• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Finally beat it. I liked it, but hated it also at so many moments. Very flawed game but the gameplay did feel and look great. Haven't touched MP yet though, so have to see how that turns out but did enjoy my time with it despite some stupid segments that just were frustration in trial and error.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've been replaying this again and while I don't mind watching the cutscenes a second time it really becomes apparent that there are just TOO MANY scenes in this game.

I mean, they often use short cutscenes between each and every room preventing the player from every moving forward at their own pace.

It's basically "clear a room -> watch cutscene -> clear the next room"

They do a great job cutting between gameplay and cinema but there are definitely too many.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
50 people on ps3 free aim deathmatch.. fuck you very much r*

I don't understand why they don't get rid of softlock and make all modes available straight up. The 5000 kill requirement for Hardcore modes are a joke.

You mean I have to kill 5K people to play without soft-lock?

If so, are you fucking kidding me, Rockstar?!

MMaRsu

You mean I have to kill 5K people to play without soft-lock?

If so, are you fucking kidding me, Rockstar?!

No..lol

You have to kill 5k people to get into the hardcore playlist..

Which I thought was going to be shit, but it's much more fun to play without a radar. You inflict the same amount of damage and you get more XP. I got 102xp for 1 headshot lol.

But almost nobody is playing free aim anymore, the fact that you can kill easily and quicker in softlock which nets you more xp per match is stupid as hell. Yesterday I wanted to play deathmatch in free aim ( all I play, free aim that is ) and there were only 50 people in the playlist. I know this game sold like shit but wtf man.

Screw R*, in a few months there wont be a free aim fanbase to shoot it up with, and I'll be damned if I'll play on softlock.

Now let's not start talking about the retarded decisions to put in a one hit kill sniper rifle, or an RPG/grenade launcher that has a shitton of rockets/grenades. People playing with those weapons are absolute noobs. Then you have the continues dropping out of games, at least for me. Getting kicked out in the middle of a match that had no lag at all because of "connection problems" pisses me the fuck off.

The multiplayer is one of my favorites this gen..WHEN IT WORKS.

Beat Hardcore.

That's as far as I'm going until R* makes the cutscenes skippable in the PC version.

There is a fix for that from the PC gaf crew.

dem details

12789k.png

2lnim7.png

3nvcso.png

I've been replaying this again and while I don't mind watching the cutscenes a second time it really becomes apparent that there are just TOO MANY scenes in this game.

I mean, they often use short cutscenes between each and every room preventing the player from every moving forward at their own pace.

It's basically "clear a room -> watch cutscene -> clear the next room"

They do a great job cutting between gameplay and cinema but there are definitely too many.

For me, the bigger problem is the fucking load times. I mean, I didn't think they would be this bad but THEY ARE BAAAD. It almost leads me to believe that the game isn't really loading alot of the time when it says it is. There's just no way a level takes 3-4 whole minutes or more to load. It's insane

Is the PC version better in this regard? IE: SSD quick ass loading and being able to legitimately skip cutscenes?

At this point, I'm wondering if I even wanna replay it and sour that first epic playthrough.

Could someone here who's playing the game right now on the PS3 help me out with getting the Dearest Of All My Friends trophy please? All you have to do is let me kill you in a deathmatch game. It's the last trophy I need to get the platinum, so just send me a friend request and I'll get back to you. PSN ID is Acquiescence. Thanks.

Oh that occurred to me the first time round. It absolutely ruins the pacing. I breathed a sigh of relief when I could walk through a goddamn door without triggering another cut-scene.

You have to wonder who makes those decisions. I can't be the only one who's annoyed by shoddy design like that. Especially when it gets in the way of what could have been an even better game.

pelican

Well I wanted to hook up with GAF on this and sent my invite to the Crew, with msg to leader.

A week later no response. Pretty poor shouldn't lead a forum group unless actively managing it.

MMaRsu

Well I wanted to hook up with GAF on this and sent my invite to the Crew, with msg to leader.

A week later no response. Pretty poor shouldn't lead a forum group unless actively managing it.

Yeah that's not so cool but hey maybe he's on vacation or whatever who knows right? We all want you in our crew baby!

Posted by : Acquiescence

Could someone here who's playing the game right now on the PS3 help me out with getting the Dearest Of All My Friends trophy please? All you have to do is let me kill you in a deathmatch game. It's the last trophy I need to get the platinum, so just send me a friend request and I'll get back to you. PSN ID is Acquiescence.
Thanks.

I will add u tonight bro!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Aww man, I was in the crew but I got kicked out, and I don't even know why!

I was about to get the game ;_;

Finshed up the PC version over the weekend and I have to say - I really enjoyed the hell out of it. Yeah, it's got too many cutscenes (though I liked the hammy story) but the gameplay is fun and I enjoyed it more than the previous two entries. I loved Max Payne 2, too.

The game is certainly pretty and runs perfectly for me. Rock solid 60fps with everything maxed out aside from MSAA which I turned off as it made the game look strangely worse.

ib0ocGA2bm9stK.jpg

ibv6FdxKJ8dnu3.jpg

iPvy2MrHuxX3Q.jpg

Dyno

Man, the
airport shootout when the song Tears kicks in was such a perfect moment.

So awesome! I came into this thread with the soul purpose of getting a name for that song. I help my friend finish his SP game last night and with the volume on high it's such an epic moment. Thanks!

EDIT: Okay now this is a bit scary. I hit up iTunes on my phone and the song is the first thing I see. No search necessary. Weird. We live in an age of wonders.

Con_Smith

Banned
Man, the
airport shootout when the song Tears kicks in was such a perfect moment.

Really though I started failing on purpose just because the music kicking in as you walk into the area was just so badass. Really disapointed Giantbomb shits on the game as much as they do without bringing up what the game does right. Or the awesome moments multiplayer has.

Really though I started failing on purpose just because the music kicking in as you walk into the area was just so badass. Really disapointed Giantbomb shits on the game as much as they do without bringing up what the game does right. Or the awesome moments multiplayer has.
Giant Bomb brings too much of their own expectations and baggage into their reviews rather than trying to appreciate a game for what its designed to do. So do a lot of players mind you, but I see it happen with them more often than most.

I mean hell, they played Shift 2 in cockpit view for like 5 seconds.

Can't remember the last time GB didn't moan about a game they were playing.

Con_Smith

Banned
Can't remember the last time GB didn't moan about a game they were playing.

I'm just saying, they spend time on the nuance of Diablo 3 yet dismiss this game as simply a grim dark Max whinefest. Not to say Max doesn't spend the game moaning about his situation but shit, these guys can find enjoyment from the absurd but complain about the controls and issues of the game like it really is bad.

I'm sorry for ranting though. this probably comes off as a stop hating what i like post, but really this game gets alot of flak and it really is something more than what people expected.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just picked this up on 360, anyone got some good recommendations for where they set the aiming sensitivity? I am finding the default almost impossible to get comfy with by default(free aim)

Just picked this up on 360, anyone got some good recommendations for where they set the aiming sensitivity? I am finding the default almost impossible to get comfy with by default(free aim)
I did 10/10/10 with no assists, but it was still a slight bit off. But I'd start there and work your way down. Default sensitivities was impossible for me.

Dilly

Banned
Quite liked the game, not being able to exit the game when watching a cutscene or loading a multiplayer game is ridiculous though.

I also miss the witty Sam Lake one liner dialogue, the game lost some of its cult feeling the past 2 had.

haikira

Wish they'd just made one or two playlists for autoaim. Rather than how they handled it. Could have had them act as the beginner playlists or something.

Also wish they'd just charge for cosmetic stuff.

I flat out loved the campaign. With the exception of not allowing users to quit or skip out of cut scenes, I really don't have any major complaints. Can't say the same about the multiplayer.

MMaRsu

Wait what community anyway? Less than 1000 people online across all playlists on ps3.

They killed their own game...:sadface

Darklord

Banned
I decided to give MP3 another go and for some reason am liking it a lot more. The favela chapters were great. I still really like Max as a character, he kinda feels like Jack Bauer now. I'll definitely finish it now.

I finally got around to checking the game out.

I absolutely loved Max Payne 1 and 2 and I am only to chapter 3 but man this is disappointing.

Being that the presentation and aesthetics of the first two games was top notch I expected something close to that but Rockstar has really fallen behind the competition. The story is completely uninteresting, the character models and animation is really really bad. Every scene is like a bunch of marionettes coming to life. Houser is out of his league as well, the dialogue is so bad. Max sounds like he is written to sound like a crusty old dude but it all falls flat.

Gameplay is alright. Bullet-time really isn't as compelling as it used to be and I don't get a any type of satisfaction from pulling of a series of well timed moves. Impacts are realistic but not exciting and the last kill bullet cam is ridiculous.

I don't know if it gets better but this is a shallow reflection of the previous games. I wish Remedy would have developed this themselves.

What the fuck am I reading?

I think its a sentence.

Gui_PT

What the fuck am I reading?

Wrongness. That's what you're reading.

Being that the presentation and aesthetics of the first two games was top notch I expected something close to that but Rockstar has really fallen behind the competition. The story is completely uninteresting, the character models and animation is really really bad. Every scene is like a bunch of marionettes coming to life. Houser is out of his league as well, the dialogue is so bad. Max sounds like he is written to sound like a crusty old dude but it all falls flat.

Gameplay is alright. Bullet-time really isn't as compelling as it used to be and I don't get a any type of satisfaction from pulling of a series of well timed moves. Impacts are realistic but not exciting and the last kill bullet cam is ridiculous.

The rest might be subjective but the bolded is simply flat out wrong.

You think the shimmery techno effect coupled with Houser great writing flashing up on the screens every two seconds is a great aesthetic? You think the last shot bullet cam is really great huh?

Yeah Rockstar has fallen behind man. Red Dead was amazing, this must be some B team or something. The cut-scenes are terrible.

Also the whole hey didn't I load a full clip into that guy thats getting back up with his gun at my back is bs too.

Gui_PT

You think the shimmery techno effect coupled with Houser great writing flashing up on the screens every two seconds is a great aesthetic? You think the last shot bullet cam is really great huh?

Yeah Rockstar has fallen behind man. Red Dead was amazing, this must be some B team or something. The cut-scenes are terrible.

Wow replying with questions. Great trick to look cool without actually saying anything.

Wow replying with questions. Great trick to look cool without actually saying anything.

Ahh Gui come on man I have talked with you before I'm not trying to sound like a dick I just don't understand why its a appealing look. Its this weird shimmery thing with stuff popping up on the screen like "ROCK OUT", "THE BETTER DAYS" yeah I caught it. I just don't get it. Maybe I am looking through the lens of the old games too much.

Top Bottom