• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| May I Fancy You To A Nice Arse Whipping?

Heroman

Banned
Will this man win the Best of the super Junior?

tumblr_ntigqdRXnK1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

DMczaf

2000 dirt sheet carnies

At press time, exactly what is going on between WCW and ECW regarding current ECW heavyweight champion Mike Awesome is apparently up in the air.

In a strange series of circumstances, it appeared that Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo, in their attempt to re-create the debuting impact of Nitro in 1995 with Lex Luger's surprising walking on the set, combined with the incident where Madusa threw the WWF womens title belt in the garbage can, since they were unable to secure any WWF talent, made a huge pitch to garner ECW's heavyweight champion.

Awesome, who apparently had more than two years remaining on a deal through the late summer of 2002 with ECW, started the weekend by no-showing matches on 4/6 in Cleveland and 4/7 in Warren, OH. There had been some rumors the previous weekend regarding Awesome jumping, with Paul Heyman claiming it would be impossible because of their existing contract. Heyman and contracts have always been one of those strange deals because of the widespread belief, justified numerous times in the past, that wrestlers claimed by the promotion and even in many cases by the wrestlers themselves as being under contract to the company, actually weren't. Sabu represented himself to WCW as not having had a written contract with ECW, which as it turned out, wasn't the case, which has left him in temporary limbo.

When Awesome missed the first show, there was no cause for concern since he stated that his flight from Florida was grounded and he had never missed a show previously. The next night, he claimed his flight had been delayed again when he hadn't arrived, and just before show time, reports from the arena claim Jeff Jones talked with him and he said he had landed and would be at the arena shortly. But once again he never arrived, which raised legitimate suspicion even though nobody in ECW up to that point was aware of internet reports of his leaving for WCW. By that evening, word was getting around about a report on the Bubba the Love Sponge radio show that morning in Tampa, a known wrestling fan who has worked with all three major promotions when they run the city and is well known for being friends with Terry Bollea and Jimmy Hart, claiming that WCW had made Awesome a high six-figure per year offer and he was joining the company. By the next day, it was fairly common knowledge in wrestling that he had accepted the WCW deal and was not going to return to ECW and drop the title before leaving. It was generally regarded, whether Heyman had or hadn't treated him fairly, that by no-showing the final weekend and not dropping the title in the ring before leaving, he was acting unprofessionally, whether by his own designs, or through encouragement of WCW to throw the belt itself in the garbage can on Nitro and make a statement regarding questions about whether ECW had surpassed WCW for the No. 2 spot.

seth vs joe has no heat at all it's depressing

I like Joe a lot, but there's an interesting trend developing around him.

He feuds with Balor. People say it's underwhelming and disappointing. Most seem to blame Finn.

He feuds with Nakamura. People say it's underwhelming and disappointing. Most seem to write it off as them not having chemistry and/or Nakamura not trying.

He feuds with Seth. People say it's underwhelming and disappointing. Most seem to blame it on Seth being a bad babyface.

Those are his last three major feuds. And yes it's entirely possible that he has just had the worst run of luck ever when it comes to opponents, but it's definitely something to point out. Hell, you take out his very short feud and match with Sami and it looks even worse.

Michael called the Punjabi Prison a chamber of Horrors :0
given smackdown's current state doubt it'd be any better there
On SD, I don't think we'd feel like it's been done a thousand times.

He feuds with Balor. People say it's underwhelming and disappointing. Most seem to blame Finn.

He feuds with Nakamura. People say it's underwhelming and disappointing. Most seem to write it off as them not having chemistry and/or Nakamura not trying.

He feuds with Seth. People say it's underwhelming and disappointing. Most seem to blame it on Seth being a bad babyface.

Those are his last three major feuds. And yes it's entirely possible that he has just had the worst run of luck ever when it comes to opponents, but it's definitely something to point out. Hell, you take out his very short feud and match with Sami and it looks even worse.
He just needs his old theme back.

When Joe doesn't click with someone, he really doesn't click with them.

Seth having had lackluster matches with most of his opponents since coming back doesn't help either.

I loved this morning on Observer Radio when Alvarez complained about Seth doing his comeback with knee attacks without selling the knee and Meltzer just said "they do that in Japan all the time! That's just how wrestling is now." Completely took the air out of his argument.

On the same show, Meltzer said Alicia Fox has the best Northern Lights Suplex of all-time.

I loved this morning on Observer Radio when Alvarez complained about Seth doing his comeback with knee attacks without selling the knee and Meltzer just said "they do that in Japan all the time! That's just how wrestling is now." Completely took the air out of his argument.

On the same show, Meltzer said Alicia Fox has the best Northern Lights Suplex of all-time.
It's so weirdly good. I don't think Alicia is anything special in the ring but that suplex is fantastic.

Foggy

Well, I mean, if you're going to follow that thread of logic you should also ask when was the last time Finn, Nak, and Seth have had good feuds. And then ask what the common thread among Finn, Nak, Seth, and Joe is.

Hogan will use that to politic his way into getting over Braun clean at Mania 34.

Hogan should be able to just go to an immediate Hulk Up Spot, do a couple of worked punches and go for the pin. Mania ends with Hogan standing tall and fireworks going off in the distance.

Well, I mean, if you're going to follow that thread of logic you should also ask when was the last time Finn, Nak, and Seth have had good feuds. And then ask what the common thread among Finn, Nak, Seth, and Joe is.

Well okay.

Finn's been out for so long, but his feud with Owens was good (so only two feuds ago given how long he was out).

Nakamura just came off a good feud with Roode.

Seth had a decent feud with Triple H, but his last good one I would say was with Roman when he first came back.

So yeah, none of those guys have had as many underwhelming feuds in a row as Joe.

Finn never had a good one.
Seth had the Ambrose feud like 2 years ago?
Nak had the Sami one.
Match created specifically to be a Khali unique stipulation match

Khali isn't medically cleared so Big Show has to be in it.
Watching the one with Khali in it. This is what Vince wants.

Foggy

Well okay.

Finn's been out for so long, but his feud with Owens was good (so only two feuds ago given how long he was out).

Nakamura just came off a good feud with Roode.

Seth had a decent feud with Triple H, but his last good one I would say was with Roman when he first came back.

So yeah, none of those guys have had as many underwhelming feuds in a row as Joe.

I think given the law of averages the bad/good feud ratio will even out among all involved. It's certainly not like Joe is missing some crucial piece.

Top Bottom