• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

I3rand0

Anyone else playing this online for PS3? I'm trying to get my grind on for level 50 and would love to play with other GAF members. PSN ID is I3rand0 and I'm on EST.

Card Boy

Banned
I haven't touched the SP yet, but have 16hrs in multiplayer. I'm playing Max Payne 2 atm. I clocked Max Payne 1 afew days ago. MP2 is so much better, and enemies don't 1 shot you as often as MP1. I played the games years ago when they came out but i forgot what happened in them.

Also anyone remember the TV Shows in MP2? I saw this yesterday. Its based on Max in MP1.

Dick_Justice_Intertitle.jpg

Also Lords and Ladies lol and how about Sam Lake in Address Unknown?

newsguy

Having owned both parts one and two, this game has become a chore to finish. I don't know if my taste has changed sine part two but this feels so hollow, and the finish a mission go back and drink/pass out cutsceens are just cliche. Ill finish this but it will literally be out of principal.

Damn... sounds to me like a...
url]

Nostalgic Nightmare

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
The only bug I really ran into was during the Panama stage - I seemingly got ahead of the action and all of the enemies hadn't triggered yet, so they were all in Jesus Christ poses with their arms extended. When the story caught up to where I was, they sprung to life... so weird.

BosSin

Even with all the criticism of this story, which is subjectively valid. I reckon it's better than most stories that are told in video games.

The only bug I really ran into was during the Panama stage - I seemingly got ahead of the action and all of the enemies hadn't triggered yet, so they were all in Jesus Christ poses with their arms extended. When the story caught up to where I was, they sprung to life... so weird.

oh yeah, Top Tip! Shootdodge out of the boat windows everytime you get the chance ;D hilarious level unloading / walking through walls issues occur!

One part of the game that I felt got Max's character completely wrong was (Chapter 4: Anyone Can Buy Me a Drink spoilers)
him point blank shooting and killing Tony. Yes, he hit a woman, and was waving around a gun. Yes, he was a Jersey Shore piece of shit. But it was so...uh. Such typical fucking Rockstar writing of making Max do something just to put him in a situation that will drive a chapter of the story. Look at Max Payne 2, when Max shoots Winterson. Point blank shooting first against a character that you're not sure deserves to truly die was a character defining moment. It was a pivotal narrative point that arguably defined Max Payne 2, particularly Max's relationship with Mona. The kind of decision that you're not sure is right or wrong but once it's done there's no going back.

Max shooting Tony seemed reckless and stupid. And not interesting or redeemable stupid, with interesting growth or development for Max's character. Just plain old fashioned stupid.

But the game's whole plot is about Max being plain stupid. Also let's not forget he was drunk at the time he pulled the trigger. And also as someone who have been carrying a gun for the last few years, i can definetely tell that having such power and plus being drunk can make you do stupid things. But IRL such occasions would be surprising so if i was him i would have done the same thing (no matter if i was drunk or not), at the same moment. Tony (was that his name?) did bring those thugs armed for some reason. So while i agree that scene felt a bit forced or rushed (which i can't decide) his decision to pull the trigger first was a very right decision.

Gui_PT

But the game's whole plot is about Max being plain stupid. Also let's not forget he was drunk at the time he pulled the trigger. And also as someone who have been carrying a gun for the last few years, i can definetely tell that having such power and plus being drunk can make you do stupid things. But IRL such occasions would be surprising so if i was him i would have done the same thing (no matter if i was drunk or not), at the same moment. Tony (was that his name?) did bring those thugs armed for some reason. So while i agree that scene felt a bit forced or rushed (which i can't decide) his decision to pull the trigger first was a very right decision.

Could've shot him in the foot or leg. Would've taught him a lesson :D

Ciastek3214

Yeah Rockstar, stop making good/detailed games

I'm all for little details, not saying they're bad or anything. It's just that Rockstar relies on them way too much, their games have detailed graphics, but sub-par gameplay, good writing, but shitty story and narrative. It's like all the effort on making a cake goes on picking the perfect cherry to put on top while making the rest bad.

Could've shot him in the foot or leg. Would've taught him a lesson :D

I actually thought that part was pretty character defining myself personally.
Maybe Max wouldn't of shot the dude or just wounded him if he was a normal stable human being. But this is a man who's had his wife killed in front of him. He sees a woman being hurt, it sets him off. He didn't mean to do it, it was just his reaction in the split second scenario.

He sees a woman in trouble he feels like he has to be the one to safe them. It's him trying make up for the past where he wasn't able to be the savior.

Gui_PT

Maybe Max wouldn't of shot the dude or just wounded him if he was a normal stable human being. But this is a man who's had his wife killed in front of him. He sees a woman being hurt, it sets him off. He didn't mean to do it, it was just his reaction in the split second scenario.

He sees a woman in trouble he feels like he has to be the one to safe them. It's him trying make up for the past where he wasn't able to be the savior.

I agree with this, I was merely jesting. I just wish something more severe had happened instead of
a slap

Fezan

really hating the difficulty spikes.
the part where max blows off the building the fight on the roof top how tried 7 to 8 time but couldn't kill the last guy in armor
Also it has the 2 of the same problem as Uncharted 3 animation some time gets in the way of gameplay. 2ndly bullet sponges enemy.
Also Max sometime acts completely out of character.

haikira

really hating the difficulty spikes.
the part where max blows off the building the fight on the roof top how tried 7 to 8 time but couldn't kill the last guy in armor
Also it has the 2 of the same problem as Uncharted 3 animation some time gets in the way of gameplay. 2ndly bullet sponges enemy.
Also Max sometime acts completely out of character.

Yeah. Restarted that part, loads of times too.

I have to say I loved this game until the end, I had no problems with it until Rockstar decided to up the difficulty up a ridiculous amount at the end. WTF I have died 6 times now at the airport and its only the first killing room. Shit is pissing me off.
The airport is my favorite level. The first couple kill rooms are insanely fun. Space bar will save your life. I beat it on hard btw.

I'm all for little details, not saying they're bad or anything. It's just that Rockstar relies on them way too much, their games have detailed graphics, but sub-par gameplay, good writing, but shitty story and narrative. It's like all the effort on making a cake goes on picking the perfect cherry to put on top while making the rest bad.

Gameplay is great in this in my opinion.

I find it amusing that I can then go and murder that same woman(And the bartender) with no repercussions. I don't think Max will even comment on it.

I have to say I loved this game until the end, I had no problems with it until Rockstar decided to up the difficulty up a ridiculous amount at the end. WTF I have died 6 times now at the airport and its only the first killing room. Shit is pissing me off.

You weren't expecting it to get harder? The last two games did the same thing. The Aesir building in MP1, I remember getting so frustrated....a good frustrated though, feeling that sense of accomplishment when you see the credits roll.

I find Rockstar's cake delicious, every part of it too. If you aren't liking your slice, I will happily eat it for you.

The stylized flashing and blurring is really starting to piss me off.

I see what you are saying. They didn't bother me. I actually liked the effect. But I was asking my friend today how he liked the game after letting him barrow it and he said that he had to stop playing completely because it was actually making him sick. That sucks.

I find it amusing that I can then go and murder that same woman(And the bartender) with no repercussions. I don't think Max will even comment on it.

That's fucked up that you actually did that....lol.

Ciastek3214

Gameplay is great in this in my opinion.

The base of the gameplay is good because it's pretty much good old MP 1-2 gunplay with Euphoria movement. The rest they added sucks horribly, cover system sucks and shouldn't be there.
Last Man Standing is bad because you're vulnerable after using it, worse thing is they made it one of the core features which makes Oldschool playthrough horrible.
Bullet Time is weird, shorter than always, and you don't fill up the meter while shootdodging, and shootdodge, even if it doesn't require any Bullet Time, it takes full meter, making Bullet Time absolutely pointless.
Also Euphoria isn't perfectly implemented, why after a shootdodge can't Max roll near a cover? It isn't something that would be impossible to do, but no, he has to stand up (veeeeery slooowly), and then get behind cover or do another shootdodge.
The cutscenes, ooooooohohohohoh do they suck, and I don't mean they're poorly written, or acted, or whatever, it's just they're so fucking long, and unskippable, and gameplay sequences between them are way too short, I can guarantee that cutting all of them would shorten a playthrough by 2-3 hours.
Multiplayer sucks, it's tacked on, and you can feel it, the reward gap between 20 and 40 lvl is excruciating. Only like 4 modes (variants don't count), bursts that are a fucking joke, one-shot rifles, RPGs. Really dissapointing.

zkylon

zkylewd
The base of the gameplay is good because it's pretty much good old MP 1-2 gunplay with Euphoria movement. The rest they added sucks horribly, cover system sucks and shouldn't be there.
Last Man Standing is bad because you're vulnerable after using it, worse thing is they made it one of the core features which makes Oldschool playthrough horrible.
Bullet Time is weird, shorter than always, and you don't fill up the meter while shootdodging, and shootdodge, even if it doesn't require any Bullet Time, it takes full meter, making Bullet Time absolutely pointless.
Also Euphoria isn't perfectly implemented, why after a shootdodge can't Max roll near a cover? It isn't something that would be impossible to do, but no, he has to stand up (veeeeery slooowly), and then get behind cover or do another shootdodge.
The cutscenes, ooooooohohohohoh do they suck, and I don't mean they're poorly written, or acted, or whatever, it's just they're so fucking long, and unskippable, and gameplay sequences between them are way too short, I can guarantee that cutting all of them would shorten a playthrough by 2-3 hours.
Multiplayer sucks, it's tacked on, and you can feel it, the reward gap between 20 and 40 lvl is excruciating. Only like 4 modes (variants don't count), bursts that are a fucking joke, one-shot rifles, RPGs. Really dissapointing.
I agree with pretty much everything. I think Gang Wars can be pretty fun but overall the multiplayer doesn't have a change from taking me away from Tribes...

Also, is that Ron Perlman in your avatar?

Zeliard

Agreed. It was well in keeping with Max's character. He's very far from a stable human being; he's an alcoholic drug addict with enough demons to populate Hell.

And it does happen within
a split-second. Woman at the bar gets pistol-whipped and it immediately cuts to bullet-time with Max holding a gun up at the guy. At that point it isn't a situation that was going to be defused lightly.

Max also shows remorse for it later on. The
guy's father continually voices his anguish (with some rather excellent voice acting) that Max had killed his son, and Max feels for him and apologizes for it in the scene at the cemetery.

"I of all people knew that living with this grief would be payment enough for any sins."

I think that's the most frustrating part of the game, especially combined with Last Man Standing. I'll be behind cover, pop out to shoot at somebody and the AI with perfect AIM will hit me and take away 2/3 health and I'll go into Last Man Standing. I win, but now I'm laying on the ground behind cover and can't shoot anymore, so I have to stand up slowly. And as I'm standing up I get shot at least twice and am lucky if I can duck back behind cover before I go into Last Man Standing again.

The shootdodge + bullet time + last man standing + cover isn't cohesive enough to make gameplay fun. I think with a little work they could tie it all together and make it really fun but not this version.

I think that's the most frustrating part of the game, especially combined with Last Man Standing. I'll be behind cover, pop out to shoot at somebody and the AI with perfect AIM will hit me and take away 2/3 health and I'll go into Last Man Standing. I win, but now I'm laying on the ground behind cover and can't shoot anymore, so I have to stand up slowly. And as I'm standing up I get shot at least twice and am lucky if I can duck back behind cover before I go into Last Man Standing again.

The shootdodge + bullet time + last man standing + cover isn't cohesive enough to make gameplay fun. I think with a little work they could tie it all together and make it really fun but not this version.

Did you know you can press the cover button while on the ground and if you are close enough, Max will automatically go behind it and won't take damage?

Ciastek3214

Did you know you can press the cover button while on the ground and if you are close enough, Max will automatically go behind it and won't take damage?

It doesn't always work as it should. Sometimes when Max is laying near let's say a box, enemies on one side of the room, Max at the opposite. So, common sense tells you he should take cover at the side of te box that's facing opposite direction than where the enemies are, so he's completely covered from enemy's fire, but nope, he takes cover behind the wrong side of the box, so he gets shot multiple times while you struggle with controls.

zkylon

zkylewd
Cover in MP3 is simply subpar compared to most cover shooters. Not being able to move from cover to cover with just one button press makes the whole thing really cumbersome and I kinda wish they simply hadn't designed the game around a cover system. The gameplay manages to shine through, though, but it's not without flaws.

It's from Cyberpunk concept art, you know, the new CD Projekt IP.
The guy really does look like Ron Perlman though.

6a00d8341c630a53ef015391576a45970b-600wi

Recently beat this on pc and loved every second of it, despite some flaws.

One question about late story stuff:

so why did Passos fly Away with Gianna before max could make it to the roof? He's vindicated from being involved with victor yet still leaves max to die, is this ever explained?

Gui_PT

Recently beat this on pc and loved every second of it, despite some flaws.

One question about late story stuff:

so why did Passos fly Away with Gianna before max could make it to the roof? He's vindicated from being involved with victor yet still leaves max to die, is this ever explained?

He was having a baby. He nearly lost the woman he loves so as soon as he got her back, he got the hell away from there

Montresor

I play on 360, fyi. The other day in the Payne Killer multiplayer mode, a weird glitch occurred right after I became Max Payne. I couldn't shoot my guns. Pushing RT would do nothing. Also, other people couldn't kill me. Three people could surround me and pump bullets into my body and I wouldn't die. What I did notice is that I could go up to all of these guys and push Y for instant melee kills.

Anyhow, I had a mic, and I told the players in the match, "Sorry guys, I'm not cheating, this is just a weird glitch. I'll leave soon" as hundreds of bullets were angrily being shot at my chest. I cleaned up that mob with a bunch of Y-presses and then left the match.

If I had stayed and exploited that glitch, would I be in danger of being banished to the new hacker server? Either way, I felt too guilty back then to rack up free kills even before Rockstar brought down their hammer of justice.

I've done that, about 50% of the time he'll actually go into cover and the other 50% he just stands up all dumb like. Either way he still usually gets hit at least once, although occasionally I'll get lucky and not take damage.

Another thing that bothers me about the game are the arbitary time limits in a few levels, namely in Chapter II when
you're going after the kidnappers
and later in the game during
Chapter XII when the roof is collapsing.
You know you're in hurry-up mode, but instead of any sort of timer or indication you're close to failing and need to move your ass you just abruptly fail the mission. That sucks.

Fezan

Just ended the game.it was a good game and among few games which have lengthy single player campaign.It was almost equal to both previous game combined.
Pros:
+Satisfying shooting.it really felt shooting the bad guys.The control felt good and picking up head shots specially in slow mo felt great.One of the few third person shooter where aiming was spot on.
+Bullet-time still essential.in the beginning i thought cover was coming in the ways of bullet time but it complimented it well.you'll need to get out of cover and dodge bullets like classic maxpayne.
+Setting:Like everyone else i was skeptical at the beginning but sao paulo really fit the tone of the game
+Graphics: everything felt so alive and the destruction happening reminded me of FEAR which is always a plus.The environment was highly detailer.chracter models were good but still had that strange looking thing which most rockstar games have
+Animation : Superb animation from max Payne to every other character.reloading gun or carrying the main weapon in one hand and minute details all add greatly to it.
+Great and believable Voice acting
+good soundtrack and score also great use of classic theme
+Long lengthy single player campaign
+very realistic portrayal of mature themes
+Hit detection.One of the key features which i don't know why dev chose to ignore(looking at you ND and Epic) is best part of this game.which makes shoot out very fun
Cons:
-Animation though great sometime really felt wired and out of place specially of the dying guys.Also just like i said before some time it does effect game play negatively.like standing up after doing bullet time you are left vulnerable because animation needs to be completed.
-Gore:First of let me say i have nothing against gory games.Even Love GOW.but here it felt little out of place.people face open like tin cans after head shots and some time when shooting soo much blood is spilled of the single person yet he again stand ups which breaks the illusion.
-Story: Story generally lacked the uniqueness of previous games.Previously i cared for the Characters even felt bad for killing
vlad
but here nothing even gripped me.Didn't cared for anyone and the journey felt really unnecessary.and the max character was not defined.
killing every one then leaving the main villain alive even thought the police officer preciously said that he will walk away.similarly leaving the dude who mass murdered every one and let him kill the doctor was strange.Similarly his character defining moments were strange.he cares for nothing yet he shoots mobsters son and then he wanted to clean the city.really it was like writer couldn't decide if he was care free mass murderer or a nice good guy on duty
-Difficulty spikes:strange difficulty spikes specially in the later part of the game.i had to lower the difficulty in the end
-super hearing and seeing enemies:no matter what you do the bad guys always knew where the max is and start shooting at you.and other time enemies in the next door wont even notice what happened.Really distracting
-bullet sponges.yes some of them are wearing Armour but that doesn't mean i have to put like 3 magazines in a single dudes head.
-Poping up enemies: so many times it will happen that you will clear a room and bad will just pop up in front of you through the only door.it is specially horrible when you are low on health.its like dev had no idea how to make fun enemy encounters .so they thought well just randomly through enemy at you in front of some doors
-last stand would have been a really nice addition if after killing max didn't started taking nap on the floor.you will usually lose all your health if there are more than 2 3 guys in the room.Also some time pillars or other object come in the way so you are unable to perform it
-That strange glow during the cut scenes was distracting.specially if you are playing in dark room.Also max will go back to pistol after every cut scene and some time you are standing out of cover when cut scene ends

My small review feels almost too negative but strangely i liked the game specially due to fun shoot out great graphics superb voice acting with beautiful score and a lengthy campaign.

7/10

So I reported a cheater last night with a screenshot attached and today I got confirmation from Rockstar that they were added to the cheaters list. Could be the most satisfying e-mail I have ever received.

Top Bottom