• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| May I Fancy You To A Nice Arse Whipping?

I don't hate the wrestlers discussed in last page by any stretch of the imagination. Sometimes it's as simple as "not for me" and thankfully there is a style out ther suited for the right fans.

On Corbin, Corbin impressed me on an individual level. The guy comes off super nice in shoot interviews, he's worked hard to take off a lot of weight and the dude isn't juicing himself to cut corners. He keeps his matches simple and I think what I like the most about him is that he works at getting better by setting smaller goals than overwhelm himself by everything he may not be good at.

Look at his strikes when he first started to where he is today. He has some of the best strikes in the ring right now.

We'll see where he lands in a year or two from now. My biggest complaint about him is his look and I don't mean the hair. The wolves t shirts irked me as it looked like he stumpled into some Cherokee diner in some boon town in Oklahoma and thought "oh hey+ there's an idea!". Thankfully he has switched it up a bit.

Eh, she's all right, but largely because she's playing the only female character that WWE writers know how to do well - a bitch.

So wait, is the promo ability on her or the writers? You can't move the goalposts like that. She's good at delivering the material, which makes her a good promo by definition.

If we're taking the quality of the material into account, then I don't know how you can judge the promo ability of anyone in WWE.

An update on the Io Shirai situation. Her and Toni Storm went to a time-limit draw in their title match, so she still has the Red Belt. Mayu Iwatani won the White Belt from Kairi Hojo in the co-main event and then came out after the draw and challenged Io for the Red Belt.

So as for what it means, well I'm not sure. I felt like if she kept the title that was a sign she was staying, but to have Mayu challenge her so quickly after beating Kairi is odd. So maybe Mayu will win both belts. But then again, Io's reign is probably reaching it's natural end anyways even if she isn't leaving. She's going on 500 days with her current run.

As for Toni, I'm still of the same belief. She'll be with WWE this time next year, even if she's not in the tournament.

https://youtu.be/N1EjA_css0s

The best story in wrestling today got its big payoff...

This is how you tell a story on youtube...

Well done Bucks...

Marty Scurll will rep Bullet Club at Best of Super Juniors!!! I liked Marty before but man his work on The Elite youtube show made him one of my favs in wrestling right now. Picture perfect execution of the Adam Cole story that basically actually started at that NJPW show where he interrupted Kenny's This Year is my Year promo

Also lol Bucks camera guys got a better shot of it all than the ROH cameras did. Much better visual composition on the big reveal

Lyng

Unpopular opinion: Roman Reigns sells quiet well and puts on good matches. And the fact he gets hated on so much makes me like him even more.
And with the top of the wwe card apparently beeing reserved for huge boring dudes (Jinder, Brock...) I am fine with Roman beeing there.

Rimfya

Banned
Unpopular opinion: Roman Reigns sells quiet well and puts on good matches. And the fact he gets hated on so much makes me like him even more.
And with the top of the wwe card apparently beeing reserved for huge boring dudes (Jinder, Brock...) I am fine with Roman beeing there.
I only have two issues with Roman, his booking, and his sulk-face when he's beat up/losing. He never looks angry at losing, just in need of a hug.

Hasney

I only have two issues with Roman, his booking, and his sulk-face when he's beat up/losing. He never looks angry at losing, just in need of a hug.

I also have issues with his promos, matches and 100% of his character on top of those issues. Other than that, I have no problems.

Great. Hopefully you end up liking him so much that you end up buying his old ring gear in auctions.

Lyng

I also have issues with his promos, matches and 100% of his character on top of those issues. Other than that, I have no problems.

Great. Hopefully you end up liking him so much that you end up buying his old ring gear in auctions.

Ah yes. What are your problems with his in ring work then?

Ha ha ha one of the dues from Kings of Leon decided to insult wrestling fans on twitter by implying you're not an adult if you watch wrestling....

Wrestling Twitter responded with a lot of gifs... and indie wrestlers responded too

The dude then claimed "satire" and acted like he was being abused by gifs....

Oh and told Veda Scott to close her legs...
Followill-tweet-1494340125-compressed.jpg

Who's the adult again?

https://dailyddt.com/2017/05/07/aj-styles-undertaker-wwe-retirement-comment/

Hasney

Ha ha ha one of the dues from Kings of Leon decided to insult wrestling fans on twitter by implying you're not an adult if you watch wrestling....

Wrestling Twitter responded with a lot of gifs... and indie wrestlers responded too

The dude then claimed "satire" and acted like he was being abused by gifs....

Oh and told Veda Scott to close her legs...

Who's the adult again?

https://dailyddt.com/2017/05/07/aj-styles-undertaker-wwe-retirement-comment/

He didn't claim satire, he claimed someone grabbed his phone.

"Ok. Look. Crazy story. Just got back from the bathroom. Somebody tweeted some dumb shit on my phone. Needless to say, suplex city! All good."

Ah yes. What are your problems with his in ring work then?

He works an decent WWE babyfsce style of getting beaten up, overcoming that to hit some big spots and then go home, but that formula is tired. He can go when he's allowed like the AJ matches and the one against Bryan, not just because he was working with great guys, but because it was face v face it was a more even offense.

Lyng

He didn't claim satire, he claimed someone grabbed his phone.

"Ok. Look. Crazy story. Just got back from the bathroom. Somebody tweeted some dumb shit on my phone. Needless to say, suplex city! All good."

He works an decent WWE babyfsce style of getting beaten up, overcoming that to hit some big spots and then go home, but that formula is tired. He can go when he's allowed like the AJ matches and the one against Bryan, not just because he was working with great guys, but because it was face v face it was a more even offense.

But then isn't that then (again) more of a problem with how and with whom he is getting booked?
Look I am not putting him anywhere near the level of Aj, Kenny, Okada etc, but I also think he is a lot better then many give him credit for. It is weird hearing people slam Roman and calling him shit in the ring, while at the same time praising someone like Jinder. That's mental in my opinion.

Honestly I want them to turn him heel. But do it differently. Have Vince come out claiming he is fired, only for Roman to turn up and beat everyone, and beeing a asshole about it. His promo after mania was amazing. I want more of that.
Have him feed on that hatred.

Hasney

But then isn't that then (again) more of a problem with how and with whom he is getting booked?
Look I am not putting him anywhere near the level of Aj, Kenny, Okada etc, but I also think he is a lot better then many give him credit for. It is weird hearing people slam Roman and calling him shit in the ring, while at the same time praising someone like Jinder. That's mental in my opinion.

Honestly I want them to turn him heel. But do it differently. Have Vince come out claiming he is fired, only for Roman to turn up and beat everyone, and beeing a asshole about it. His promo after mania was amazing. I want more of that.
Have him feed on that hatred.

Yeah it's still how he's booked, but it just means I don't want to see a second of him.

Don't worry, I think Jinder is worse so I'm not a crazy person. He's just newer.

Pikma

Banned
He probably watched last week's RAW, or the week before, or Payback, I certainly wouldn't blame him in any of those cases

Pretty much, Roman would probably be about where they wanted him to be at this point if they just allowed him to get there organically with some time as a solo heel which he badly needed instead of immediately going to the old Hulk Hogan/"over coming the odds" Super Cena 2.0 booking that a lot of people over the age of 13 have been sick of since the 90s but Vince and his cronies don't seem to believe in growing and evolving (I have a feeling some with creative influence see evolution as a dirty word) organically or subtly for that matter, Vince has made it abundantly obvious for decades that being subtle isn't his strong suit.

An update on the Io Shirai situation. Her and Toni Storm went to a time-limit draw in their title match, so she still has the Red Belt. Mayu Iwatani won the White Belt from Kairi Hojo in the co-main event and then came out after the draw and challenged Io for the Red Belt.

So as for what it means, well I'm not sure. I felt like if she kept the title that was a sign she was staying, but to have Mayu challenge her so quickly after beating Kairi is odd. So maybe Mayu will win both belts. But then again, Io's reign is probably reaching it's natural end anyways even if she isn't leaving. She's going on 500 days with her current run.

As for Toni, I'm still of the same belief. She'll be with WWE this time next year, even if she's not in the tournament.

I saw that result on Twitter and yeah the outcome of that Io/Mayu match is probably the one that will be the most telling.

Sure do.

He does come across really well in them.

I love that the Adam/Marty/BC/Bucks/Omega story all was 90% built on that YouTube show and that they then paid it off on a big ROH PPV, started it on NJPW, ran it on YouTube and finished it on ROH

And this is why the Bucks are so successful as they are.

Ospreay's better WrassleGAF gives him credit for, but there's no surprise there. So many of your "opinions" are so fucking hyperbolic. Like that "Adam Cole is a terrible wrestler" shit take someone posted yesterday. Yeah, buddy. Sure. That's why WWE are so keen on signing him, they just can't get enough of terrible wrestlers.

You can't have a fantastic match if you don't sell anything. Selling is half of what it takes to be a good wrestler. Osprey is half a wrestler.

You guys have watched him do a few flippy-do's and think that's all he can do. Go watch the Shibata match. Go watch his heel run in IPW:UK. Go watch Havoc torturing him, and then tell me he can't sell.

G1 Specials in LA will have a tournament for the new IWGP US Championship...

Look at that fucking thing... it's beautiful

I wonder if this will be more a US indies/ROH belt that occasionally gets seen on NJPW World events

I'm guessing it'll replace the ROH title's role on bigger NJPW PPVs. I'd prefer to see the belt remain in the US the majority of the time, New Japan doesn't need another regularly defended title.

I'm guessing it'll replace the ROH title's role on bigger NJPW PPVs. I'd prefer to see the belt remain in the US the majority of the time, New Japan doesn't need another regularly defended title.

Eh given that a belt is often the only reason we get any one on one matches I'm not sure another title would be such a bad thing...

I love that the Adam/Marty/BC/Bucks/Omega story all was 90% built on that YouTube show and that they then paid it off on a big ROH PPV, started it on NJPW, ran it on YouTube and finished it on ROH

And this is why the Bucks are so successful as they are.

Yeah, I completely agree. I love everything about it and thought it was really well executed.

They are basically doing what Vince said he wanted people to do back in that interview he did with Austin a couple of years ago.

Yeah, I completely agree. I love everything about it and thought it was really well executed.

They are basically doing what Vince said he wanted people to do back in that interview he did with Austin a couple of years ago.

It's also proof that obvious/predictable is not synonymous with bad....

It was obvious Cole was going, it was obvious Scurll was going to replace him in Bullet Club... the pay off worked not because anyone was all that surprised but because they pulled the trigger beautifully on something we've been wanting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IVlpB2H-w0

heres the full entrance btw if you love the image
tumblr_inline_nhmh4qbgq41rl71nb.gif

That Aerial Assassin!

Marty Scurll is one of the good ones

A fan sent him this on twitter

He replied

https://twitter.com/MartyScurll/status/861127151331966976

and then elaborated

Villains truly are better than faces.

Actually it's funny having both Ocean Spray and Scrull mentioned in the same post of mine because the only match I've seen fully for both is them facing each other, the match really could've used more selling because Ocean Spray just wouldn't stop flippy dipping.

RBH

...and yet, none of the people he taught in NXT can cut a decent promo at all. Weird.
I think it's more a testament to how much Dusty was on another level when it came to promos rather than an indictment of his teaching ability. Some things you just can't feasibly teach 1:1 to someone else.

Dusty was a big help in other things. It's no mistake or coincidence that it was after his death that the NXT TV quality took a fall and has only recently started to get better.

Many terrible Brit Wres hot takes in the last page or two. Y'all Yank cowards wait until we're all asleep to trash our boys /s
mostly
I think tonight we'll get a very good idea on the future of Io Shirai. She's defending the Red Belt against Toni Storm. I think if she drops it, it might be a sign that she's leaving Stardom or they think she's leaving. If she wins, I think it's basically guaranteed she's staying for the foreseeable future.

Conversely, I don't think Storm is long for Stardom if she loses. Hell, I don't know if she's long for it even if she wins.
May 14, Korakuen Hall
◆World of Stardom Title
Io Shirai & Toni Storm battled to a 30 minute draw. https://t.co/c8WOhClWch

Welp.

Pikma

Banned
G1 Specials in LA will have a tournament for the new IWGP US Championship...

Look at that fucking thing... it's beautiful

I wonder if this will be more a US indies/ROH belt that occasionally gets seen on NJPW World events
Beautiful? That shit is ugly as fuck, makes the WWE's version look like a fucking work of art

YOU STILL GOT IT! ;-;

Will do. "Blackened" death metal is usually awesome. As long as it is more atmospheric than "brutal" I'll probably like it.

Thanks for the recommendation :)

The Maliblis promo is more on the brutal side but isn't as chaotic as something like Blasphemy, Revenge, Conqueror etc. In my opinion anyway. But it might not be your cup of tea.

I think, uh, Pissgrave's album from 2015 is one of the better death metal albums in recent years. The riffs around 1:40 here are fucking nightmarish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_1kmZ4NekQ Thankfully that video doesn't have the album art, because it is really fucking horrible :( but it may pop up if you listen to more.

I'm going to see Grave Miasma and Taake next month. I'm not the biggest Taake fan but Grave Miasma are probably my favorite metal band from the UK right now. I still have their first demo tape from when they when they had a different name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OaG0DoD9CA

Top Bottom