• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

iNvid02

no PC event?

nah, just triple xp, no killing rockstars for pc gaf

We'll be playing on Xbox LIVE; however, players across all three platforms will be able to join their respective Social Club Multiplayer Event Playlists in-game to unlock the Demonic Skull as seen above. TRIPLE XP will also be live on all three platforms, right through the weekend.

UrbanRats

Finished it (had a bug where the last two chapters were locked, for some reason, so i had to start the game AGAIN) anyway, i enjoyed this second/third playthrough more than the first one, this time i played with soft lock which, using the 360 pad, made the game much easier and had more fun pulling off crazy shit.
Free aim isn't bad (i used it in my first playthrough), but i can't aim for shit with the pad.

I think the first half of the game is the more boring one, too, a weird reverse xen syndrome.
Worst level: stadium.
Best level: Panama (or the Bus station with Giovanna).

Worst level STADIUM? WAT? I thought the Stadium was a really well done level (or about as well done as the constant cutscenes +interruptions let this game be). The tighter areas of Sao Paolo are easily the low point(s) in the game.

UrbanRats

Worst level STADIUM? WAT? I thought the Stadium was a really well done level (or about as well done as the constant cutscenes +interruptions let this game be). The tighter areas of Sao Paolo are easily the low point(s) in the game.

Constant cutscenes, stupid sniper section (do they really need to take control from me WHILE I AM AIMING?) and in general i didn't really enjoy the level design and weapons in the level.

keit4

Banned
Just completed this game the last Thursday and loved it. I can't understand how the unskipabble cutscenes can kill the game for someone, this solution is much better than a endless load screen. Along with Vanquish, my favourite TPS this gen, much better than any Uncharted or Gears of War (in terms of gunplay at least).

I feel the urge to play through this again. This time with soft lock just for a more arcade experience

Still my all time favorite 3rd person shooter

Just completed this game the last Thursday and loved it. I can't understand how the unskipabble cutscenes can kill the game for someone, this solution is much better than a endless load screen. Along with Vanquish, my favourite TPS this gen, much better than any Uncharted or Gears of War (in terms of gunplay at least).

Have you tried replaying the game yet? Because as someone who will praise the gunplay in this to no end, the cutscenes completely ruined the game for me. Loading is not an excuse, some of these cutscenes go on for 5 minutes before you can skip them. That's game ruining design IMO.

YoungHav

Banned
I just finished this game... I did not like the story much and didn't find the characters interesting. I remember playing MP1 and MP2 and always wanting to play just a little bit more because the story was compelling; did not have that feeling with this game at all and just stayed for the gameplay (which was the best TPS gameplay this gen imo).

I also did not like fat bald Max, I am glad they threw in those flashback levels. I just prefered the NYC/NJ setting. To add insult to injury, I wanted to play through it again to finish the single player grinds, get trophies etc... I was at the disco on my second playthrough and the goddamn game froze and deleted all my single player data in the process. Grinds are all at zero, can't unlock difficulties unless I beat it on Hard again (unlockable difficulties are a stupid idea), can't skip cutscene until they are 80% done it seems... I am frustrated. My backlog is too big to do that shit again, will have to move on.

Montresor

Any gaffers wanna help me out with some map voting in Max Payne 3? I've gotten every achievement (including the new DLC cheevos) but I feel like I just can't move on to something else unless I've tried the following maps:

Palacio Strip Club
Galatio Stadium
New Hoboken Rooftops

I've already played multi for hours and hours since the new DLC came out and was only able to play Club Moderno and Favela Heights from the new maps. Both good maps (although Club Moderno is on another level - it's in a godly tier all of its own, what a beautiful map).

edit: Well what do you know, right after this post I end up trying the Stadium level (and I realize now that I spelled it horribly wrong, hah).

conman

It's definitely up there for me, too. Max Payne 3 accomplishes the "Michael Mann Video Game Experience" that so many sub-par games have aimed for and failed at.

Net_Wrecker said:
Have you tried replaying the game yet? Because as someone who will praise the gunplay in this to no end, the cutscenes completely ruined the game for me. Loading is not an excuse, some of these cutscenes go on for 5 minutes before you can skip them. That's game ruining design IMO.
YoungHav said:
I just finished this game... I did not like the story much and didn't find the characters interesting. I remember playing MP1 and MP2 and always wanting to play just a little bit more because the story was compelling; did not have that feeling with this game at all and just stayed for the gameplay (which was the best TPS gameplay this gen imo).

Surprised to see so many people annoyed with the story and cutscenes. Those were the big selling points for me. IMO the shooting itself isn't that great. But it's how the shooting is integrated into the game as a whole that really sells it. I am 3/4 of the way through a second play-through and I'm still digging the cutscenes. Even if I could skip them, I wouldn't. To each his own, I guess.

I haven't spent much time on the New York Minute challenges, though. And if the cutscenes are unskippable there, I can see how they'd get annoying in that particular context.

Montresor

It's definitely up there for me, too. Max Payne 3 accomplishes the "Michael Mann Video Game Experience" that so many sub-par games have aimed for and failed at.

Surprised to see so many people annoyed with the story and cutscenes. Those were the big selling points for me. IMO the shooting itself isn't that great. But it's how the shooting is integrated into the game as a whole that really sells it. I am 3/4 of the way through a second play-through and I'm still digging the cutscenes. Even if I could skip them, I wouldn't. To each his own, I guess.

I haven't spent much time on the New York Minute challenges, though. And if the cutscenes are unskippable there, I can see how they'd get annoying in that particular context.

This game requires 5-7 playthroughs for all the achievements (and even if you aren't into that or trophies, it's still a game meant to be replayed over and over).

I also loved this game, think it's 10/10, and didn't mind the cutscenes too much. But by the time you're replaying the game for the 4th time, it starts to wear down on you.

The worst is that you can't even PAUSE during some cutscenes. Imagine you are using chapter select to play a particular part of a game, and you realize that you misclicked on the wrong chapter/checkpoint. You have to watch a 1-2 minute cutscene before you can quit to the main menu and re-select your chapter/checkpoint.

No don't get me wrong, I love the story and enjoy well done cutscenes as much as the next person, but this game went too far. There are tons of unskippable interruptions in gameplay that have no reason to be there. Max Payne, as a franchise, should be the poster boy for "do it in gameplay" storytelling. The character, with his internal monologues, is perfectly built to have long uninterrupted stretches of gameplay while the narrative keeps moving forward. Rockstar failed at that. The game is much too dependent on transitional cutscenes where the player loses control as Max moves to a new area, and long unskippable conversations where all you can do is watch. There's basically no gameplay pacing. The dips on the rollercoaster are 5 minute cuscenes instead of actual dips in gameplay.

And I totally disagree that shooting by itself isn't that great. This is one of the very few shooters this generation that can pass my test of still being fun even if it was in a 30x30 white room with nothing but Max and the enemies. That makes it all the more frustrating that they pull control away so much, even for little things like climbing ladders and opening doors. Hell, there are numerous mini cutscenes that only seem to be there so the game can show a 5 second camera cut and switch you back to your pistol for no reason. It makes no sense. Even examining clues in the level is slow and intrusive as the camera sits there, unmovable, while Max talks. There's no consideration for the player that might want to replay the game a few times.

EDIT: I bitch a lot about this, but my disappointment only seems to be increasing over time. It's just frustrating for a game that plays this well to, apparently, not want me playing it.

And putting aside my issues with this game, the OST is fantastic. It can't be stated enough just how good it is. Some of the brilliance of the soundtrack gets lost in the constant cutscenes due to minimal slow moments in gameplay, but it's still great, and even shines out of context.

That final airport shootout with the song from the commercial may be my favorite gaming moment of the year, right up there with the orgasmic climax of Journey and certain great moments in ME3.

That final airport shootout with the song from the commercial may be my favorite gaming moment of the year, right up there with the orgasmic climax of Journey and certain great moments in ME3.

Running through that for the 1st time, with manual aim and surviving wave after wave (I think I might have died only once) was a fucking pinnacle moment in gaming for me

KalBalboa

Banned
Running through that for the 1st time, with manual aim and surviving wave after wave (I think I might have died only once) was a fucking pinnacle moment in gaming for me

I was thinking about that exact scene earlier. A defining moment for this gen and definitely 2012's "big moment" for me.

Vossler

Seconded....the way that song kicks in at that point....well done Rockstar. I trudged through most of the game, but that point brought it home for me.

conman

I dunno why they replaced comic panels with wannabe GTAIV cutscenes.
Not sure what that means. Lots of games have cutscenes.

Also, MP3 uses still panels throughout that are designed to resemble comic frames. And they mix those with TV-display scanlines. I think it's a cool effect.

bndadm

So my character is invisible online. What the heck do I do?

I'm sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just found this out today and hope this was the best method to let everyone know.

I booted up Max Payne 3 xbox 360 today and it downloaded a patch. I had been having the invisible player in multiplayer issue as well. It appears to now be fixed!!!

I played my first full online game and my character was visible the whole time. So anyone encountering this issue, try it now with the patch.

Rainy Dog

No don't get me wrong, I love the story and enjoy well done cutscenes as much as the next person, but this game went too far. There are tons of unskippable interruptions in gameplay that have no reason to be there. Max Payne, as a franchise, should be the poster boy for "do it in gameplay" storytelling. The character, with his internal monologues, is perfectly built to have long uninterrupted stretches of gameplay while the narrative keeps moving forward. Rockstar failed at that. The game is much too dependent on transitional cutscenes where the player loses control as Max moves to a new area, and long unskippable conversations where all you can do is watch. There's basically no gameplay pacing. The dips on the rollercoaster are 5 minute cuscenes instead of actual dips in gameplay.

And I totally disagree that shooting by itself isn't that great. This is one of the very few shooters this generation that can pass my test of still being fun even if it was in a 30x30 white room with nothing but Max and the enemies. That makes it all the more frustrating that they pull control away so much, even for little things like climbing ladders and opening doors. Hell, there are numerous mini cutscenes that only seem to be there so the game can show a 5 second camera cut and switch you back to your pistol for no reason. It makes no sense. Even examining clues in the level is slow and intrusive as the camera sits there, unmovable, while Max talks. There's no consideration for the player that might want to replay the game a few times.

EDIT: I bitch a lot about this, but my disappointment only seems to be increasing over time. It's just frustrating for a game that plays this well to, apparently, not want me playing it.

I'm about two thirds through MP3 and I agree with this. I love pretty much everything about the game aside from the constant taking away and giving back of control from the player. I wish they'd have just overlayed the commentary/dialogue whilst your're pottering about but still in control. There's enough downtime in the action I feel.

It also spoils exploration as when I'm trying to search every nook and cranny for clues and golden parts, if I so as even go near a part of the environment that triggers a cutscene (often without this being obvious), it just takes you through to the next section and automatically blocks off backtracking the previous area.

Dibbz

Tired to play some MP3 tonight on PC to see if they had sorted it out. 100 players online in free aim and I got disconnected from the first lobby I joined. Fuck this game, fuck rockstar. Can't even play the single player because it takes forever to load when trying to skip the few cutscenes you can.

A friend is having a problem where the game wont load past the main screen. He just bought it and hasnt been able to play it yet. I forget his specs but his PC is more than capable. Intel cpu and nvidia card. This is the steam version.

BadAss2961

Is there any way to get rid of the press A to SKIP cutscene popup? It's gamey and distracts me a little bit. I'm not playing now, so I don't know whether I missed it in the options somewhere or not. (PC version)

Pungza

A friend is having a problem where the game wont load past the main screen. He just bought it and hasnt been able to play it yet. I forget his specs but his PC is more than capable. Intel cpu and nvidia card. This is the steam version.

Have the same issue, tried various fixes on Rockstar/steam site such as moving MP3 folder to root of c:/ and disablling .net 4 but none worked.

Game is also deciding to downloading it self again...

red731

Wow. Bought this off Steam last night and finished it like twenty minutes ago.
Steam counts 11 hours on medium diff. with a lot of deaths - one due to falling through floor and many others because I glued to wall, shooted, wanted to move to other direction and got stuck(solved by vaulting away, mainly into more danger).
I loved everything about it. Gameplay, story, music and since cutscenes don't bother me - even them.
That airport part, man. That was something.

Dries

Hey GAF, anyone know some good movies that'll get me into the setting/vibe of MP3? I've already seen the John Woo flicks and City of God :)

Fjordson

Man On Fire is probably the closest thing because of plot similarities and the flashing text effect, but I also get a very strong Michael Mann vibe in Rockstar's recent games (Max Payne 3 most of all).

The dialogue, the brutality of the gunfights, the somewhat film noir style, the music, the big cities. Lots of things in there remind me of some of Mann's films. Heat, Thief, Collateral, etc.

conman

Definitely Michael Mann movies. The music, the setpieces, the characters. It's the vibe that the Kane and Lynch games were aiming for but failed so miserably at. MP3 nails it.

KalBalboa

Banned
Definitely Michael Mann movies. The music, the setpieces, the characters. It's the vibe that the Kane and Lynch games were aiming for but failed so miserably at. MP3 nails it.

I think the game's overall sense of weight and inertia play into the mise en scène more than most people realize. Max himself feels labored a bit it really ties the world together.

bndadm

Now that the multiplayer has been fixed for the invisibility issue, I've leveled myself up to 31 so far and, holy God, the balancing is amazingly unfair.

Higher-level players have stack upon stack of advantages (higher loadout weight so they can have more weapons and bursts, better weapons overrall). I feel absolutely useless sometimes.

The feeling of going into bullet time though to shoot another player in the head is very satisfactory though.

Montresor

Now that the multiplayer has been fixed for the invisibility issue, I've leveled myself up to 31 so far and, holy God, the balancing is amazingly unfair.

Higher-level players have stack upon stack of advantages (higher loadout weight so they can have more weapons and bursts, better weapons overrall). I feel absolutely useless sometimes.

The feeling of going into bullet time though to shoot another player in the head is very satisfactory though.

What system do you play on? I play soft-lock on 360. Don't hurt me Max-gaf.

I could use a Max Payne buddy on XBL. I barely know anyone who bought the DLC. And the second last pack is coming out this December 4th! As much as I hate Rockstar's lacklustre support of this game, they sure know how to design maps. Every DLC map has been absolutely gorgeous. And they're finally doing a Ch.11 (Panama Yacht) map!!! YES!

bndadm

What system do you play on? I play soft-lock on 360. Don't hurt me Max-gaf.

I could use a Max Payne buddy on XBL. I barely know anyone who bought the DLC. And the second last pack is coming out this December 4th! As much as I hate Rockstar's lacklustre support of this game, they sure know how to design maps. Every DLC map has been absolutely gorgeous. And they're finally doing a Ch.11 (Panama Yacht) map!!! YES!

Hey, I play soft-lock 360 as well. I gave free-aim a try and enjoyed it for a while, but just got tired of all the sawed-off's.

Haven't picked up any of the DLC yet, have been debating it greatly. Did not know more DLC was on the way and checked it out. Looks great and makes me think I should actually pick up the Season Pass next pay period.

I'm Mr Jones 24 (with spaces).

willooi

I was on multiplayer free-aim when the game came out too, but the entire community has dropped off considerably, and free-aim in particular is all but dead.

Really disappointed with the poor support as well, and especially how the stadium map in the last DLC was a big letdown and with no Gang Wars on it either. Still, will be playing some more once the latest pack arrives. The game still needs more Gang Wars maps, but happy that the Panama Canal level will have it.

Feel free to add my on XBL: willooi.

Fjordson

Maybe I should start playing again on 360. Haven't touched the multiplayer since release weak.

I mean I love love Max Payne's 3 gameplay, online and off, but I just never stick with shooters for some reason after I'm finished with the single-player. I've only played like four matches of Max Payne 3 online :lol I remember having fun, though.

willooi

For me, the 3 or 4 months of Maxy's multiplayer right after it came out was the best online versus fun I've had on the 360 (I'll also point out that I don't like COD or Halo). Poured so much time into it and loved pretty much every minute apart from the balancing issues that bndadm mentioned above, along with a bunch of bugs and awful respawn points that weren't addressed until well after the player base dwindled. I hope an option to play against bots is added later on, as it'd be a shame for it to die off completely.

I called it quits but recently got back into it again thanks to some really great map designs, Gang Wars was and is still brilliant (but dammit, needs more maps!), plenty of customisation and variety in loadout items, and that awesome soundtrack constantly booming in the background.

So Fjordson, if you do ever get back into it, I'd encourage you to get to level 40+ for the real fun to begin, weapons and bursts-wise, and DON'T 'prestige'! Totally not worth it. And do try out Payne Killer, which is just great.

Early levels of free aim multiplayer was some of the most satisfying shooter multiplayer I played in a long time. I loved the heavy focus on pistols, bullet time was pulled off perfectly, gritty maps, funny dialogue, great soundtrack, and great physics that made gunplay so satisfying. Unfortunately the later bursts, player tactics, and weapons took a lot of fun out of the experience, and free aim was already starting to thin out which made matchmaking the large team gametypes a slow process and I refuse to play soft lock.

Oh well. I'll always have that first week.

Gacha-pin

From my experience, I'm in the third legend, the game is not unbalanced, light weight with a one handed gun is the best loadout.

Finally finished beating this game yesterday, it's a fun game but damn it just got so tiring towards the end

I get it's a shooter but there is literally zero variety in the 14 chapters besides doing the exact same thing in a different location

7/10 because it just got boring towards the end

bndadm

From my experience, I'm in the third legend, the game is not unbalanced, light weight with a one handed gun is the best loadout.

It's funny you mentioned that, because I suddenly discovered that myself last night. I'm sticking to only the .608 revolver and I'm having a fantastically easier time getting kills. Will probably be what I stick with now.

Top Bottom