• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Dontaku about Legit Shook

Aiii

So not worth it
imagemtur.jpg

imageztdj.jpg

I see what you did there WWE.

jmdajr

I just bought this on amazon. It was five bucks.

image.php

Not too bad. I needed something different from my usual power metal/death metal/traditional old school metal thing.

Another match announced for the AIW 2013 J.T. Lightning Invitational Tournament;

iCEQGlBcKoaIB.jpg

Thought it'd be TD vs Lyndon, seeing as they're both martial artists (Capoeira vs Monkey kung-fu) - that leaves Addy Starr to face 'All Ego' Ethan Page!

Plus, the 13th & 14th teams for the CHIKARA 2013 Tag World Grand Prix

igHsfHjdbhPoE.jpg

i4qinLLcceCBz.jpg

Still no idea how many teams are going to be in this thing.

Also, I was going through my collection and found this match from 2009;

Koji Kanemoto vs Kazuchika Okada - (NJPW 04/05/09)

Baby Okada! This is a pretty fun match, Okada gets to show quite a fair bit and the finish was pretty cool.

Question for those of you who don't watch the other feds besides WWE.

Is there a particular reason why? Time? Money? Just not interested? Curious to hear the results.

XenoRaven

image.php

Not too bad. I needed something different from my usual power metal/death metal/traditional old school metal thing.
I just got this too. Wasn't too hot on it at first but it's growing on me.

If you don't have Crack the Skye, do yourself a favor and check it out.

jred2k

image.php

If you like it I'd strongly recommend checking out the back catalog as well. Crack the Skye especially is worth a listen.

Sokantish

You should check out Crack the Skye, jmdajr

Is there a particular reason why? Time? Money? Just not interested? Curious to hear the results.

Lot of reasons for me, since I've never really watched it, I don't care about any of them. It seems like a lot of work and money to keep up with all the wrestling going on as well. I've watched a decent amount of the stuff you guys have linked before but other than that and $5 dollar wrestling I don't really bother with anything else besides WWE.

jmdajr

Just not interested in expanding the hobby really. I've been watching the WWE since Wrestlemania 6. I'll never stop watching it really, just so much history. There have been times when I have watched more or less, but I always have. I can enjoy it rather passively say cook while watching it, or doing something else. It's on cable, you know..don't have to go hunting some footage or anything. I wish I had more time for say movies or games but they require a bigger attention span. These days, doesn't really fit in the schedule.

bangai-o

Banned

ill watch some of the stuff that is linked from here. Otherwise i just watch Raw because i know the characters.

jred2k

I'm just starting to get in to other feds, mainly because of this thread and the recommendations I see people post. Its a little daunting at first to just jump in when there is so much content available. Until last summer I hadn't watched wrestling in probably 7-8 years so it seems overwhelming just getting caught up with people I enjoy now. The ROH compilations are pretty cool to have as a starting pointing to see where guys like CM Punk and Daniel Bryan came from.

UberTag

I'm seeing a lot of people post about missing RAW on this page and asking if they missed anything... as if they didn't already know the answer to that question.

Leviathan is my favourite, Mastodon rule!

I think I asked this a few times when I was first posting in WrassleGAF - the general response seemed to be either the expense of following indy/Japanese wrestling, or not being able to get into anything with such low production values. Of course, there were the usual "indy wrestling, LOL!" responses, but I understand that style of wrestling isn't for everyone.

Personally, I think the biggest obstacle is the money - you can watch 6+ hours of WWE programming for free on TV each week, but there's always going to be a pay wall for any wrestling that isn't televised. It's never really been a bother to me, because wrestling's always been a hobby I've paid for - I never had cable/satellite when I was younger, so I had to buy the VHS tapes or rely on friends recording stuff for me.

Fernando Fernandez said:
Had no idea TWGP was back! The reveal of Team WWF is probably one of my favourite CHIKARA moment.

CP Munk & Colt CaBunny were amazing!

XenoRaven

If you like it I'd strongly recommend checking out the back catalog as well. Crack the Skye especially is worth a listen.

You should check out Crack the Skye, jmdajr
Ha! I win!

The WWE was weird for me because it was so disappointing so often, but I kept watching and hoping that next time I wouldn't be disappointed. It was kind of like Lost, where there are a bunch of things bubbling under that you want a resolution to, but it never actually comes. So I'd spend 3 hours a week watching wrestling, and that was more than enough for me. I didn't really have the time to fit anything else in. Plus, it just seemed like a pain to get into. There's not really a weekly show you can just watch for free, you have to learn about all these new wrestlers, stories, and styles, the production values aren't as good, and there are just SO MANY to choose from that it's hard to settle on one. On top of that, there have been frequent complaints about issues with iPPVs lagging, cutting out, having sound problems, etc. That doesn't really inspire confidence that the upcoming ROH show is worth my money.

Wrestling Dontaku is the first non-WWE PPV I have ordered. This was after several members basically pleaded for everyone to watch Tanahashi/Okada on Daily Motion. It was one of the best matches I had ever seen. I love the in-ring style, I love the "big fight feel" they put on, and I love the crowd. I can echo other sentiments that if you want to pick just one, pick NJPW. That really helped me to break away from the WWE because I didn't feel lost in a sea of crazy indie feds.

Edit: Leviathan is damn good too. My second favorite Mastodon album. Also the album with the best cover art.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wrestling Dontaku is the first non-WWE PPV I have ordered. This was after several members basically pleaded for everyone to watch Tanahashi/Okada on Daily Motion. It was one of the best matches I had ever seen. I love the in-ring style, I love the "big fight feel" they put on, and I love the crowd. I can echo other sentiments that if you want to pick just one, pick NJPW. That really helped me to break away from the WWE because I didn't feel lost in a sea of crazy indie feds.

Complete bliss for your post

vzWa8Ni.gif

To those with some interest in watching some indy graps I definitely have to recommend PWG as the most "accessible" fed to get into. The story is basically all told in the ring, the tournaments are easy to follow, the talent they bring in is basically a "Best Of" in current indies, and I feel like that they do the best at producing a watchable show (medium-good-great commentary, well lit, camera work is done well).

Other feds - particularly the japanese feds - are pretty fun to watch, but you're right when you guess that it's the expenses that make it tough to keep following it. Dragon Gate in particular is always a spectacle.

And why does it look like BO snuck himself into that picture of the Young Bucks?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The reason why I don't watch a large amount of American indie wrestling is twofold - 1 is the cost, 2 is the production values, which are often dogshit. I know, I know - but that shit is important to me.

I narrow it down to mainly watching NJPW's new shit as it happens, as just following one fed is great (I'm strapped for time a lot of the...time) and a simple flat fee. Dumping all WWE programming unless I'm told to watch something helps as well. No more WWE PPVs.

Also NJPW is very easy to follow. For instance, if I'm a fan of say, Kevin Steen, how many different feds do I have to follow? NJPW keeps it pretty simple as their talent is either njpw only, or it's SPECIAL if they branch out, like how Nakamura goes to Mexico often just to get better.

bangai-o

Banned
i did try watching TNA though. but i wasnt liking it for some reason. It seemed like everyone there switches from bad guy to good guy so quickly. Like they are all Big Show.

jmdajr

The reason why I don't watch a large amount of American indie wrestling is twofold - 1 is the cost, 2 is the production values, which are often dogshit. I know, I know - but that shit is important to me.

I narrow it down to mainly watching NJPW's new shit as it happens, as just following one fed is great (I'm strapped for time a lot of the...time) and a simple flat fee. Dumping all WWE programming unless I'm told to watch something helps as well. No more WWE PPVs.

I usually just go to the Wings bar to watch WWE PPVs. My justification for junkfood!

jmdajr

i did try watching TNA though. but i wasnt liking it for some reason. It seemed like everyone there switches from bad guy to good guy so quickly. Like they are all Big Show.

Best thing about TNA is the TNA. I mean really, it is. Every time I turn it on Mickie James and Tessmacher ( or whatever her name is ) are busting out of their shorts.

Aiii

So not worth it

I agree, production values matter to me too. I like proper angles, good lighting and a good mix of sound.

That and time are the main reasons I don't watch much outside of WWE and TNA aside from an occasional Chikara bout.

PWG is prolly the best indy fed to get into as far as wrestling. As Perspicacity said, the storylines are simple and everything is told in the ring. You really can pick any show and will not be lost as far as what happened in the past. Production values are great as well. And you have Excalibur on commentary, one of the best in the business.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
and I think RoH is the best fed to get into if you want to see a lot of finishers

UberTag

Maybe if one of us gets sick enough to have a Make a Wish maybe we could wish for Cena to join PWG? What do you think, Beef?
You would have to contract age regression disease or something.
Cena could give a rat's ass about fulfilling your wish once you're over the age of 10.
He's sort of like Michael Jackson that way.

strobogo

Banned
The actual indie wrestling style can be super off putting if you've been a life long WWE only kind of person. I was initially drawn to it, but started to hate it because shows would be so exhausting. That and the Young Bucks contributed to me bailing out on PWG. Most indie shows still have a "top this" mentality from the opener to the main event. That's not good for pacing. There are no breathers in indie wrestling. There need to be. You can have every match go 110% with strike battles and crazy bumps all night.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Still better than his old one though.

What was Beef's old one? WCW-hater? Sunflower-hater? He's a good guy no matter what gimmick he's saddled with. That horrible FGC is rubbing off on him.

The FGC already has a Cena-equivalent, and it contains things I actually enjoy. Wrestling - and the IWC - have helped to kill my enjoyment of wrestling as a whole.

Top Bottom