• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

He was used the same way that Max was used by the brancos, by that point He already figured out most of what victor was behind, He still cared for taking care of the women but his vendetta was shifted towards the men behind it all, after witnessing what was happening to his people it was best to let him have his vengeance.
But still. (massive spoilers)
Letting the guy that nonchalantly put a bullet through the skull of a bound, gagged, beaten (and possibly worse) woman right in front of his eyes, and the eyes of his sister? Yeah, sounds like a stretch to me to show any empathy towards the man. Being beaten and having an organ harvested just doesn't seem like justice ya know? Especially coming from Max.

I love the game completely but something that really bothered me were just the
passing references to Mona. I'm not even sure if this needs to be tagged, but just in case. I understand that at the grave he apologizes to his wife, but it bothers me that he's almost seemingly unfazed by Mona's death. Their relationship in the second game felt so vital to the story and here, it's almost as if he's done everything to forget her completely (yet he still reacts strongly enough to try to find Fabianna and save Giovanna). Protecting Max with a sniper rifle was one of my favorite moments ever in a videogame- the score kicked in, adrenaline shot up, and it turned into a beautiful sequence of bullets hitting each individual enemy in slow motion. SHE SAVED HIM TWICE (in both 1 +2)! You can't forget her!

I think his muttering at the T.V. commercial for "Hotel Mona" was a high point. I almost jumped! I kept thinking, finally, his subconscious repressed memories are going to sweep us both with some nostalgia. But his own revelation of probably going insane chased it away. I needed more. Embittered cynical musings or hallucinations of her or something.

I think this might be answered in the next two comic issues since they deal with the aftermath of The Fall.

So give us some single player DLC- I love Simo's idea! But make sure we see her too!

But still.
Letting the guy that nonchalantly put a bullet through the skull of a bound, gagged beaten (and possibly worse) woman right in front of his eyes, and the eyes of his sister? Yeah, sounds like a stretch to me to show any empathy towards the man. Being beaten and having an organ harvested just doesn't seem like justice ya know? Especially coming from Max.

It was bizarre, I will agree. I don't think it was
empathy though. I don't think Serrano was long for the world anyway. Plus, upon going back on the street, he'll never be top dog again, there's a clue that someone has already taken over Serrano's spot. The rest of his life will be a living hell, assuming he doesn't die of infection from his injuries. And Max says that Serrano has paid his debt to him when he murders the doctor... I dunno, it is odd. I really wanted to kill Serrano, but I guess Max didn't care enough after seeing the horrors that Serrano suffered. Poetic justice for the horrors Fabiana suffered, I suppose. And Becker, what was the point. Dude was too far gone at the end, why waste the bullet.

I need to play through the game again knowing all the twists, but I will say this:

Did anyone find the whole "organs!" twist sort of poorly explained? Like, I think it's effective as a story beat - it's something far beyond what Max was expecting or was ever prepared to see, and it does explain why people were being carted off from the favelas.

However, I don't think the game does a great job of planting the seeds for you to figure it out yourself. The doctor is briefly shown (along with Becker and Silva) at the party at the beginning, but as far as I know the game never drops any hints as to what the hell the doctor is doing with the organs.

That's the main thing - we never see a direct result of this operation, do we? The goon you fight at the end of the chapter talks about "helping people" and "important research" but we never see what any of that actually means. There's no "soylent green is people!" moment, Max just gets mad and tells everyone what they're doing is gross. Obviously it's sick and wrong but I feel like I missed the goal of the whole operation. Plus, it just sort of came out of nowhere in the third act; I feel like there should have been some kind of "people are going missing in the favelas, would the Brancos know anything about that? Goodness, no!" teasing throughout the first and second act.

To recap - afaik, the motivations for the villains are thus: Victor Branco wants money and is running this organ harvesting scheme with the Cracha Preto. The Comando Sombra is mad about this and knows that the Brancos are involved, so they try to kidnap them. The Cracha Preto want all of the Brancos dead aside from Victor because he paid them to kill Rodrigo and told them to kill Marcelo because he knew too much, i.e the smuggling. Am I right here?

Raptomex

I need to play through the game again knowing all the twists, but I will say this:

Did anyone find the whole "organs!" twist sort of poorly explained? Like, I think it's effective as a story beat - it's something far beyond what Max was expecting or was ever prepared to see, and it does explain why people were being carted off from the favelas.

However, I don't think the game does a great job of planting the seeds for you to figure it out yourself. The doctor is briefly shown (along with Becker and Silva) at the party at the beginning, but as far as I know the game never drops any hints as to what the hell the doctor is doing with the organs.

That's the main thing - we never see a direct result of this operation, do we? The goon you fight at the end of the chapter talks about "helping people" and "important research" but we never see what any of that actually means. There's no "soylent green is people!" moment, Max just gets mad and tells everyone what they're doing is gross. Obviously it's sick and wrong but I feel like I missed the goal of the whole operation. Plus, it just sort of came out of nowhere in the third act; I feel like there should have been some kind of "people are going missing in the favelas, would the Brancos know anything about that? Goodness, no!" teasing throughout the first and second act.

To recap - afaik, the motivations for the villains are thus: Victor Branco wants money and is running this organ harvesting scheme with the Cracha Preto. The Comando Sombra is mad about this and knows that the Brancos are involved, so they try to kidnap them. The Cracha Preto want all of the Brancos dead aside from Victor because he paid them to kill Rodrigo and told them to kill Marcelo because he knew too much, i.e the smuggling. Am I right here?
I still don't understand why
they kidnapped Fabiana, Giovanna, and Marcelo, then killed him
. Was that part of
Victor's plan as well
?
Ransom money for his campaign
?

I feel like there should have been some kind of "people are going missing in the favelas, would the Brancos know anything about that? Goodness, no!" teasing throughout the first and second act.
There was the tiniest tease
on your helicopter ride to the club in the first act when the sister mentions all the missing people. And again on a TV news bit on the docks level I think. But yeah, the whole organ harvesting bit did come out of nowhere and seemed to lead nowhere.

on your helicopter ride to the club in the first act when the sister mentions all the missing people. And again on a TV news bit on the docks level I think. But yeah, the whole organ harvesting bit did come out of nowhere and seemed to lead nowhere.

Oh, you're right, I totally forgot about that. That's the trouble with games, haha - over the course of 20 hours it's far easier to forget subtle things like that than it is over, say, 2 hours.

Oh, you're right, I totally forgot about that. That's the trouble with games, haha - over the course of 20 hours it's far easier to forget subtle things like that than it is over, say, 2 hours.
That's why I think the story is worth at least a second playthrough. I noticed a lot more the second time around.

Only thing is I lost interest in the collectibles and grinds since they're all about XP and I have no interest in the multiplayer. I'm not noticing what makes the golden guns better either. Is it just extended ammo or something?

Raptomex

That's why I think the story is worth at least a second playthrough. I noticed a lot more the second time around.

Only thing is I lost interest in the collectibles and grinds since they're all about XP and I have no interest in the multiplayer. I'm not noticing what makes the golden guns better either. Is it just extended ammo or something?
I want to say more damage, too, but the more I play the more I can't tell.

rvy

Banned
Chapter XIII, quality has been the same so far. Not gonna play more today. If there's a next game, I hope R* doesn't look at some of the ridiculous reviews and take them into account while making the game.

I thought that
the CS was hired by Victor to target someone in the family to earn sympathy for him, and then he used the CP to double-cross them (so the CS loses the money, is arrested by UFE, and are harvested). Problem with this theory is the photo in the first level has Victor as a target as well, I think. You might be right. The goon talking about helping people I think was just a hypocrite. They're helping rich people obtain organs. I don't think Max's reaction was off or anything though. The truth was disturbing and shocking and it took a moment for it to sink in.

There's actually a couple that I know of:
There's the report on missing people, there the surgeon at the party as well as a celeb magazine that has a photo on him, plus Giovanna mentions it earlier, as well as Raul saying Max could always buy a new liver (which is iffy, makes me wonder how much Passos knew or whether it was just a joke that takes on darker tones when the truth is revealed, since he says he never knew the full operation). There's also the whole bit in the favela where Max continually wonders what's happening with all the people being taken and when the CP hand them over to UFE.

I still don't understand why
they kidnapped Fabiana, Giovanna, and Marcelo, then killed him
. Was that part of
Victor's plan as well
?
Ransom money for his campaign
?

I think all of their deaths were politically motivated, except maybe Fabiana's, her kidnap was just botched. Rodrigo was murdered in the office and everything razed (Victor would say that it was an attempt against him for his "good work"). Marcello was immolated cause it's a "legendary" way of gang killings. Fabiana's death might have simply been bad luck. I'm of the opinion that Victor convinced Marcello and Fabiana to go try and buy Fabiana's freedom and set them up. Marcello was involved in the money laundering, it's enough to make him a loose end, though I don't think he knew about organ harvesting.

Raptomex

I think all of their deaths were politically motivated, except maybe Fabiana's, her kidnap was just botched. Rodrigo was murdered in the office and everything razed (Victor would say that it was an attempt against him for his "good work"). Marcello was immolated cause it's a "legendary" way of gang killings. Fabiana's death might have simply been bad luck. I'm of the opinion that Victor convinced Marcello and Fabiana to go try and buy Fabiana's freedom and set them up. Marcello was involved in the money laundering, it's enough to make him a loose end, though I don't think he knew about organ harvesting.
Hmm. So Marcelo could have been killed for his involvement with the smuggling and laundering
?
I forgot he was involved with the caribbean ship smuggling thing
But why was Fabiana and Giovanna kidnapped
?

Hmm. So Marcelo could have been killed for his involvement with the smuggling and laundering
?
I forgot he was involved with the caribbean ship smuggling thing
But why was Fabiana and Giovanna kidnapped
?

Well, I think it's two-fold. One, eliminate a loose tie that knows about his criminal enterprise. Marcello, asides from the money laundering, seems like a decent, if annoying, guy. Though, the deaths of everyone on the cruise ship make me think how decent he might have been, since Passos seemed to express shock, but Marcello didn't know, so I'm not sure what's up with that. But he tried to rescue Fabiana and keeps talking about being in love with the wrong woman, my theory is that he was in love with Fabianna. It explains his constant partying around her and his attempt to save her and him falling apart after she dies. The second is that if he's murdered by the CS, it gives Victor a political boost as it seems like the favela gangs are targeting his family, but he's gonna fight them anyway, which is why he's killed by immolation. You know what's even more horrifying, that shit happens in reality.

Fabianna and Giovanna I think were kidnapped for the three million dollars that could be extorted from Rodrigo. I think Rodrigo's death was always planned, as the eldest son apparently inherits everything in that culture. Fabiana's kidnapping was a part of that to take away his wealth before killing him. Or it was a smoke screen for everyone to focus on while Victor dealt with other portions of the operation. If everyone is focused on Fabianna's kidnapping, no one is looking into the organ harvesting operation that I think Victor was planning to put an end to for his political campaign. The only reason that didn't happen is because that idiot Serrano killed Fabianna and the CP killed Marcello. This gave Max the motivation to find out what the fuck these bastards are up to and then kill them.

Should I make a spoiler thread? Is there one already?

Go for it. I'm up for story discussion (after I finish my homework).

CTE

Too many fucking freezes argh wtf!

Are you on PS3? People have been reporting freezes and other multiplayer issues since the new patch.

http://www.dualshocknexus.com/2012/05/max-payne-3-patch-102-now-available.html

1.02 went up last night. This is the second update the game has recieived since its release last week. Other than the size of the update, we don't know much about the patch. Read on for more information. UPDATE: People are having trouble getting into multiplayer

The patch is fairly small; 59mb. We have searched for what the update may include and haven't found any patch notes so far.

Some people are completely unable to get into multiplayer due to nonexistent parental restrictions. User: BrokenGamezHD posted a video showing that patch 1.02 has prevented him from getting into multiplayer, even though he has no parental restrictions whatsoever. The video has since been removed, but users from other websites have been reporting this problem.

UPDATE: On top of the multiplayer issues, people have also reported the game freezing their console.

Raptomex

Well, I think it's two-fold. One, eliminate a loose tie that knows about his criminal enterprise. Marcello, asides from the money laundering, seems like a decent, if annoying, guy. Though, the deaths of everyone on the cruise ship make me think how decent he might have been, since Passos seemed to express shock, but Marcello didn't know, so I'm not sure what's up with that. But he tried to rescue Fabiana and keeps talking about being in love with the wrong woman, my theory is that he was in love with Fabianna. It explains his constant partying around her and his attempt to save her and him falling apart after she dies. Fabianna and Giovanna I think were kidnapped for the three million dollars that could be extorted from Rodrigo. I think Rodrigo's death was always planned, as the eldest son apparently inherits everything in that culture. Fabiana's kidnapping was a part of that to take away his wealth before killing him. Or it was a smoke screen for everyone to focus on while Victor dealt with other portions of the operation. If everyone is focused on Fabianna's kidnapping, no one is looking into the organ harvesting operation that I think Victor was planning to put an end to for his political campaign. The only reason that didn't happen is because that idiot Serrano killed Fabianna and the CP killed Marcello. This gave Max the motivation to find out what the fuck these bastards are up to and then kill them.

Go for it. I'm up for story discussion (after I finish my homework).
Yeah, that makes sense.

Also, anyone know if regular arcade mode is set on a certain difficulty?

Well, I think it's two-fold. One, eliminate a loose tie that knows about his criminal enterprise. Marcello, asides from the money laundering, seems like a decent, if annoying, guy. Though, the deaths of everyone on the cruise ship make me think how decent he might have been, since Passos seemed to express shock, but Marcello didn't know, so I'm not sure what's up with that. But he tried to rescue Fabiana and keeps talking about being in love with the wrong woman, my theory is that he was in love with Fabianna. It explains his constant partying around her and his attempt to save her and him falling apart after she dies. Fabianna and Giovanna I think were kidnapped for the three million dollars that could be extorted from Rodrigo. I think Rodrigo's death was always planned, as the eldest son apparently inherits everything in that culture. Fabiana's kidnapping was a part of that to take away his wealth before killing him. Or it was a smoke screen for everyone to focus on while Victor dealt with other portions of the operation. If everyone is focused on Fabianna's kidnapping, no one is looking into the organ harvesting operation that I think Victor was planning to put an end to for his political campaign. The only reason that didn't happen is because that idiot Serrano killed Fabianna and the CP killed Marcello. This gave Max the motivation to find out what the fuck these bastards are up to and then kill them.
Maybe the
ransom was just a way to provide a down payment to the paramilitary guys for their part in assassinating Rodrigo?

gabbre

I decided to replay the first two games to refresh my memory waiting for the 1st of June. I just finished Max Payne 2 and I do not think it needs a sequel. Maybe is the ending, maybe is the song, maybe is the sad but yet beautiful story. Convince me I'm wrong.

I just had the most amazing main menu glitch. No Max!

N3V3U.jpg

D0yWf.jpg

Behold, the flying bottle and cigarette!

That's funny. A similar thing happened to me when playing the bus station level in arcade mode. I ran through a portion thinking that I cleared the area, but was surprised I didn't get a kill cam. All of a sudden I started getting hit by bullets and I didn't see where they were coming from. I finally saw this floating mussel flash and aimed in the direction till the reticule turned red and unloaded my uzi at the invisible man. Funniest thing ever watching the kill cam and seeing particles of blood splatter out of nothingness in slow motion.

I always play with soft lock on. If I played multiplayer I would turn it off. On PC I'll probably just use free aim. A mouse is so much more precise.

I'm actually doing the opposite. I can manage the single player no problem. It's just the multiplayer that gets a little too hectic for me.

Do it. The story is phenominal in my opinion. Then again I'm a huge fan of most Rockstar games and their stories. Enjoy.

I'm on Chapter 8 (?)
currently at the checkpoint where you're hiding out in the church at the graveyard right now
and so far the story has been enjoyable but I'm still waiting for the big twist. I know the story is really supposed to start picking up soon and after
Fabiana bit it

I started on Easy and I regret it since it's way too easy. I might stop where I'm at and just restart on Normal.

Raptomex

I'm on Chapter 8 (?)
currently at the checkpoint where you're hiding out in the church at the graveyard right now
and so far the story has been enjoyable but I'm still waiting for the big twist. I know the story is really supposed to start picking up soon and after
Fabiana bit it

I started on Easy and I regret it since it's way too easy. I might stop where I'm at and just restart on Normal.
It does pick up later on. I always start my games on the "normal" setting (in this case, "medium") then go through it again if I really enjoy it on "easy" to collect all the shit. I did all this so now I may beat it on harder difficulties and I'm loving the arcade mode.

Lima

Just finished my run on old school. Shit was easy as hell, didn't even die once.

Now onto my sixth and last playthrough for quite some time on hardcore.

God I love this game to death.

On chapter 7 so far and...

Not enjoying myself at all.
Where's the fun at? Is it all in the multiplayer?

Edit: And some more things to add:
The animation to get up takes ages and enemies usually pump me full of bullets before I reach the standing point.
Cover is wonky and Max will sometimes just stand in front of it.
Bullet time is cool, but Max is fragile as shit so cover is an easier option. (Even though I try to avoid it)
I don't give a shit about the story so far, but I can't return the game to Redbox at the moment.
Enemies have grenades and Max does not.
The last chance bullet time would have been better if Max didn't take a nap every time he is on the ground.
Enemies blend into the background making it difficult to shoot them. Had to bump it down to normal and opt for "soft lock."
And er...um...well bullet time is still cool as fuck. So there's that...

Edit2: Were there this many cut scenes slicing up the action in the original Max Payne games? This shit is fucking ridiculous. Oh and whoever thought that the character's need to yell at you to "hurry up," needs to be shot. Max does it too, but they grate when I'm trying to explore.

Top Bottom