• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| May I Fancy You To A Nice Arse Whipping?

He feuds with Seth. People say it's underwhelming and disappointing. Most seem to blame it on Seth being a bad babyface.

Those are his last three major feuds. And yes it's entirely possible that he has just had the worst run of luck ever when it comes to opponents, but it's definitely something to point out. Hell, you take out his very short feud and match with Sami and it looks even worse.

I don't watch NXT weekly but Joe was put in a really tough spot here. He was brought in as the #3 guy after HHH and Owens neither one is around anymore and then wasn't built up in a mid-level feud. Seth isn't hot enough to overcome that.

Isn't ZBJ involved in a feud with Minoru Suzuki?

ZSJ is the newest member of Suzuki's faction. He's kind of the #2 guy by default since everyone else is treated like a jobber or hurt.

Sephzilla

Zach > Zack

power-ranger-dance.gif

Pikma

Banned
So barring an unexpected addition next week, the Backlash card seems to be:

Breezango vs. Usos for the tag titles

Charlotte/Becky/Naomi vs. Carmella/Natalya/Tamina

Orton vs. Jinder for the WWE Title

Sami Zayn vs. Baron Corbin

Owens vs. Styles for the US Title

Nakamura vs. Ziggler

For reference, the card for Takeover the night before is (so far):

Itami vs. Roode for the NXT Title

Asuka vs. Ruby Riot vs. Nikki Cross for the Women's Title

DIY vs. AoP in a ladder match for the tag titles

Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate for the UK Title
Wonder what Black, Hero, Almas, Drew and Sanity will be doing

I think given the law of averages the bad/good feud ratio will even out among all involved. It's certainly not like Joe is missing some crucial piece.

It might, and I agree that Joe is great. I like him a lot.

I'm mainly pointing out that so often his opponents are getting blamed for his bad feuds, when recent history suggests he's been in more weak feuds than most of them.

MG310

I like Joe a lot, but there's an interesting trend developing around him.

He feuds with Balor. People say it's underwhelming and disappointing. Most seem to blame Finn.

He feuds with Nakamura. People say it's underwhelming and disappointing. Most seem to write it off as them not having chemistry and/or Nakamura not trying.

He feuds with Seth. People say it's underwhelming and disappointing. Most seem to blame it on Seth being a bad babyface.

Those are his last three major feuds. And yes it's entirely possible that he has just had the worst run of luck ever when it comes to opponents, but it's definitely something to point out. Hell, you take out his very short feud and match with Sami and it looks even worse.

I would blame the nature of NXT on the Finn/Nakamura feuds more than anything. The first matches were enjoyable in those feuds but in the case of Shinsuke particularly they rushed through more matches that didn't really add anything.

I don't like anything about this Seth/Joe feud though. Seth is fighting Oddjob after he already killed Goldfinger. On top of that it feels like his brain hasn't caught up to his body yet so he's doing all the things he used to do but at half speed.

I would blame the nature of NXT on the Finn/Nakamura feuds more than anything. The first matches were enjoyable in those feuds but in the case of Shinsuke particularly they rushed through more matches that didn't really add anything.

How can you make that argument when Balor's feud before Joe (with Owens) was good, and Nakamura's feud after Joe (with Roode) was also good? Both of those were in NXT too.

Raw viewership - 2.69 million viewers

Lowest non-holiday number in over two decades.

Monday's WWE Raw television show averaged 2.696 million viewers. Viewership was down from the 2.870 million average from last week.

The first hour of Raw averaged 2.827 million viewers. Hour two drew 2.845 million viewers. The final hour of the show averaged 2.417 million viewers.

That third hour is fucking rough.

Batista got that X Pac heat with me when he turned on Rey.
Lol
Rey wasn't even over with little latino OwensIsNow.

Over myself?

You're dang right I'm over myself!
Zach is over with Zach

But weirdly, Zach is not over with Zack

But Zack is over with Zach
Zach does blachface. It's wack. Attack the Zach.

Raw viewership - 2.69 million viewers

Lowest non-holiday number in over two decades.

That third hour is fucking rough.
giphy.gif

It a good thing ratings don't matter.

LOL, yeah WWE can always fall back the never-ending expansion of cable in American households to keep this going.

Seriously, that number against a dull assed GSW playoff game is dreadful. They may break 2 million against a big football game.

Foggy

How can you make that argument when Balor's feud before Joe (with Owens) was good, and Nakamura's feud after Joe (with Roode) was also good? Both of those were in NXT too.

I think you're conflating "people say" in your original post with your personal feelings on the feuds. I would be in the "people say" camp in regards to Nak's lack of effort affecting his feuds but I wouldn't agree with you that his feud with Roode was anything approximating good. I think if you wanted to build on any thesis that Joe lacks chemistry or is a weak link then you'll have to dig deeper than nebulous "people say" comparisons.

I wonder how far the number can fall before it levels off to the point where it will just be watched by the same number of people every week forever no matter what.

They have like 1.4 million paid Network subs, so it's probably around that.

I think you're conflating "people say" in your original post with your personal feelings on the feuds. I would be in the "people say" camp in regards to Nak's lack of effort affecting his feuds but I wouldn't agree with you that his feud with Roode was anything approximating good. I think if you wanted to build on any thesis that Joe lacks chemistry or is a weak link then you'll have to dig deeper than nebulous "people say" comparisons.

Absolutely not. I enjoyed the Joe/Balor and Joe/Nakamura feuds for the most part. But it's absolutely the general sentiment I've seen online that they are both disappointing.

I kind of disagree with Meltzer about NJPW no selling being as egregious as WWE. The matches are presented in totally different ways. Look at Omega selling his knee in the G1 match against Naito or selling his arm against Kushida at WK last year. Or Juice a couple of weeks ago.

There is a difference between Ishii no selling to prove he is a tough cunt and Rollins holding his knee for 5 seconds then doing knee based offense with his bad knee or Neville coming out with taped ribs and hitting all of his flippy shit with no consequence.

Foggy

Absolutely not. I enjoyed the Joe/Balor and Joe/Nakamura feuds for the most part. But it's absolutely the general sentiment I've seen online that they are both disappointing.

Even then, it's not like general sentiment or differences in general sentiment can illuminate any sort of qualitative worth. It's all just what you're familiar with. I'm sure anyone could spend time in a random large pocket of internet wrestling fandom and come away saying that "people say" those feuds were all trash or they were all tremendous.

I kind of disagree with Meltzer about NJPW no selling being as egregious as WWE. The matches are presented in totally different ways. Look at Omega selling his knee in the G1 match against Naito or selling his arm against Kushida at WK last year. Or Juice a couple of weeks ago.

There is a difference between Ishii no selling to prove he is a tough cunt and Rollins holding his knee for 5 seconds then doing knee based offense with his bad knee or Neville coming out with taped ribs and hitting all of his flippy shit with no consequence.

That was Alvarez's counter-argument, but Meltzer didn't seem to agree. He said the Juice match was different, but most of wrestling today is doing your comeback with little to no selling.

Zach

Probably gonna watch SummerSlam 2010 tonight. Had the brilliant idea to check out 2010 WrassleGAF. Dark days, daddeh, but I'm enjoying the predictions:

Nexus defeats the Super Friends. They need to keep Nexus going, it's the best storyline they have right now. I don't know who the 7th guy will be, but I'm thinking either the Miz (who may screw it up somehow for Cena's team) or Evan Bourne (yawn).

For me Bret Hart is the leader in the clubhouse for the heel turn. No way Cena turns on the team. It's either gonna be Hart, or HHH will come out and prove to be behind Nexus.

NEXUS wins, by Bret Hart running out back to take out Ortunga, Ref down Cena and Wade Barett left JR runs in gives a stunner to Cena and Wade gets the pinfall.

Team WWE vs. The Nexus (Elimination Tag Team Match)
Winner: The Nexus. Really digging this feud. I'm hoping something big happens tonight.

JR being behind Nexus would be awesome and a great swerve on the internet folks.

Nexus should win, a heel turn would be nice. Bryan Danielson would be even better.

Team Jericho vs. Nexus: There's really no debate, one of these two things will happen:
Winner: Nexus, but if HHH returns on Team WWE, Team WWE

Team WWE vs. The Nexus (Elimination Tag Team Match)
Winner: Superfriends. Triple H is the final member. LOL at anyone thinking it's Daniel Bryan.

Danielson's 90-day no-compete clause isn't even up yet. It's not him.

No way it's HHH as the last member. No way the wwe would blow a return that could possibly result in more ppv buys by just having him show up unannounced. Especially on one of the big 4 ppv's.

Miz will end up being the last one and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up walking out on the team.

Not sure why people expect anything else (than The Miz). Didn't they already tease that on Raw? It's not hard to tell.

>_>

Pikma

Banned

Three words:

Susuki versus Okada

ElRenoRaven

Yup. Huge difference. BTW did you guys hear the news. WWE decided that the Adam Rose gimmick was too good to let go to waste so when Braun comes back he's being repackaged as Adam Rose.

Top Bottom