• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Dontaku about Legit Shook

It's the King of Hearts birthday today !!

BJqriFLCAAIJlRW.jpg

strobogo

Banned
I think it was a bad call to make Ryback an actual heel in this feud. He should be a face and still a bad ass challenge to Cena. It makes him seem way more legit as a top face to be on the same level with Cena. But as a heel, he's just another in a long line to be fed to Cena. Even if he does win, it's hard to shake that stigma. But as a face, it would be something fresh and fairly unique for a Cena feud.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think it was a bad call to make Ryback an actual heel in this feud. He should be a face and still a bad ass challenge to Cena. It makes him seem way more legit as a top face to be on the same level with Cena. But as a heel, he's just another in a long line to be fed to Cena. Even if he does win, it's hard to shake that stigma. But as a face, it would be something fresh and fairly unique for a Cena feud.

They flipped him too quick. He should have had more time as a face.

Aiii

So not worth it
Especially turning him for a feud against Cena. I know WWE on-air lives in their own bubble where Cena is beloved by all, but they know half of the crowd hates the guy and will cheer for his opponent based on that alone. When they had him cut a promo where everyone over 12 went: "Oh yeah, he has a point" I figured they were embracing the fact that the crowd would be split down the middle, with one half cheering for Cena and the other half for Ryback.

Maybe they just forgot after the first week and defaulted Ryback into their basic chicken-shit heel template.

strobogo

Banned
It's really dumb. He should at least be a bad ass heel. Makes no sense for him all of the sudden to be running away from fights and whatnot. I think it would be better off for Ryback and for the main events as a whole if he stayed a face. At worst, you have another face on Cena's level. Now you've got a guy who will be stuck in Mark Henry's roll of dominate mid cards, have a random match against Cena every few months when they have nothing else for him to do.

I love his catchphrase. Its just so terrible, pointless and not needed.

RYBACK RULES.

Can't stop saying it though. It's like when Batista starting using "R U TALKING TO ME?" for a few weeks before WrestleMania.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's really dumb. He should at least be a bad ass heel. Makes no sense for him all of the sudden to be running away from fights and whatnot. I think it would be better off for Ryback and for the main events as a whole if he stayed a face. At worst, you have another face on Cena's level. Now you've got a guy who will be stuck in Mark Henry's roll of dominate mid cards, have a random match against Cena every few months when they have nothing else for him to do.

Ideally good booking will not have any redundant roles. Trying to have more than one monster heel that are focused on singles wrestling is redundant. If they were in a team or working together that's something else entirely, just...blegh.

There should be a list of rules WWE forces itself to never violate, one of those is redundant positions like that.

Classic Match of the Day:

Super Tiger vs Yoshiaki Fujiwara - (UWF 09/07/84)

Classic Match of the Day Playlist

Between 1984 and 1986 Super Tiger (Satoru Sayama, the original Tiger Mask) and Yoshiaki Fujiwara fought over 15 times for the newly-formed UWF, plus they did it again in 1997 and once more in 2009. Fujiwara was the first trainee of the New Japan dojo in 1972, trained by Karl Gotch & Antonio Inoki, while Tiger had emerged as New Japan's biggest star of the early 80's thanks to a series of innovative and impressive matches with the likes of Dynamite Kid & Tatsumi Fujinami. When they jumped ship to UWF it made waves in the Japanese wrestling scene, but also had a big effect on the style of wrestling presented by UWF, adding a focus on martial arts and submission wrestling to the ground-based, old school mat work that already predominated the young promotion. This style of wrestling would become known as 'shootsyle' and the rivalry between Super Tiger & Fujiwara was instrumental in its success. Here we have the 3rd match of the series. Super Tiger lost the first encounter, the veteran Fujiwara out-wrestling him and simply making it look easy. The second match started off much the same, but Tiger managed to hold his own and take advantage of Fujiwara's complacency to pull out a shock victory by the skin of his teeth. This time around, Super Tiger knows he can't fuck around. Fujiwara wants to avenge the loss he suffered and won't be giving Tiger the slightest of chances, so Tiger has only one option left to him; kick the absolute living shit out of Yoshiaki Fujiwara. Overall, this is a BRUTAL match. Well worth a watch, especially if you haven't seen much or any shootstyle before, because Fujiwara's mat work is amazing and the severity of Tiger's kicks will probably be quite a shock. Fujiwara's selling is just magnificent, as is the look of devious glee on his face when he regains control of the match and goes to work as only a true submissions master can. Likewise, Tiger sells the rear-naked choke perfectly and is totally on point with his reactions to everything Fujiwara does. Marvelous match.

ipEDka16jXrQR.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Last night I watched some of the Observer's match of the year collection.

Watched '84's Freebirds vs Von Erichs, a six minute messy brawl, then transitioned into '85's Tiger Mask II vs Kuniaki Kobayashi and these two matches were on different planets. Blows my mind that these were both the same sport, because they couldn't be more different. Really loved the Tiger Mask II match though.

jmdajr

I don't see why we couldn't have a Warrior / Hogan like feud.

Nova/Simon Dean verbally bitch slaps Bob Holly;

So I heard throught the grapevine that I was apparently "buried" in Bob Holly's book. My thoughts on this are as follows - Bob Holly was a good worker who I always had solid matches with.

Personally, he was despised by all who ever met him for being an a**hole bully who sucked the air out of every room he ever came into. Every person I ever knew in WWE hated the guy, with good reason. He was always miserable and treated everyone like crap. From taking liberties on Matt Capottelli (and to this day , how anyone can condone what happened, is truly insane) to beating up his fellow-drug-addict-loser-travel partner Rene Dupree, Bob showed his true colors, unless of course, the victims name was Brock Lesner, and then we all know how that worked out.

He was also the biggest "stooge" in company history as he spent more time on the road and TV in Johnny's office than Johnny's suit coat did! If you blinked the wrong way or sneezed , good old Plug was off to the races to Johnny, Vince, Taker or JBL..didn't matter who...that was how he stirred up sh** constantly for no reason, hence the reason he was there for so long. I don't care about stating the obvious , due to the fact I'm not going back to WWE either, so I guess that makes me and Bob equal.....

In thinking about it, I don't actually hate Bob. I pity him. You know why? Because of his ruined legacy and how he went out. Is Bob working as an agent or trainer? No. Is he in TNA or any other company? No. Even the few indys that had him never wanted him back. His "wrestling industry christmas card list" is probably 5 people long and no one has ever had a good word to say about him. Every agent who ever had his matches hated dealing with him and his lousy attitude.

Finally, lets all take a look at how Robert was cast off from the gates of the WWE. Did creative have nothing for him? No. Did he refuse a new contract? No. Did he get injured. No. His dismisal came after he was basically found crawling around backstage STEALING drugs from his "brothers". This had been going on for a while, so finally someone (Ken Kennedy, and good for him) decided to tell the office that Sticky Fingers had to go. And that was that.......

In closing , this will be the only time I address this misfit. The guy who pumped my gas this morning meant more to me than Bob ever did. In fact, he probably meant more, due to the fact he had a smile on his face and was a pleasure to be around.....

Watched '84's Freebirds vs Von Erichs, a six minute messy brawl, then transitioned into '85's Tiger Mask II vs Kuniaki Kobayashi and these two matches were on different planets. Blows my mind that these were both the same sport, because they couldn't be more different. Really loved the Tiger Mask II match though.

That Freebirds vs Von Erichs one is the sort of match that runs on the emotion surrounding the build up, but without that frame of reference it's entirely underwhelming. And, yeah, that Tiger Mask vs Kuniaki Kobayashi match is a lot of fun. Jr Heavyweight Kobayashi was pretty awesome.

Brinbe

Missed pretty much most of Raw (can only remember catching the Ryback-Bryan/Kane segment) and I don't feel I missed a thing. Significant progress in getting myself off this horrible Raw habit!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That Freebirds vs Von Erichs one is the sort of match that runs on the emotion surrounding the build up, but without that frame of reference it's entirely underwhelming. And, yeah, that Tiger Mask vs Kuniaki Kobayashi match is a lot of fun. Jr Heavyweight Kobayashi was pretty awesome.

Luckily I knew the score when the Freebirds vs Von Erichs was happening so I didn't have any disconnect from there - unfortunately, the camera work in that match was so incredibly bad, they cut away from moves I wanted to see no less than 7 times. I've been spoiled by modern day camera work. It was really bad. Granted, with a six man tag, you're going to miss some spots, but this was...a lot.

Classic Match of the Day:

Super Tiger vs Yoshiaki Fujiwara - (UWF 09/07/84)

Classic Match of the Day Playlist

Between 1984 and 1986 Super Tiger (Satoru Sayama, the original Tiger Mask) and Yoshiaki Fujiwara fought over 15 times for the newly-formed UWF, plus they did it again in 1997 and once more in 2009. Fujiwara was the first trainee of the New Japan dojo in 1972, trained by Karl Gotch & Antonio Inoki, while Tiger had emerged as New Japan's biggest star of the early 80's thanks to a series of innovative and impressive matches with the likes of Dynamite Kid & Tatsumi Fujinami. When they jumped ship to UWF it made waves in the Japanese wrestling scene, but also had a big effect on the style of wrestling presented by UWF, adding a focus on martial arts and submission wrestling to the ground-based, old school mat work that already predominated the young promotion. This style of wrestling would become known as 'shootsyle' and the rivalry between Super Tiger & Fujiwara was instrumental in its success. Here we have the 3rd match of the series. Super Tiger lost the first encounter, the veteran Fujiwara out-wrestling him and simply making it look easy. The second match started off much the same, but Tiger managed to hold his own and take advantage of Fujiwara's complacency to pull out a shock victory by the skin of his teeth. This time around, Super Tiger knows he can't fuck around. Fujiwara wants to avenge the loss he suffered and won't be giving Tiger the slightest of chances, so Tiger has only one option left to him; kick the absolute living shit out of Yoshiaki Fujiwara. Overall, this is a BRUTAL match. Well worth a watch, especially if you haven't seen much or any shootstyle before, because Fujiwara's mat work is amazing and the severity of Tiger's kicks will probably be quite a shock. Fujiwara's selling is just magnificent, as is the look of devious glee on his face when he regains control of the match and goes to work as only a true submissions master can. Likewise, Tiger sells the rear-naked choke perfectly and is totally on point with his reactions to everything Fujiwara does. Marvelous match.

ipEDka16jXrQR.gif

such an important time in wrestling, because Sayama would go on to create Shooto and hold the first modern era MMA (term didn't existed back then, was called professional shooting) fights in the late '80s.

lol, Punks the number 2 in the company. He has veto power you know. Besides it seems like he not coming back now till the build of Summerslam. Either that or they took away all those dates to make his comeback a suprise. He might show up at the Payback pay per view. Its in Chicago.

edit: Suprised there are no gifs yet of Davey Richards Stomping Londons face in.

Someone can apply GifCam to this video for Davey Richards stomping London's face.

Good job good effort at professional wrestling, Davey Richards.

I missed Raw for the first time in years. I was to busy watching the news about the girls in cleveland that were found. Anything worth watching?

Branson

I missed Raw last night and instead went out to eat with the gf and buy a bluray. Did I make the right call or should I catch some of raw?

Poster for DOMINION;

dM4vEee.gif

Okada's upset because he was mistakenly referred to on Japanese TV as the "Rain Man", while Togi Makabe is very well known as a frequent guest on various TV shows. Okada's said that, although Makabe doesn't deserve a title match, by beating him Okada can become more famous. He also added that Makabe isn't anywhere near his level and said "I am OK if he uses his chain, or something like that, so it will be a hardcore match!".

Also, CHAOS members Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka once again stole TenKoji's IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles at Sunday's New Japan show - now Tenzan has demanded Yano & Iizuka put their GHC tag titles on the line. Meanwhile, KES are still the NWA Heavyweight Tag Champions - triple tag title match at DOMINION?

Elsewhere, KENTA has said that if he defeats Takashi Sugiura at Pro-Wrestling NOAH's May 12th show, his next title defence will be against Yuji Nagata! KENTA was defeated by Nagata in the Global League last year and is looking to avenge his loss.

Striker

They flipped him too quick. He should have had more time as a face.
After his feud with Punk, he kind of lost some steam. Then he had a good Rumble lasting a long as he did, and uh... from January until Mania he basically was just a regular character. Little momentum, mainly featured in EC's six man tag against the Shield. Loses a very bad match at WM against Henry. Fast forward, he then turned heel and is after Cena for the title.

Sounds pretty shitty, but I expected him to be battling Cena after WM was out of the picture. It just was a shitty build-up after his little stint against the title with CM Punk back in November. He had no room to grow further as a main event caliber face.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of. Do they edit the crowds in those?

Oh yes they do. This is one of the reasons why, while well produced and immaculate from an AV perspective, I prefer original airs of all my WWE content. I want the real product, not the whitewashed one.

Also Boots, Okada's right. Magabe isn't on his level, not even close. I like Magabe a lot, too, but...nope.

jred2k

I missed a lot of Raw. Did they do anything to further Shield vs. Hell No other than recaps or did that get put aside for the Ryback vs. Hell No stuff.

Jamie OD

Someone can apply GifCam to this video for Davey Richards stomping London's face.

Good job good effort at professional wrestling, Davey Richards.

You can tell how concerned Nigel was in that moment. He above everyone else in that building knows how damaging a blow to the head like that was.

You can tell how concerned Nigel was in that moment. He above everyone else in that building knows how damaging a blow to the head like that was.

Yeah, every time something like this happens, or there's a unprotected chair shot, or someone takes a really dumb spot, Nigel's commentary becomes super awkward. It's like a mix of genuine concern and utter dismay and, while it probably actually adds quite a bit to the gravitas of the situation, knowing the effect such behaviour had on Nigel makes hearing that in his voice kinda uncomfortable.

jred2k

Ryback RULES.

He really just comes off as a buffoon who has no idea that everyone around him doesn't care. It could actually be intentionally funny, but I don't think Skip has the charisma to pull it off that way. At least it felt like the audience was having fun with the Feed Me More chant.

The beanie he wears is pretty funny too. They've tried to build him up as this big muscular threat, yet he needs a winter hat to be intimidating.

Top Bottom