• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Blutonium

Just another potentially good competitive MP experienced ruined to add a lot of shitty randomness and small spikes of "fun moments". Think I'll write Rockstar an email about a vanilla mode.

Anyone know which mail they use for Max Payne related questions

I've seen mouthoff@rockstargames.com mentioned by Rockstar employees on the Max Payne Newswire. Obviously it's not Max Payne only, but since employees allow game related questions through this mail, I suggest you use it.

Just another potentially good competitive MP experienced ruined to add a lot of shitty randomness and small spikes of "fun moments". Think I'll write Rockstar an email about a vanilla mode.

Anyone know which mail they use for Max Payne related questions

here!

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...3-multiplayer-community-feedback-welcome.html

and

MaxFeedback@rockstargames.com

I for one am all for a vanilla multiplayer mode, maybe with bullet time being the only perk available. The rocket spamming at the start of some matches can get pretty fucking annoying. One thing we might be able to do is setup up some personal NeoGang matches and edit our own game options. Plus we would all get bonus XP from playing together.

Fuck man, I just played mutli for the first time in like a week and I was just getting destroyed. Was a different story last week. I forgot if you stop playing mutliplayer games everyone else gets better.

Grisby

Question for people who have been playing mutli: What gametype have you been playing? Gangwars seems to be the most popular. I like it a lot, but I haven't spent a lot of time with it, because I'm not very good at it.
Not a lot of people playing gang wars for me the past couple of nights. I've been going through each list although I like Payne Killer the most so far.

Sethos

Banned

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fuck man, I just played mutli for the first time in like a week and I was just getting destroyed. Was a different story last week. I forgot if you stop playing mutliplayer games everyone else gets better.
Heh, yeah, that's my issue as well. I simply don't have the time to dedicate to becoming proficient at these games so it's pretty much impossible to jump in for some quick fun at random. If you haven't been putting in serious time you're going to get stomped.

Heh, yeah, that's my issue as well. I simply don't have the time to dedicate to becoming proficient at these games so it's pretty much impossible to jump in for some quick fun at random. If you haven't been putting in serious time you're going to get stomped.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying that the progression is so slow too. It feels like you haven't done anything at the end of the round if you played poorly. I normally and in the top 3 but just now I had only one game where i was top 3 and the rest was bottom of the barrel.

geebee

Banned
Probably off-topic, but have there been any Max Payne parody videos involving animals? Maybe something along the lines of Medal of Honor Cat.. except with bullet time lol?

Like I was saying before, maybe we should just setup our own NeoGang matches. Make a dedicated thread, and come up with good times throughout the week everyone could get together to play some big matches.

Let me know how many people are interested and what would be the best time for people to play.

The best modes seem to be the deathmatch and payne killer modes, since those are the ones that put you on the smaller maps which maximizes the potential for bullet-time shootdodgey goodness and minimizes the people-on-rooftops-with-assault-rifles effect of the bigger maps on gang wars and such.

I think its pretty funny, especially the tier 3 one that turns on FF and vendettas. Hilarious seeing teammates go nuts and shoot everyone. I don't know if its a bug or not, but you can tell who is a foe by the size of the dot on the radar. A smaller red dot is a TRUE enemy, whereas a larger red dot is a friendly(I believe this holds true for disguised players as well).

Also, the disguise one is GODLIKE at times. I've used it a few times to flank enemies holding a cap point, turn it on, and then waste them all.

The equipment that makes your name less visible is actually REALLY good too but you almost never see anyone with it because they want their bulletproof vest.

I thought there was a clue in the police station that implies that Victor/Becker tipped them off?

Was there? Damn. One thing I wish that occurred during subsequent playthroughs is that when you look at clues, you can hear Max's inner monologue filling in the blanks. I love those parts. It only happens during real crucial ones. Regarding Chapter 13
Like when you find and investigate the projector. I thought that was a real key moment of the Chapter and now when I go back I cant hear what Max is saying =/

Ridley327

I thought there was a clue in the police station that implies that Victor/Becker tipped them off?

Like I mentioned, why would Victor want Marcelo dead then? His campaign was going well and he was clearly benefiting from Marcelo being an unwitting partner in his overall scheme. It made more sense to have him killed after his numbers were dropping for the sympathy votes.

It's the same story for Becker, since he's in Victor's pocket and seems to enjoy being there.

That's my main problem too. I have so many demands and priorities in my life; a guy in his forties with a family can't sit around playing video games every day. I do alright, but I'll never be a dominant mp player.

Gave multiplayer and arcade another try last night and it looks like this game doesn't have anything else for me after that awesome campaign.

Final thoughts? Love and regret. Love in that even with all the small things that annoy me its definitely one of my GOTY picks it not THE pick right now, and its one for the history books. And I say this hating the very idea of a linear cinematic riddled shooter, but Rockstar somehow pulled it off. What a moody, violent, strange and dark trip.

Regret because I just want a side mode that lets me play with those mechanics outside of multiplayer, and without being stopped every 30 seconds by (many unskippable) cut-scenes.

Guess I'm more than ready for GTA5 ;P

Sethos

Banned
Okay, wrote Rockstar about a vanilla mode and also asked about a no-respawn mode of some sort - Team Survival / de_ type mode.

That would make me the happiest gal on earth.

cut scene after cut scene after fucking cut scene. this is getting ridiculous and i'm only in the third chapter. is the whole game like this?

Yup and it only gets worse. It damn near ruins what would otherwise be a great game.

I was playing MP last night and there was only 500 people playing free aim gang wars. The multi is screwed if R* doesn't make soft lock a casual mode that kicks the player out at a certain lvl.

Drewsky

Multi's just not clicking with me. I want to like it so bad but the controls in this game just aren't tight enough for me to even want to try to play it competitively. Guess I'll play the single player over and over till I get sick of it, like I did with the other games.

NIN90

Wait, is Oldschool mode easier than Hard mode? Up to the third chapter and been breezing through sections (and not using any painkillers) where I had a real hard time on Hard.

theJwac

I haven't finished story mode, but I'm on Chapter 7. I've been enjoying the hell out of multiplayer. I think it is a ton of fun but I agree with the softlock criticisms. I can't believe people play with that garbage on.

So am I right in thinking... free aim doesn't get pitted against soft lock?

Also, what does the red tonic that is on my target when I'm killed mean?

Gave multiplayer and arcade another try last night and it looks like this game doesn't have anything else for me after that awesome campaign.

Final thoughts? Love and regret. Love in that even with all the small things that annoy me its definitely one of my GOTY picks it not THE pick right now, and its one for the history books. And I say this hating the very idea of a linear cinematic riddled shooter, but Rockstar somehow pulled it off. What a moody, violent, strange and dark trip.

Regret because I just want a side mode that lets me play with those mechanics outside of multiplayer, and without being stopped every 30 seconds by (many unskippable) cut-scenes.

Guess I'm more than ready for GTA5 ;P

I would hold onto the game until they come out with the co-op DLC. I know that is what I am looking forward to the most.

New York Minute mode wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to sit through all these cutscenes every single fucking time! This game has morbidly long loading times; shocking stuff.

Lima

Wait, is Oldschool mode easier than Hard mode? Up to the third chapter and been breezing through sections (and not using any painkillers) where I had a real hard time on Hard.
It is the same as hard difficulty but you regenerate bullet time by killing enemies. And you are just better at the game now.

rvy

Banned
I was already heavily impressed, but the game really turns it up a notch once you hit the favelas. Very cool. Loving every minute of it.
Hard as hell too, died a bunch of times on medium.

Jhoan

I did a massive marathon yesterday (playing on Hard with free aim;sensitivity at 8) and made it to Chapter 14. Man, do things get
super F'ed up for poor Max. Rodrigo, Fabiana, Marcello, the New Jersey mafia after Max, Panama, getting his watch and guns stolen, having multiple near-death experiences, getting double crossed by Rodrigo's middle brother; it's crazy.
And the violence in this game is so grisly and brutal. When Max
sliced the dude's neck with a Machete in Brazil, that made me cringe a bit. Fabiana's death was the lowest point for him. After Fabiana died, I kept wondering who's next (Marcello's death was expected) and thought it'd be her sister but I guess not.

While playing on Hard is fair (every death was my fault), there were a few places that I died more than 10 times on such as the
the Imperial Hotel rooftop, Rodrigo's building, the boss fight with the dude who killed Rodrigo (I ended up killing him with shotgun blindfire).
The guns do feel satisfying in this game, and the shotguns are really good and surprisingly powerful.

Also, blind firing in this game is a must to get past most encounters; it's been extremely useful as I've found to be more a lot more handy than shoot-dodging (which is super risky to do on higher difficulty levels). I'm eager to see how it ends because it's been one hell of a ride. I plan on jumping into the MP after I beat it. I'll post any other impressions after I beat the game, but I gotta say, R* is a master of detailed environments.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I was already heavily impressed, but the game really turns it up a notch once you hit the favelas. Very cool. Loving every minute of it.

I did love Panama. The soundtrack for this is soooo good <3

Fry

O jogo é do caralho?

Getting it between wednesday-thursday. Fuck ittt!

Raptomex

I went through each chapter at least 2 times yesterday to collect everything then I played some chapters in arcade mode. This game is addicting. I love the story and cutscenes. I'm hoping the PC version really reduces the loading because it can take a few minutes to skip a cutscene. Luckily you can jump to a checkpoint within a chapter.

endgame spoilers within.

my problem with the boat scene was that I didn't understand where the militant guys came from. Marcelo didn't seem concerned about them at all, were they police or something? it seems like he should've cared a little more that the boat was getting raided by whoever these guys were.

Also, I'm still not sure on whether Passos was aware of the organ stealing thing or not. On the boat, Max complains about liver damage from drinking too much and Passos says, "Can always get a new one." It was probably just some foreshadowing but still, even when he said it I remember it sticking with me as very odd.

I would hold onto the game until they come out with the co-op DLC. I know that is what I am looking forward to the most.
Yeah. I'll keep it. Just passing it along to friends who were never interested. I definitely want more Max Payne 3, whether those are side stories or co-op.

New York Minute mode wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to sit through all these cutscenes every single fucking time! This game has morbidly long loading times; shocking stuff.
I don't think all the cut-scenes are there to hide loading, and I'm pretty sure some are just plain unskippable regardless. There are a few optional cut-scenes in the campaign where you might just have an interesting conversation with somebody random, and some of these involve cut-scenes that can be skipped while others can't. But you can just avoid starting them and have no loads whatsoever. So I'm not entirely sure whats going on under the hood but don't think its all about background loading necessarily.

Raptomex

So I've gone through every chapter at least twice. I understand the
organ smuggling and the black market money used for victor's campaign
, but after reading through the plot and playing the game exclusively for a week I don't understand the purpose of
kidnapping Fabiana, Giovanna, and Marcelo. And why did they kill Fabiana and Marcelo
? I don't understand. What was the point?
Was that all part of Victor's plans too? Ransom money?

Ridley327

I don't think all the cut-scenes are there to hide loading, and I'm pretty sure some are just plain unskippable regardless. There are a few optional cut-scenes in the campaign where you might just have an interesting conversation with somebody random, and some of these can be skipped while others can't. But you can just avoid them altogether and have no loads whatsoever. So I'm not entirely sure whats going on under the hood but don't think its all about background loading necessarily.

You can try skipping any cutscene and it will come up with the messages STILL LOADING on the bottom. The game is just that bad at managing loads.

Is there a multiplayer perk that turns you invisible?

Also, I'm getting into situations where I'm getting shot once and have died, only to see my kill report and I've been shot 4-8 times.

Thinking this is a single player only game so far...

NIN90

Also, blind firing in this game is a must to get past most encounters; it's been extremely useful as I've found to be more a lot more handy than shoot-dodging (which is super risky to do on higher difficulty levels).

Weird, I'm the complete opposite. Shootdodging was essential in most shootouts because of the invulnerability and the chance to take out 1-3 guys on average while blindfire got me killed a lot because the enemies have sick aim.

You can try skipping any cutscene and it will come up with the messages STILL LOADING on the bottom. The game is just that bad at managing loads.
I know it says that, but I'm not sure its always accurate. Consider one example:
In the favela, just before you enter the strip club you have the option of going up to a booth to talk to the ex-cop you *may* have talked to in the club mission (he was in one of the bathroom stalls in that mission).

Now in the favela, if you just walk right past his booth without interacting with it, you get a skippable cut-scene before entering the club. If you DO interact with him you can't skip his cut-scene. The whole thing has to play out, and you are once again faced with a tiny skippable cut-scene before entering the club. So what is it loading? Besides itself?

Makes me think that some cut-scenes are just unskippable regardless of background loading, and that whether its loading or not you'll see the "Still loading" message whenever you try to skip one. I could be completely wrong about this but its still strange behavior.

Raptomex

Weird, I'm the complete opposite. Shootdodging was essential in most shootouts because of the invulnerability and the chance to take out 1-3 guys on average while blindfire got me killed a lot because the enemies have sick aim.
I prefer to use shootdodge myself but I don't think you're invulnerable. I'm pretty sure I've gotten shot while in bullet time and shootdodge.

Ridley327

I know it says that, but consider one example:
In the favela, just before you enter the strip club you have the option of going up to a booth to talk to the ex-cop you *may* have talked to in the club mission (he was in one of the bathroom stalls in that mission).

Now in the favela, if you just walk right past his booth without interacting with it, you get a skippable cut-scene before entering the club. If you DO interact with him you can't skip that cut-scene. The whole thing has to play out, and you are once again faced with a tiny skippable cut-scene before entering the club.

Makes me think that some cut-scenes are just unskippable regardless of background loading, and that whether its loading or not you'll see the "Still loading" message whenever you try to skip one. I could be completely wrong about this but its still strange behavior.

I'd say that their presence in the arcade modes is all that needs to be said on the subject.

It's really weird, since I don't recall GTA4 having troubles with loading outside of the boot-up.

Top Bottom