• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Dontaku about Legit Shook

Deathmatch wrestling should be more ridiculous spots and spectacles than guys bleeding all over each other. BJW seems to get that.

Definitely, the wrestling is always solid in BJW, especially with the younger guys like Kodaka, Takeda, Miyamoto, Tsukamoto, etc. They still bleed a hell of a lot, but you get a lot less of the shit you see in US deathmatches where guys are just taking it turns to gouge at each other's foreheads.

strobogo

Banned
How did deathmatch shit even start? Like who decided "hey, people like horror movies, we should do live action ones and see how many scars we can get"?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You've been given the go-ahead to pitch a wrestling show idea to HBO who are in the market for one, but they want to see a product that is different from everything out there. Given a 2-hour timeslot once a week, what kind of show would you produce that would set it apart from "lots of dudes in masks" (CHIKARA) or "bloody deathmatches" or overproduced kiddie material (WWE) and sub-par aping of WWE (TNA)?

How could you reinvent a wrestling show to make it interesting and not like anything else out there?

Aiii

So not worth it
You've been given the go-ahead to pitch a wrestling show idea to HBO who are in the market for one, but they want to see a product that is different from everything out there. Given a 2-hour timeslot once a week, what kind of show would you produce that would set it apart from "lots of dudes in masks" (CHIKARA) or "bloody deathmatches" or overproduced kiddie material (WWE) and sub-par aping of WWE (TNA)?

How could you reinvent a wrestling show to make it interesting and not like anything else out there?

It is HBO, so at least 15 minutes of nudity per show should get you the deal.

Lets see, seriously? Perhaps let go of doing everything on th arema itself and take a more serialized aproach to wrestling. Produce in seasons and write storylines per season, make the feuds seem more real and personal, have feuds extend further than the arena and wrestling ring. Make it seem like these are not just co-workers that are acting, but two people that really hate eachother.

And since it is HBO, treat it like an adult show. Adult people making adult choices, more depth to characters instead of the black and white archtypes they have now. Though, to be fair, this requires alot of writing and acting skills.

Oh, and have women that are treated like competitors on the same level as men.

That would be my wrestling show.

Whatever happened to that wrestling "fed" that was being created by a writer and it would have seasons like a real show? I know this is incredibly vague but someone here has to know what I am talking about.

Penguin

That is a good question

Ironically something was thinking of earlier this morning

I want something that kind of has the set-up of a movie.. but you need constant compelling characters and interactions to make it work.

I guess something that combined the real lives of wrestlers (travel, their personal relationships) with their in-ring antics.

Perhaps dealing with getting over, match planning and pacing and finding your gimmick

strobogo

Banned
Main change I would make is have all the storylines connected. No bullshit segregation of Cena's feud and everyone else. Everything needs to be connected and intermingling, more like comics.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Me personally I'd bring kayfabe back in a big way, make everything incredibly legitimate and reaching FAR beyond what kayfabe is now. You saw Jay Briscoe tweet about shooting a gay kid, or whatever that was? Make that be part of kayfabe. Make absolutely abhorrent things be part of their characters. Remember how people were legit hated from all those southern territories? Let's get people upset again.

That and a solid win-loss record that has gravitas on the title picture as well as having no road schedule and the ability to take very painful spots that LOOK entirely legit - bring it all back. Realism! People would be willing to take more potato shots if they only have to do it once a week.

Kaladin

It would have a mix of wrestling styles including deathmatches, with rules where anything goes in the ring in any match, and nothing would be censored. In fact, it would have HBO's signature over the top TV-MA content in all aspects of it.

Think a modern day ECW on HBO.

Aiii

So not worth it
Me personally I'd bring kayfabe back in a big way, make everything incredibly legitimate and reaching FAR beyond what kayfabe is now. You saw Jay Briscoe tweet about shooting a gay kid, or whatever that was? Make that be part of kayfabe. Make absolutely abhorrent things be part of their characters. Remember how people were legit hated from all those southern territories? Let's get people upset again.

That and a solid win-loss record that has gravitas on the title picture as well as having no road schedule and the ability to take very painful spots that LOOK entirely legit - bring it all back. Realism! People would be willing to take more potato shots if they only have to do it once a week.

Exactly, make it more real. Less of the fourth wall breaking crap. Nothing on Raw matters anymore, wrestling feels more fake than ever, because nothing they do make me feel like they have any real consequences.

Lesnar destroys HHH's office? Lol, nobody cares lol!

Sunflower said:

Worked shootfight/strongstyle wrestling with a strong emphasis on submissions, knockouts and big power moves in the ring and reality TV style storytelling outside of the ring. The gimmick would be that the fighters book their own matches and, as such, feuds and alliances would grow organically, helped by the backstage, reality TV style segments which would follow select fighters about their routines and highlight their interactions with the other fighters. Eventually a tournament would be held to crown a champion and afterwards Win/Loss records would count towards title shots, so although anyone could theoretically challenge anyone, a strong record would be needed to take on the champion. I would also emphasise that the higher placings on the card means more money, winners get paid more and the champ gets paid the most, which would bring a sense of basic meaning to every bout on the card.

How did deathmatch shit even start? Like who decided "hey, people like horror movies, we should do live action ones and see how many scars we can get"?

It was pretty much Onita, when he founded FMW and had the first exploding cage match against Tarzan Goto in 1990. Of course, there had been guys who often cut their opponents or bled themselves before then, Tiger Jeet Singh and The Great Kabuki come to mind, later Mr. Pogo & Matsunaga, but I believe Onita was the first to coin the 'deathmatch' phrase and turn it into a regular attraction for his promotion. As FMW gained in popularity, promotions like BJW & IWA-Japan appeared which focussed almost entirely on deathmatch wrestling. IWA-Japan in particular is a big reason why the style became known in the US, due to their frequent use of Terry Funk and the infamous Kawasaki Deathmatch tournament, which in turn influenced ECW, IWA-MS & CZW.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I also feel that HBO would need to hire on a continuity expert to keep books on everything and stop an angle if it goes against someone's nature. WWE in particular is dogshit with continuity. A nice "no dropped angles" mandate and nothing meaningless. Nobody gets "jobbed out" as everything would have a purpose.

What would cutting out live shows do?

1. Less injury prone
2. Less money made (erk!)
3. Less perpetuation of feuds that should already be done

Here's another question for everyone who answered though - would you run a live show? I say absolutely for my idea - for a new age of kayfabe it's gotta be live.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

*applause* Bring kayfabe back.

strobogo

Banned
I don't think pro wrestling can be reinvented. All of the ideas have been done. Shoot style/faux MMA: Done. Reality TV style backstage and angle stuff: Done by TNA with Reaction and Tough Enough. Hard continuity: Dodgy, but done by various promotions at various times. Over arcing, company wide storylines: Done many times. Everything that can be done has been done in pro wrestling. The real issue is picking a style and look and doing it well, instead of trying to do something new. Trying something new just leads to ridiculous gimmick matches.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think pro wrestling can be reinvented. All of the ideas have been done. Shoot style/faux MMA: Done. Reality TV style backstage and angle stuff: Done by TNA with Reaction and Tough Enough. Hard continuity: Dodgy, but done by various promotions at various times. Over arcing, company wide storylines: Done many times. Everything that can be done has been done in pro wrestling. The real issue is picking a style and look and doing it well, instead of trying to do something new. Trying something new just leads to ridiculous gimmick matches.

Is continuity a selling point at all? I'd have to say no. People probably give no fucks for that, but I think attention to detail is important.

Would you incorporate the internet, and if so, how? I'd say it's an absolute must, but...how do you use it well for this? What are some of the most successful uses of the internet by promoters or wrestlers?

only thing left is legit fighting with adapting story-lines.

think UFC with worked angles that change depending on who actually wins, with pro...

oh wait, that UFC already.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
only thing left is legit fighting with adapting story-lines.

think UFC with worked angles that change depending on who actually wins, with pro...

oh wait, that UFC already.

UFC is compelling to me because of the shooting, because anything CAN happen. Where it severely lacks to me is personality. If we can get some of both, and find a company not afraid to take some WILD chances, and show they can adapt to it...shit, then I'd be watching every week.

Aiii

So not worth it
I also feel that HBO would need to hire on a continuity expert to keep books on everything and stop an angle if it goes against someone's nature. WWE in particular is dogshit with continuity. A nice "no dropped angles" mandate and nothing meaningless. Nobody gets "jobbed out" as everything would have a purpose.

What would cutting out live shows do?

1. Less injury prone
2. Less money made (erk!)
3. Less perpetuation of feuds that should already be done

Here's another question for everyone who answered though - would you run a live show? I say absolutely for my idea - for a new age of kayfabe it's gotta be live.

Spoilers would kill your show, so yes, I would run live shows. I can understand why people run taped shows, but without the element of surprise nhe shows are only half as fun to watch. Plus people end up pre-deciding wether to watch or not based on inacurate descriptions of the shows.

Work twitter
Work the dirt sheets
Do fake shoot interviews to set up future feuds

Basically, turn the internet wrestling community on itself, but then most of that stuff would be lost on the vast majority of the viewing audience.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Conversations like this make me wonder what state WWE is going to be in by the time HHH and Stephanie get their hands on it.

Probably won't be a lot yet.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Photo from a friend of mine who is a DJ - man they get up early.

ivoJbfE.jpg
The great thing about Kane is that he's great. Waking up extra early, when he likely just got in last night, to promote a show tonight, then he'll be off after the show to travel again.

Oh yeah, Bryan too.

Aiii

So not worth it
The great thing about Kane is that he's great. Waking up extra early, when he likely just got in last night, to promote a show tonight, then he'll be off after the show to travel again.

Oh yeah, Bryan too.

And every other wrestler worth anything to WWE.

UFC is compelling to me because of the shooting, because anything CAN happen. Where it severely lacks to me is personality. If we can get some of both, and find a company not afraid to take some WILD chances, and show they can adapt to it...shit, then I'd be watching every week.

that why Lesnar vs Mir 2 was the high point for them. 2 guys who talked shit like no else in the company.

that why GSP highest PPVs were againt 2 shit talkers (Diaz and BJ).

that's why Anderson Silva's biggest PPV was vs Sonnen.

that's why Bones Jones highest PPVs were vs Sonnen and Rashad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
that why Lesnar vs Mir 2 was the high point for them. 2 guys who talked shit like no else in the company.

that why GSP highest PPVs were againt 2 shit talkers (Diaz and BJ).

that's why Anderson Silva's biggest PPV was vs Sonnen.

that's why Bones Jones highest PPVs were vs Sonnen and Rashad.

Jones put up big buyrates ever? Oh yeah the opponent did ALL the work.

Seriously, when UFC has two clashing personalities not afraid to talk shit or cut their own promos, the product is elevated to huge levels of hype. GSP/Diaz was a perfect storm, too. Do you like the nice guy or the dude from the streets? Oh wait, the dude from the streets is speakin some truth...shit maybe he's right...hey...hey, fuck GSP! This dude is a clown! Get him Diaz!

And then you go cry alone because you can't believe you cheered for Diaz and you now can't enjoy GSP at all anymore.

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh, and no dancing, no awful commentating, no fat jokes, no slut jokes, no heel runs off and gets counted out on purpose finishers. No faces acting as heels. And no pushing of people that can't get over (for instance: Miz).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, and no dancing, no awful commentating, no fat jokes, no slut jokes, no heel runs off and gets counted out on purpose finishers. No faces acting as heels. And no pushing of people that can't get over (for instance: Miz).

I think faces doing heel things has its place. Sometimes a crowd (and keep in mind, this should be done sparingly but to great effect) love it when the good guy finally gets his hand on the beat stick that the heel has been tormenting him with for a month, and finally turns the tables on him.

I say let there be fat jokes, let there be slut jokes - if they fit. But tell a good goddamn story about it - about the prissy little skin and bones harpy that finally gets what's coming to her with a plus-sized finisher that puts her through the ground. But don't turn it cheap. Make it an earnest, good storyline. One where people would be pulling for the big girl. Wanting her to overcome that kind of bullshit.

Whatever happened to that wrestling "fed" that was being created by a writer and it would have seasons like a real show? I know this is incredibly vague but someone here has to know what I am talking about.

The Wrestling Retribution Project. The entire first season was shot and they kept fucking up distribution or production deals and as far as I know there hasn't been any news in over a year.

Which is really a shame because it had a pretty cool cast: Joey Ryan, Kenny Omega, MVP, Luke Gallows, Joey Ryan, Chris Hero, Colt Cabana, Karl Anderson, Sami Callihan, Brian Cage, and a whole bunch of other indy/former WWE guys, but no one got to keep their former names or gimmicks.

The Wrestling Retribution Project. The entire first season was shot and they kept fucking up distribution or production deals and as far as I know there hasn't been any news in over a year.

Which is really a shame because it had a pretty cool cast: Joey Ryan, Kenny Omega, MVP, Luke Gallows, Joey Ryan, Chris Hero, Colt Cabana, Karl Anderson, Sami Callihan, Brian Cage, and a whole bunch of other indy/former WWE guys, but no one got to keep their former names or gimmicks.

The guy ended up having some sort of personal crisis and losing a ton of money, but he promises that the show's still coming - it's currently in post-production, but no word on when it'll be done.

strobogo

Banned
Thanks for your input man. It's nice to know it's not just me noticing all this stuff. I imagine this is sort of what a book club feels like only with more sweaty men in revealing tights

Glad you liked it good sir. It was fun to write.

Try to avoid watching hundreds of hours in a few months and doing write ups for all of them. You'll hate wrestling and yourself.

XenoRaven

Try to avoid watching hundreds of hours in a few months and doing write ups for all of them. You'll hate wrestling and yourself.
Yeah once a month is good for me thanks.

If it makes you feel any better I enjoyed your write-ups! I just couldn't read all of them.

Anth0ny

Work twitter
Work the dirt sheets
Do fake shoot interviews to set up future feuds

Basically, turn the internet wrestling community on itself, but then most of that stuff would be lost on the vast majority of the viewing audience.

This. I feel like this is the best they could do in today's wrestling environment.

Of course, none of these things can be mentioned/acknowledged by Michael Cole on the show, or it throws all believability out the window. Unfortunately, I can't ever see that happening.

They've done stuff like this before. Remember the Angle/Lesnar storyline leading into Mania? Angle had like 20% strength in his arm because his neck was fucked up so bad, so the IWC was convinced he was going to drop the title on Smackdown and get surgery. Remember, Angle's injury was not a part of the actual angle. Instead, they brought Angle's brother on the show when he was to "drop the title", and Angle just went on to Mania, half crippled. Swerved the fuck outta me.

That's what it was. I was really intrigued about it. I remember one of the wrestlers (I want to say Joey Ryan), was suppose to be a gay wrestler but he just happens to be a wrestler who is gay. Not someone like Goldust or Orlando Jordan.

The guy ended up having some sort of personal crisis and losing a ton of money, but he promises that the show's still coming - it's currently in post-production, but no word on when it'll be done.

Gotcha. Thanks.

It would be cool to have a Mad Men/friday night lights/ The wrestler style of show where it is bout the behind the scens/personal life stuff as it is about the in ring action.

the pov character could be a new/indioe guy who ges sucked into the dirty side of the business
a
could be really cool show if done right.

Top Bottom