• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Montresor

Speaking of Free Aim, I've had it set to that from the start in my campaign here. But there are sometimes where I know I'm not imagining things and the reticule drags towards an enemy I'm just off center of. It's happened numerous times throughout, and every time I go to check the settings to see if it reverted somehow. Never does.

There's an option called Target Tracking under game play settings, I think. You can turn it off from there if you don't want it. That's what's giving you that subtle nudge towards an enemy, even with free aim.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Will you jump into the multiplayer now EatChildren? I don't know how it is on PC, but on consoles it's pretty damn amazing ( aside from the retarded player base split and playlists unlocks ). If you don't get disconnected in the middle of a game where you're winning that is. Nothing more infuriating then that.

I'll give it a shot as I wan't to see what it's like, but I don't know if it will stick. Like vatstep my tolerance for multiplayer games has decreased over the years. At heart, I'm a single player gamer. I like pushing through an experience, no matter what it is, knowing there are goals or an end. Multiplayer is a singular ecosystem where you're either enjoying the mechanics or you're not, as there's no real draw beyond that.

I used to obsess over Team Fortress 2 but haven't touched it in months. Probably put more hours into Mass Effect 2's multiplayer than anything.

I will try it, but unless it blows me away I doubt I'll stick with it.

pakkit

Banned
I assume by choices you mean like 4 or 5 situations when you're behind cover and you face a "choice" to shoot or not to shoot enemies. Well, yeah, these are not really choices, just challenges that you can accept, or move away from, I don't mind them, they're pretty good for what they are. It just strikes me as you are giving Rockstar too much credit.

There is that, there is the fact that you can kill innocents and have them react (in Hoboken for example you can kill the bartend and the woman you protected, and she'll exclaim "I thought you were one of the good guys!"). There a lot of little things that could have been completely ignored, yet Houser and co. took the time to have them acknowledged, which I appreciate.

That said, I agree with EatChildren that Houser should give up the reins sometimes as a writer. His tropes are becoming a little tiresome, and I know Rockstar can do better.

volturnus

Banned
One part of the game that I felt got Max's character completely wrong was (Chapter 4: Anyone Can Buy Me a Drink spoilers)
him point blank shooting and killing Tony. Yes, he hit a woman, and was waving around a gun. Yes, he was a Jersey Shore piece of shit. But it was so...uh. Such typical fucking Rockstar writing of making Max do something just to put him in a situation that will drive a chapter of the story. Look at Max Payne 2, when Max shoots Winterson. Point blank shooting first against a character that you're not sure deserves to truly die was a character defining moment. It was a pivotal narrative point that arguably defined Max Payne 2, particularly Max's relationship with Mona. The kind of decision that you're not sure is right or wrong but once it's done there's no going back.

Max shooting Tony seemed reckless and stupid. And not interesting or redeemable stupid, with interesting growth or development for Max's character. Just plain old fashioned stupid.
It wasn't stupid IMO,
Max knew bullets would fly anyway when Tony came back with all his thugs armed, he simply shot first when he got pissed.

KalBalboa

Banned
It wasn't stupid IMO,
Max knew bullets would fly anyway when Tony came back with all his thugs armed, he simply shot first when he got pissed.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but the scene could have been directed better to convey Max's feelings. As it played out, it
really came off ill-calculated on Max's behalf. He's smarter than that and it would have helped to explain, visually, why Max would be angered enough to blow away a dumb "kid" like that.

Salsa

I'll give it a shot as I wan't to see what it's like, but I don't know if it will stick. Like vatstep my tolerance for multiplayer games has decreased over the years. At heart, I'm a single player gamer. I like pushing through an experience, no matter what it is, knowing there are goals or an end. Multiplayer is a singular ecosystem where you're either enjoying the mechanics or you're not, as there's no real draw beyond that.

I used to obsess over Team Fortress 2 but haven't touched it in months. Probably put more hours into Mass Effect 2's multiplayer than anything.

I will try it, but unless it blows me away I doubt I'll stick with it.

You'd be surprised. It's quite addicting.

Make sure to join the crew:

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/neogang_pc

(also just accepted all recent requests)

I simply am loving this game (this is my first Max Payne game I know I know shame on me) I cant help but feel like this is what Kane and Lynch 2 should have been like...

Jhoan

I may eventually, but I'm pretty occupied with other games right now. I just don't really play MP games that much anymore, either. As I've gotten older I've just become tired of the frustration that can come with them.

It's understandable; I know the feeling man. I'm a bigger fan of cooperative multiplayer games myself such as ME3's and Horde as well as primarily single player games. I've slowly begun relax and not take a game let alone a losing game seriously. I've done pretty good in Deathmatch, not number 1 but either numbers 4-2. The most satisfying thing about the MP is getting into a shootdodge with multiple opponents, taking them all out as the slow motion ends, and watching the bodies drop.

I was really surprised that the game doesn't penalize the player for killing innocents in this game. I thought for sure that the game was going to make me restart the checkpoint when I shot someone in the favela level. Hell, I was even surprised by the fact that Max was able to get away with
all the destruction that he caused in Brazil. Now that I think about it, Da Silva turned a blind eye to all of it in exchange for nabbing Victor and taking out the CS.

Zeliard

- Like so many Rockstar games, the protagonist is a pathetic, useless vessel that exists only to ferry the player through the rest of the story. For almost the entire game Max is told what to do and where to go. Almost never does Max express any independence, control or will.

That's kind of the point. Max is a slave to his own impulses, which have at that point become entirely self-destructive and easily manipulated by others. He tags along with Passos basically on a whim because he's drinking himself to death, has nothing better to do, and Passos conveying a modicum of friendship and solidarity is enough to get him to do anything at that point.

Throughout the game Max expresses the fact that he's killing tons of people for others, hates himself for that, but can't bring himself to do anything else.

Ahh just experienced my first cheater. Guy was getting lit up in the comments, as well as by me I might add.

The name is Sonnygun, on PC, so if you come across him just report. I think I'll probably do the same.

Why do people cheat lol? It boggles my mind...

volturnus

Banned
Ahh just experienced my first cheater. Guy was getting lit up in the comments, as well as by me I might add.

The name is Sonnygun, on PC, so if you come across him just report. I think I'll probably do the same.

Why do people cheat lol? It boggles my mind...
Your first? I find it incredibly common. Also, there's no specific way to report cheating, or at least none that I know of.
I'll stay put until Rockstar releases some updates fixing cheating, latency and balance issues.

Enco

Welp.

Now MP3 wont even load on PC.

I verified cache and it crashes on the first load. I verified again and it opened to a black screen. I reset steam and now it wont even open the game. "Game is unavailable.

Fuck this shit.

Fjordson

Damn, some of you really dislike Dan Houser...I really enjoy his work... =[

Or at least his dialogue, characters, and all of the um...miscellaneous stuff in Rockstar's games for lack of a better term that give them added character (GTA radio stations, the fake brands, the silent movies in Red Dead Redemption, etc.). Max Payne's story beats and how they were connected (as well as the underdeveloped villains) were a little underwhelming.

fellow gaffians

I seek aid.

Is there anywhere I can go to see a damage chart / weapon charts for the multiplayer guns?

I really want to look at some stats... :)

Deadbeat

Banned
fellow gaffians

I seek aid.

Is there anywhere I can go to see a damage chart / weapon charts for the multiplayer guns?

I really want to look at some stats... :)

Just use the mini 30.

noone has ripped the data yet because its apparently heavily encrypted. Will have to wait for manual testers.

zkylon

zkylewd
Damn, some of you really dislike Dan Houser...I really enjoy his work... =[

Or at least his dialogue, characters, and all of the um...miscellaneous stuff in Rockstar's games for lack of a better term that give them added character (GTA radio stations, the fake brands, the silent movies in Red Dead Redemption, etc.). Max Payne's story beats and how they were connected (as well as the underdeveloped villains) were a little underwhelming.
I liked him best in Vice City. The game didn't take itself so seriously, and it had an overall satire tone that worked well with the typical Dan Houser writing. Games with more serious storylines and characters like GTA IV, Red Dead and MP3 make all of his writing quirks fall flat and his stories in general aren't all interesting to begin with. Sure, the ending of Red Dead was pretty great, but it was in spite of the Dan Houser brand, not thanks to him.

In MP3 it's specially noticeable when you compare it to the much more self-aware style of Sam Lake.

I liked him best in Vice City. The game didn't take itself so seriously, and it had an overall satire tone that worked well with the typical Dan Houser writing. Games with more serious storylines and characters like GTA IV, Red Dead and MP3 make all of his writing quirks fall flat and his stories in general aren't all interesting to begin with. Sure, the ending of Red Dead was pretty great, but it was in spite of the Dan Houser brand, not thanks to him.

In MP3 it's specially noticeable when you compare it to the much more self-aware style of Sam Lake.

just finished it on PC. overall I enjoyed Houser's script, but yes, would swap him for Lake in a heart beat.

fantastic goddamn game though.

one thing... why are the guns with laser sights harder to aim than the normal ones? that's hilarious to me, and i can't be the only one right?

zkylon

zkylewd
just finished it on PC. overall I enjoyed Houser's script, but yes, would swap him for Lake in a heart beat.

fantastic goddamn game though.

one thing... why are the guns with laser sights harder to aim than the normal ones? that's hilarious to me, and i can't be the only one right?
Happens to me as well. The semi-realistic recoil just makes me lose my aim completely so I always turn the laser sights off. It's pretty weird.

mudkyp

Finally beat the game today. Really liked the story. Was not expecting some of those twists and turns. People have taken issues with some of the motivations and the like throughout the game, but I found no issue with any of them. The presentation was top notch throughout. Score another one for Rockstar.

haikira

Few random tips for people, that I didn't learn for a while.

Lying down behind cover, but don't want to get shot to bits, when you stand up? Just hit the crouch button, to get up. I'm in the way, of almost always hitting C to get back up.

Ever need to lie down? Just hold the crouch button.

I found it helpful, assigning the swap camera button, to clicking on scroll. Clicking scroll is unused in single player, and picking what side the camera is on can be very useful at times.

Montresor

Few random tips for people, that I didn't learn for a while.

Lying down behind cover, but don't want to get shot to bits, when you stand up? Just hit the crouch button, to get up. I'm in the way, of almost always hitting C to get back up.

Ever need to lie down? Just hold the crouch button.

I found it helpful, assigning the swap camera button, to clicking on scroll. Clicking scroll is unused in single player, and picking what side the camera is on can be very useful at times.

This cannot be overstated. I used those buttons several dozen times in the New York Minute modes. Having the reticule over the right shoulder can be the difference between life and death.

Neverfade

I've had this since launch and just finally got into multiplayer tonight. Had a ton of fun, but starting about an hour ago, there weren't enough people on to even start up a match apparently. Bunk.

Alchemy

I really want to say I loved this game, but it has two of the worst scripted sequences I can remember. The
exploding rooftop and "boss fight" with the UFE guy you had to drop ceiling tiles on.
Someone had a massive boner for obnoxious screen shake and obviously spawning enemies (though this seemed like a major theme through the entire game), and the second sequence had a wonderful part that forced me to stand up out of cover after the "why the fuck was this part a cinema?" cinema so I could get promptly shot in the head by respawning goons.

Those parts just felt like amateur hour to me, not that the rest of the game is a shining testament to good game design. The writing was decent enough to move things along, even if it drags on simply because Max wants to strangle people instead of shooting them. Presentation was great as well. The game just feels... meh.

Alcander

Just beat the game. Thought it was really good! The presentation was amazing, and the story was honestly pretty good by game standards.

The
Favela
level surprised me the most in terms of its intricacy and scope. Even though it was linear, it really felt legitimately real.

One thing the game didnt have enough of: non-shooting segments! Damnit. I loved the shooting, thankfully, but I loved the sections (such as in the aforementioned level) where you got to walk around and take in the environment and progress the story without shooting. I know that's not really what the game is about, but even a little bit more would have been nice.

Question: Does Max ever have any monologue about how f-ing awesome of a shot/gun artist he is? I mean, this guy can take down hordes of dudes with constant headshots and aim in slow-mo, etc, but I can't recall if he ever mentions anything about it in the game (or previous games). Seems like an odd thing for a character who is so self-critical to not monologue about.

[edit] Oh, and I thought the last boss fight was kind of lame, just a needless amount of dudes at once, and shitty cover. Lame

The story presentation and action is fun, but the game is really annoying with constantly breaking any flow to the gameplay with the constant cut scenes. Loved MP1 and 2 with how it was non stop play, but killing a handful of dudes just to have another cutscene kick in just ruins it all. The actual shooting and gameplay feels and looks fantastic and this could have been one amazing game without all the constant pauses and cutscene transitions into holding your pistol.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The story presentation and action is fun, but the game is really annoying with constantly breaking any flow to the gameplay with the constant cut scenes. Loved MP1 and 2 with how it was non stop play, but killing a handful of dudes just to have another cutscene kick in just ruins it all. The actual shooting and gameplay feels and looks fantastic and this could have been one amazing game without all the constant pauses and cutscene transitions into holding your pistol.

It's not just the fact there's lots of cutscenes, it's that they're so goddamn long. That and most of the stuff he does in the cutscenes could've been in-game which is even more annoying.

But then strangely you get parts of the game like the mission just after he shaves his head where you slowly walk down an alley for 10 minutes only to be greeted by a cutscene that has nothing to do with anything. So you now have no guns, you walk round the corner, go into a club and spend the next 15 minutes in cutscenes. It's so boring.

B is the default to toggle any attachment on the PC.

I played the whole game without knowing this. I would just drop guns if they had lights or lasers lol.

It's not just the fact there's lots of cutscenes, it's that they're so goddamn long. That and most of the stuff he does in the cutscenes could've been in-game which is even more annoying.

But then strangely you get parts of the game like the mission just after he shaves his head where you slowly walk down an alley for 10 minutes only to be greeted by a cutscene that has nothing to do with anything. So you now have no guns, you walk round the corner, go into a club and spend the next 15 minutes in cutscenes. It's so boring.

I haven't even gotten that far yet and it's annoying, ugh. My GF walked by and was like "do you ever actually play a game or is this just a movie?", since every time she walked past the PC, I was in a long cutscene and she never saw an actual game being played heh.

Dabanton

Rockstar targets Max Payne 3 multiplayer cheats

Rockstar has announced a new initiative to combat cheaters in Max Payne 3 multiplayer.

In a post on its official blog, the developer acknowledged that "a small minority of players are spoiling the Max Payne 3 multiplayer experience for honest players with cheats and hacks".
While forthcoming title updates should help to put a stop to this sort of behaviour, Rockstar also revealed an additional measure to keep things clean for honest players.

"Anyone found to have used hacked saves, modded games, or other exploits to gain an unfair advantage in Max Payne 3 Multiplayer, or to circumvent the leaderboards will be quarantined from all other players into a 'Cheaters Pool', where they'll only be able to compete in multiplayer matches with other confirmed miscreants," it explained.

"In the event we decide to absolve any of these cheaters for their past transgressions they may re-enter play with the general public, however a second offense will result in their indefinite banishment.

"In either case, we will be removing invalid leaderboard entries to ensure that the players at the top of the charts have earned their spots fairly."
The studio is asking players to report any suspected cheats by emailing the following information to maxpayne3.banhammer@rockstargames.com:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-12-rockstar-targets-max-payne-3-multiplayer-cheats

Love the idea of a cheaters pool.

Let the scum play with each other.

Tookay

I want to love this game and when it works, it works but...

The level design is too limited for the kind of gameplay involved here. Narrow, straightforward corridors aren't exactly the best settings for some of the shootouts. Yet a good third of the game throws you in rooms that are too narrow for jumping or even strafing.

pelican

Many GAF playing as part of the crew? I know I'm a few weeks late getting stuck into the mp.

I've fired off an join request, but no joy yet. Only a couple of days though:)

njean777

I have to say I loved this game until the end, I had no problems with it until Rockstar decided to up the difficulty up a ridiculous amount at the end. WTF I have died 6 times now at the airport and its only the first killing room. Shit is pissing me off.

Having owned both parts one and two, this game has become a chore to finish. I don't know if my taste has changed sine part two but this feels so hollow, and the finish a mission go back and drink/pass out cutsceens are just cliche. Ill finish this but it will literally be out of principal.

Top Bottom