is going to have a look to see if you're past where they are.

Thanks for spoiling that for me btw.

Are you for real ?

It's called a spoiler tag for a reason. If you understood what a spoiler tag is and you haven't completed the game, why on earth would you look at it ? You have absolutely NO argument here. You are in the wrong. You were a dumbass and you paid the price.

Are you for real ?

It's called a spoiler tag for a reason. If you understood what a spoiler tag is and you haven't completed the game, why on earth would you look at it ? You have absolutely NO argument here. You are in the wrong. You were a dumbass and you paid the price.

Um, no. Read the FAQ thread on member etiquette. It's improper use of a spoiler tag - THAT has no argument.

He's far from the only person who has done that, however. Most people on GAF don't use spoiler tags correctly, and I've therefore grown accustomed to simply ignoring all spoiler tags until I'm completely done with a game.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
But I could be one checkpoint away from where you are talking about. You might have just finished the first Act and it took you 5 hours. Not one person here knows how far through you are before clicking that spoiler.

That's why the post was for people who completed the game. As a rule of thumb, I never click those types of posts if I have not completed the game. I clearly stated that I wanted to know how far/close to the end I was, so I assumed the only people that would be looking at that small spoiler would be people that could accurately gauge my progress, e.g. those whom have completed the game.

Maybe I should have specified that in my initial post, and maybe I shouldn't have assumed someone wouldn't click a spoiler if they hadn't beat the game yet. Next time I will wait to ask until I can check on my console at home what chapter/act I was on.

Didn't realize that people click spoiler tags while they are playing through a game these days. Apologies.

jonno394

Are you for real ?

Plus the only people who would know how far he is through the game, thus who can accurately comment are people who have finished the game...

mocoworm

Um, no. Read the FAQ thread on member etiquette. It's improper use of a spoiler tag

Please explain further. I thought that a spoiler tag on GAF concealed something that could spoil the game for people and therefore it is hidden so as to conceal it. Only people wishing to have spoiler revealed to them click it in full knowledge of what may come.

Have I got this wrong ?

Plus the only people who would know how far he is through the game, thus who can accurately comment are people who have finished the game...

Exactly. He asked 'So how far through the game am I?' , why would someone click it if they couldn't answer his question. You could only answer this question if you had completed the game.

Please explain further. I thought that a spoiler tag on GAF concealed something that could spoil the game for people and therefore it is hidden so as to conceal it. Only people wishing to have spoiler revealed to them click it in full knowledge of what may come.

Have I got this wrong ?

Here's the FAQ on Member (and spoiler) Etiquette I was talking about:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428781

Enjoy.

Note that I'm not trying to backseat mod or anything like that, I just find it annoying how many people don't use spoiler tags correctly and therefore inadvertently spoil other people.

Going to be double dipping on this and get the PC version too. I will play the 360 version for multiplayer since there will probably be a on going battle with assholes using aim hacks on PC.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Regardless of what the etiquette suggests, almost no one does it correctly (most probably aren't even aware of the FAQ). It's just common sense to not highlight spoilers unless you yourself have beaten the game, or the other person DID post correctly.

rvy

Banned
Wow, never expected such a response from this game.

It's definitely not for everyone, but if you're a fan of any of its influences, there's no way you can not love this game.

anawesomegodxxkvu.png

mocoworm

Here's the FAQ on Member (and spoiler) Etiquette I was talking about:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428781

Enjoy.

Thanks, I just read it.

What is a spoiler?
A spoiler is anything which can hinder a person's enjoyment of something by telling them something they might not have known beforehand.

'Mark spoilers appropriately
When posting spoilers about anything, always mark it properly. Using a spoiler tag alone is often not the best way because no one will know what you have hidden behind the tag without reading it first.'

He didn't. He laid out exactly what was under the spoiler tag by asking how far was he off the end of the game. I haven't clicked it as I haven't completed the game but I will bet my ass he has posted where he is up to now under that spoiler tag. He even put .. 'I am currently..' before it !!

'When not to use spoilers
If a thread is specifically marked as post-game discussion, and spoilers are warned about in the title, there is no need to use spoiler tags regarding that topic inside the thread.'

This thread is not titled as a spoiler thread so he used the spoiler tags as directed.

Look, I am not trying to be confrontational here but I just can't see what he did wrong.

Ridley327

Regarding Chapter 11, for those that beat it and finished the game
So what exactly was going on down in Panama? What were Marcelo and Passos talking about before you went and passed out in your cabin? Why were they both acting so shady when you finally caught up to them at their truck? Passos didnt act surprised at all when he finally meets up with Max on the roof with all of the bodies. This is the only part of the game that has me somewhat lost.

As far as what was going down, it seemed like that Marcelo was using the yacht and party as a cover for the cash that they were smuggling in for Victor, with Passos being his partner in ensuring it went down smoothly. Max was just extra muscle who didn't need to know what was actually going on; he just needed to kill anyone looking to rip them off.

The scene with Passos at the end is a bit unclear as to whether or not that they were intending for interference to occur, and Passos definitely seemed like he wasn't expecting them to straight-up slaughter the party guests. I can't imagine that Victor was trying to have Marcelo killed then, since it seemed like his campaign was going OK in that period, so it becomes a question of who actually told the Panamanians that there was money on the yacht.

Gen X

That's why the post was for people who completed the game.

Really? Where in your original post does it say 'For those who have completed the game'?

Oh look here is your original post.

So how far through the game am I?

I currently
just broke out of the jail.

Again, how are players supposed to know how far you are through before clicking that?

You have absolutely NO argument here. You are in the wrong. You were a dumbass and you paid the price.

*Edit*
Beaten like a dead dog.

Perhaps before you come in and start name calling you should read this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428781

And I quote

Spoiler Etiquette

Mark spoilers appropriately
When posting spoilers about anything, always mark it properly. Using a spoiler tag alone is often not the best way because no one will know what you have hidden behind the tag without reading it first. Using proper marking can make it very helpful for others to know if they want to highlight the spoiler tag or not. Mixing spoiler tags with regular text in a single sentence is also often a bad idea when dealing with a story spoiler, especially if it makes it obvious.

The following is an example of what is good and bad spoiler usage:

Correct spoiler marking strategies.
This is a spoiler for the 4th boss fight in Zelda
I can't believe the part when the boss breaks out a deck of cards and starts playing poker with himself!

Incorret spoiler marking strategies.
I can't believe
link
dies at the end of the boss fight against
megaman
or
Dude, I can't believe link just died

You're Welcome.

'Mark spoilers appropriately
When posting spoilers about anything, always mark it properly. Using a spoiler tag alone is often not the best way because no one will know what you have hidden behind the tag without reading it first.'

He didn't. He laid out exactly what was under the spoiler tag by asking how far was he off the end of the game. I haven't clicked it as I haven't completed the game but I will bet my ass he has posted where he is up to now under that spoiler tag.
No, he did... but inadvertently. He does not know where he is in the game (something that could have been figured out with a quick visit to Chapter Select, by the way), and posts the location in spoiler tags without any surrounding information as to where in the game he is. He could have been halfway through the game for all we know - it's a fairly long game, after all.
Point is: the text found in the spoiler tag in question is a complete unknown to the 3rd party. From that post, all one can gather is that this dude is currently playing through the campaign and wants to know how far in he is. That's it. I'm not saying that the person who was spoiled is completely absolved of any fault (as I said before, I've grown accustomed to completely ignoring spoilered text until I'm done with a game), but neither is the person who did the spoiling.

Question for people who have been playing mutli: What gametype have you been playing? Gangwars seems to be the most popular. I like it a lot, but I haven't spent a lot of time with it, because I'm not very good at it.

Jb

It's definitely not for everyone, but if you're a fan of any of its influences, there's no way you can not love this game.

You forgot Miami Vice (2006).

Working my way through the game on hard with free aim, and I'm loving it a hell of a lot more than on medium with soft lock. The flow of the combat definitely takes some getting used to for old MP fans but once it clicks, I find it even more satisfying than 2.

Majanew

Banned
Just cleared Chapter V. Game is pretty solid. Still not a fan of the psychedelic effect during cut-scenes, and I wish the framerate didn't have a micro-stutter, but the gunplay is great. Was great watching a guy I shot tumbling down the stairs realistically.

mocoworm

Again, how are players supposed to know how far you are through before clicking that?

I read the rules, he didn't do anything wrong. Why did you assume he was behind you when you clicked it ? It's pretty obvious that he could have been ANYWHERE in the game. He even put 'I am currently ...' before the spoiler tag. Why were you so certain that what was underneath would not be a spoiler ?

You clicked it and you know you shouldn't have. I haven't clicked it because it's pretty obvious that not being on disc 2 yet I will probably see something I won't want to see.

This is getting ridiculous now. This thread is about the game not spoilers. I'll leave it there.

Regardless of what the etiquette suggests, almost no one does it correctly (most probably aren't even aware of the FAQ). It's just common sense to not highlight spoilers unless you yourself have beaten the game, or the other person DID post correctly.

Agreed, backseat modding is getting out of hand lately. I mean bitching about spoiler tags? ...smh

mocoworm

I am about to leave work. Been thinking about MP3 all day. Will be on it all night. Send me an invite if you have any games going. My GT is mocoworm.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Really? Where in your original post does it say 'For those who have completed the game'?

Oh look here is your original post.

Read my last reply, I mentioned I should have outlined that fact better. I just figured as I was asking about how far along in the game I was people wouldn't click it if they hadn't beaten the game, as the spoiler could reference a spot past the area people playing the game are currently at. I figured that was a general way most people handled these spoilers. If someone asks "how far am I" you wouldn't click it unless you'd beaten the game to avoid seeing something further than you are.

Not that it was a HUGE spoiler anyways, just a location and mention of what you do in one mission with no context.

Next time I will be certain to outline everything about the spoiler before posting it. Didn't need this to be a huge deal. Sheesh.

Gen X

^^Not a huge spoiler but a spoiler all the same and now anyone else who is in a similar boat with know from the reply that they will be about 60-90 mins from the end of the game when they reach that point.

I read the rules, he didn't do anything wrong. Why did you assume he was behind you when you clicked it ? It's pretty obvious that he could have been ANYWHERE in the game. He even put 'I am currently ...' before the spoiler tag. Why were you so certain that what was underneath would not be a spoiler ?

Let me give you two examples and I promise I won't ruin the game for anyone. This is just to prove 'I am currently' doesn't work as the only warning.

I am currently
just starting the game on Chapter 1. How many Chapters are there
?

I am currently
in the level where you team up with Toni Cipriani from GTA3 and race down the streets on a tricycle

Notice that before you clicked those you had no idea where I was in the game and how close to the start or finish.

I got nothing else to say on the subject. Moving on and time to fill more grinds.

Thank you and have a nice day.

anawesomegodxxkvu.png

I just watched Man on Fire last night, so I'm happy with this. Plus I loved Collateral, and like Heat. It won't be the same as the previous games, I've acknowledged that, but it'll still be an experience.

PC release can't come fast enough.

Let me give you two examples and I promise I won't ruin the game for anyone. This is just to prove 'I am currently' doesn't work as the only warning.

I am currently
just starting the game on Chapter 1. How many Chapters are there
?

I am currently
in the level where you team up with Toni Cipriani from GTA3 and race down the streets on a tricycle

Notice that before you clicked those you had no idea where I was in the game and how close to the start or finish.

I got nothing else to say on the subject. Moving on and time to fill more grinds.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Good lord....stop.

Anyway anybody buy that second shotgun yet? Thought?

mocoworm

He didn't do that though. Read his post. He asked a question before it.

'So how far through the game am I?

I currently.. SPOILER'

Gen X

Question for people who have been playing mutli: What gametype have you been playing? Gangwars seems to be the most popular. I like it a lot, but I haven't spent a lot of time with it, because I'm not very good at it.

I only just unlocked Gangwars, but since I got this patch I can't seem to join any games. It tries, then creates a session with only me in. I'm not sure if this is relevant to my location to servers and it's 4:20am here or what but it does say that in each Gametype how many games are running. Some are up to 30 games with a couple of hundred people.

njean777

mX80E.jpg

Just booted up, presented with New Patch Alert (1.02), download and boot up the game. Jump straight to multiplayer, get presented with the message in the image above. Go and check the parenting level and it is still at the same setting. Just turned off Parental Controls, will try again.

*Edit*
Didn't work. Now to try and set it to the highest number (Lowest is strictest setting).

*edit #2*
Still didn't work. Checked game information and it says MP3 is Level 9 and I had the settings set to Level 11. Wonder if the patch broke it or something?

*Edit #3*
And I have tried nothing since Edit #2. Was just sitting in the menus surfing the net. Tried again and it randomly worked. I wonder if it's to do with www.rockstargames.com being down?

I got that same thing, did you ever fix it? Or is it just broken for now?

Gen X

I got that same thing, did you ever fix it? Or is it just broken for now?

I wrote the end result in edit 3. For some reason it eventually worked but also the rockstar website was down around that time so perhaps they're doing something with the games servers and website. No idea. Anyway, read my post above yours, not having much luck getting in games now.

As far as what was going down, it seemed like that Marcelo was using the yacht and party as a cover for the cash that they were smuggling in for Victor, with Passos being his partner in ensuring it went down smoothly. Max was just extra muscle who didn't need to know what was actually going on; he just needed to kill anyone looking to rip them off.

The scene with Passos at the end is a bit unclear as to whether or not that they were intending for interference to occur, and Passos definitely seemed like he wasn't expecting them to straight-up slaughter the party guests. I can't imagine that Victor was trying to have Marcelo killed then, since it seemed like his campaign was going OK in that period, so it becomes a question of who actually told the Panamanians that there was money on the yacht.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks man, and yes it does raise that question...

Deez

Neo Member
I played a bunch multiplayer last night. Pretty fun overall but I created a crew and it doesn't seem to mean anything.

Anyone know how the Crew system works? How does one crew battle another crew?

Arcteryx

Mostly Gang Wars and some Payne Killer the past couple days.

The Paranoia perk is one of the most annoying things I've ever seen in any perk system.

I think its pretty funny, especially the tier 3 one that turns on FF and vendettas. Hilarious seeing teammates go nuts and shoot everyone. I don't know if its a bug or not, but you can tell who is a foe by the size of the dot on the radar. A smaller red dot is a TRUE enemy, whereas a larger red dot is a friendly(I believe this holds true for disguised players as well).

Also, the disguise one is GODLIKE at times. I've used it a few times to flank enemies holding a cap point, turn it on, and then waste them all.

Sethos

Banned
The Paranoia perk is one of the most annoying things I've ever seen in any perk system.

Just another potentially good competitive MP experienced ruined to add a lot of shitty randomness and small spikes of "fun moments". Think I'll write Rockstar an email about a vanilla mode.

Anyone know which mail they use for Max Payne related questions

Ridley327

Makes perfect sense. Thanks man, and yes it does raise that question...

The involvement of the Comando Sombra is still something I don't get and seems to rely on a lot of narrative conveniences in order for it to make any sense. Really, all the kidnapping accomplishes is for Marcelo and Giovanna to show up in the favela so they could be later captured by the UFE and handed over to the Cracha Preto. It seems like a hell of a lot of work to kill Marcelo, especially in a town that's already good at covering up deaths.

Top Bottom