• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Dontaku about Legit Shook

Aiii

So not worth it
This next game is a Yukes game, but after that they'll take over production of the game. There was no time for that this year.

Aiii

So not worth it
That is what they press released. They'll absorb Yukes into their own developing team.

One thing they should surely have is better testing compared to THQ.

Kaladin

That is what they press released. They'll absorb Yukes into their own developing team.

One thing they should surely have is better testing compared to THQ.

In that case, WWE 2k14 should be 100% improvement over Yuke's previous releases. It always seemed like THQ had minimal testing if any on those games.

Toki767

I thought the deal was something along the lines of they had to use Yukes because they were owed money in the contract deal with THQ and WWE and in order for the WWE license to not get put up in the THQ auction, they WWE had to give up the money THQ owed them and some other junk.

LLfMPnT.jpg

So it appears that after the PCW event on 31st May I am going to a stand up comedy show featuring Nigel Mcguiness and Mad Man Manson

This could go one of two ways

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I will believe that when I see it happen.

I'm 99.9999% sure they're working on a new engine right now. It was a trailer for WWE2K14 already released which looks exactly like 13 except with updated t-shirts for Cena. 2K14 just looks like a roster update.

Alucard

Banned
So, anything interesting planned for Raw tonight? Thinking I'm just going to stop watching until Bret Hart night at the end of the month. I've already missed the past two weeks. *badge of honour and taste*

mrboo001

Banned
I'm 99.9999% sure they're working on a new engine right now. It was a trailer for WWE2K14 already released which looks exactly like 13 except with updated t-shirts for Cena. 2K14 just looks like a roster update.

That makes me wonder if it would be better for the series just to take the year off and get any 2K improvements to the engine, instead of having a possibility crappy title tarnish the brand.

Then I remind myself this is the WWE, like they would care.

Kaladin

Haven't they been using this engine since PS2?

jred2k

So, anything interesting planned for Raw tonight? Thinking I'm just going to stop watching until Bret Hart night at the end of the month. I've already missed the past two weeks. *badge of honour and taste*

Its the go home raw for the big post WM PPV. not a chance they botch it. We're even getting a dance off between Fandango and Jericho :)

strobogo

Banned

I think it has been basically the same engine since Smackdown 2, which was still PS1. For sure by the third game, which was like a year into the PS2.

Its the go home raw for the big post WM PPV. not a chance they botch it. We're even getting a dance off between Fandango and Jericho :)

Lol. They botched the entire build up to WM. What makes you think the go home show to the PPV after will be good when they fucked up for 3 months straight before their biggest show of the year?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
That makes me wonder if it would be better for the series just to take the year off and get any 2K improvements to the engine, instead of having a possibility crappy title tarnish the brand.

Then I remind myself this is the WWE, like they would care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuTfkZewHBM

Pretty sure Vince wants a game out for the holidays no matter how shitty it is.

It's not the same engine as the Smackdown games. It was a new engine starting with WWE 12.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
You've been given the go-ahead to pitch a wrestling show idea to HBO who are in the market for one, but they want to see a product that is different from everything out there. Given a 2-hour timeslot once a week, what kind of show would you produce that would set it apart from "lots of dudes in masks" (CHIKARA) or "bloody deathmatches" or overproduced kiddie material (WWE) and sub-par aping of WWE (TNA)?

How could you reinvent a wrestling show to make it interesting and not like anything else out there?

A behind the scenes wrestling sit-com with a mix of scripted sit-com scenes and wrestling action would be awesome.

It would have to be an hour to work in full wrestling matches though, I'd say one or two per show.

Yeah actually 30 Rock is probably the closest to what I have in mind, but with HBO level sex and violence. I think that for each episode of the actual show there would be a corresponding live show with a papered/studio audience (or film one live show per every three or so episodes, whatever).

The live shows wouldn't show any of the backstage segments and would have a few full matches that would only get clips on the actual television show. Then each episode would feature one or two "storyline" matches that are shown in their entirety, but are filmed and cut to be "behind the scenes" style and relate to whatever the backstage storyline is that week. Again 30 Rock is a pretty apt comparison here, but there would be a bit more focus on the "show within the show" than there is on 30 Rock.

I actually would have two different pitches, depending on the direction HBO would be going for in the future.

The first one, an hour long, would be similar to that above. Only not a fully comedic show like 30 Rock, but rather closer to that of what Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip wanted to be but couldn't because it was too "offensive and cruel for what really goes on behind the scenes of SNL". Go full measure and make a show on what it was supposedly like for so long in wrestling, between the attacks and ribs and slurs, the "wrestling court" and so forth. It wouldn't have the same "no, you can't do that", because it would be HBO and no Lorne Michaels or other executive power to depotentiate it due to fear of what it would do to their actual show it's imitating. Likewise it wouldn't fall under the issues of The Newsroom because it wouldn't be preaching of "good and proper way of being news-people".
If they couldn't go full fledge with that, then Larry Sanders Show style which exaggerated the silliness of late night talk shows while still highlighting the good and bad. If you haven't seen The Larry Sanders Show, go do so as it's quite funny even if you are someone like me and didn't care about 90's American late night shows or Letterman and Leno real world actions.

The other show would be real with the least amount of staging/forced editing of most reality shows. Not TNA Bootcamp lie or Tough Enough style nor full documentary that tries to make everyone seem horrible and worse for it that is so popular now, but rather closer to the Wrestling Road Diaries Colt Cabana and Bryan Danielson did a while back with more of the shows.
Basically create a new promotion and area to travel around. Having wrestlers go through the process of travelling around and having those conversations in the car, have them training and learning what to do, show the horrible accidents that can happen, have them put up the ring and take it down, show some going to their "normal jobs", wave farewell as someone has to move to get better jobs or another promotion offers them more, etc.

I offer both those suggestions honestly having very little knowledge or exposure to HBO.

strobogo

Banned
If A Double was a normal sized human, his junk would be no where near Christy's face. But since he's barely 5 feet tall, shit just lined up that way.

Tough Enough would have been a way cooler show if they only gave the wrestlers 100 bucks each and told them to drive 400 miles in a day to be in time to set up the ring at their next show in Dayton Ohio or wherever the fuck.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I made a Dwarven Pirate Great Weapon fighter in Neverwinter and his name is Baern Battlebeard.

WWE should use the Neverwinter name generator.

Kaladin

This full lineup for the next Evolve show is out, lineups for Evolve 21 and 22 are coming soon.

EVOLVE 20
Thursday, May 30th, 2013
Orlando Armory
2809 S. Ferncreek Ave.
Orlando, FL 32806
7:30pm Belltime

EVOLVE Title Match
AR Fox defends vs. Nick Jackson of The Young Bucks

Champion vs. Champion Non-Title Attraction
Johnny Gargano vs. Matt Jackson of The Young Bucks

Dragon Gate Showcase Match
EITA vs. Tomahawk T.T.

Special Challenge Match #1
Samuray Del Sol vs. Anthony Nese

Special Challenge Match #2
Chuck Taylor vs. Brian Cage

FRAY!
(starts with two competitors, another enters every 2 minutes, eliminations can take place anytime by pinfall, submission or DQ until one competitor is left)
The Participants Are: Andrew Everett, Caleb Konley, Jon Davis, Lince Dorado, Shane Strickland, Tommy Taylor

Entertainment Match
The Bravado Brothers vs. Sugar Dunkerton & Maxwell Chicago

This looks like a great show, that Dragon Gate showcase match should be amazing.

This looks like a great show, that Dragon Gate showcase match should be amazing.

Taylor vs Cage should be fun, but I totally wanted to see Del Sol vs Cage :(

Eita vs Tomahawk should be awesome, but I'm not too excited by much else on there, really. The Bucks in singles matches do absolutely nothing for me.

XShagrath

This full lineup for the next Evolve show is out, lineups for Evolve 21 and 22 are coming soon.

EVOLVE 20
Thursday, May 30th, 2013
Orlando Armory
2809 S. Ferncreek Ave.
Orlando, FL 32806
7:30pm Belltime

Looks like a good card. It'll be my first time seeing most of these guys live. Going to the NXT show the night before as well.

Kaladin

Taylor vs Cage should be fun, but I totally wanted to see Del Sol vs Cage :(

Eita vs Tomahawk should be awesome, but I'm not too excited by much else on there, really. The Bucks in singles matches do absolutely nothing for me.

Pretty much the same here, but you know they will be good technically sound matches that you will likely be entertained by. It's like The Briscoes in singles titles matches when they're holding the tag belts at the same time.

They've been making Cena look like a chump for the past month. Hopefully they let him get some sort of win or something tonight, this is fucking ridiculous.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Tough Enough would have been a way cooler show if they only gave the wrestlers 100 bucks each and told them to drive 400 miles in a day to be in time to set up the ring at their next show in Dayton Ohio or wherever the fuck.

"We told you this would the hardest weeks of your life, but you all have been so nice, let's go to a tropical vacation resort on MTV's account!". That kind of stuff just ruined it for me.

Top Bottom