• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

Hasney

This thread is deader than the Network

Yeah, wrestling is a bit in the shitter right now, plus the sun just came up.

Still, time to GET HYPE.

3nG8s6c.png

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Actually I'll take care of it. It isn't a big OT like this one. Very small. Function over form.

JavyOO7

First match in Starrcade '87 was great. Should have lasted longer than 15 minutes though. Another 5 - 10 minutes would have been awesome.

Did stro ever review Hog Wild 96? I just watched a fair amount of it (stopped after Malenko/Benoit) and thought it was a more than alright show so far. Dusty's jean shorts (fuck it, Dusty's everything for that matter) was the real highlight of the show though.

jred2k

It feels weird, I've watched more non-WWE wrestling this month than WWE programming. Aside from NXT and the odd Main Event match, this month has really been a dud. Meanwhile, I've managed to fill the void with PWG's Mystery Vortex II and the ROH/NJPW shows. Bassed on Bootaaay's review I'll be looking forward to checking out Progress 12 at some point, too.

RP912

Banned
I watched Starrcade 84 last night and it really wasn't good at all.

It was also weird watching a humbled flair compared to his "my shoes cost more than your house" flair.

Sblargh

Banned
It feels weird, I've watched more non-WWE wrestling this month than WWE programming. Aside from NXT and the odd Main Event match, this month has really been a dud. Meanwhile, I've managed to fill the void with PWG's Mystery Vortex II and the ROH/NJPW shows. Bassed on Bootaaay's review I'll be looking forward to checking out Progress 12 at some point, too.

I have yet to watch it, but if the ROH/NJPW shows are as good as people say they are, then you can say that WWE has been a dud, but wrasslin' is alive in indys.

Edit: Actually, I suddenly have so little time to watch stuff. The ammount of time I spend in this thread betray how little time I have to actually watch wrestling. :(

I'm actually sort of excited for the elimination match at Payback though. It could be something really special or it could create a giant spotlight on all the flaws Roman Reigns could have. I mean he isn't the worst but man, it could be a total shit show. But who knows?!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Late 1996 and the first half of 1997 PPVs are crazy. Three or five Cruiserweight matches per card, the TV belt being contested by super cruiserweights, then a middling tag match, then a ddp match, then a Horseman match, then a shitty NWO/Old WWF guy main events that suck. Rinse, repeat. Sometimes one of the Cruiserweight matches is replaced by people from the Mortal Kombat division getting a match.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder of all the Japanese wrestlers out currently, who would have the most chance to be the first Japanese WWE champion? since they don't count Inoki's win.

Shibata seems the most likely. Taller than Bryan, better look than most the Japanese guys. Okada's too skinny. Nakamura's too weird looking to translate to the average WWE viewer. Plus his body is lanky and a little flabby at times. Naito has the face and appeal, but it'd take some kind of miracle since he's only got an inch on Bryan

strobogo

Banned
Did stro ever review Hog Wild 96? I just watched a fair amount of it (stopped after Malenko/Benoit) and thought it was a more than alright show so far. Dusty's jean shorts (fuck it, Dusty's everything for that matter) was the real highlight of the show though.

No. I might get to it eventually. I would like to catch up with my COTC before I continue WCW PPVs. Once I get caught up (I think I'm on Clash 13 or 14), my next PPV to watch will be Starrcade 1994. I don't know if I'll review it or not.

FTFY.

MMA thread's thataway, friend.

Between UFC/NJPW/CHIKARA, I care about one of those things. Guess which one!

I wonder of all the Japanese wrestlers out currently, who would have the most chance to be the first Japanese WWE champion? since they don't count Inoki's win.

If we were a little earlier in time, Tanahashi would be a decent lock, considering he's big and basically has a real American wrestling philosophy on things.

Now? Shibata or Okada.
Watch KENTA win the fucking title somehow

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If Ibushi goes to WWE, Tanahashi's next book

"I can not believe Ibushi would go to the WWE and leave us. I can not believe he would try to advance his career. I will try to bury him if he comes back."

Maybe Trips wants to rebuild the Jr Heavyweight division. Would be more legit than the US/IC division. Build it around Ibushi, KENTA, and get Hayato too then put Kalisto in there and Daniel Bryan(huehuehue)

"I can not believe Ibushi would go to the WWE and leave us. I can not believe he would try to advance his career. I will try to bury him if he comes back."

Maybe Trips wants to rebuild the Jr Heavyweight division. Would be more legit than the US/IC division. Build it around Ibushi, KENTA, and get Hayato too then put Kalisto in there and Daniel Bryan(huehuehue)

You joke but putting Bryan in there with those guys would be so dope. He could lead that division. Maybe because I've been watching a little bit of 96 WCW but that shit could be amazing.

Kornflayx

Starting to watch War of the Worlds and it looks good to me production wise. Well, I last watched in 2008 so that's not hard.
But the announcers are so hilariously bad, especially Corino. Okada and Gedo stand in the ring and Corino goes like: "well there stands Gedo...." No shit? I can see that idiot.

AJ Styles' "too sweet me Bullet Club" got on my nerve really quick. Let's see if the matches deliver

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Starting to watch War of the Worlds and it looks good to me production wise. Well, I last watched in 2008 so that's not hard.

AJ Styles' "too sweet me Bullet Club" got on my nerve really quick. Let's see if the matches deliver

Good news then. AJ Styles still wrestles the EXACT same as in 2008

There aren't any parallels to be made between Shibata and Ibushi's careers - Ibushi made his name elsewhere. New Japan didn't spend years training him and building him up as one of the 'three musketeers' of the new generation, only for him to take a big money contract and jump ship to another promotion (that failed a little over a year later) when New Japan needed him the most. It's not at all surprising that there's a lot of resentment towards Shibata from the likes of Tanahashi, Tenzan, Liger, Sakaguchi, Yamazaki, etc and Shibata now needs New Japan more than New Japan need Shibata, at present.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There aren't any parallels to be made between Shibata and Ibushi's careers - Ibushi made his name elsewhere. New Japan didn't spend years training him and building him up as one of the 'three musketeers' of the new generation, only for him to take a big money contract and jump ship to another promotion (that failed a little over a year later) when New Japan needed him the most. It's not at all surprising that there's a lot of resentment towards Shibata from the likes of Tanahashi, Tenzan, Liger, Sakaguchi, Yamazaki, etc and Shibata now needs New Japan more than New Japan need Shibata, at present.

Just like Brock, Shibata's trip to MMA made him a better wrestler and more interesting character than if he stuck to strictly NJPW and fake MMA-ing. All they're doing is losing potential money.

ghostmind

WWE is building quite a roster though...

KENTA
Devitt
Pac/Neville
Generico/Zayn
Castagnoli/Cesaro
Samuray del Sol/Kalisto
Daniel Bryan

And now possibly Kota Ibushi?

Sblargh

Banned

I'll assume all these people are godlike, so sure; it would be like a old WWF PPV.

Starts awesome -> funny segment/match -> awesome midcard -> Main Event with top guy who can't wrestle.

If you make a title that that sends a signal to the smarks "this is the real world title, we're just not calling it a world title because these guys don't move merch", everybody would be happy... maybe.

Just like Brock, Shibata's trip to MMA made him a better wrestler and more interesting character than if he stuck to strictly NJPW and fake MMA-ing. All they're doing is losing potential money.

As long as they've got Shibata working for them, taking whatever shit they throw at him without complaint and saying the right sort of stuff in the press, then they can string him along until they do need him. It's not like there's a whole lot of other options for him on the table and it's not like New Japan are in a position that they need to make him the main event, they're drawing fine for the most part (although the Yokohama Arena show might change that and could be potentially embarrassing if they don't get it near capacity).

Also, while I agree he's better for his time in MMA, if he'd quit New Japan to do MMA I'm not sure it'd be quite as much of an issue. But he didn't, he quit New Japan to go be the big star of BML because he didn't like being in the shadows of Nakamura and Tanahashi.

Also, while I agree he's better for his time in MMA, if he'd quit New Japan to do MMA I'm not sure it'd be quite as much of an issue. But he didn't, he quit New Japan to go be the big star of BML because he didn't like being in the shadows of Nakamura and Tanahashi.

In Shibata's defense, Nakamura was bland as fuuuuck then and Tanahashi was just beginning his Air Guitar Reign of Terror

It seems Shibata's chilled out a bit though and is cool with whatever they give him now.

Hasney

After seeing the final Takeover card, I really hope that Sami/Neville is just built up until the next special event. That would be awesome.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Even at his worst, Shibata was ten times the better character and wrestler than Nak or Tanahashi in 2004. Shibata now is better than Shibata then, but it's nowhere near the gap of Shinskee now and Tanahashi now and then.

You make the Three Musketeers reference, but it's a lopsided three Musketeers. When you look at them. Hashimoto, incredibly beloved by wrestling fans. Like possibly the most beloved guy in Puro since Rikidozan and Inoki. Charismatic, unique, incredible wrestler. Keiji Mutoh/Great Muta. I don't have to tell you why Muta's great. Arguably the greatest ring psychologist of all time. Stupidly over and even recognized globally by wrestling fans as a star back then. Chono, incredible athlete who had an amazing babyface run who transitioned into one of the most memorable Japanese wrestlers of all time. Great endurance.

Tanahashi in 2004. Kinda charismatic. Repetitive. Shoved down our throats. I don't ever remember a Japanese babyface getting booed until Tanahashi happened. Nakamura. Seemed uninterested. Boring as fuck gimmick. Decent wrestler. Nowhere near as over as NJPW thought he was. Never felt like a main eventer. If I was Shibata and was told these guys were my peers and probably get paid the same if not more than me, esp Tanahashi? Fuck that. Shibata just did what his Musketeer counterpart did and went to a different company.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
and if I was Naito, i'd probably consider leaving too if I could. You build him and Okada up as this potential mega feud then you got injured and get stuck in the mid card? Amazing matches or not, you gave his fucking belt to AJ Styles on his first day working for the company.

Why ya'll hatin' on me for my feminism? :(

('nism will now mean feminism)

I do need a new tag team partner in GWF to fight against the massive inequality in our great sport. Thefrankman and I broke things off in GWF's offseason.
What happened to them? Haven't seen them around in ages.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I do need a new tag team partner in GWF to fight against the massive inequality in our great sport. Thefrankman and I broke things off in GWF's offseason.
What happened to them? Haven't seen them around in ages.

He got himself permanently banned trying to martyr himself for the NBA's thread being shut down for a few weeks.

After seeing the final Takeover card, I really hope that Sami/Neville is just built up until the next special event. That would be awesome.
They need a proper build, the lead up to this event has been absolutely awful. Card still has enough room for a Mojo match or second Divas match.

Top Bottom