• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Can someone explain to me this shitty fucking melee system in multiplayer? I just meleed some guy twice while he was looting a body, hit him, took his health and then he stands up and hits me once from full health and I die. I don't get it.

I didn't play RDR or GTA4 multi. Was it this bad too? I wish the melee was more like CoD's, melee whenever you want instead of when the game says you should. Not that CoD's is any better.

I didn't play RDR or GTA4 multi. Was it this bad too? I wish the melee was more like CoD's, melee whenever you want instead of when the game says you should. Not that CoD's is any better.
There were a few times in MP3 multiplayer where my buttons just didn't do what I told them to. Would take me 6 button presses to duck for instance. And twice I got killed for just standing there as my guy did absolutely nothing for a few seconds, all the while I was trying to just simply move.

Then I got spawn killed and decided fuck it.

It was, as Null has pointed out, hit and miss. The difference was, IIRC, the context-sensitive melee was on RT and not a face button.

It's definitely not the type of multiplayer that you try to play competitively. If you do you'll go ballistic. If you just goof around and pull off cool kills you'll have a lot more fun.

MattDoza

You wish it was like Call of Duty's? Why? That's one hit kill bullshit too. Not to mention, half the time when you're knifed the enemy is no where near hitting you.

Melee should be a knockdown or lesser damage effect. Hit from behind should knock you down, and take half your health. And hit from the side or front should do some damage, and cause you to stumble. Euphoria would certainly allow for this. OHK is garbage. I'm wearing a police helmet and body armor. I shouldn't be dying from an elbow.

willooi

Does this game have some technical issues or am I crazy? I've had it freeze up on 5 separate times, which caused me to lose a sizable chunk of progress every time. Also, the sound has dropped out on multiple occasions during cutscenes.

On 360, I've only had one annoying issue when prompted to switch to disc 2. After the cutscene started playing it went all black, but the sound was still on... at first I was thinking whether it was like this on purpose, with the drum beats and Max's voice deliberately placed over the darkness to symbolise the mystery and dread of entering the unknown of the Favelas....

Turns out though that it was just an error and there was no on-screen indicator unless I pressed the Xbox guide button, upon which it would say 'Loading' down in the bottom right. So weird. But the most annoying part was after exiting and restarting the game, no checkpoints had been saved for disc 2, meaning that I had to switch discs back to replay the last part of disc 1, then switch over again. Luckily disc 2 started properly this time.

You wish it was like Call of Duty's? Why? That's one hit kill bullshit too. Not to mention, half the time when you're knifed the enemy is no where near hitting you.

Melee should be a knockdown or lesser damage effect. Hit from behind should knock you down, and take half your health. And hit from the side or front should do some damage, and cause you to stumble. Euphoria would certainly allow for this. OHK is garbage. I'm wearing a police helmet and body armor. I shouldn't be dying from an elbow.

You clearly misunderstood what I said.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just a few simple words ...... game is fucking awesome!

Only on chapter 5 and I am loving the game.
Same here to all of the above.

I'm not very good at games, and hell, I play CoD campaigns with the auto-aim setting on (though I just try to blast through them as fast as possible before starting MP), but free aim is the ONLY way to go in this. Soft lock just feels... not right.

Oh, and the soundtrack is indeed awesome so far. It's so surreal to me that HEALTH did this; it is just oozing with their style and sound. For a band that's never done any scoring work they really did a bang-up job.

My fucking lord, Rockstar. How 'bout you go grab a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "skippable". Considering how frequent and how FUCKING BORING the majority of the cutscenes are - especially when you've seen them before - this is actually ludicrous. Were I reviewer, I'd dock 3 points for this transgression alone; it basically kills replayability.

Montresor

Just finished my run on old school. Shit was easy as hell, didn't even die once.

Now onto my sixth and last playthrough for quite some time on hardcore.

God I love this game to death.

Any tips? Because I'm on my second playthrough (hard) and I'm finding it really difficult. Last stand is a must for me too so I'd get slaughtered on old school.

saunderez

My fucking lord, Rockstar. How 'bout you go grab a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "skippable".

They mask loading. Press A during a cut scene and it will often say "Still Loading". Allowing you to skip the cut scenes would just result in a loading screen instead so whats the point.

Montresor

They mask loading. Press A during a cut scene and it will often say "Still Loading". Allowing you to skip the cut scenes would just result in a loading screen instead so whats the point.

It's handled really poorly. There should be a progress bar. Some cutscenes feel like they last for fucking ages. So much so that I'm not totally convinced it's actually masking load times. In those instances I think to myself.... no fucking way is it actually still loading the game, jesus just please for the love of god, if you are going to mask the load times at least let me know when it's time to push A. And other times, the loading is so fucking short that I'm just pushing A for the novelty of seeing "Still Loading" flash up, not to skip the cutscene, and then I miss out.

1) There should be a progress bar that lets you know how close you are to being able to skip the cutscene, and

2) When you push A to skip the cutscene, it should ask you if you are sure you want to skip the cutscene, and

3) There should be a short cut, like in Bayonetta, to bypass the "Are you sure" line. In Bayonetta you'd push RT+back or something to immediately skip a cutscene.

It's handled really poorly. There should be a progress bar. Some cutscenes feel like they last for fucking ages. So much so that I'm not totally convinced it's actually masking load times.
Yep I also don't believe it every time.

I understand the need to load between major area transitions, but between every room? And this from the guys that brought us sprawling and detailed open worlds?

No sir, I don't believe it. Some of them are definitely masking loading, but all of them? Nuh uh.

Game BOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_m3vgldKmRE1qblaph.gif

Lima

Any tips? Because I'm on my second playthrough (hard) and I'm finding it really difficult. Last stand is a must for me too so I'd get slaughtered on old school.

Knowing where the painkillers are is key. Especially during the harder sections in chapters 12, 13 and 14.

Also find the aim setting that you are really comfortable with. For me that is 6/6/8.

Don't use rifles until you get to the armored enemies. Always go for headshots, you waste too much bullets and time to kill them in other ways.

Well yeah that's about it. I died like 80 times on my first playthrough on hard and after beating the game 4 times before (hard,easy for the rest of the collectibles, new york minute and new york minute hardcore) old school really was a breeze for me. Taking the painkillers manually was not a problem for me because I am just used to it from the previous games.

Well and I played new york minute hardcore before it and this is where you really want to watch your health because you don't want to go into last stand in chapter 14, only to not be able to locate your enemy because he has already gone back to cover or you run out of ammo. You simply want to avoid last stand at all costs.

This is also the only thing aside from the long loading times that I didn't like about the game. The last stand mechanic is just bullshit.

Regarding the cutscenes

GlJeR.jpg

Montresor

Knowing where the painkillers are is key. Especially during the harder sections in chapters 12, 13 and 14.

Also find the aim setting that you are really comfortable with. For me that is 6/6/8.

Don't use rifles until you get to the armored enemies. Always go for headshots, you waste too much bullets and time to kill them in other ways.

Well yeah that's about it. I died like 80 times on my first playthrough on hard and after beating the game 4 times before (hard,easy for the rest of the collectibles, new york minute and new york minute hardcore) old school really was a breeze for me. Taking the painkillers manually was not a problem for me because I am just used to it from the previous games.

Well and I played new york minute hardcore before it and this is where you really want to watch your health because you don't want to go into last stand in chapter 14, only to not be able to locate your enemy because he has already gone back to cover or you run out of ammo. You simply want to avoid last stand at all costs.

This is also the only thing aside from the long loading times that I didn't like about the game. The last stand mechanic is just bullshit.

YOU SON OF A BITCH.

Congrats on beating that mode.

And thanks for the tips too, heh. Would you recommend trying the hardcore difficulty before old school?

My fucking lord, Rockstar. How 'bout you go grab a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "skippable". Considering how frequent and how FUCKING BORING the majority of the cutscenes are - especially when you've seen them before - this is actually ludicrous. Were I reviewer, I'd dock 3 points for this transgression alone; it basically kills replayability.

This times 10 billion! The fact that not a lot of reviewers mentioned this is ridiculous. It's a major floor, and like you said....it kills the replayability dead. Absolutely terrible!

Lima

Would you recommend trying the hardcore difficulty before old school?

Not sure having not played hardcore myself. I heard that you die in 2-3 hits and since old school is closer to hard I would go for that to get even better at the game so you have all teh mad skillz when you dive into hardcore.

I will start my hardcore run later, perhaps I can give you a better recommendation then.

While I enjoyed the game and the story presented, I don't want to watch the cutscenes every time I replay the game or do the bonus arcade modes. The timed arcade challenges are the worst in this case especially when you die and have to restart the whole level. It makes these even more frustrating at times.

MercuryLS

Banned
This times 10 billion! The fact that not a lot of reviewers mentioned this is ridiculous. It's a major floor, and like you said....it kills the replayability dead. Absolutely terrible!

I think the game would load a lot faster if they gave us static loading screens instead of streaming video + loading in the background. That's what they should have done for Arcade mode.

I still don't believe it. But if I hear the PC version can just skip them all immediately I'll eat crow. That or just pick up the PC version ;P

If it's the transitions between chapters that's holding things up, I'd honestly rather they just load the levels and stream from there so I could skip cutscenes and dialogue as I see fit. I love the style, and appreciate how much work went into them, but there only so many times you can watch the cutscenes without squirming to get things moving.

This is part of a bigger problem that I have with some games, and it's usually apparent right from the title screen. If you have to LOAD the title screen because the dev felt the need to put 3D models in the background, there's something wrong there. The #1 priority of UI design which should extend throughout the game is letting the player fly around the menus, and in gameplay. I shouldn't have to wait on background loading to get to the next combat scenario with combat as good as this. Blame it on the console's lack of RAM, but then Rockstar should've worked with those limitations and done something different.

In other words, Bayonetta still >>>> this generation.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow. The entire last fight of chapter 12, final cutscene included, just bugged out on me and I hit a glitch where there was no sound whatsoever, aside from the occasional bullet. Great job there.

On chapter 7 so far and...

Not enjoying myself at all.
Where's the fun at? Is it all in the multiplayer?

Edit: And some more things to add:
The animation to get up takes ages and enemies usually pump me full of bullets before I reach the standing point.
Cover is wonky and Max will sometimes just stand in front of it.
Bullet time is cool, but Max is fragile as shit so cover is an easier option. (Even though I try to avoid it)
I don't give a shit about the story so far, but I can't return the game to Redbox at the moment.
Enemies have grenades and Max does not.
The last chance bullet time would have been better if Max didn't take a nap every time he is on the ground.
Enemies blend into the background making it difficult to shoot them. Had to bump it down to normal and opt for "soft lock."
And er...um...well bullet time is still cool as fuck. So there's that...

Edit2: Were there this many cut scenes slicing up the action in the original Max Payne games? This shit is fucking ridiculous. Oh and whoever thought that the character's need to yell at you to "hurry up," needs to be shot. Max does it too, but they grate when I'm trying to explore.

While I still enjoyed my time with the game I'd say that most of your complaints are spot on.

Too many cutscenes and the fact that the game is designed around cover based shooting hurt the game a lot.

I would have enjoyed the game far more had the encounters not relied on max taking cover so often. If i wanna play a stop n pop I'll play gears.

well anyways at the very least the music is great.

Papercuts

And now the intro cutscene to 13 had sound, then it cut off again, and that damn thing lasted a good 10 minutes saying "Still Loading" if I tried to skip it. What the hell.

saunderez

In other words, Bayonetta still >>>> this generation.

If you want to see impressive Menu->In Game transition try Prototype 2. The game world appears behind the menu, you might assume it's just a screen capture until you select Continue and you're instantly playing. Very impressive.

Jtrizzy

So I assume most PC folks are buying this at retail because of the file size? Has there been any other info on the PC version recently? They need to start the pre load now lol.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I had a weird crash (360) at the beginning of Chapter 6 right as the transition from cinematic to gameplay took place — the screen just went black and I got booted back to the dashboard. I wasn't able to get it to happen again after re-loading a couple of times, though. Weird. Did that happen to anyone else at that point?

Chapter 5, though, damn.
One of the best shoot-the-hell-out-of-everything boat/chase sequences I've ever played.

Sethos

Banned
So I assume most PC folks are buying this at retail because of the file size? Has there been any other info on the PC version recently? They need to start the pre load now lol.

Only the benchmark chart and news that it's going to be 4 DVDs, so 35GB is plausible despite some people who say otherwise.

I'm still getting the Steam version for sure, 35GB is nothing.

Papercuts

I found the entirety of chapter 13 to be pretty annoying, the last fight especially so. I feel like the game is really dragging at this point and I actually hope the last chapter is short, the game starts to just feel even more by the books at this point compared to most other shooters. The bulletcam always lets you know the fight is over, then you get to whatever door you go through and Max always slowly walks instead, then it's a short cutscene ending with him taking cover as another room fills with guys, repeat over and over and over again until you hit a bigger cutscene that does something with the story.

I've played a bit more of the multiplayer, and I don't think I'm really feeling it. It feels just too inconsistent to me at a pure gameplay level. I feel like sometimes I can kill people quickly and other times it's as if I'm shooting blanks. Same goes for other players in that I feel like they can kill me stupidly quick sometimes, spinning around and appearing to only shoot me once. I feel that the guns are fun to shoot, but they just feel so inconsistent for me most of the time. Also, there appears to be some sort of effect where bullets lose their potency over distance, and I'm not sure how I feel about that...

I don't really care for the unlock system and all of the items and bursts as they make the MP a convoluted mess in my eyes. This system of custom, player driven loadouts that every multiplayer game has to incorporate now is just not my cup of tea.

I really like the presentation and UI of the multiplayer, and while I don't really care for the unlock, 'carrot on a stick' system; the way that they broke up XP and Cash is great I think.

I'll continue to play the multi and see if I feel differently about it after more playtime. I'm at least going to hit level 50, but I'm not sure if I'll do the Legend stuff at this point. If you guys want to play don't be afraid to send me an invite. My 360 Gamertag is 'theUnjust', just shoot an invite my way and I'll play whatever.

willooi

I had a weird crash (360) at the beginning of Chapter 6 right as the transition from cinematic to gameplay took place — the screen just went black and I got booted back to the dashboard. I wasn't able to get it to happen again after re-loading a couple of times, though. Weird. Did that happen to anyone else at that point?

I had a black screen midway through the opening cutscene on disc 2 but the audio played normally beneath it. Thought it was intentional at first. Upon restarting it made me put disc 1 back in to replay the final checkpoint on disc 1, re-insert disc 2 again, but then it worked fine. Annoying, but hopefully a one off.

Well, considering the fact that I wasn't born yesterday and that I can read, when "still loading" continues to pop up on the screen 4 minutes into a 5 minute cutscene, I can deduce that this idiot game is - you guessed it - still loading.

Rockstar have just bitten off more than they can chew here. That's all it is. It's a disgrace. And if it were just a static loading screen, I'd have even more ammunition to tear Rockstar apart for their shitty development choices, which kind of seems unfathomable to me right now.

Don't. Make. Your. Game. That. Goddamn. Intensive. That. It. Needs. Two. Minutes. To. Load. After. Every. One. Minute.

I feel this game is getting a severely unwarranted "free pass" on a lot of issues.

Top Bottom