• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Dontaku about Legit Shook

Jamie OD

Whatever happened to that wrestling "fed" that was being created by a writer and it would have seasons like a real show? I know this is incredibly vague but someone here has to know what I am talking about.

Wrestling Revolution Project? Yeah that is an odd one. Everything was taped and ready until Jeff Katz (the main man behind it all) had some sort of falling out with the other producers that stopped the project dead. He went through a long rant on Twitter a year ago explaining his side of the story but I can't remember the details. I think someone scammed him during that period and he isolated himself from everything until he went back to film making. They were even able to tape the pilot for a spin off show afterwards but I haven't heard anything since. It's pretty much dead and buried. Shame since from what I read it sounded like it would be goofy fun like Wrestling Society X was.

Edit: Ah, already answered a page ago.

strobogo

Banned
Except for the part where a lot of the wrestlers were old fat good old boys beating on each other on a Saturday night. I'm looking at you WCW.

I don't understand the negative tone in this. Old, fat good old boys beating on each other on a Saturday night is as pro wrestling as it gets.

All right, I thought about it and if I were to be given the reigns to a Wrestling Promotion on HBO I would just go full scripted and make the show about an upper level indy promotion (think ROH) after they get purchased by a TV production company and are getting a television deal. The format would be single camera/fake documentary, dark comedy.

I would want a mix of good character actors and actual pro wrestlers with some acting chops, no wrestlers would be keeping their full gimmicks + names and would instead play a "real life persona" and a "wrestling character". My immediate thoughts for wrestlers would be Joey Ryan (sleezy wrestling character but born again Christian behind the scenes), Necro Butcher (ultraviolent wrestler, with an implied drug addiction that causes him to have sever mood swings in the back), Chuck Taylor (gay villain wrestling character, ostensibly straight behind the scenes but probably actually gay and has severe internalized homophobia/self hatred), Kenny King + Mr. Touchdown (tag team of ultra-athletic dudes who live the gimmick and act like playboys). I also want to have Ultramantis Black in a semi-recurring role as basically... Ultramantis Black who never breaks character (in the locker room, at Denny's, etc.)

The show's protagonist would be the wrestling company's former top star who has just had his "spot" usurped by a body builder type who was hired by television production company who bought the company to be the Champion and face of the promotion's new direction. I was thinking Matt Morgan for the bodybuilder champion, hadn't decided on the protagonist but it would likely be an actor as I can't think of a wrestler I'd put in a leading role right now.

Further acting roles would be writers, agents, and meddling television executives. Another prominent role would be an ex-wrestler with a bad coke addiction who started the company and after selling out to the TV producers is still left as head booker/talent agent. I was thinking Woody Harrelson for this part.

The show would occasionally feature matches, but I'd invoke a lot of wrestling tropes and there would of course be an episode (season finale?) featuring some kind of screwjob/someone going into business for themself.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Office + Wrestling = Pepsi City Wrestling Power Double Hour

and some other things. It's an interesting concept. So you're saying every single bit is scripted in this? Or is it more an...improv?

strobogo

Banned
It sounds more like 30 Rock + Wrasslin. I'd watch that show. Would you run live shows as straight wrestling shows or just strictly the television show?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It sounds more like 30 Rock + Wrasslin. I'd watch that show. Would you run live shows as straight wrestling shows or just strictly the television show?

Hm, interesting thought - scripted and pre-filmed weekly show, then take the cast on the road for the rest of the week maybe? Basically as a supplement to the main show.

Aiii

So not worth it
All right, I thought about it and if I were to be given the reigns to a Wrestling Promotion on HBO I would just go full scripted and make the show about an upper level indy promotion (think ROH) after they get purchased by a TV production company and are getting a television deal. The format would be single camera/fake documentary, dark comedy.

I would want a mix of good character actors and actual pro wrestlers with some acting chops, no wrestlers would be keeping their full gimmicks + names and would instead play a "real life persona" and a "wrestling character". My immediate thoughts for wrestlers would be Joey Ryan (sleezy wrestling character but born again Christian behind the scenes), Necro Butcher (ultraviolent wrestler, with an implied drug addiction that causes him to have sever mood swings in the back), Chuck Taylor (gay villain wrestling character, ostensibly straight behind the scenes but probably actually gay and has severe internalized homophobia/self hatred), Kenny King + Mr. Touchdown (tag team of ultra-athletic dudes who live the gimmick and act like playboys). I also want to have Ultramantis Black in a semi-recurring role as basically... Ultramantis Black who never breaks character (in the locker room, at Denny's, etc.)

The show's protagonist would be the wrestling company's former top star who has just had his "spot" usurped by a body builder type who was hired by television production company who bought the company to be the Champion and face of the promotion's new direction. I was thinking Matt Morgan for the bodybuilder champion, hadn't decided on the protagonist but it would likely be an actor as I can't think of a wrestler I'd put in a leading role right now.

Further acting roles would be writers, agents, and meddling television executives. Another prominent role would be an ex-wrestler with a bad coke addiction who started the company and after selling out to the TV producers is still left as head booker/talent agent. I was thinking Woody Harrelson for this part.

The show would occasionally feature matches, but I'd invoke a lot of wrestling tropes and there would of course be an episode (season finale?) featuring some kind of screwjob/someone going into business for themself.

I want to watch this show. I want to watch this show right now. Give me this show Sunflower.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I want to watch this show. I want to watch this show right now. Give me this show Sunflower.

I would love Pepsi to pitch it to HBO but alas I ain't got no connections like that ;(

Ithil

what if you were sitting behind where AJ was sitting on the ropes?

I was, last month.

RigKlkB.jpg

I make no apologies.

somedevil

WWE RANK'D: Extremely Bad Gimmick Matches according to them:

8: Chamber of Horrors
7: Monster Truck Match where the Giant fell to his "death"
6: Hog Pen Match
5: 49'ers Match with Scott Hall Picture
4: Pinata on a Pole Match
3: King of the Road Match where both guys were fired for blading
2: Tuxedo match
1: Kennel From Hell Match

http://www.wwe.com/videos/wwe-rankd-extremely-bad-gimmick-matches-26114659

Also, Mark Madden wants Impact of Fire Aries for putting his nuts into Hemme face when she announced his team wrong.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/editorials/272329-impact-should-fire-aries-actions-on-impact-not-a-work

Kaladin

A behind the scenes wrestling sit-com with a mix of scripted sit-com scenes and wrestling action would be awesome.

It would have to be an hour to work in full wrestling matches though, I'd say one or two per show.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like making a topic on gaming-side that uses "legit shook" in it. How's this sound?

What one title going multiplatform would make you legit shook?
Were you legit shook at the Wii U's sales?

strobogo

Banned
I'll disagree with Mark Madden on anything on the basis of Mark Madden. Firing is a bit much, but a fine and possible suspension is completely justified. There are different rules when you're on camera. There just are. I think termination would be the right course of action if he did it in the locker room.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A behind the scenes wrestling sit-com with a mix of scripted sit-com scenes and wrestling action would be awesome.

It would have to be an hour to work in full wrestling matches though, I'd say one or two per show.

Behind the scenes wrestling would be rated XXX with how slimy the locker room is.

jred2k

I feel like making a topic on gaming-side that uses "legit shook" in it. How's this sound?

What one title going multiplatform would make you legit shook?
Were you legit shook at the Wii U's sales?

First Game that Legit Shook your Hands with its Rumble

Gaming side seems to love remember when or my first ______ threads.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
First Game that Legit Shook your Hands with its Rumble

Gaming side seems to love remember when or my first ______ threads.

This is fantastic, thread is out there. I used legit shook 3 times!

I saw it as a heel being a heel. I didn't think anything more behind it.

Well here's a question. When is it too much? When is it actually harassment in that situation? The lines are EXTREMELY blurry.

Meeting Mechashiva tonight and going to Raw with him. Good times ahead.

I've traveled this fine country with Mechashiva and you sir are in for a treat tonight. Just don't challenge him to a game of No Mercy it's not worth feeling like a complete loser when he dominates you.

Well here's a question. When is it too much? When is it actually harassment in that situation? The lines are EXTREMELY blurry.

I don't know the story behind the scenes and all that but just going by what was on TV, seemed like a dick move, something that Aries' character would do.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know the story behind the scenes and all that but just going by what was on TV, seemed like a dick move, something that Aries' character would do.

This sounds kinda like the whole Gary Busey or Snoop Dogg thing - where someone is so fuckin weird or crazy that shit doesn't happen to them.

Gary Busey attacks a man while waiting for food? Eh, that's just Busey being Busey, he's crazy.

Snoop Dogg pulled over and had marijuana on him? That's just Snoop Dogg, he does that sort of thing.

Fuckin geniuses if you ask me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Mechashiva had front row seats so he could be slapped by Ryback and sell it for the rest of the night.

If it's any consolation I'll get him to slap me, then he can oversell the slapping while I am legit shook

jred2k

I don't remember it very well, but I'm sure Hemme did something more humiliating over the course of the Diva Search. That shouldn't excuse sexual harassment, but she has to realize shes in a professional wrestling ring and weird shit comes with the territory. That said, it was just a dumb little thing that happened during a live show and it seemed like the type of thing Aries character should do.

If it's any consolation I'll get him to slap me, then he can oversell the slapping while I am legit shook

When you get slapped you should roll down the staircase. You could be the unofficial fourth Shield member for a night.

Kaladin

This is the same business where almost every untalented female does bronco busters/stinkfaces.

Yeah, and really that looks tamer than any stink face I have seen. The only way I could see Hemme not being cool with it is if it just happened out of nowhere, but that would be more of the surprise factor than the grossness of the act.

jred2k

I'd like to see Curb Your Enthusiasm with Kane and written by SoulPlaya. He'd basically go through life without confrontation and just be a nice guy. What a great show that would be.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd give Garry Shandling the HBO wrestling show. It'd be just like Larry Sanders but with the wrestling. That'd be a mega hit.

God I love Garry Shandling. Man's a comedic genius - if anyone could hit the tone I wanna hear and see, it'd be him. Larry Sanders show was absolute gold.

Someone said The Rock looked legit shook (as in it wasn't a work) when Cena pointed out that he had promo notes written on his arm, and a WrassleGaf meme was born.

It was jmdajr!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe if Garry Shandling takes over TNA and is in charge...that'd be a great roster for him to work with.

Yeah actually 30 Rock is probably the closest to what I have in mind, but with HBO level sex and violence. I think that for each episode of the actual show there would be a corresponding live show with a papered/studio audience (or film one live show per every three or so episodes, whatever).

The live shows wouldn't show any of the backstage segments and would have a few full matches that would only get clips on the actual television show. Then each episode would feature one or two "storyline" matches that are shown in their entirety, but are filmed and cut to be "behind the scenes" style and relate to whatever the backstage storyline is that week. Again 30 Rock is a pretty apt comparison here, but there would be a bit more focus on the "show within the show" than there is on 30 Rock.

mrboo001

Banned
This might be old news, but from the Take-Two FY13 Results thread:

Entered into an exclusive multi-year agreement with WWE granting 2K the exclusive worldwide rights to publish the popular WWE video game franchise across all major platforms and distribution channels. The series, which will continue to be developed by Yukes in Japan, will combine the studio’s signature gameplay with 2K’s commitment to authenticity in WWE® 2K14, which is planned for release on October 29, 2013.

link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557176

There goes any chance of the game improving... :(

Yuke's is also making the Pacific Rim game. In a lot of ways I sort of really just hope they re-skin WWE 13, as really I just want a robot game where I can give the vertebreaker to a giant ersatz Godzilla monster.

Top Bottom