• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

strobogo

Banned
I don't know what's worse; watching cable TV or playing console games.

*hugs PC*

It's not even for me really. I rarely watch any live TV, but the idea that they charge so much for a bunch of shit no one has even heard of just so you can get the stuff people DO watch, and then have their DTA bullshit not even work makes me angry.

Put Comcast on the hate list.

Man, I don't think there has been a legit main event since Cena vs. Brock. This was an absolute fucking battle.

Love or hate the fact that Cena won, you gotta respect him.

edit:
I don't think anybody was able to decipher this post match speech even 2 years later.

strobogo

Banned
Damn shame that you hate Comcast.

Who DOESN'T hate Comcast? I've never heard a good word about them except recently when they randomly upped people's internet speeds. Even their automated customer service is condescending.

"Just to be sure, are you sure your television is turned on?" Yes, Robobitch, I am. Fuck.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sblargh I really loved your Mania 1 review. Really good to see it with a fresh pair of eyes. Fascinating stuff.

Love or hate American telecom companies, you can't help but respect them.

nv5ikKv.png

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Now you may disagree with Comcast but there's no way you can respect their hustle with their two hour appointment windows, their loyalty for bringing the best shows on demand faster than Red Box, and their respect of your time by having night and weekend repair windows.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda feel like Sblargh should view one of the last WCW PPVs to see what's up before knowing the vile truth.

Alucard

Banned
Guys, my weekend has been awesome. Global Wars last night, and watching Mogwai in concert with my wife tonight. And maybe sex later on!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm thinking about watching all of the WCW PPVs from 1999-2001 during the summer. I want to witness the train wreck as well.

More entertaining than 1998, but worse wrestling. 1998 has great matches for the first 90 minutes (slightly less so from Bash at the Beach on, but not awful) 1999 starts rough but the last few at the beginning of the Russo Era are entertainingly bad and the product remains that way until the end.

Alucard

Banned
What does your wife think of you for being part of the #TNAtion? I'm genuinely curious.

She's not a fan of wrestling in general, but she'll occasionally walk by when I'm watching and ask what's going on or just comment on something terrible, be it on Raw or Impact. "Such bad acting" etc. The worst is when she comes by during women's matches. Just makes wrestling look fucking terrible from an outsider's perspective.

More entertaining than 1998, but worse wrestling. 1998 has great matches for the first 90 minutes (slightly less so from Bash at the Beach on, but not awful) 1999 starts rough but the last few at the beginning of the Russo Era are entertainingly bad and the product remains that way until the end.

I'm more interested in the booking and terrible finishes than the match quality. I'll either hate myself for watching it, or just be laughing my ass off for the absurdity of it all.

Well if not that, it will turn me to drinking. I already blame Stro if that ever happens.

strobogo

Banned
I want you all to wait for Nitro/Thunder to get uploaded before watching 1999-2001 WCW. Then all you cocks won't be laughing at my alcohol problem.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm more interested in the booking and terrible finishes than the match quality. I'll either hate myself for watching it, or just be laughing my ass off for the absurdity of it all.

Well if not that, it will turn me to drinking. I already blame Stro if that ever happens.

You'll get what you want then. That's what I got out of it.

EDIT: Bro, Stro, Bro. I am salivating waiting for Thunder to go up. I couldn't stand it when I was huge into WCW but now? I can't wait. Lee Marshall! Bret Hart's show...that he barely appears on! Making the post brand merger Smackdown look meaningful! No more shitty VHS recording rips! I can't wait!

Early Nitro as well but I saw a few of those.

Who DOESN'T hate Comcast? I've never heard a good word about them except recently when they randomly upped people's internet speeds. Even their automated customer service is condescending.

"Just to be sure, are you sure your television is turned on?" Yes, Robobitch, I am. Fuck.

To be fair, you be surprised at how often the TV is turned off. The internet hate on Comcast is funny to me.

#TeamComcast

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm nearing the end of 1997 (well the beginning, going backwards and all) and I think I'll stop and take a break when I reach BatB 1996. I'll watch something else for a bit before going and finishing the rest of wcw off, which should go quicker as there's less PPVs before 1996.

Then I'm going to do WWF starting from WRESTLEMANIA and going up until...29 I think. I'm pretty sure I've seen every show since then. By that time it should be next year and I'll start something else, maybe Raw.

The second Nitro or Thunder shows up I'll watch them weekly.

strobogo

Banned
They should bring back the in your house as network specials

Also when isnWCW Saturday night going to be on the network

It should be up before Nitro, IMO. They should have been uploading them from day one since it goes from the 80s. Saturday Night was the main show for JCP/Nitro longer than Nitro was.

Sblargh

Banned
Watching Royal Rumble 2000

I respect the dudleyz and the hardys for their table shenanigans, but it's not my cup of tea. How many variations of jumping down into a table can you do before it loses its appeal?

Bikini Contest. Oh gawd. This is horrible. So horrible. If I were watching at this time... well, I wouldn't be watching, between the head chair shots, the multiple risky table spots and this bikini contest, this screams "lowbrown" so much that is deafening. If the stro's tales about WCW 2000 are true, then 2000 was not a good year for wrestling. And to think I'm on route to a Cactus Jack match where the point is "how much can Mick Foley get injuried and still keep going".

On the bright side, I was expecting the worse out of this Jericho/Hardcore Holly/Chyna match, but it was actually pretty good. This match actually kind of felt "edgy" and walking the line between good wrestling and the right amount of violence and sexploitation instead of "XXXTreme only 90s kids will understand" kind of thing.

Sblargh should review WM2000 next.

I kinda feel like Sblargh should view one of the last WCW PPVs to see what's up before knowing the vile truth.

Given how much I'm not into this 2000 royal rumble... I don't know. I've seen the next WM, X-7, which everyone recommended as must see; that I liked a bunch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's also a much better companion show to Nitro than Thunder ever was. It was the late 90's version of NXT, only with ten times the number of people in the roster.

On a single episode of Saturday night you might see a different star from the 70's/80's/90's wrestle a different career indy guy/future TNA mid carder two or three times. Every episode there was at least one moment where you'd go, Holy Shit, WCW employs this random WWF guy now???

strobogo

Banned
Watching Royal Rumble 2000

I respect the dudleyz and the hardys for their table shenanigans, but it's not my cup of tea. How many variations of jumping down into a table can you do before it loses its appeal?

Bikini Contest. Oh gawd. This is horrible. So horrible. If I were watching at this time... well, I wouldn't be watching, between the head chair shots, the multiple risky table spots and this bikini contest, this screams "lowbrown" so much that is deafening. If the stro's tales about WCW 2000 are true, then 2000 was not a good year for wrestling. And to think I'm on route to a Cactus Jack match where the point is "how much can Mick Foley get injuried and still keep going".

On the bright side, I was expecting the worse out of this Jericho/Hardcore Holly/Chyna match, but it was actually pretty good. This match actually kind of felt "edgy" and walking the line between good wrestling and the right amount of violence and sexploitation instead of "XXXTreme only 90s kids will understand" kind of thing.

2000 was a GREAT year in ring for WWE. Garbage year for WCW and ECW. At RR 2000, table matches were still a new thing and hadn't been done to death. Hardys had just started breaking out in the fall of 1999 and the Dudleys had turned a corner and had the faith of Vince after doing their months of "you came from WCW/ECW, so you're going to eat shit" tour. HHH/Cactus is one of the best matches from either guy. 1999-2005ish had a LOT of bloody matches and lots and lots of nasty chair shots. If you're not into bloody matches, I would suggest to not watch any HBK/HHH PPV matches from 2003-2006. Either against each other or someone else. They went BANANAS with their blading for no reason all the time. Like full on "is this dude going to bleed out?" in matches that didn't call for it at all. Flair and Dusty bladed all the time for no reason in the 80s, but HBK/HHH took shit to a whole new level in the 2000s.

BHZ Mayor

I don't understand any of that In Your House 15 ending. Pillman costs Austin the title, but then the Hart Foundation attacks Undertaker, then Austin makes the save, then the Harts just leave, then Austin stuns Taker and just leaves, but goes back to grab the crutch, then Undertaker gets right back up and just leaves. It's kind of a clusterfuck.

Top Bottom