• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I do hope they do a Max Payne 4, they've got a lot of assets and mechanics they can add and just tweak to improve on, and then polish on the weaknesses that have been received upon feedback. What do you think the chances are on seeing a sequel any time soon, since this is Rockstar Games we are talking here?

Ridley327

I do hope they do a Max Payne 4, they've got a lot of assets and mechanics they can add and just tweak to improve on, and then polish on the weaknesses that have been received upon feedback. What do you think the chances are on seeing a sequel any time soon, since this is Rockstar Games we are talking here?

"Sequels" and "anytime soon" being mentioned together in the same sentence is something of a foreign concept at Rockstar.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
"Sequels" and "anytime soon" being mentioned together in the same sentence is something of a foreign concept at Rockstar.

I could see one of their studios wanting to take on the franchise as that production teams mantel. I am sure they had many ideas and concepts they wanted to put into this game but had no time or didn't work as they wanted for this title. Plus
the mafia boss is still alive and I would love to see a more sober Max returning to new Jersey and returning home

Raptomex

According to Dan Houser himself:
In a November 2011 interview, Dan Houser of Rockstar Games said that despite what the general public might think, Rockstar likes to "spend a bit of time" at the end of projects before deciding what to do next. "Basically we have been meaning to start [Max Payne 3] for a while, but we have limited bandwidth and limited studios, and more games to make than we've started. So suddenly it was a good slot," Houser said, explaining why it took eight years to follow up Max Payne 2. "Also, contrary to a lot of people, we like to take a little bit of time at the end of a game before starting a sequel, so we can wait for the excitement or disappointment and everything else of the experience to shake down and really see what we should do in the next game."

I could see one of their studios wanting to take on the franchise as that production teams mantel. I am sure they had many ideas and concepts they wanted to put into this game but had no time or didn't work as they wanted for this title. Plus
the mafia boss is still alive and I would love to see a more sober Max returning to new Jersey and returning home
I don't need a Max Payne 4 anytime soon but I'd love to see some DLC packs released with side stories. Maybe focus more on the original New York Max stuff, and some of what may have gone down between MP2 and MP3.

Arcteryx

Is there a multiplayer perk that turns you invisible?

Also, I'm getting into situations where I'm getting shot once and have died, only to see my kill report and I've been shot 4-8 times.

Thinking this is a single player only game so far...

I might be wrong, but I think it includes hits you take where you regen health. I know I've been killed by a headshot before, only to see a couple leg hits that I KNOW I did not receive from that player. Either that or there is some SERIOUS lag in MP.

Raptomex

God what are the chances of actual single player DLC? There hasnt been one mention and all of those multiplayer releases they already stated run straight into the holiday...unless they surprise us. Heres hopin.
Yeah, they announced all this DLC before the game's release and it's all multiplayer. But single player DLC would be really nice.

wwm0nkey

I might be wrong, but I think it includes hits you take where you regen health. I know I've been killed by a headshot before, only to see a couple leg hits that I KNOW I did not receive from that player. Either that or there is some SERIOUS lag in MP.

Its shots you get before your health comes back, I was on a 10 kill spree and when I got killed by a headshot there was a couple hundred bullets in me lol

Simo

Yeah, they announced all this DLC before the game's release and it's all multiplayer. But single player DLC would be really nice.

I'd imagine they'd wait a while after the game release to announce single player DLC as not to ruin the game's ending and all but yeah, I'd love to see some DLC involving
Max going back home and ridding NYC of the 2 warring mafia families.

I think you're right on both counts.

I'd imagine they'd wait a while after the game release to announce single player DLC as not to ruin the game's ending and all but yeah, I'd love to see some DLC involving

65447443.gif

That sounds... fantastic.

Blutonium

Oh yeah that would be awesome! Any DLC I'll be buying for this game has to be singleplayer DLC. I'm still not feeling the multiplayer...

I think I'm going to give Rockstar some feedback too, since they're asking for it. One thing that bugs me about the singleplayer - and can be fixed easily - is this: Once the killcam starts on a final kill, Max always goes for the headshot. It would be a lot cooler if he kept shooting at the body part where he was aiming when triggering the killcam.

Raptomex

I'm surprised
Mona was only mentioned once or twice in the story
. In fact I'm surprised
she's not a big part of Max's life at all.
. I thought the hardest mode in MP2, that ending was canon because if that is canon then
Mona should be alive
. Anyway, some DLC explaining shit like that and the
Mafia stuff
would be great.

DiZ_O

Banned
Why the fuck does my camera keep going over his left shoulder every time after running or a fast walk?
I toggle the camera to the right, run a lil' bit, and boom, camera is over the other shoulder again.
It just started doing this in the 4th or 5th chapter, the one where
you're stealthfully going in the harbor

Oh yeah that would be awesome! Any DLC I'll be buying for this game has to be singleplayer DLC. I'm still not feeling the multiplayer...

I think I'm going to give Rockstar some feedback too, since they're asking for it. One thing that bugs me about the singleplayer - and can be fixed easily - is this: Once the killcam starts on a final kill, Max always goes for the headshot. It would be a lot cooler if he kept shooting at the body part where he was aiming when triggering the killcam.

Where can we give them feedback? Can you post a link?

Simo

I'm surprised
. In fact I'm surprised
. I thought the hardest mode in MP2, that ending was canon because if that is canon then
Mona should be alive
Mafia stuff
would be great.

Having the 2 endings in MP2 makes any one of them canon tricky but for me it'd be the one that everybody would see in which
Mona dies
. I liked the passing reference to her though
when he apologizes for the "Mona thing" to his dead wife at the grave.

Arcteryx

I'm surprised
. In fact I'm surprised
Mona should be alive
Mafia stuff
would be great.

Yea I'm quite surprised they didn't go along with that(IMO) canonical ending in MP2. It just felt weird to have absolutely zilch in that regard.

On the plus side, I was able to customize one of the
female
MP characters to look almost identical to
her

Raptomex

Having the 2 endings in MP2 makes any one of them canon tricky but for me it'd be the one that everybody would see in which
Mona dies
. I liked the passing reference to her though
when he apologizes for the "Mona thing" to his dead wife at the grave.
Yeah but still. I'm quite certain I read somewhere that the hardest mode of Max Payne 2 has the canon ending meaning
Mona could still be alive
. I didn't see a
grave for her in the cemetary chapter (I didn't really look hard either)
or anything like that. Plus,
MP2 was a love noir story but now he just gave up on her
? It would be cool if they could explain what happened there.

Hey guys I asked this previously but I didn't get an answer.

Does anyone know if Max Payne 2 runs at the resolution of 2560x1440 by any chance? Really wanting to reinstall it.

Thanks.

MMaRsu

Yea I'm quite surprised they didn't go along with that(IMO) canonical ending in MP2. It just felt weird to have absolutely zilch in that regard.

On the plus side, I was able to customize one of the
female
MP characters to look almost identical to
her

If you can get your hands on a preorder code or hopefully it will be DLC but there is a classic Max Payne where you can actually play as that character in multiplayer.

To the above : I'm pretty sure no, but maybe there's a way to change some ini file or something. I think it goes up to 1600? Not suyre.

Defunkled

Does this game have some technical issues or am I crazy? I've had it freeze up on 5 separate times, which caused me to lose a sizable chunk of progress every time. Also, the sound has dropped out on multiple occasions during cutscenes. And now I'm at the part in Chapter VII where Passos goes around the van and distracts the group of mobsters while you sneak up on them. Every time I kill all the guys, Passos gets away but the screen still says "Fail" and the game locks up. Help please?

Does this game have some technical issues or am I crazy? I've had it freeze up on 5 separate times, which caused me to lose a sizable chunk of progress every time. Also, the sound has dropped out on multiple occasions during cutscenes. And now I'm at the part in Chapter VII where Passos goes around the van and distracts the group of mobsters while you sneak up on them. Every time I kill all the guys, Passos gets away but the screen still says "Fail" and the game locks up. Help please?
Never had a single issue on my 360 version, either in single or multiplayer. Is this a PS3 thing?

Arcteryx

If you can get your hands on a preorder code or hopefully it will be DLC but there is a classic Max Payne where you can actually play as that character in multiplayer.

To the above : I'm pretty sure no, but maybe there's a way to change some ini file or something. I think it goes up to 1600? Not suyre.

Hopefully it's been re-modeled, because the one in Arcade mode for classic Max looks pretty hilarious. The face texture doesn't really lineup with the geometry of the model...looks SOOOO bad lol. I'd rather have the square headed face look instead.

Never had a single issue on my 360 version, either in single or multiplayer. Is this a PS3 thing?
I've seen issues reported on both, but seems like PS3 is the leader. R* replied to a couple emails from me and said they were investigating, but just to try deleting the PS3 data and re-installing.

I've had my fair share of falling through the map, lockups, and audio dropouts :(

I only suffered from one game breaking bug (PS3 version) and it was at the end of Chapter 12. You know how if you die enough, the system will give you a bottle of painkillers, and if you die even MORE youll get an additonal bottle? Well at that end shootout, if I managed to die enough to score two bottles my game would just lock up, black screen and everything and it happened three times in a row (that part is ROUGH on Hard). That whole scene ended up turning into an extreme "get better NOW" scenario. I still managed to do it, but man it felt like I was balancing on a tightrope over a pit of razors the entire time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hey guys I asked this previously but I didn't get an answer.

Does anyone know if Max Payne 2 runs at the resolution of 2560x1440 by any chance? Really wanting to reinstall it.

Thanks.

Yes, but Max Payne 1/2 will be stretched with widescreen resolutions. I set up the 4:3 equivalent to 2560x1440 (1920x1440) in my videocard drivers and the game picked up the resolution just fine and maintained a proper 4:3 with black bars on the side.

Arcteryx

I only suffered from one game breaking bug (PS3 version) and it was at the end of Chapter 12. You know how if you die enough, the system will give you a bottle of painkillers, and if you die even MORE youll get an additonal bottle? Well at that end shootout, if I managed to die enough to score two bottles my game would just lock up, black screen and everything and it happened three times in a row (that part is ROUGH on Hard). That whole scene ended up turning into an extreme "get better NOW" scenario. I still managed to do it, but man it felt like I was balancing on a tightrope over a pit of razors the entire time.

Same thing happened to me at the EXACT same spot. As if that part wasn't infuriating enough it has to go and crash on top of it...

dsk1210

Yes, but Max Payne 1/2 will be stretched with widescreen resolutions. I set up the 4:3 equivalent to 2560x1440 (1920x1440) in my videocard drivers and the game picked up the resolution just fine and maintained a proper 4:3 with black bars on the side.

I have started playing through max payne 2 in 3d on the pc, it is annoying that the game does not suppourt 16.9 aspect ratio, just stretches 4.3 and no way to adjust it in 3d.

Jhoan

It has a couple of them (360 here). Yesterday, my game froze in a black screen. Other things that I've noticed is that whenever Max crouches, he bounces up and down causing him to clip through the floor. Thankfully, it's never happened during a fire fight, but it is annoying nonetheless. I've never experienced any sound issues myself and I play with headphones on.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I will say. I love Wilson's VA. I think he's the best actor in the game.

Also, I don't think Marcelo's that bad. He's kind of a douche, but I don't think he's a total piece of shit. He's generally a pretty nice guy.

Holy shit at Fabiana dying. Did not see that coming, lol.
Holy shit at
Max's response to that, and the final "payback"

If you've finished the game, I'm referring to
letting the man who pulled the trigger go. Makes no fucking sense.

Also experienced this bug in the same location/circumstance, so it seems to be quite common.

Along with audio dropouts during a few cutscenes, too. Smooth sailing otherwise.

Ridley327

Holy shit at

I thought Max explained it well enough; there really was nothing Max could do to him than what he already had to endure while waiting to be the next body carted out of the holding room in the hotel.

I stared at the flying bottle and cigarette and solemnly accepted what a caricature I had become.

I stared at the bottom of yet another empty bottle, and realized that nobody cared what I had done or what I was about to do. If I was going to be invisible to these people, I might as well go the whole nine yards.

joe2187

Banned
Holy shit at

He was used the same way that Max was used by the brancos, by that point He already figured out most of what victor was behind, He still cared for taking care of the women but his vendetta was shifted towards the men behind it all, after witnessing what was happening to his people it was best to let him have his vengeance.

dreamfall

I love the game completely but something that really bothered me were just the
passing references to Mona. I'm not even sure if this needs to be tagged, but just in case. I understand that at the grave he apologizes to his wife, but it bothers me that he's almost seemingly unfazed by Mona's death. Their relationship in the second game felt so vital to the story and here, it's almost as if he's done everything to forget her completely (yet he still reacts strongly enough to try to find Fabianna and save Giovanna). Protecting Max with a sniper rifle was one of my favorite moments ever in a videogame- the score kicked in, adrenaline shot up, and it turned into a beautiful sequence of bullets hitting each individual enemy in slow motion. SHE SAVED HIM TWICE (in both 1 +2)! You can't forget her!

I think his muttering at the T.V. commercial for "Hotel Mona" was a high point. I almost jumped! I kept thinking, finally, his subconscious repressed memories are going to sweep us both with some nostalgia. But his own revelation of probably going insane chased it away. I needed more. Embittered cynical musings or hallucinations of her or something.

So give us some single player DLC- I love Simo's idea! But make sure we see her too!

Top Bottom