• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

Zach

I was born in '84. Some of my earliest memories are of wrestling (specifically NWA/WCW). I stopped caring for a year or two when Hogan showed up in WCW. It was dull, even for a 10- or 11-year-old. During the summer of '96, I got back into it because of the nWo storyline. Still probably the most exciting TV I've ever watched (at that age it's so easy to suspend disbelief and be fully invested). The Monday Night Wars took off and WWF got crazy and naughty, so that of course was alluring to my young teenager self, so I very much bounced back and forth between the two until, oh, I don't know, 1999 or so and then I moved on with my life.

And now here I am again.

Sblargh

Banned
I was such a snob as a teenager, I can't help but think that I would have a negative view of wrestling for my entire life. Mostly due to me being a boring way-too-serious teenager, but regardless, I think I would either ignore it or, what is sadly likely, not respect people who enjoyed it.

strobogo

Banned
Part of me understands and is ashamed by my wrestling fandom. But another part of me can't understand why wrestling has the reputation it does when action movies and reality shows are totally fine to watch.

Alucard

Banned
Part of me understands and is ashamed by my wrestling fandom. But another part of me can't understand why wrestling has the reputation it does when action movies and reality shows are totally fine to watch.

The part of me that's ashamed is the one that sees the amount of macho bullshit and sexism that still exists and likely will continue to exist in pro wrestling.

FyreWulff

People get caught on "they're pretending the matches are real!" when it's really just live theater (and when you see a live show, it FEELS much more theater-y) that's 99% action scenes

strobogo

Banned
The part of me that's ashamed is the one that sees the amount of macho bullshit and sexism that still exists and likely will continue to exist in pro wrestling.

Macho bullshit and sexism?

iWBZrgKTuTBUY.gif

Sblargh

Banned

I was thinking about it and all I could come up with was that wrestling suffers from the same curse as comic books where the medium is confused with the genre.

Even with all the good non-superhero comics that come out and receive a fair share of mainstram attention, it still is a medium almost completely dominated by this one genre (at least in America).

I think pop culture (and in great part WWE itself) associates wrestling way too much with the concept of "soap opera for men". Of all the talk about how Russo is horrible, I feel that Vince believes he is a genius and totally buys into the theory that the perfect wrestling show is a Russo show edited by himself. It's kind of like if Marvel Comics and DC would have fused into one entity where management completely believes that the XTreme 90s of Rob Liefeld the top guy were their golden age.

Kaladin

I'm finishing up this season of Nashville. It should be renamed Swerve, because every episode has at least one. I think Vince Russo is booking this show sometimes. Strobogo would love it.

This thread is deader than the Network. Goddam. Tyson Kidd had a candidate for the worst promo of the year last night. Just incredible. What an awful build for this show....

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is deader than the Network. Goddam. Tyson Kidd had a candidate for the worst promo of the year last night. Just incredible. What an awful build for this show....
FACT! It wasn't good. Then he turns tail and runs. Who gives a shit? Tyler Breeze is the best and Bos promo on his exit was gold!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also, we need to talk OT2. Small OT. Who's game? Scheduled release time is tomorrow.

Top Bottom